• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The trailer clearly shows Maiko attacking in Carnage Form (presumably Azura), so it seems like they have Mirages.
Yeah, I know that she at least has one, but I just mean that it's not mentioned in the description or even highlighted in the reveal videos. Makes me think that it'll just be part of the aesthetic and story elements that lead her to being able to participate in Sessions, but not as a fully playable character.

Nov 17, 2017
The trailer clearly shows Maiko attacking in Carnage Form (presumably Azura), so it seems like they have Mirages.
Oh man, I saw that in the trailer but didn't realize it was her since it went by so fast.

I never thought Tsubasa keeping her swimsuit outfit during an attack where she's on a waterslide was an inconsistency, more that the context was deemed appropriate for the costume so they left it.
The thing is that special attack, like many others, references something from the story. So the swimsuit in the attack should have the same context as the scene its referencing.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Yeah, I know that she at least has one, but I just mean that it's not mentioned in the description or even highlighted in the reveal videos. Makes me think that it'll just be part of the aesthetic and story elements that lead her to being able to participate in Sessions, but not as a fully playable character.

She would at least have to have a static set of skills that would allow her to chain sessions with other characters. I suppose it's possible they stopped midway & just didn't create any weapons for her that she could gain mastery of to customize her skills, but I certainly hope not.

Nov 17, 2017
IIRC the swimsuit in the Amrita Shower commercial is also in the western version. They only changed it during the gravure-whatever dungeon.
Ah, I played the unedited version so I just assumed that Amarita Shower commercial was also edited out or changed with street wear.

Still, that just makes the whole context thing even more confusing. Tsubasa can't be depicted wearing a swimsuit for a magazine but it's ok if she's wearing one for a commercial.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
What, how was the dialogue 18+ in Japanese? I have a hard time thinking what they could have said.

It wasn't. They didn't know what they were speaking too.

On another note, the lack of knowledge of the localization process of this game for some in this thread is quite baffling. It was all over news, twitter, and websites at the time. Atlus localized and translated the game. However, Nintendo (most likely the Treehouse team specifically but unconfirmed) were the ones who mandated all the edits (both good and bad) that the Western version received. Atlus reps at the time on Twitter told anyone who had issue with it to contact Nintendo.

The pants were added in the JP version as well because of complaints from AVEX who was one of the sponsors for the animation/music videos used in the game. If they hadn't changed it they would have lost funding/support which is why neither US nor JP versions have her zipper thong.

The game didn't receive a dub as (already stated) due to the massive amount of music videos and the cost of dubbing would have been prohibitively expensive which would have made the localization of the game all but impossible at the time. Dubbing costs many times in the localization process are more than all other costs combined for translating, marketing, packaging, and shipping a game in other territories. This game is too niche to take that risk.

The new SKU shows that multiple languages are supported however if you are wanting to import to avoid the nasty Western edits I would be wary as selecting other languages on the game somtimes actually changes the data/format to our versions so let the importer beware!

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Still, that just makes the whole context thing even more confusing. Tsubasa can't be depicted wearing a swimsuit for a magazine but it's ok if she's wearing one for a commercial.
The whole game feels half-edited tbh. In this specific case I think the decision logic was something like "people wearing a swimsuit in the beach makes sense" and "people wearing a swimsuit in a photoshot sounds lewd" or another silly reason. Also showing a girl in the beach playing and swimming while wearing a fucking cap would be specially stupid.

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
The official Japanese website just updated and replaced a previously uncensored image with a censored one.
cal_img05.jpg

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Random slightly unrelated note: I wonder if it was this collaboration that made them opt for a Persona-like art job in Three Houses.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a massive own goal if they go with the all the censored versions, and especially if they do it in Japan too.

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
pic01.png

Censorship/localization problem aside , how are the developers gonna do the gamepad interaction? For me on the WiiU version , its quite fun as the gamepad act as a smartphone/mobile

I predict that if could be using the Nintendo Online app but the problem is , do you need to have an active Nintendo Online Subscription or is it free?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I predict that if could be using the Nintendo Online app but the problem is , do you need to have an active Nintendo Online Subscription or is it free?
i really don't think they'll make the app necessary for any in-game functionality. the second screen functionality will just be reworked to work on a single screen.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
pic01.png

Censorship/localization problem aside , how are the developers gonna do the gamepad interaction? For me on the WiiU version , its quite fun as the gamepad act as a smartphone/mobile

Press the plus button and the screen pops up over the game world like a regular menu. This was shown off already

Let's not overthink these things

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
I wish they had just worked with Nintendo from the start and come up with designs that didn't require censorship in the west, so there wasn't this multi-SKu fuckery. I certainly won't be buying it if it's been modified. Even if it's for the best, I can't stand having a "compromised" version of a game.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
Well if the game is going to be based on the censored version then I can already see this game bombing. The sort of people a game like this appeals to (which is an already niche group) aren't exactly fans of censorship or "Localisation" as some people put it. It honestly baffles me why they would do the exact same thing that tanked the Wii U version for the Switch.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The game tanked because it was a JRPG on the Wii U, not because some anime tiddies were censored. get real lol

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
The game tanked because it was a JRPG on the Wii U, not because some anime tiddies were censored. get real lol

Nah

You need to get real and understand what sort of people a game like this is for *News Flash* its the sort that like anime tiddies.

Yeah its a JRPG on the Wii U that was censored (which sealed its fate from the get go). Look at how many people in this thread have already stated that they won't buy a censored version. Then when you go onto Youtube comments (yes I know they're trash) or other sites you see the same sentiment. Believe it or not people don't like buying a cut down and altered version of a game. Which in this case, it is as the story was altered in a way that made no sense. It being on Wii U definitely had a major effect on sales but it being butchered with needless changes also had a major effect. Is the Switch version going to sell more? Probably, but not by a large amount. At the end of the day they had an opportunity to fix all the problems that plagued the Wii U version but instead chose to go with a version the majority of people despise.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A JRPG on the Wii U that came late in the system's life, no dub, no ads

Or lack of anime tiddies

Hmmm

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
People pretending saccharine J-pop JRPGS are for people who want anime tiddies only are weird. Persona has a huge female fan base that really doesn't buy these games for the panty shots.
The game is good, but it's no Persona.
It will sell okay for a Persona lite, with or without bikinis.

Believe it or not people don't like buying a cut down and altered version of a game. Which in this case, it is as the story was altered in a way that made no sense. It being on Wii U definitely had a major effect on sales but it being butchered with needless changes also had a major effect.

"Butchered" version, come the fuck on. If people were going to get this game for the tiddies, they were going to be dissappointed with the Japanese version already. There's not dating, the model viewer doesn't let you zoom in, you can't replay event scenes - the game wasn't going to pander to peeping to begin with.

"The story was altered and made no sense" - as if magically discovering your confidence through gravure modeling made sense in the first place, lmao. Shakespeare this isn't.

So many people in this thread that weren't even going to buy the game anyway just come in here to whine about how taking out some bikini costumes really grinds their gears. Well, happy to hear I won't meet you in the OT for this game then.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

The game by default had an unappealing premise and wasted the FE brand. It shouldn't be doing things that will just turn off more of the limited potential audience it has. This game would never be a mainstream hit doesn't matter the console it was released on. It performed significantly worse than Xenoblade X for example, so it's not just a case of "bad due to the Wii U", it did badly even compared to other Wii U games.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
People pretending saccharine J-pop JRPGS are for people who want anime tiddies only are weird. Persona has a huge female fan base that really doesn't buy these games for the panty shots.
The game is good, but it's no Persona.
It will sell okay for a Persona lite, with or without bikinis.

"Butchered" version, come the fuck on. If people were going to get this game for the tiddies, they were going to be dissappointed with the Japanese version already. There's not dating, the model viewer doesn't let you zoom in, you can't replay event scenes - the game wasn't going to pander to peeping to begin with.

"The story was altered and made no sense" - as if magically discovering your confidence through gravure modeling made sense in the first place, lmao. Shakespeare this isn't.

So many people in this thread that weren't even going to buy the game anyway just come in here to whine about how taking out some bikini costumes really grinds their gears. Well, happy to hear I won't meet you in the OT for this game then.

Look I really liked the game when I played it which Is why I said I rather they went with the original. I want the game to sell and anyone looking into the game and seeing talks of censorship and changes is going to be put off by it. The game has a really fun gameplay loop which in some aspects I prefer to Persona and I want to see more of it but if this port doesn't sell that's it there will be no chance for a sequel.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Unfortunately the word "censorship" has a pretty negative connotation and that will most definitely affect sales, especially for a game that is directed to a very small niche like this one.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I don't how how much the changes have and will affect the sales of this game, but when your target audience is already niche it can't be a good thing to annoy them from the get go. By design this game won't appeal to a lot of people, if you piss off the people that do care you're not off to a good start. It creates a narrative that'll appear everywhere this game is talked about. I can bet most of the comment sections for any news about this game will talk about it. Most threads will too. It's just not a good starting point.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Since they haven't said anything about this having an English dub now, one can assume it probably still doesn't. Makes me wonder what the point of this re-release is, that's a deal breaker for me.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
J-pop and anime has a really broad appeal for teens and afaik is pretty mainstream these days. Just looking at a newsstand these days (at least in Germany) I see dozens of j-pop, k-pop and anime magazines not even taking the rows of mangas into account. a teen girl might even appreciate the devs going out of their way to delete gracious sexualisation.

I agree, the "tiddie" enthusiasts are very niche. But they are also not the market group they want or need

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nah

You need to get real and understand what sort of people a game like this is for *News Flash* its the sort that like anime tiddies.

There are more to these games than anime titties, what, this isn't Criminal Girls or Senran Kagura...... where the devs clearly don't care about making a good game just making underage anime soft core.

The Wii U was absolutely the reason the game sold like shit, every game that released on Wii U that's been ported to Switch has done so much better, this game isn't going to set the world on fire but it's definitely going to be profitable on Switch.

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
I don't how how much the changes have and will affect the sales of this game, but when your target audience is already niche it can't be a good thing to annoy them from the get go. By design this game won't appeal to a lot of people, if you piss off the people that do care you're not off to a good start. It creates a narrative that'll appear everywhere this game is talked about. I can bet most of the comment sections for any news about this game will talk about it. Most threads will too. It's just not a good starting point.
And don't forget the Japanese sales now that their version is affected as well. I'm certain they will review bomb it on Amazon.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Exactly my thoughts.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about the "anime titties", it's about the censorship (or what is being perceived as such at least). The core audience who buys this type of jrpgs don't like buying modified products, that's just how it is. If you piss off this audience, and hope that a more mainstream one will replace it because of the changes you've made, I don't think it's gonna end particularily well. Let's not forget that there isn't even a english dub... The audience that plays niche jrpgs is the target here. They might still buy it, but as I said, you're not off to a good start if the main story to come out of the marketing cycle is endless censorship debates.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
J-pop and anime has a really broad appeal for teens and afaik is pretty mainstream these days. Just looking at a newsstand these days (at least in Germany) I see dozens of j-pop, k-pop and anime magazines not even taking the rows of mangas into account. a teen girl might even appreciate the devs going out of their way to delete gracious sexualisation.

This game has a big emphasis on the J-pop industry itself though, which isn't really something very mainstream, at least not among console games. Series like Idolmaster never got their console games localized and even in Japan never performed that well. They do better on mobile, but that's obviously a very different deal. And in this case on top of that, the gameplay is actually completely unrelated to the idol side, in spite of it dominating the story and general aesthetics of the product. It's by default something with a rather limited appeal.

The Wii U was absolutely the reason the game sold like shit, every game that released on Wii U that's been ported to Switch has done so much better, this game isn't going to set the world on fire but it's definitely going to be profitable on Switch.
This will be the first outright bomb that's getting ported though.

May 13, 2019
And don't forget the Japanese sales now that their version is affected as well. I'm certain they will review bomb it on Amazon.
It cracks me up that the Japanese reception of the game was every bit as bad as it was across the Pacific.

This game has a big emphasis on the J-pop industry itself though, which isn't really something very mainstream, at least not among console games. Series like Idolmaster never got their console games localized and even in Japan never performed that well. They do better on mobile, but that's obviously a very different deal. And in this case on top of that, the gameplay is actually completely unrelated to the idol side, in spite of it dominating the story and general aesthetics of the product. It's by default something with a rather limited appeal.
I've always got the feeling that most people in the West see Japan's idol industry as saccharine and exploitative. So isn't surprising to me that said industry lacks any kind of mainstream appeal here.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's an excellent JRPG and a personal favorite - like a Persona game with less S-Link emphasis (but still more than a SMT game) and more emphasis on combat & dungeon crawling. I hope nobody here skips it just because they made a few outfits less skimpy.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll continue to think the edits are weird given that the series' this game is influenced by are largely unedited.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Nah

Yeah its a JRPG on the Wii U that was censored (which sealed its fate from the get go). Look at how many people in this thread have already stated that they won't buy a censored version. Then when you go onto Youtube comments (yes I know they're trash) or other sites you see the same sentiment. Believe it or not people don't like buying a cut down and altered version of a game. Which in this case, it is as the story was altered in a way that made no sense. It being on Wii U definitely had a major effect on sales but it being butchered with needless changes also had a major effect. Is the Switch version going to sell more? Probably, but not by a large amount. At the end of the day they had an opportunity to fix all the problems that plagued the Wii U version but instead chose to go with a version the majority of people despise.

The game was an unappealing product from the get go. The 5 people that wont buy it due to the changes are worth less than an impending shit storm of releasing a game with all intact and taking a hit to their brand image.

The game would have done better if they didn't make it have weird shit from the jump. Localization patching it up is not what cause the game to bomb. Game did shit in Japan too.