• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh that's a good point I forgot it had no English dub.

Care to explain what makes Persona 5 so different to TMS broad appeal wise? Like I said TMS will benefit from the pedigree of being associated with Atlus and Persona. Which a lot of people who did play it compare it to.
P5 looks like this.
persona-5-review-style-first-10-1280x720.jpg

TMS looks like this.
842fbbf36fdd9fcda8df6b81bb809cf0c50e69b9.jpg

One of these is going to be a lot more appealing to a wider audience and it's not the pretty sparkly one.(Again I love both.)

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Wow it's turned into Gematsu comment section in here. This game is very niche and was actually legit surprised they're porting it considering the controversy of the censorship and crossover not being what certain fans wanted as well as the game being one of the biggest bombs in Atlus's history (although that in itself might explain why they so desperately want more sales).

I beat this game on Wii U. It's a fun game, for those that care about that. Which is why I play these games in the first place. The censorship I could care less about.
I mean it was localization not censorship. Censorship is external from an outside governing body. Localization is when a developer or publisher makes changes to better suit a target market.

also if the changes are in all versions this time that means everything will be adjusted and it will be less noticable

I played and enjoyed the original although I didn't beat it but that's more due to me having a lousy time beating jrpgs on wiiu than anything. I made it about half way and can't wait to go back

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I agree comparing to P5 was a bit extreme. Its just I don't see why people think this game will be as niche as they think when its got so much going for it.

The lack of an English dub is the biggest thing it has against it. It's just not a thing many games with full voice tracks can get away with and be major successes.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just the outfits that have been redone by the way. A lot of the idol life content has been rewritten to be less specific. It basically removes all the gravure aspect of the world to simple photography. It borders on "eat you hamburger Apollo" territory at times.

Which is weird because it's so unlike the Nintendo of today. The "let's push SNK Heroines hard" Nintendo, the "let's ask the Senran Kagura producer to make HD rumble boobs games for the console" Nintendo. They're in such a different position from their WII U days and yet they seemed to have doubled down on the weird changes for this specific games.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh that's a good point I forgot it had no English dub.

Care to explain what makes Persona 5 so different to TMS broad appeal wise? Like I said TMS will benefit from the pedigree of being associated with Atlus and Persona. Which a lot of people who did play it compare it to.
The pedigree didn't do much for the game originally. What people care about is the game itself, especially now that it's a known quantity.

Persona 5 had marketing for months, even on the English side. There was a lot of confidence in how they promoted it. We're 3 months away from #FE Encore and we've seen little, still.

The aesthetic of TMS is saccharine, bubbly, idol anime. P5's aesthetic is youthful urban pop. The latter is far wider reaching.

In terms of gameplay, P5 has a lot more going on and it's longer. #FE attempts social links, but as with a lot of its other elements, it's a watered down version of what Persona has.

There are a whole bunch of reasons. But really, we can just point to the lack of English dub and it explains itself.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I mean it was localization not censorship. Censorship is external from an outside governing body. Localization is when a developer or publisher makes changes to better suit a target market.

also if the changes are in all versions this time that means everything will be adjusted and it will be less noticable

I played and enjoyed the original although I didn't beat it but that's more due to me having a lousy time beating jrpgs on wiiu than anything. I made it about half way and can't wait to go back

Sure localization. My only point was that the game itself shouldn't be put aside just because they change costumes and remove some of the gravure idol content that was already in the way anyway (I was there for the gameplay, definitely not the story, my thoughts on the idol industry sways far more towards being negative). It's a fun game to play and that's what matters.

May 13, 2019
It's an original product born out of a crossover of two very popular series: Fire Emblem and (let's be real here) mostly Persona.
It's got the pedigree of the Nintendo and Atlus.
It's an anime RPG set in modern Tokyo with all the character tropes fans of that genre know and love.
That didn't help the game at all in the original release.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
also if the changes are in all versions this time that means everything will be adjusted and it will be less noticabl
The original japanese release will still contain the original script that was heavily edited in the West. That's a big part of the "censorship" pushback they won't have to deal with.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't get why it's still changed.

Xenoblade and Fire Emblem clearly show they don't give a crap anymore and Atlus never gave a crap in the first place.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The lack of an English dub is the biggest thing it has against it. It's just not a thing many games with full voice tracks can get away with and be major successes.
Problem is most of the game is tied heavily to the songs and while getting English voice acting is easy getting competent singers not so much and combined with the music licensing rights is even messier. And you can't go halfway either

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Problem is most of the game is tied heavily to the songs and while getting English voice acting is easy getting competent singers not so much and combined with the music licensing rights is even messier. And you can't go halfway either

Absolutely. I would hate to be the person who had to try and work out the best way to localise TMS with a dub. It's probably much more effort than it's worth, and Nintendo/Atlus thought so too, hence the lack of a dub. It'll be stuck in a niche status as a result though.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please explain the big marketing push by Nintendo for SNK Heroines. And this.
I wouldn't call those "big". certainly no bigger than TMS received, who's switch announcement video is sitting at ~120K views. and SNK Heroines was the start of more support with the switch receiving Samurai Shodown and will recieve KoF15 and Metal slug.

May 13, 2019
That's even worse that I had imagined. And not surprising at all, even back then I recall reading about the reactions to the unveal in Japan and they were pretty much the same as in the West i.e nothing but scorn and mockery.

The aesthetic of TMS is saccharine, bubbly, idol anime. P5's aesthetic is youthful urban pop. The latter is far wider reaching.
I wonder if the game would had fared better if it offered a scathing indictment to the idol industry like P4 Dancing All Night did instead of a feel good celebration of it.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call those "big". certainly no bigger than TMS received, who's switch announcement video is sitting at ~120K views. and SNK Heroines was the start of more support with the switch receiving Samurai Shodown and will recieve KoF15 and Metal slug.
They still made an effort to appeal to this certain audience. They care at least a little about the otaku crowd.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why not? I've seen several shows that just keep the songs Japanese.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
...Huh? Yes? The term that the devs themselves have used to describe it?

1895936.jpg

Tell me then: what would you use to describe the above?

Oh okay, it just sounded weird to me. lol

I wouldn't describe it as youthful urban pop? Stylish? I guess?

Persona 5 definitely has a "coolness" to it that TMS lacks for sure. TMS is the closest thing to Persona that isn't Persona at least and it comes from Atlus.

Hopefully word of mouth carries it because I do genuinely think it could do really well. I rescind my as good as Persona 5, because yeah I see the point, especially with the lack of dub.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the game would had fared better if it offered a scathing indictment to the idol industry like P4 Dancing All Night did instead of a feel good celebration of it.
I think it would have, but it would have also had to be reflected in its overall aesthetic. I remember when the first reveal trailer came out, some people were hoping the camera pan on a desolate wasteland near the end of the trailer was an indication that the game wasn't as straightforward in its happiness as it seemed. But that wasn't the case.

When you're gonna start off a game's marketing with Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem like they did, and then continue to promote it using those reference points, you're gonna be addressing those series' audiences. And #FE is the type of game to burn the more dedicated of those two fanbases. I like #FE, but people like to say "it's like Persona" when Persona really just has a lot more going on thematically and aesthetically, that appeals to a different audience.
sometimes devs say stupid things
Sure, but that description doesn't sound off to me. Like, I'm pretty sure Soejima knows what he's talking about.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
*Sees thread is bumped and clicks it.*
*Sees it's more whining about censorship and handwringing over the original release's sales.*

Jesus Christ, it's 2019.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
a little, I guess. but beyond those games they ain't done anything else. hell, Takai does everything he can to avoid the words "Nintendo" and "switch"

They also directly asked Inti Creates to release Gal Gun on Switch. Who knows what else is going on behind the scenes.

Takaki not being willing to support Switch doesn't mean Nintendo hasn't tried!

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly think it's weird to make a game about the idol life and then remove any mention of gravure in the localisation. That's my biggest issue with it. Some outfit changes are just straight up worse but that's not a dealbreaker, and the age changes I'm fine with. Really it's just the actual content changes in the script that's hard to swallow. If you're into this very content specific subs only jrpg, surely you want the full deal and not something rewritten for a larger audience that will never come anyway.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I do think that the localization changes had a tangible effect on the game's original Western reception. I don't know if that'll affect it as much this time for #FE Encoure, but it certainly will in Japan.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
The changes only alienate the niche audience that was interested in the game in the first place. The subject matter and lack of dub ensured this was never going to be a mainstream success. Nintendo themselves have released games with more fanservice than this so I'm not sure why they're bothering to keep the alterations.

May 13, 2019
I think it would have, but it would have also had to be reflected in its overall aesthetic. I remember when the first reveal trailer came out, some people were hoping the camera pan on a desolate wasteland near the end of the trailer was an indication that the game wasn't as straightforward in its happiness as it seemed. But that wasn't the case.

When you're gonna start off a game's marketing with Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem like they did, and then continue to promote it using those reference points, you're gonna be addressing those series' audiences. And #FE is the type of game to burn the more dedicated of those two fanbases. I like #FE, but people like to say "it's like Persona" when Persona really just has a lot more going on thematically and aesthetically, that appeals to a different audience.
I agree with all this. A darker approach to this diabetes-inducing industry would have worked wonders.

Dub only peeps are weird. If you're fine with songs being in Japanese why can't you listen to dialogue in Japanese. We've been reading in games for a long time.
Would it really have been that much of a bother to actually sub the battle lines? That's what grind my gears the most.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They also directly asked Inti Creates to release Gal Gun on Switch. Who knows what else is going on behind the scenes.

Takaki not being willing to support Switch doesn't mean Nintendo hasn't tried!
really though, all these were several years ago. if they kept up this stuff recently, I think it'd be more relevant. in a wierd way, I think Nintendo was trying to cater to the Vita devs an audience since the system was not yet completely buried. Nintendo has a different aim with TMS now (I'd argue the game never fell into the same vein as those other games they helped promote)

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with all this. A darker approach to this diabetes-inducing industry would have worked wonders.

Would it really have been that much of a bother to actually sub the battle lines? That's what grind my gears the most.
That would require implementing a text field that doesn't exist in the Japanese version somewhere that's readable and doesn't interfere with the rest of the UI.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind that a fan-translation did that (Tales of Innocence by Absolute Zero). Is it that much of an impossible task for a professional company to do the same?
Impressive, but all the same, that's a different game with a different engine and fan translators have all the time in the world unrestrained by deadlines and can write one line of code a weekend if they feel like it.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Keep in mind that a fan-translation did that (Tales of Innocence by Absolute Zero). Is it that much of an impossible task for a professional company to do the same?

No one says that it's impossible, but it requires implementation, testing, the whole shebang. It's just doubtful that Nintendo would think it's worth the effort. As mentioned before, they probably won't have massive sales expectations for this in the first place. It's making their line up more attractive for the audience they drew in with Xenoblade 2 and who they hope to (re)buy Xenoblade 1. If anything, it's sad that their internal JRPG lineup is probably just these two remakes next year.

May 13, 2019
Impressive, but all the same, that's a different game with a different engine and fan translators have all the time in the world unrestrained by deadlines and can write one line of code a weekend if they feel like it.
They have far more resources to pour on the project, though.

Specially on this case where they don't have to spend a cent on a dub.

No one says that it's impossible, but it requires implementation, testing, the whole shebang. It's just doubtful that Nintendo would think it's worth the effort. As mentioned before, they probably won't have massive sales expectations for this in the first place. It's making their line up more attractive for the audience they drew in with Xenoblade 2 and who they hope to (re)buy Xenoblade 1. If anything, it's sad that their internal JRPG lineup is probably just these two remakes next year.
Good points and well made. Guess Nintendo knew from the get-go this game wouldn't make a ton a money to justify spending on superficial details.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I'll buy it, localisation differences/censorship yes or no. If this'll give me my portable Persona fill, so be it! I'm a thirsty P3P/P4G Vita sucker, help, Atluuus.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
It's an excellent JRPG and a personal favorite - like a Persona game with less S-Link emphasis (but still more than a SMT game) and more emphasis on combat & dungeon crawling. I hope nobody here skips it just because they made a few outfits less skimpy.
Well said.

I hope this game does well because it deserves it. Had more fun playing random encounters in this game than I do most other JRPG's.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
The localization changes don't bother me as they have no bearing on why I'm interested in the game to begin with.

But considering Nintendo published a game like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 just a few years ago, I can't imagine why this game is still suffering these effects.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
This hasn't been mentioned that much but Nintendo is handling this game in a very weird way not only for the censorship, but also apparently it will be in a very few number of languages, like 3, missing spanish for example. This will be the first first party Switch game to have such a limited number of languages and one of the few first party Nintendo games since the beggining of the millenium to have this issue, the original also had this problem alongside Fatal Frame V and Devil's Third, but c'mon, that was on the Wii U, I don't get what's the problem with this game.

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
I mostly think it's weird to make a game about the idol life and then remove any mention of gravure in the localisation. That's my biggest issue with it.
I think for a game depicting the music and showbiz industry there isn't nearly enough questionable content in this.
If I look through the trending music videos on youtube this game pales in comparison.
"That" dungeon should have been about Tsubasa learning to twerk in lingerie.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
That's even worse that I had imagined. And not surprising at all, even back then I recall reading about the reactions to the unveal in Japan and they were pretty much the same as in the West i.e nothing but scorn and mockery.

Yeah the Japanese response was met with the same scorn that it did in the West. A lot of "this is not my SMT" or "what have they done to my Fire Emblem" kind of comments on Famitsu, BBS and the like.

It's actually next to Ronde on Sega Saturn and SMT Nine as the worst selling MegaTen game upon release in Japan. I'm kind of glad in a way it didn't do too well despite it being a good game, since I'd rather see more of the Digital Devil Saga, Devil Survivor, Devil Summoner and Catherine style games getting made over what this game represented to me (as in - otaku bait, pandering to a certain subset).

Agreed on both points. On the second point, I am guessing this game got pushed through as a low cost localization during a time when all hands were on deck for other projects in the works, is my guessing (maybe they just knew that this wouldn't sell well). But yes it sucked that they didn't even sub during combat. Would have added extra flair to the characters for sure.

May 13, 2019
Yeah the Japanese response was met with the same scorn that it did in the West. A lot of "this is not my SMT" or "what have they done to my Fire Emblem" kind of comments on Famitsu, BBS and the like.

It's actually next to Ronde on Sega Saturn and SMT Nine as the worst selling MegaTen game upon release in Japan. I'm kind of glad in a way it didn't do too well despite it being a good game, since I'd rather see more of the Digital Devil Saga, Devil Survivor, Devil Summoner and Catherine style games getting made over what this game represented to me (as in - otaku bait).
Yeah, that's what I read as well. Still amazing to me to see fans from both sides of the Pacific united in expressing disdain for a ttile and for the same reasons to boot.

As for SMT Nine, I will always believe the (most likely apocryphal) theory that Atlus used most of Microsoft's money to develop the engine used in all their PS2 games while farming the project to some no-name studio because they knew that a Xbox SMT game was a bomb no matter what.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dub only peeps are weird. If you're fine with songs being in Japanese why can't you listen to dialogue in Japanese. We've been reading in games for a long time.
Whats so wrong about wanting to understand the voice lines? Its not about reading, its about having a feature there that is basically useless to people who dont speak the language. If you are going to do it, make the effort to make it accessable to everyone.