• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Not surprising that the loading times are faster considering that the WiiU was a trash system at that. Still good to know although I wish there were more visual improvements.

Definitely getting this.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Load times are my biggest gaming pet peeve, so really pleased that the Switch version is a lot faster there. Portable, faster load times, and a little extra content - looks like I'm double-dipping. :)

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Wow, the load times are much faster on the Switch version. I remember sitting there for what felt like an eternity just so battles could get started when I played this on the Wii U, but the load times are 2x to nearly 4x faster on Switch, which is a huge improvment. That's crazy. Might have to double dip on this.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm going to buy this one as I loved the original version and having it on the Switch is really convenient, but it's kind of a disappointing port:
-No changes to the inconsistent edits
-No new party members
-AFAIK only a new song and some new dungeons
-No better resolution (this one is the worst offender)
-No new translations or even english dub

I appreciate having quick sessions though, and I recommend this game to all people that never played it on the U, but I expected a better port, having another 720p without antialiasing version feels really lazy and even if there's new content the lack of visual upgrades makes the port the feel worse than all the games that have been released with less new content.

It does have "new translations" though.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, those loading times make a world of difference.
*looks at Wonderful 101's load times* Come ooon Switch port!

My girlfriend loved Three Houses (finished it 4 times to see all the endings)

Would she like this game or is it really different ?

It's pretty different. Though it has Fire Emblem characters, the gameplay is more in line with Shin Megami Tensei with Press Turns and spell names and spell weaknesses. It's also way more modern with commentary on the Japanese idol industry and not so much political drama.

Feb 10, 2018
Wow, those loading times make a world of difference.
*looks at Wonderful 101's load times* Come ooon Switch port!

It's pretty different. Though it has Fire Emblem characters, the gameplay is more in line with Shin Megami Tensei with Press Turns and spell names and spell weaknesses. It's also way more modern with commentary on the Japanese idol industry and not so much political drama.

Thanks ! Does it have "conversations" like in Three Houses where you can talk to party members, recruit them, give them some gifts etc ?

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish have money to get it at launch, but at earliest I will wait until April to buy games. Beside, my backlog is quite big lmao

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks ! Does it have "conversations" like in Three Houses where you can talk to party members, recruit them, give them some gifts etc ?
No, they're more like side fluff for character building. Kind of like slightly the longer version of texting in P5 or shorter versions of skits in Tales games.

This game is closer in format to linear Persona than it is to Fire Emblem. The only Fire Emblem influence is that your Personas are all FE-inspired characters.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018

it's much more like the Persona games where you will do small side stories with them in the hub areas, which will improve your "social link" with them, and giving them new bonuses in battle. The cast is a lot smaller as well.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

There are optinal side-quests tied to the development of each main party member (the human characters, not the Mirages), but no romance or even ship teasing one the level of the gift giving stuff from Three Houses.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Is there a time of day or calendar system in this game? People are comparing to persona but I'm not sure how deep the similarities go

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I'm guessing that the in battle banter is still untranslated? I remember native speakers saying that you miss a lot of the character's personalities during those segments.
Is there a time of day or calendar system in this game? People are comparing to persona but I'm not sure how deep the similarities go
It's been a while but I'm pretty sure that there was. You'd have time to kill in between dungeons to do side quests and hang out with the other party members. The best part was the text messaging system though, it really worked well with the U pad.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The similarities are superficial. Japanese entertainment industry teens by day, fighting entertainment fueled enemies in a parallel world by night kinda deal. Main characters have a "persona" in the form of Fire Emblem characters, but there's no theme relating to the psyche here. Fusing doesn't exist, but there is a simplistic weapon crafting system. There is no calendar system. Side quests take the place of Social Links. Set in modern day Japan. Etc.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018

Nope, no calendar, a bit more traditional chapter design. There are "intermissions" between chapters where stuff opens up for you to do before you proceed with the main story. Certain sub stories are locked behind getting to certain story events, but you're never limited by the # of activities that can be done in a day or anything like that.

ChaosSaga

Oct 25, 2017
Around Hyrule
Really? Well that's good to hear, I can understand translating it to Chinese but I'll always wonder why they do French instead of Spanish. It was the same for Cold Steel III, and it's well known that Spanish is spoken/understood by far more people.

It must be because France is huge for anime content.

Well if people took LA(I'm including Brazil here) more seriously, Portuguese and Spanish would be in more games.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I forgot I used a voucher on this. How long is this game? I really enjoyed Persona 5 a lot, and it was probably the biggest surprise of the gen for me. I cleared about 98% of my backlog, and don't plan on getting anything until Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Pre-ordered the physical edition two days ago, and I'm excited.

Even though it wasn't the crossover that people initially expected when it was announced, the positive reception from fans makes this purchase convincing.

Oct 25, 2017
No, they're more like side fluff for character building. Kind of like slightly the longer version of texting in P5 or shorter versions of skits in Tales games.

This game is closer in format to linear Persona than it is to Fire Emblem. The only Fire Emblem influence is that your Personas are all FE-inspired characters.
Well that, and the weapon triangle works; axe enemies are weak to sword based attacks etc.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
No 1080p docked is really wierd. The game doesn't use the added GPU power at all?
To be honest it was really easy to notice when they released the Japanese previews a few days ago, but it's disappointing nonetheless.

The game looks soft/blurry, the art helps to mask it sometimes but it should be a 1080p game easily considering that it ran well on the U. Compared to most Atlus improved versions (P4G, P5 Royal), they didn't put much effort in this one, it looks like the mandatory Switch port with the minimun new additions.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got to load that loading comparison video and oooooh man. Teleporting back to the office seems so much more tolerable. That was honestly such a huge annoyance. Wish they made it so you can do upgrades without having to teleport but this is still a big improvement.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
EX Story 1 footage:

The soundtrack's probably gonna have a full version of:
Tsubasa's version of "Reincarnation."

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
The reduced load times for me are More than worth it. I don't mind the lack of graphical upgrades, the games is pretty already as it is, but damn if the load times when teleporting or entering a battle we're not annoying. In certain dungeons they definitively killed all the momentum the game had.
That, plus being able the skip the Sessions, make the game's replay value go up for me. Time to finally get all those in game achievements.

Plum

May 31, 2018
In terms of overall pacing how does this compare to Persona 4 and 5 (i.e. the only JRPGs I've actually completed)? I've got an itch to get this game but I'm a little worried that it's going to suffer from an overly long runtime.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
In terms of overall pacing how does this compare to Persona 4 and 5 (i.e. the only JRPGs I've actually completed)? I've got an itch to get this game but I'm a little worried that it's going to suffer from an overly long runtime.
The overall game is much, much faster.

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It's not an extremely long game. I think I played like 50 hours and I got to see all of the side content. Persona games are usually like 80 hrs for me.
When it comes to pacing, the game is set up with chapters and intermissions. In between the chapters, you have an intermission where you can do side content.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The overall game is much, much faster.
It's not an extremely long game. I think I played like 50 hours and I got to see all of the side content. Persona games are usually like 80 hrs for me.
When it comes to pacing, the game is set up with chapters and intermissions. In between the chapters, you have an intermission where you can do side content.

Ah, that's good to hear, thanks! Persona 5 got absolutely ridiculous with how drawn out it was (the main reason I ain't even touching Royal) and you couldn't even see all side content in one playthrough of that game.

Thing is for me I rarely play JRPGs (I've yet to finish a Final Fantasy bar XV, for example) so this would literally be the third one I've ever finished if I do complete it. Would you say that the game is 'for me'? I don't really know.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The pacing of it is pretty good for the most part. When I played it, it originally took me around 50 hours to finish with a majority of the side content completed.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, that's good to hear, thanks! Persona 5 got absolutely ridiculous with how drawn out it was (the main reason I ain't even touching Royal) and you couldn't even see all side content in one playthrough of that game.

Thing is for me I rarely play JRPGs (I've yet to finish a Final Fantasy bar XV, for example) so this would literally be the third one I've ever finished if I do complete it. Would you say that the game is 'for me'? I don't really know.
Aside from some New Game + content like the secret superboss, it's entirely possible to clear all of the game's side content in one run and still clock in at about 70 hours in the Wii U version.

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Well, I think the gameplay is fun. It's been a long time since I've played it, but I don't remember hitting difficulty spikes or forced grinding. It's fun all the way through.
When it comes to the jpop theme, I wasn't bothered by it at the start and I liked it by the end. I remember skipping some music video cutscenes, but it was fine.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The pacing of it is pretty good for the most part. When I played it, it originally took me around 50 hours to finish with a majority of the side content completed.
Aside from some New Game + content like the secret superboss, it's entirely possible to clear all of the game's side content in one run and still clock in at about 70 hours in the Wii U version.
Well, I think the gameplay is fun. It's been a long time since I've played it, but I don't remember hitting difficulty spikes or forced grinding. It's fun all the way through.
When it comes to the jpop theme, I wasn't bothered by it at the start and I liked it by the end. I remember skipping some music video cutscenes, but it was fine.

Thanks. I'm seriously considering getting this; might pick it up with a discount from the voucher system when Animal Crossing goes up for pre-order. Right now I've got too much of a backlog to buy it day-one.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

So I only started playing RPGs more often after playing the Wii U version, which means I may have had a similar perspective as you while playing it? And I'd definitely recommend it for you as a result. I found the combat to be really engaging and intuitive; specifically, in a lot of RPGs I find myself getting very overwhelmed by the amount of options for stats and equipment and abilities and such, but here it all came pretty naturally to me. The thing that sticks out in my memory is that some bosses really required me to make use of effects and buffs/debuffs, or manipulating turn order/amount, but it actually felt satisfying to make use of that instead of like I was missing something or bashing up against a cruelly balanced boss in other games. And because you're aiming to your moves combo across your party members, it was relatively easy to tell what skills would actually be useful to take or not take.

The only Persona I've played is 5 so it was after I beat this, but I definitely preferred TMS's combat to it. Much more exciting and I felt like I actually had to think strategically the whole way through, while in P5 I found myself increasingly frustrated by how many enemies near the end just straight up didn't have weaknesses (or it wasn't worth going out of my way to target them) so it was phys crits forever. Honestly, the only kinda bad thing here was how long the string of attacks could get by the end (even as someone who liked all the goofy cutscenes and music), but they've seemingly solved that problem in this release so that's not even an issue anymore.

Also, it took me like 60-65 hours total, which is certainly a much nicer amount of time than some RPGs! (Note that I did rush through the last dungeon after grinding some levels with the EXP farm DLC, since I was about to be away from my Wii U for 3 months and wanted to make sure I finished it before I left... but I think that'd have only taken a few more hours if done naturally.)

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This seriously runs at 720p docked wtf? Guess I'll play this on CEMU instead if I ever feel like getting around to it. Was thinking of using a voucher but 720p on a 4k is yuck