• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
So this plays a lot like the Persona games?

in other words, is this a good substitute for Persona not being on Switch? I've only played them.

Whats best, English or Japanese audio?

Last edited:

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
the game is the VERY SAME as the WIi U version.
it already was pretty clean and run smoothly, so..I'm not complaining here.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Really glad about the improved loadtimes. I tried replaying it on WiiU a while ago and it got really annoying. Especially when going into combat.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
had this on wii u but never finished it, but I'll probably end up grabbing it since RPG + portable is a lot easier for me. I loved the concept of the game, got about 1/2 way through before.

(no romance options is a plus for me, I hate those systems)

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Never played the original, I'm really tempted after what I'm reading so far despite the "idol setting" which does not appeal to me very much.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Never played the original, I'm really tempted after what I'm reading so far despite the "idol setting" which does not appeal to me very much.

the game is VERY good in terms of dungeons, boss battles and (especially) battle system
I think it's very enjoyable, "despite" the idol setting
I never finished in on Wii U, so I'm very happy about being able to review it on Switch (and the portable aspect will improve the QoL if me playing it a lot, lol)

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
the game is VERY good in terms of dungeons, boss battles and (especially) battle system
I never finished in on Wii U, so I'm very happy about being able to review it on Switch (and the portable aspect will improve the QoL if me playing it a lot, lol)

Yeah that's the consensus I'm reading. I preordered it, I'm sure I will have a good time with it.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
This page hadn't had a Yashiro gif in some time, I'm not having that.

tumblr_ooz9pc9OSk1qes8cgo1_500.gifv

7152f7ede70fb9c87714ea96bb79baf9.gif

tumblr_ob5qj5ijRd1shuatdo1_500.gifv

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Guessing performance won't be a problem. It ran pretty smooth on WiiU
game crashed a lot for me on Wii U, and a quick google search shows it was a very common issue. Especially in the second half of the game, usually in dungeons
Is the switch version 1080p, censored still?
yes
not my type, but dont care for romance. I'm still sad i didn't got to stay with Yennifer in TW3.
there is no romance in the game, everyone is after protagonist's D because it's an anime game and everyone is supposed to unconditionally love you but other than that, no actual romance

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I already have this on Wii U. I should probably just play that and ignore the Switch version, right? Save myself $60?

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I already have this on Wii U. I should probably just play that and ignore the Switch version, right? Save myself $60?

There's extra costumes, new attacks including non-team members, an extra side story, and some QOI improvements (most notably being able to skip session animations).
It's not worth 60$ for that alone, if you ask me - the only reason I'm buying it for Switch is the fact that I lost my Wii U hard drive and always meant to revisit the game to play NG+. But I'm not replaying this on the Wii U again if given the choice, Switch is just more comfortable for me at this point. Apparently 60$ more comfortable.

Last edited:

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
doesn't seem like it's worth the 60 bucks if you ask me, since there isn't much being added. But many people will double dip just to support it. Since it will likely sell poorly again, because the main audience in Japan is pissed it's the censored version.
Really? Never had this problem, guess I was lucky
yeah, had to redo entire dungeons. Definitely soured me on the game even more than I already was about the story. And it's funny because the crashes on Wii U are scarier than on consoles. It straight up freezes and the console doesn't know what to do instead of just closing the game lol.
game won't convince you otherwise but if you mute it, it's a very decent SMT game. I really dug the progression system and how to level up weapons. Even if I despised everything else, gameplay was on point. Definitely recommended if you are into JRPGs

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Not even most people who had a WiiU got this game and I'm one of them.

That being said, I would probably buy it again if only to make this series survive.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
I played it on Wii U made it to the last boss, tryed it 5x then droped the game couse i don't wanted to grind for levels. Was a nice game overall. Can't find any visual enhancements at all though. Hoped for 1080p OR a better antialiazing.

Not much left to port over to Switch.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There's extra costumes, new attacks including non-team members, an extra side story, and some QOI improvements (most notably being able to skip session animations).
It's not worth 60$ for that alone, if you ask me - the only reason I'm buying it for Switch is the fact that I lost my Wii U hard drive and meant to play the NG+ one da. But I'm not replaying this on the Wii U again if given the choice, Switch is just more comfortable for me at this point. Apparently 60$ more comfortable.

Main reason I'm buying it even though I own the WiiU version is portability & the drastically improved load times. I'd rather play all my games portably these days & the load times were long enough to be annoying in the original version, but based on that video shared earlier have been exponentially improved in the Switch version. The extra QoL & new dungeon are just nice bonuses.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017

My problem with Persona 5 and a lot of modern JRPGs is that the dungeons feel like a bunch of random rooms with corridors connecting them. They just feel kind of thrown together like there wasn't much thought put in to them. Is that the same here?

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
My problem with Persona 5 and a lot of modern JRPGs is that the dungeons feel like a bunch of random rooms with corridors connecting them. They just feel kind of thrown together like there wasn't much thought put in to them. Is that the same here?

sometimes, yes. imho, they are not particularly structured, but some of them has a decent maze-like map

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

I think Persona 5 has well designed dungeons other than most of them being too long. TMS#FE has shorter dungeons than P5 and they clearly didn't have as big of a budget as P5. On the other hand, they are actually designed dungeons with themes & gimmicks so they're leaps and bounds above the bland, randomly generated dungeons in Persona 3 & 4. So yeah, I thought TMS#FE had pretty good dungeons, but if you disliked P5 dungeons, then I think we're grading on different scales.

The combat system, though, is rather good. There's also a fairly enjoyable, yet simple level-up system - you equip weapons to learn the abilities that are attached to them and then later, you unlock the ability to re-forge weapons which usually unlocks a new ability.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017

TMS dungeons have more puzzles and are way shorter than P5.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm going to be buying this anyway since I loved the original and I've been wanting to replay it for a while. That being said I'm curious is the new dungeon the most substantial addition for this version?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For those who have played through the game before, how far through the game was I? I stopped right after getting the final playable character.

IIRC, I finished 4 out of 6 chapters, but I've heard that the last 2 chapters are longer than the earlier chapters.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
For those who have played through the game before, how far through the game was I? I stopped right after getting the final playable character.

IIRC, I finished 4 out of 6 chapters, but I've heard that the last 2 chapters are longer than the earlier chapters.

You still had a bunch of other stuff to do. Sorry, I wasn't keeping track of the time.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Still a decent chunk, it's been a while but there's a lot to do especially if you do the side quests and whatever those missions were called. Did you do the extra bosses in each dungeon?

I don't remember specifically, just that I was doing sidequests as I got them.

What happened is that I was really enjoying the game but was having a hard time finding time to play it since it's one of the few WiiU games that you can't play in gamepad mode. Really enjoyed the music, but most of the time I have access to the TV is late at night when the kids are asleep so that didn't work very well. And in the end, there was a big enough gap since I played it last that I figured I should just start over and then they announced the Switch version so I've just been waiting for that.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
I don't mind it not being in english, I just wish they'd subtitle the little battle quips and quotes between characters.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember specifically, just that I was doing sidequests as I got them.

What happened is that I was really enjoying the game but was having a hard time finding time to play it since it's one of the few WiiU games that you can't play in gamepad mode. Really enjoyed the music, but most of the time I have access to the TV is late at night when the kids are asleep so that didn't work very well. And in the end, there was a big enough gap since I played it last that I figured I should just start over and then they announced the Switch version so I've just been waiting for that.

Each chapter got longer and longer but the story was still engaging all the way to the end. Dungeons didn't feel longer. Enemies got tougher tho.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
What? No eng audio and locked at 720p and still censored. No way I'm paying full price again man.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017

If you stopped when getting Yashiro, then you definitely missed out on the best side stories in the game. The dude was hilarious.

The end bit was very long. Did you finish Persona 5? Did you think you were done after defeating the big bad dude the game told you was the main antagonist? Yeah. Enjoy 20 more hours or "stuff we pulled out of our arse".
The last part of the arsepull at least was tying the whole thing into Fire Emblem, in case you forgot that this was originally supposed to be a Fire Emblem crossover. It was pretty funny (and epic).

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The end bit was very long. Did you finish Persona 5? Did you think you were done after defeating the big bad dude the game told you was the main antagonist? Yeah. Enjoy 20 more hours or "stuff we pulled out of our arse".

Yeah, I've finished P3-5 and all of them go on way too long at the end. Hopefully, TMS#FE isn't that bad.

I've never enjoyed a FE game other than this (which doesn't really count). Not a fan of the heavy RNG & how units feel interchangeable. Wondering if I should try the Switch game since I hear it's more Persona-esque.