• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Shame that this is still 720p and visually identical to the WiiU version when docked. Hopefully that at least means portable mode has the resource headroom to run at 720p native as well.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, I've finished P3-5 and all of them go on way too long at the end. Hopefully, TMS#FE isn't that bad.

I've never enjoyed a FE game other than this (which doesn't really count). Not a fan of the heavy RNG & how units feel interchangeable. Wondering if I should try the Switch game since I hear it's more Persona-esque.

Personally, for me TMS#FE ended just as I was about to lose it with that game - is that the perfect length to have? You decide.

FE games aren't actually RNG heavy on lower difficulties, but some of the harder games and the higher difficulty levels definitely force you to take uncomfortable risks at times (and therefore sometimes lose), which some seem to greatly enjoy.
Newer games in the series definitely lessen the reliance on risk taking by:
- Giving you better insight into expected battle outcome and probability before you commit a move
- Giving you a bigger variety of difficulty options (i.e. making permadeath optional)
- Giving you much better "undo" and rewind options to revise your strategy during battle, without having to start all over from the very beginning

"Three Houses" especially is on the easier side, you won't have a hard time making your units good enough to withstand any unexpected critical hit or hidden re-inforcements. It's also not very highly regarded for its strategic gameplay therefore, so it's not my best recommendation to get into the series (which would be "Awakening").
However, I think it's a very good game to play if you enjoyed TMS already, and want to dip your toes into Fire Emblem.
(Also, Blue Lions rule.)

Units feeling interchangeable comes from the series' tradition of permadeath. If you didn't baby the bad wind mage they give you at the start into a good unit, the game usually lets you recruit alternatives mid- and late-game to bolster up your army's weaknesses. Since a lot of our units may fall along the way, the games can tend to offer lots of "replacements", which may make the units feel same-y.
The 3DS games really shot themselves in the foot with the kid units, which come with a lot of pros (STAT EUGENICS ARE AWESOME) and lots of cons (THEY ARE STUPID). I think most people will tell you that kid units, while fun in parts, tend to ruin any story immersion you might have left, and especially the ones in Fates are all annoying and dumb as hell character-wise.
I think Three Houses does a good job of offering you a tighter roster with less late additions and overall good variety. However, if you get into a Pokemon mentality, where you recruit them all, you will end up with 3 cinnamon bun archers and 4 psychotic mages and will not really care about most of them.

Oct 31, 2017
Really? Well that's good to hear, I can understand translating it to Chinese but I'll always wonder why they do French instead of Spanish. It was the same for Cold Steel III, and it's well known that Spanish is spoken/understood by far more people.

Well yeah, of course, but this is about sales and the potential for something like TMS is likely way bigger in France than anywhere else in Europe.

It must be because France is huge for anime content.

Well if people took LA(I'm including Brazil here) more seriously, Portuguese and Spanish would be in more games.

France is huge on anything Japanese, really ! :D

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this being published directly by Nintendo? i.e. is there very little chance of it going down in price significantly any time post launch

Oct 31, 2017
Is this being published directly by Nintendo? i.e. is there very little chance of it going down in price significantly any time post launch

Yup, this is a Nintendo game after all !

Shame that this is still 720p and visually identical to the WiiU version when docked. Hopefully that at least means portable mode has the resource headroom to run at 720p native as well.

It's 720p in both cases.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of interesting to give Maiko what looks like a Mirage fusion is she's not actually joining the cast.
Maiko, Barry, and Tiki can take part in Sessions during battles in Encore. Also, there were plans during vanilla TMS development to make her a full party member with a Dancer Mirage, so it looks like they took the original idea at least part-way.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
So....does that mean all party members will get a P5 costume?

Will....Tsubasa get an Ann outfit & Kiria an Makoto one?

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Do you guys know if the japanese version will have english ? My level of japanese is still not that good to enjoy a game like this, I dont want to import the US game.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys know if the japanese version will have english ? My level of japanese is still not that good to enjoy a game like this, I dont want to import the US game.
I don't know offhand but you can check the eShop page to see supported languages. I guess you want the physical version and I'm assuming it would be the same as the digital version in that regard.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I just realized it says "Save Data Cloud Backup Not Supported" on the eShop page and I'm wondering if there's a chance that's not accurate or not because that's a huge pain for me being a person that swaps between his Switch and Switch Lite all the time.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's just a new collab costume for each character. We had already seen a Three Houses costume for Mamori.
I'm alright with that. I remember using the collab costumes on the Wii U version, so to see more is neat.

Actually, if they went the extra mile like with P5 & made it so the BGM changes based on the costume, that'd be super cool. It won't happen, but still.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Same, a stripped down, more combat focused version of Persona, built around anime pop music sounds so weird, I'd be in.

But I just don't enjoy reading everything, or listening to audio I can't understand. It's my loss of course.

Yeah, the subject matter sounds compelling....I'm still going to get it, but the lack of a dub means I probably won't play it for a while.

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
Same, a stripped down, more combat focused version of Persona, built around anime pop music sounds so weird, I'd be in.

But I just don't enjoy reading everything, or listening to audio I can't understand. It's my loss of course.
While I have no interest in playing a game like this dubbed personally, I'm legitimately surprised and disappointed that they aren't putting the work in to address what I recall was also a major complaint back when it released on Wii U.

Edit to add: I don't mean this to complain about "lazy" anything, rather I'm complaining about what I assume is a budget issue

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
While I have no interest in playing a game like this dubbed personally, I'm legitimately surprised and disappointed that they aren't putting the work in to address what I recall was also a major complaint back when it released on Wii U.

Edit to add: I don't mean this to complain about "lazy" anything, rather I'm complaining about what I assume is a budget issue
It's less about budget, more logistics. The Japanese actors sing their own songs. To get an equivalent performance, the entire English cast would need to have professional singing ability and the song lyrics would need to be translated to be in tune with the music.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Yeah, the subject matter sounds compelling....I'm still going to get it, but the lack of a dub means I probably won't play it for a while.

From everything I've read and watched, it appears to be a very faithful port with a few new bits here and there.

The language barrier is real for me, simply because I have a mild case of OCD when it comes to reading. I sometimes find myself reading lines over and over again (some days are worse than others). I can power through, but it does mean I don't want to play a game where I read everything.

I understand the reasons why it is like it is - as helpfully posted above - but it just puts me off.

I have no idea how many people feel the way I do, but I imagine a dub would have been a big deal for some. I know it would have been for me.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if there will be other Three Houses references. I saw in the first trailer that Mamori had a Garreg Mach Officers' Academy uniform on as a costume.

Lunir

May 17, 2018
Mexico
From what I can get, each character in Japan is voiced by some famous singers and artists. So they probably want to preserve their original voices and performance.

Also, sorry to say this but I don't really get the big deal about dubbing. I sometimes play in english this kind of anime games because some voices have such a high pitch in japanese that it's disturbing. Although, the VAs from TMS are great.

I think that english speakers are very used to hear their language and we, as spanish speakers, are used to not hear our own language (neither read it, because spanish sub is not as common as some would like).

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This looks......wrong somehow.
Tokyo_Mirage_Sessions_FE_04-780x439.jpg

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This doesn't look like my type of JRPG but buying day 1 because it's ATLUS, It's been almost 3 long years since P5 and I'm thirsty for something new.....*cough*SMTV*cough*