• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I don't really want to get into a which-is-better argument, but TMS really seems so lazy in its characterizations. They're fine and inoffensive, but having played it twice on Wii U, they clearly just went for the safe anime tropes for each one of them. Growth arcs don't really exist, events in game don't really affect personalities, even motivations are paper thin. Not saying Persona doesn't also suffer with some characters and overall story in the second half, but there's more care and thought put into a wider range of characters for a longer time. It all comes down to scope, budget, dev resources/time at the end of the day. TMS is a lot lower budget and lower priority for Atlus/Nintendo and you can tell.

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
It's hard to compare to Persona 5 because the scope and polish are in 2 different worlds. The game has a very fun combat system and constant progression curve with new skills and abilities unlocked at a good pace, but the story and characters are garbage.
Persona 5 doesn't have a single thing to write home about and the characters in TMS are definitely more appealing than in that game

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
In the story department I don't really agree that it's meh although if it was a game that took itself seriously I would definitely agree. I just think it being as light hearted as it is and continuing that tone even through all the demonic stuff is really appealing and they pull off the entertainment industry side of the game pretty nicely. It's fun, it's not deep or thought provoking but it's fun with consistent writing and it doesn't need to be either of those things to me.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Persona 5 doesn't have a single thing to write home about and the characters in TMS are definitely more appealing than in that game
I will never understand the praise for Persona 5 story or characters.
I like both games a lot, but P5 characters are either boring or annoying, or just barely exist. Both games story are pretty weak but at least TMS moves fast, so it's still keeping my attention. I really like how positive everything is in TMS too. The music/tv scene of TMS are the primary aspect of pushing me forward, i'm constantly excited to progress just to get another MV.
Maybe it's just me because by the time P5 story hits climax/pay off, I was really burned off by it and just want to be done with it.

May 30, 2018
LMK when you hit that ch 2 end boss. Wiped my party in 2 turns, had to get 2-3 more levels which goes very quick in the EXP dungeon.

Yeah that boss bodied me hard the first couple of tries, but tbh learning these dungeons were DLC kinda felt cheap to me so I didn't use it

I actually just swapped out Kiria since she was a liability, upgraded weapons and armors, and used a ton of buffs/debuffs.

I will never understand the praise for Persona 5 story or characters.
I like both games a lot, but P5 characters are either boring or annoying, or just barely exist. Both games story are pretty weak but at least TMS moves fast, so it's still keeping my attention. I really like how positive everything is in TMS too. The music/tv scene of TMS are the primary aspect of pushing me forward, i'm constantly excited to progress just to get another MV.
Maybe it's just me because by the time P5 story hits climax/pay off, I was really burned off by it and just want to be done with it.

I thought I would hate the whole Idol/J-Pop stuff, which is why I never bought this despite being one of 10 Wii U owners and a Persona fan, but the theme song grew on me and when they introduced Kirias male costar I was sold LOL. Everyone needs an intro like that

Really enjoying this game so far, kills me there most likely won't be a TMS2

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Just started chapter 4. I'm like falling asleep playing this. The constant combat grind is just a massive slog. The story is non existent and the characters are just....there. The unfortunate souls in your B squad just vanish from the game if you don't level them since you don't get their side quests. I'm often surprised when the red haired dude (don't even remember his name) pops up in cutscenes and I'm like, "Oh yeah. You're here, too." Gotta feel bad for him when he's level 14 while the rest of my A squad are level 39. Lol.

I usually can only play about an hour at a time before I get burned out and turn the game off. I feel like I'm forcing myself through it for something to play until Miku comes out on the Switch next month.

May 30, 2018
Forgot to mention, but the ability to save anywhere is so CLUTCH for this game, my goodness. I save constantly, so even when a Savage enemy catches me slipping, I lose like 10 mins of progress at worst.

In P5 if I died before getting to The next safe room that was usually it for my playthrough of the day, it seriously made me turn off the PS4. Granted it rarely happened, since most of my deaths were to bosses, but on the rare occasions, it was just awful, game ending tbh.

Being honest, I like TMS's party more than everybody except makoto and futaba, tbh

The story is pretty meh though by comparison to p5 even with p5 crapping the bed halfway through

You're sleeping on Goro. Probably the best character between the two games. Otherwise yeah the TMS cast is so happy go lucky, pretty refreshing lol

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the ability to save anywhere is a true life-saver. It was the same in the Wii U version, but now that TMS is portable, it's an even bigger help than ever.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
They really turned the tiddie jiggle up to max wirh Maiko...

Didn't play the Wii U version, guessing it was made more prominent in the Switch version?

Seeing it made me wince due to how much It would hurt. Especially how it's Senran Kagura'd where almost any movement causes the breasts to move.

I was honestly shocked they didn't apply those physics to other female characters such as Tsubasa (grantedI just finished Chapter 1 recently, so there very well could be worse instances later on).

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
at least we didn't see those jiggle physics while she was in a swimsuit

.....yeah, i kinda forgot about the physics, kiria & tsubasa are way less prominent while maiko is close to team ninja levels.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look I know anything I say you're just gonna say "no" so I'ma just say as much as I love this game P5 is just straight up one of my favorite RPG's ever. It's also my favorite cast in any MegaTen related games besides DDS.

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
Can I ask why you guys think the story is weak? I've already come to terms with why people might think so when I don't agree but I want to hear thoughts

Jomon

One Winged Slayer
Jun 16, 2019
Brazil
Can I ask why you guys think the story is weak? I've already come to terms with why people might think so when I don't agree but I want to hear thoughts
I think they are hoping (I was, on the Wii U version) a story with a more serious note. If you think about another RPGs in MegaTen series they (normally) have some questions about the society. TMS is more Fire Emblem-esque when working with the themes. I don't think this is bad, but a I can understand people coming with wrong expectations.

The unfortunate souls in your B squad just vanish from the game if you don't level them since you don't get their side quests. I'm often surprised when the red haired dude (don't even remember his name) pops up in cutscenes and I'm like, "Oh yeah. You're here, too." Gotta feel bad for him when he's level 14 while the rest of my A squad are level 39. Lol.
A big part of the enjoyment of the battle system, IMO, is change characters anytime, so I think if you don't do this, the system will be very boring (and I don't know how you can play efficiently this without change characters).

When you get a certain level of Stage Rank, the characters
gain a skill called "Open Audition", with this they will enter in a Session even without staying in the active party, so you don't need to change much more (besides to target weak points) and is a good bonus damage and a awesome animations.
Besides, in late game are Sessions-only skills activation, then if you have more characters taking part in the sessions you will have more chances to get more damage and animations.

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished up chapter 3, really enjoying this so far even though there's a lot of goofiness. Trying to do Kiria's third side story now, boss seems a bit rough.

Honestly the most annoying thing in the game for me is the Fire Emblem characters and where they come from. I get using Chrom for the main guy, but then the next two characters are Caeda and Cain. I guess they are all from either Awakening or the first game, but feels like they should have all been from the same game, and then (hopefully) a sequel can take characters from a different game.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I like both games a lot, but P5 characters are either boring or annoying, or just barely exist.
Yep. I think that Persona 5 is the superior game, but the cast is really weak, and compared to the cast in P4 it feels really subpar. TMS's characters are not stellar either, but maybe because my expectations of the game were lower, I found them to be quite entertaining. Itsuki is boring for sure, but Joker, Ann and Ryuji are boring or annoying. Eleonora is the one-note character, which is exactly what Yusuke was in P5. Futaba and Makoto are the only characters that have something interesting to offer, as Haru is a no-character. TMS is a straightforward and fun fantasy JRPG, it doesn't try to tackle serious themes like P5 did, and maybe that's for the best as P5 mostly did a really poor job on this regard.

Honestly the most annoying thing in the game for me is the Fire Emblem characters and where they come from. I get using Chrom for the main guy, but then the next two characters are Caeda and Cain
Both are from the original NES game. Is Caeda the new name for Sheeda? I'd swear the character has always been Sheeda.

Last edited:

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Just got absolutely wrecked by the 2nd dungeon mini-boss. I thought I was doing really well too. Oh well...

Personally I really like the characters and story so far. I feel like people just aren't enjoying the tone of the whole thing which is understandable, but not a fault of the characters or story.

Last edited:

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Just started chapter 4. I'm like falling asleep playing this. The constant combat grind is just a massive slog. The story is non existent and the characters are just....there. The unfortunate souls in your B squad just vanish from the game if you don't level them since you don't get their side quests. I'm often surprised when the red haired dude (don't even remember his name) pops up in cutscenes and I'm like, "Oh yeah. You're here, too." Gotta feel bad for him when he's level 14 while the rest of my A squad are level 39. Lol.

I usually can only play about an hour at a time before I get burned out and turn the game off. I feel like I'm forcing myself through it for something to play until Miku comes out on the Switch next month.

If you feel this way about the game just stop playing.

Sounds like you don't like the combat that much (the main appeal of the game), and the story never gets any better, so there's nothing to look forward to in that regard.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I just started this game yesterday. I have a question about combat. How do I use sessions?

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I just started this game yesterday. I have a question about combat. How do I use sessions?

They're passive skills triggered by targeting weaknesses with specific weapon/skill types. i.e. if a party member has elec-lunge, that session skill will be triggered if you target an electric weakness with a different party member.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If Persona 5 is Final Fantasy 4/5 , Tokyo Mirage Sessions is Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. That isn't really a bad thing by any means but it's a heavily simplified and streamlined version of almost the same thing. In some ways this is good and others it makes it feel like a quick lower budget spin off. I imagine the truth is somewhere in the middle. I say this having completed 2 chapters and 2 intermissions now. You can savor the 5 course steak dinner with Persona OR having a bubble gum ice cream sundae with TMS. Some people can't eat ice cream and others don't like steak.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Finally ordered my copy. Seems this had a smaller print run so I don't see major sales down the road so with amazon matching Walmart's In store price right now I bit as I really wanted to come back and finish this

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
If Persona 5 is Final Fantasy 4/5 , Tokyo Mirage Sessions is Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. That isn't really a bad thing by any means but it's a heavily simplified and streamlined version of almost the same thing. In some ways this is good and others it makes it feel like a quick lower budget spin off. I imagine the truth is somewhere in the middle. I say this having completed 2 chapters and 2 intermissions now. You can savor the 5 course steak dinner with Persona OR having a bubble gum ice cream sundae with TMS. Some people can't eat ice cream and others don't like steak.
Probably the best way to put it lol.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate not having to deal with the overabundance of dialogue/text in this game vs. P5. Though since Itsuki isn't a silent protag him not responding at all is a lot funnier.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. As someone that's really enjoying this game that feels like a really backhanded comparison.
Yeah I can see how it can be read as disparaging. I loved the game on the Wii U and I'm replaying it on the Switch but I just understand how some people aren't into the subject matter and stuff. It seems most enjoy the battle system though.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That's insulting. Mystic Quest was devised specifically as an entry level beginner's JRPG.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions has a different focus and different conceptual themes and systems from Persona and SMT, but that doesn't make it "babby's first RPG."

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

If you're going with FF comparisons, Persona 5 is FFX and TMS is FFX-2 (sillier but with arguably better gameplay).

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I can see how it can be read as disparaging. I loved the game on the Wii U and I'm replaying it on the Switch but I just understand how some people aren't into the subject matter and stuff. It seems most enjoy the battle system though.

I absolutely understand how the tone and story isn't for everyone, but I can't imagine a way to compare a game to Mystic Quest without it being an insult.

If you're going with FF comparisons, Persona 5 is FFX and TMS is FFX-2 (sillier but with arguably better gameplay).

This is a much better comparison. Haha

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Same.

I had my first game over at the 2nd dungeon mini boss yesterday. Well I could have beaten it but Tsubasa died and I had no revival items left. He kept hitting Tsubasa and Kiria for a shit ton of damange.

Are most you playing portable or docked?

Docked.

What level are you at right now if you don't mind me asking? I just got to the same boss myself and my team got rocked almost immediately.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Docked.

What level are you at right now if you don't mind me asking? I just got to the same boss myself and my team got rocked almost immediately.
I already played a little after that (so all my characters are 21-22), but I think all my members were around level 20ish for the fight. With adequate items I was able to get through it. After I realized I wasn't going to win the first time I just tried discovering weaknesses so I could exploit them. FYI playing on normal.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

What difficulty are you playing on?

I find the game much more entertaining on hard just because of how quickly battles can go south if you screw up. In the third dungeon there's those Leviathans that repel electricity, and if you trigger a session on those that involves on electricity it can backfire fast. Bosses are usually determined in how you handle the first couple of turns.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
My main difference between P5 and TMS is that I expected to like P5 and didn't and expected to dislike TMS and loved it. It's only more evident having played the games in the order of TMS>P5>TMS Encore.

Nayishiki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I love both this game and P5.(shrug)
Same here.

Same.

I had my first game over at the 2nd dungeon mini boss yesterday. Well I could have beaten it but Tsubasa died and I had no revival items left. He kept hitting Tsubasa and Kiria for a shit ton of damange.

Are most you playing portable or docked?

Played the Wii U version in 2016 so right now I'm mostly playing it in portable mode. I'm taking my time with it and currently at Chapter 3 Intermission. The shorter load times and quick sessions really help, I"ll try beating it in lunatic mode this time for New Game.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if I'd compare this game to Mystic Quest, it's quite good in a different way. The combat and mechanics are simplified, but I don't think it's to the degree of Mystic Quest. There's no demon fusion (the Carnage Unities and Radiant Unities kind of replace that), but it's still very important to equip the right Carnage and have the right party members to not get too many weaknesses exploited by the enemy. I think comparing it to Mystic Quest is a very much overstating it's simplicity.

For those that haven't started this game yet, I really really recommend playing on Hard. Like most recent Fire Emblem games, Hard is pretty much the "Normal" IMO.

The game is also a lot more like Strange Journey, Persona Q, or Etrian Odyssey in the regard that it wants you to make frequent trips back out of dunegons for the Unities. Persona games have this too (with either a stamina or just not giving you much SP restoring items so you have to come back on a different day), but it doesn't quite feel the same there.

Oct 27, 2017
I think I've said it before, but I love how the translated subtitles for the songs actually match the melody instead of being a straight translation. It's like those are the actual English lyrics.

Anyway, I've been wondering this since the Wii U release, but are the stat increases you get when you level up random a la FE? I've never actually checked.

Oct 25, 2017
Is this game supposed to be insidiously difficult? I'm level 13~14 on the 106 Building dungeon, (the one with the French-maid body tunnel things).
Regular enemies are fine, but the dungeon boss is wrecking me.