• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
How is this doing sales wise? Is it succeeding enough to make up for the abysmal performance in the Wii U?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarily want a direct sequel because the story is boring as sin but I hope it can spawn some kind of spiritual successor or vibe sequel if that makes any sense

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
I've just finished Chapter 2 and thought I understood the Combat system but I got my ass handed to me from the previous Chapter boss and had to put it down to Easy then I got my ass handed to me again on fucking Easy at the Chapter 2 boss and had to put it down to 'Friendly' which seemingly only unlocks once you suck really bad.

Anything I'm missing here? Loving the game but the difficulty is kicking my ass!

slsk

Oct 27, 2017
I've just finished Chapter 2 and thought I understood the Combat system but I got my ass handed to me from the previous Chapter boss and had to put it down to Easy then I got my ass handed to me again on fucking Easy at the Chapter 2 boss and had to put it down to 'Friendly' which seemingly only unlocks once you suck really bad.

Anything I'm missing here? Loving the game but the difficulty is kicking my ass!

If you haven't done so already, go and buy accessories from the Carabia store in Shibuya. This will increase your armor.
From what I can remember Kiria is pretty useful for the Chapter 2 boss as she can put enemies to sleep.
Also, are you getting sessions with every character on every turn?

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
If you haven't done so already, go and buy accessories from the Carabia store in Shibuya. This will increase your armor.
From what I can remember Kiria is pretty useful for the Chapter 2 boss as she can put enemies to sleep.
Also, are you getting sessions with every character on every turn?

Ah ok, yeah I've bought nothing from Carabia yet as I just assumed I'd get armour upgrades from the dungeons but haven't noticed any so far so that may well be what's severely lacking.

I was using Tsubasa, Kiria and Itsuki as my team (although switched Tsubasa for Touma when I was getting my ass kicked) and have used Kiria's sleep move previously but never really thought about using it in this fight as I was trying to go on the offence and use the multi-hit ice attack she has so I will definitely bare that in mind.

I'm getting sessions with more or less every character every turn when I'm in a dungeon but when encountering a boss or strong enemy or something then it's probably 2 characters out of the 3 that'll get a Session rather than all 3.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Ah ok, yeah I've bought nothing from Carabia yet as I just assumed I'd get armour upgrades from the dungeons but haven't noticed any so far so that may well be what's severely lacking.

I was using Tsubasa, Kiria and Itsuki as my team (although switched Tsubasa for Touma when I was getting my ass kicked) and have used Kiria's sleep move previously but never really thought about using it in this fight as I was trying to go on the offence and use the multi-hit ice attack she has so I will definitely bare that in mind.

I'm getting sessions with more or less every character every turn when I'm in a dungeon but when encountering a boss or strong enemy or something then it's probably 2 characters out of the 3 that'll get a Session rather than all 3.

When a boss has little enemies with it it's usually a good idea to ignore them/status effect them with Kiria or an item and focus on the boss. Also I think Kiria's multi-hit ice attack is pretty bad and you shouldn't waste precious SP on it.

May 30, 2018
Duo arts and Ad Libs really mixes things up so it doesn't feel so repetitive, I love it. Persona should incorporate something similar. I love that it's always a reference to some concert/movie a character performed in

There should def be a TMS 2.0, with much of the same themes (entertainment industry). Maybe add some variety and have like a socialite, or a star athlete filming a movie or something lol. I actually think the character interactions, gameplay, and presentation are strong enough to carry the game even with a lacklustre plot.

Also I just got the ability to break down walls, but most of the chests I encountered are unlockable. I only need 2 more master seals smh

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
tsubasa is a big dummy but she should definitely have been the main character

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to buy this after I finish up the fe dlc, but I'm glad people here are enjoying it. Hopefully this translates to sales and we get a sequel of some kind.

rdaneel72

Oct 27, 2017
I died on the final boss. Almost 45 mins and one bad choice and I'm back at the last save right before him.

I was so enjoying this game, too.

This is bullshit!!!

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I died on the final boss. Almost 45 mins and one bad choice and I'm back at the last save right before him.

I was so enjoying this game, too.

This is bullshit!!!
love that it waits till the last boss to introduce a new status effect that you cant do shit but drop amrita sodas on

Oct 27, 2017
I finished it last night, my opinions (with minor spoilers):

I unexpectedly had lots of fun with this game. I usually can't stand JRPGs - the last one I finished was... Mother 5 years ago, I think, and it was painful. In the meantime, I tried Persona 3, various Mario RPGs and the Dragon Quest XIS demo and they all bored me to death for one reason or another (nothing against the games, really, simply the genre is not my cup of tea).

I enjoyed the way TMS streamlined lots of the genre's tropes and gameplay mechanics. The game drops you on a dungeon very soon, without long (and for me usually boring) introduction sequences. The micromanagement is reduced to weapons and armors. There's only one item shop and only one armor shop. The game is fast and wants you to spend most of the time with actual gameplay - I really liked this! (I should say I played the game on easy mode, which probably also helped to reduce the micromanaging)

The game really shines in dungeons and during battles. I dropped Persona 3 because the dungeons were always the same random-generated shit, but here they have an actual level design, and each of them has its own gimmick. In a way, it reminded me of Astral Chain, which also had a more sophisticated level design than your average action game, almost "Zelda-lite" (interesting both games were co-directed by Kaori Ando from Nintendo, who I suspect was involved with the level design). Sure, sometimes the gimmicks make exploring the dungeons a bit tedious (the TV screen dungeon is the main culprit here), but at least they have a lot of personality and I don't think any of them overstayed their welcome.

The battles were very addicting. Bashing an enemy with long sessions is incredibly satisfying, and so was figuring out the weakness of new enemies. The duo performance also adds a bit of real-time flavor to the BS - you have to decide how to attack the enemy, and you have to be fast! The pacing of the game also helped keeping the battles always interesting - at the beginning, it gives you new characters each new chapter, and once you've unlocked the last character you get access to the duo arts.

Gameplay-wise it's a shame they basically dropped the Persona social links, because they various game locations feel... very dull. In Persona the local café is an actual café and the local gym is an actual gym - you meet people there and you actually socialize. In TMS they are either window dressing for generic JRPG shops (the market, the jewelry, the costume shop), things you used only during the story sequences or side-stories but with no real input from you the player (the gym) or totally useless locations which had to be there because hey we are aping Persona (the café and the various small shops you can interact with). This might have been a consequence of the game effort to streamline everything, but in this case, unfortunately, it was done to its own detriment - Shibuya didn't feel very alive, which is probably against the point.

But my biggest complaint is with the story and the characters. Itsuki is probably the most bland main character ever appeared in a Nintendo game - he has no dreams, no flaws, no personality. He's a cardboard every girl in the cast falls for, and most of the other characters are walking stereotypes. The way the game idolizes (eh) the Japanese idol industry is incredibly wrong - the medieval fantasy setting of mainline Fire Emblem feels more anchored to reality than this. The game even acknowledges some serious issues, mostly in chapter 2 with the whole gravure idol affaire (ignoring the censorship here) or during Tsubasa and Kiria's sidestories, but at the end, it blames everything on the characters. The industry has no faults in asking a young person to appear almost naked on-camera or acting against their own self, it is the young person who has to grown-up. All of this is terribly wrong, really, and it's a shame Kiria and Tsubasa (and to a lesser extent Eleonora, with the bi-racial discrimination she has to suffer when not acting), the only interesting characters with something to say, had to appear in this story, instead of a more thought one. The relationship between Berry and Mamori is also really creepy. It's not that you can't make a JRPG rooted in the idol industry, rather, if you want to do it (which I think it's a good idea, btw - near the end the game moves from Tsubasa's personal issues to a more generic end-of-the-world plot, and it's far less interesting) you have to acknowledge how rotten the industry is.

All said, a very good 7.5/10 experience for me. For the sequel keep the BS, continue to give the dungeons their own gimmick, hire a good writer and give more personality to the game world and you'll have a modern-day classic.

Some other tidbits:
- Tiki=Waifu is a really nice character. A shame the game doesn't have interesting NPCs like her. She's probably in the autistic spectrum, and the way she's happily portraited at the end of Tiki's last side-story (when she meets Tiki) is really nice and it says more than the various "we are idols, we connect to people, we bring happiness" dialogues the game is full of.
- The game is at first framed as Tsubasa's story, then it becomes the generic end of the world thing. It's strange how Tsubasa's story is relegated to her side-quest and the EX story, de-facto providing two different climaxes. A bit of a mess structurally.
- Why does Kiria - and only Kiria - get an alternated costume for story sequences at the end? Not complaining, because she's obviously the best girl and if you think otherwise you're obviously very wrong, but it's strange.
- I didn't like the more traditional story at the end of the game, but the setting of the last dungeon was really nice visually. It's a shame other dungeons weren't this hybrid of modern-day and classic FE locations.
- The game story would have probably worked better without Awakening characters. Or maybe each Mirage should have been an Awakening character, leaving the FE1/3 characters for the ending.

Last edited:

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Finished my first run this weekend, the song before the final boss was cheesy lyric-wise, but as a FE fan it had me grinning for obvious reasons.

The final side quest for Tiki was really touching, teared up a bit near the end of it. That song was really nicely done for it also.

Really hoping they do a sequel, it was one of the few JRPGs released recently that I really enjoyed.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Itsuki might be bland, but his has a great singing voice. No wonder everyone craves for him.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Beat it tonight. A good combat and upgrade system, but that's basically it. The story and characters were incredibly poor. I'm especially annoyed at the inclusion of Itsuki, one of the dullest protagonists in any JRPG. The game would be so much better if they just did the right thing and make Tsubasa the main character, but no, they needed to pander to the harem audience. It's especially dumb in this game because Itsuki has no desire or talent for any performance industry. Literally anyone else is more qualified to be the main character! Justice for Tsubasa, justice for Yashiro!

I agree and I had no trouble using FFWD so far and didn't miss a thing. Some things (side stories) I read a bit more slower, but in the end they are mostly useless fluff too. I still love Eleonora and Tsubara though.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Im enjoying the game, although I feel that is way too easy, even on hard

Also, I love Kiria

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
apart from her terrible default performa costume she rules

One thing that I found about her normal clothes design is Kiria showing what seems to be her panties/thong since

1) This is a Nintendo game that got some changes from the japanese version (like the infamous "Vagina Bones")

2) I always thought that Japanese pop idols dressed up more like innocent young girls compared to western stars who definitely use sex appeal more

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any point in doing Carnage unities for characters I'll never use? I just realized I've been wasting a bunch of resources on Tsubasa when she's not even going to be in my party for very long. I'm replacing her ASAP as soon as I get Mamori.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Massively useful for upgrading your session skills and/or using skills outside of battle.

Tbf you'll be earning so much performa you might as well, I'm almost at the end and I keep going back to the Bloom Palace just to unload my inventory. Its also useful to have a high level carnage with a status effect and drain characteristics just in case you need to swap characters in.
Yeah, that's fair. I'm not really worried about the perfoma. I'm more worried about the stars since those drop less. The better weapons need more stars.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
you need to get all party members at least high enough to get their off-party session attack skills and generally it's better to keep them competitive anyway since their damage is still based on their stats

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any point in doing Carnage unities for characters I'll never use? I just realized I've been wasting a bunch of resources on Tsubasa when she's not even going to be in my party for very long. I'm replacing her ASAP as soon as I get Mamori.

You should really be cycling all your characters in and out depending on what enemies you're fighting, and their elements and weapon types. Mamori isn't going to be very helpful when you're up against a group of sword enemies, for example.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Also the fact you can swap AND use a move on the same turn makes this incredibly easy to cycle party members effectively

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
You should really be cycling all your characters in and out depending on what enemies you're fighting, and their elements and weapon types. Mamori isn't going to be very helpful when you're up against a group of sword enemies, for example.
Yeah, you're right. I was just going to drop Tsubasa forever and rotate Eleanor in and out.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the third chapter on hard and the combat in this game is kicking my ass. I love it.

Too bad I couldn't care less about the characters or the story. But goddamn, the battle system is good enough to keep me going. It's like a combination of press turn and demon co-op from Strange Journey. They could transplant this system into a mainline game and it'd fit right in... dancing sequences and soda commercials aside.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Are there any adequate write-ups/video breakdowns on the localization differences? I'm about to reach the infamous clothing swap scene in the gravure dungeon -- which, if I'm not mistaken, was the only scenario involving major alterations -- and I'd rather not resort to watching CensoredGaming bullshit.

(Not that I really care either way, mind -- been enjoying the game leisurely over the past month and was just curious.)

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the changes are minimal. There's the ages of the characters, some weird inconsistent purple clouds haphazardly placed on some bosses, vagina bones and the wedding dress. One of the DLC packs which doesn't have gameplay wasn't released in the West either.

The gravure dungeon is changed cos honestly who the fuck knows what gravure is anyway. I didn't until people complained about the Wii U release.

I'm aware of what they generally are; I meant moreso, say, thorough comparisons between the US/JPN versions of the gravure scenario. (Again, preferably from sources not pandering to horny right-wing outrage.) Just curious, is all!

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
I'm aware of what they generally are; I meant moreso, say, thorough comparisons between the US/JPN versions of the gravure scenario. (Again, preferably from sources not pandering to horny right-wing outrage.) Just curious, is all!

Basically, whenever you see anyone in their modelling clothes, imagine they're in a bikini instead.
Whenever someone says "Model" or "Modelling," mentally add the word "Bikini" in front of that.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017

It's the same scenario except instead of Tsubasa being nervous about modeling in general she's nervous about modeling in a bikini.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've just searched for all the outlets that covered it back in the day... And they all refer to the Censored Gaming video *facepalm* even Kotaku and US Gamer.

So uhh...I dunno, take my word for it? Heh.

Yeah, I found the Kotaku article last night, ahaha. How embarrassing.

It's the same scenario except instead of Tsubasa being nervous about modeling in general she's nervous about modeling in a bikini.

Guess I'll see for myself!

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of modeling for the equivalent of...say, sports illustrated's swimsuit issue, it's modeling in general. That's the main difference basically.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Whew. I focused on it all morning, but I finally beat the game today. My trophy wall in Fortuna has a surprising lack of awards for someone that finished the game, but oh well.

I really enjoyed the game all around and I would love to see a direct sequel, but I'm sure that unfortunately this is the last we'll see of them. :(