• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sFJ4xa1.png

Developer: Nihon Falcom
Publisher: Not XSEED Aksys Games
Genre: Action RPG, NPC talking simulator
Platforms: PS4 and PC (Regular version is on Vita)
Release date: December 8, 2017 (NA/EU), September 8, 2016 (JP)
Price: $59.99
Has Mishy: Yes

Where to buy:

RrkeaJ1.png

10 years ago, a colossal earthquake devastated Tokyo and changed the lives of its inhabitants forever. The city has since been rebuilt and life has slowly returned to a semblance of normalcy. However, behind the veil of this newly rebuilt metropolis lies another world, one with a sinister secret. The earthquake that originally destroyed Tokyo was actually caused by the emergence of a mysterious and lethal shadow world known as Eclipse. Now, action must be taken to thwart the legions of Eclipse and ensure the protection of peace!

g3XYjUh.png

Party Members

Minor Characters

N7C6bU9.png

At its core, Tokyo Xanadu is an dungeon-crawling Action RPG that features several playable protagonists and the ability to switch between them at will. Different movesets - attacks, skills, and elemental affinities - give each character a unique fighting style. Kou is a good all-rounder, with good damage, a melee attack with high reach, and a powerful Power Skill (more on skills in the next section). Asuka, on the other hand, has quick attacks, high move speed, and Ranged Skill that can rack up damage quickly. Customize your favorite characters to create the perfect monster-killing team!

Skills
Each character has access to three skills:

Ranged - A ranged attack that scales with Magic Attack.
0uEviAS.jpg

Power - A mighty strike that scales with Attack.
17jHsfY.png

Flying - A piercing charge that scales with both Attack and Magic Attack. Can be used from a distance to approach, or up close to hit the enemy multiple times.
V130kvA.jpg

Each character's skills are unique. Kou's Power Skill is a multi-hit spinning attack; Mitsuki's Power Skill is a shield that damages enemies and protects the user from a single hit. Knowing when to switch party members for their skills is the key to clearing levels quickly and efficiently.

Kill Bonuses
Killing enemies in certain ways will net you greater rewards and give you Strike points. These bonuses do stack, so if you're pay attention you can make a lot of money from killing regular enemies!

jUQHRzB.png

X-Strike
Get Strike points by using Skill Attacks, getting Kill Bonuses, and getting higher combos. Once you have enough, you can unleash an X-Strike, a powerful attack that will leave even the strongest enemies trembling.

SIzBEw6.jpg

X-Drive
Dealing damage to enemies builds up your D-Gauge. When it reaches 100%, you can activate X-Drive.

oN0YGUJ.jpg

During X-Drive, you can use skills indefinitely, your HP recovers, and your attacks are always effective. Your partner also enters the fray and attacks in tandem with you, allowing you to create some crazy combos.
ef1Akb1.jpg

Confused about X-Drive and X-Strike? Here's a quick summary: X-Drive lets you go crazy with your skills for a short time. X-Strike is a single, powerful attack that will outright one-shot most mobs and deal heavy damage to bosses. Since X-Drive lets you hit enemies with a lot of skills and lets you increase your combo easily, an effective strategy is to use X-Drive to build up your Strike points. Once you have enough Strike points, unleash your X-Strike on your opponents!
tl;dr - use X-Drive to charge your X-Strike

sqZrNVq.png

When you're not clearing dungeons, you'll be able to explore the bustling Tokyo suburb of Morimiya City. Through your part-time jobs, sidequests, and investigations, you'll travel to a number of diverse locations, from the hallways of Morimiya Academy, to the shady backstreets of Houraichou, to the sky-high Acros Tower. Free Time is also when you can have Bonding Events, where you can hang out with your friends to get closer with them. And of course, there are a bunch of fun minigames to keep you distracted. You better believe there's fishing and Mishy Panic!

True to its Falcom heritage, Tokyo Xanadu features a large number of named (and unnamed) NPC's that you'll run into during your stay, each with their own little story that develops over the course of the game. If you're familiar with the Trails games, you'll feel right at home talking to all the different characters in Morimiya City and getting invested in their daily lives. It's not expected for you to talk to every NPC in every location. But if that's your thing, fear not: there's a character notebook that keeps track of all of the characters' stories for you.

E8dRe1x.png

Tokyo Xanadu is the original Vita title. Tokyo Xanadu eX+ is an updated rerelease for PS4 and PC.
Compared to the original, Tokyo Xanadu eX+ has a bunch of cool new things:
  • 60 FPS
  • Full HD (Arbitrary resolution for PC)
  • New scenarios
    • A brand-new side-story after every chapter
    • An additional Halloween-themed after-story once you finish the main game. Spooky!
  • At least two new playable characters
    • Play as the mysterious White Shroud, an enigma clad in white.
    • Is he good? Is he evil? Does he just have a really bad fashion sense?
  • Time Attack and Boss Rush modes
  • A new, higher difficulty level
  • Rebalanced gameplay
  • New dungeons and enemies
  • New Falcom music!
Tokyo Xanadu eX+ is the definitive version, with better performance, more content, and even more Mishy.

VJoTol8.png

Is this game like Persona 3-5?
Kind of. It takes place in a school, and features high school kids going into alternate worlds to fight supernatural enemies. That's where the similarities mostly end, though. I'd say that Tokyo Xanadu shares more DNA with another group of games...

Is this game like other Falcom games?
Wow, I'm glad you asked! As a more eloquent person said,
I like to describe this game as "Trails of Cold Steel if it were a Light Novel set in modern day Japan and had Ys-like ARPG combat instead of being turn-based."
Structurally it's very similar: each chapter is broken into freetime, where you do your sidequests, optional dungeons, and have "friendship episodes" with your favorite characters. It even has most of the same (slightly changed) side activities as Cold Steel, like fishing, Mishy Panic, Blade and Cooking. Skateboarding is new, but is similar to Cold Steel II's Snowboarding.
In typical Falcom fashion the world is very well realized and feels alive, with lots of likeable NPCs that have their own little stories going on in the background.
[edited]

So do I need to play any other games to enjoy this one?
Nope! While there are a bunch of winks and nods to other Falcom games, they won't affect your understanding of what's going on. To be clear, you absolutely do NOT need to play Xanadu (1985), Xanadu Next (2005) or any other game, to enjoy Tokyo Xanadu.

I heard that the translation for the Vita version was a bit spotty. Has that changed?
*Chortle*

Is there a dub?
Japanese audio only.

How's the PC port?
Ghostlight did the PC port, and word on the street is that they did a good job. I'll update this once the game releases and impressions start coming out.

Edit: Looks like the port is a good one! Here's the system requirements:
MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz or comparable
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 or comparable
Sound Card: Windows compatible sound card

I'm playing on PC. Any recommended mods or tweaks?
Kvik released a mod to replace the Xbox button prompts with Playstation icons! Here's the link.
Also, Ascheroth made a cheat table so that you can get infinite bonding points per chapter, which lets you talk to all of your party members. I'd highly recommend doing this - it really fleshes out the cast.

Find it here.
Instructions:
Go into the game
-> open the Cheat Engine table
-> select the game process
-> set the Affinity Shard value to what you want
-> set it as active.

If you tab back into the game, you should immediately see the new values and can actually close CheatEngine at this point.

How's the difficulty?
The game starts out quite easy, but the difficulty ramps up HARD after a few chapters. And then it gets a bit easier towards the end of the game. Don't worry, though: you can change your difficulty level at any time (provided you're not playing on the highest difficulty, Calamity), and if you lose a boss fight there's an option to retry on a lower difficulty.

I played the Vita version. Am I welcome here?
Oh, you poor soul. Of course you are!

How anime is this game?
Pretty anime. It even plays an opening at the beginning of every chapter. Just like your favorite Chinese cartoon.
I will say this, however. Remember in Trails of Cold Steel when Rean falls into Alisa's boobs? I'm around halfway through the game and I haven't seen anything even remotely comparable to that. It's been pretty devoid of egregious fanservice.

Why is Towa here? Isn't sh-
Yes.

How much Mishy.
A lot of Mishy. But never enough Mishy.

RuB88Da.png

Thanks to Falcom for making the game, Aksys for publishing in NA/EU, and Ghostlight (Hi Ghostlight_Ross!) for doing the PC port. All hail our corporate overlords.
Huge thanks to the following users:
Astrael for doing the amazing banners and images.
Ascheroth for creating the OT title and letting me use his write-up.
Cornbread78 for doing the Vita OT and letting me use some of his OT resources.
Kvik for offering to cheerlead while I wrote the OT.
And finally, a huge shoutout to FalcomEra and the FalcomEra Discord! Y'all are a great bunch of people.
Is this where I shill the FalcomEra Discord? We're a pretty casual chat about all things Falcom-related (including, but not limited to, Xanadu, Ys, Trails, and more). If you want to join, just send me, Erheller, a PM with the subject line "FalcomEra Discord" or something to that effect. We'd love to have you!

Last edited:

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
Wooo, it's about time!

And for to there interested, besides the mentioned examples in the OT, it's dunegon-based gameplay is pretty much a modern take on Zwei II, down to the gates between levels, scoring systems and the requirements for those, the size and pacing of them, and even a roulette for goodies at the end of minor ones.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I'd like it if this is sold on Humblebundle.com. I think AKSYS released some of their games on there and I could sure use some in-store credit from the purchase :P

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for reminding me I've barely touched this on Vita. Man, this year will have been stacked to the very end.

Still getting it tomorrow.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Hooray Tokyo xanadu! Great OT.
Looking forward to playing this
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very interested in this game and have a 20% code that I want to use. Is this game worth getting? I don't want a persona lite though

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Really want to play this game, but it's coming out at a bad time for me. Will definitely pick it up at a later point though. Can't say no to Falcom games!

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I liked the Vita version a lot, looking forward to replaying it on PS4 after I finish up Xenoblade 2.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to have more people play it. Game was a lot of fun and had some really fantastic bosses. Enjoy y'all!

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
I know it's petty, but kinda don't want to shell out for a Falcom game that's not DRM-free on PC. Guess I'll wait for a sale.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to get this having not played the original. Depends on the price I guess (since it's not up on the UK store and no price on steam) since I'm trying to save money but I've been interested in this since the JP release so we'll see...

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
From Xeno2 straight into Xanadu BAYBEE!!!

Considering that this is a Vita game, how likely is it that a GTX960 can run this at 4k60? I can run Tales of Berseria at a PS4Pro-like 1800p and 60fps so maybe?

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'll pick this up in the neat future. Still playing through the Vita version, but the game is absolutely great so I hope more people hop in now!

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I know it's petty, but kinda don't want to shell out for a Falcom game that's not DRM-free on PC. Guess I'll wait for a sale.
Dang, I forgot that Aksys hasn't put this up on GOG. It's not improbable for GOG to have rejected the game on whatever dumb premise they sometimes have, but that sure doesn't look good when even NISA responded to fan feedback by putting the game up on GOG. (No word about Humble though...)

Anyway, this version of Tokyo Xanadu's the main event, and hopefully Aksys isn't just doing nice PR when saying they've fixed the script. Game itself looks as solid as ever; if any of you OT regulars end up enjoying it, definitely check out Zwei: TII on Steam/GOG/Humble since that has similar dungeon-crawling and world density.

Gridman

Oct 25, 2017
Well, looks like I need to scrounge up some extra money for tomorrow. This is something I've been looking forward to for quite some time. Especially since Towa makes a cameo..

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Haven't got round to importing the Vita version so might just get it on PS4. Is the Euro version delayed or something? Can't see it anywhere online...

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
is this basically cold steel but modern day?

ok i read the op, it is

OP
OP

Deleted member 2585

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very interested in this game and have a 20% code that I want to use. Is this game worth getting? I don't want a persona lite though

It's honestly not even that close to Persona outside of the window dressing. Not only is TX an ARPG, but the school parts emphasize different things than Persona. Whereas in Persona you have tons of nameless NPC's that walk around and don't really do anything, TX has a huge number of NPC's that have their own little story that unfolds over the course of the game. Even if you don't talk to every NPC all the time, it does a lot to sell the world and characters as more than just backdrops for the action.

Anyways, while TX may borrow a few elements from Persona, I think it does different enough things to stand on its own. Anyways, I expand on that further in the OT FAQ.

From Xeno2 straight into Xanadu BAYBEE!!!

Considering that this is a Vita game, how likely is it that a GTX960 can run this at 4k60? I can run Tales of Berseria at a PS4Pro-like 1800p and 60fps so maybe?

From the Steam page:

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz or comparable
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 or comparable
  • Sound Card: Windows compatible sound card

I'd say you have a good shot. It's not a demanding game.

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
Dang, I forgot that Aksys hasn't put this up on GOG. It's not improbable for GOG to have rejected the game on whatever dumb premise they sometimes have, but that sure doesn't look good when even NISA responded to fan feedback by putting the game up on GOG. (No word about Humble though...)

Anyway, this version of Tokyo Xanadu's the main event, and hopefully Aksys isn't just doing nice PR when saying they've fixed the script. Game itself looks as solid as ever; if any of you OT regulars end up enjoying it, definitely check out Zwei: TII on Steam/GOG/Humble since that has similar dungeon-crawling and world density.

Nah, this one is on Aksys (assuming they don't put it up tomorrow.). Every western Falcom release on PC has come to GOG, except for this.

SnowCrow

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot this was coming out already.

I had played a bit of the Vita version but stopped to wait for this version. Time to continue that Falcom goodness.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
It's honestly not even that close to Persona outside of the window dressing. Not only is TX an ARPG, but the school parts emphasize different things than Persona. Whereas in Persona you have tons of nameless NPC's that walk around and don't really do anything, TX has a huge number of NPC's that have their own little story that unfolds over the course of the game. Even if you don't talk to every NPC all the time, it does a lot to sell the world and characters as more than just backdrops for the action.

Anyways, while TX may borrow a few elements from Persona, I think it does different enough things to stand on its own. Anyways, I expand on that further in the OT FAQ.

Okay, thanks for the response. I'm going to get it

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Still waiting for the local price on Steam to show up, but might be grabbing it at launch. Was really tempted to grab the Vita version, but there's simply too much new content here.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2585

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for this. This is bizarre. Who have heard of Bazaar-Bazaar.com? Are they a legitimate online retailer? I was expecting this game to be Available on GAME, Amazon, ShopTo etc.

Yeah, the Aksys PR person is saying that they don't know if it'll be available on GAME, Amazon, etc.

At the very least, looks like it'll be up on PSN!

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for this. This is bizarre. Who have heard of Bazaar-Bazaar.com? Are they a legitimate online retailer? I was expecting this game to be Available on GAME, Amazon, ShopTo etc.

BazaarBazaar seems to be the only website that consistently gets Aksys' releases. It's a weird site, but other people received their games from them without any issues. I wouldn't hold out any hope for bigger sites stocking the game though. Just keep an eye on Base and 365games.

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
Had totally forgotten about that game until I received an email from Amazon that it was shipped.
And looks like il be getting the game for free my CC was not even charged :P

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Great work on the OT, Erheller ! I'm a bit surprised to see my nickname on the OT, since I didn't do that much cheerleading. :RiesSlurp:

I'm looking forward to play this during summer holiday, alongside a bunch of other Falcom games :-)

Akselziys

Aksys Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Nah, this one is on Aksys (assuming they don't put it up tomorrow.). Every western Falcom release on PC has come to GOG, except for this.

We're planning to release on GOG, it just may happen a little after the Steam release as we get all our ducks in order along with approvals since this would be our first potential release on GOG :)

Why is this not unlocked yet on Steam? For some reason I thought 7th of December.

It should unlock around midnight PST tonight so that it releases on Dec 8th alongside the PS4 version.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I can vouch for Bazaar-Bazaar. They get quite a few smaller print run games, just got my Vita EU copy of Bad Apple Wars from them today.

Not sure if I'll grab this physically or digitally though, Finished the Vita version (loved it) and I love the fact that this game is 60FPS and has even more content, though I know I won't play it just yet (getting my Falcom fix via Ys Origins at the moment!).

The original game was flawed at points, and the story felt pretty cliche for the most part but I loved the big story twist, and loved doing a nightmare run playing through the new content.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be our first real opportunity to have something to directly compare to Durante's work, so I'm looking forward to seeing what Ghostlight did and how it measures up.

Will Durante remain the gold standard, or is he going to have to step up his game for CS2? TBD.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ys VIII was one of my favorite games of the year and I'm a TOCS mark since the series released on the PS3 a couple of years ago. I hope its good

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
It does suck that there is no dub. I prefer good dubs for my games and original VA for my anime. It is sort of immersion killing and I often end up pressing a button during the VA because I have no idea when they're done talking thanks to the long pauses, so sometimes I cut them off mid-speech and so it sounds really awkward.