• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

TOLKIEN explores the formative years of the orphaned author as he finds friendship, love and artistic inspiration among a group of fellow outcasts at school. This takes him into the outbreak of World War I, which threatens to tear the "fellowship" apart. All of these experiences would inspire Tolkien to write his famous Middle-Earth novels.

Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity if old

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll watch anything with Lilly Collins

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda hope it's chock-full of ham-handed LOTR references.

Friend: Jay Arr Arr, how are you liking that new ring?

Jay: Nobody notices me! It makes me feel invisible! (Eyes widen, dramatic close-up, LOTR fellowship theme riff)

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The trailer already has rings soooo...

Yes, but it doesn't have Tolkien listening to his neighbor arguing with a contractor

Neighbor: I told you I wanted a bigger door for the entrance by the shade!

Contractor: You haven't paid yet.

Neighbor: I paid you yesterday! Now I want a bigger door! More door! (points) Where the shadows lie!

Tolkien: (eyes widen, Sauron theme riff, furiously scribbles)

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but it doesn't have Tolkien listening to his neighbor arguing with a contractor

Neighbor: I told you I wanted a bigger door for the entrance by the shade!

Contractor: You haven't paid yet.

Neighbor: I paid you yesterday! Now I want a bigger door! More door! (points) Where the shadows lie!

Tolkien: (eyes widen, Sauron theme riff, furiously scribbles)
I'm actually anticipating a lot of this during the film.

atamize

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Buddy: Yo, J, let's hit up the candy store. They got this new sour candy, it'll make you pucker for days.

Tolkien: Nah, I got some writing to do. I can't come up with a name for the main antagonist.

Buddy: Come on, bro. I need to get my sour on!

Tolkien: Sour on...

Method

Oct 25, 2017
Buddy: Yo, J, let's hit up the candy store. They got this new sour candy, it'll make you pucker for days.

Tolkien: Nah, I got some writing to do. I can't come up with a name for the main antagonist.

Buddy: We also need to hit up the grocery store.

Tolkien: I told you, I am writing something and need to name my main protagonist now.

Buddy: Well you still owe mefor the last time we went grocery shopping for the bill though. Bag Ends is the name of the store if you're looking for the receipt.

Tolkien: Billthough... bag ends...

Oct 30, 2017
Buddy: We also need to hit up the grocery store.

Tolkien: I told you, I am writing something and need to name my main protagonist now.

Buddy: Well you still owe mefor the last time we went grocery shopping for the bill though. Bag Ends is the name of the store if you're looking for the receipt.

Tolkien: Billthough... bag ends...
Stranger: Oy! You avin' a fucking giggle, mate?

Tolkien: Not at all. I'm thinking of a character name for my book

Stranger: Ah ya bastard. Ya think ya sam wiseass all merry with ya quill and shite?

Tolkien: Samwise...Merry!

Deleted member 29857

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
giphy.gif

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
The shot at 0:38 is fantastic. The implications and the parallel between his life during WW1 and the worlds he created... incredibly rendered. My gosh, it looks beautiful. Hoult is a great actor too.

The shot I reacted the strongest towards, too, but because I hate it so much.

This makes Tolkien look like a Battlefield 1 character.

Vagger

Oct 29, 2017
It's also directed by Dome Karukoski, a finnish director.
Trailer looks great, will check this one out.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
The shot I reacted the strongest towards, too, but because I hate it so much.

This makes Tolkien look like a Battlefield 1 character.

You reading it literally? It's obviously a visual flourish. I didn't play battlefield 1 so I'll take your word for it. I personally want more people to see this so I'll deal with stylized bits. It is a matter of taste.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Stranger: Oy! You avin' a fucking giggle, mate?

Tolkien: Not at all. I'm thinking of a character name for my book

Stranger: Ah ya bastard. Ya think ya sam wiseass all merry with ya quill and shite?

Tolkien: Samwise...Merry!
Tolkein's Friend: There was a short man throwing bread at me in the street!

Tolkein: Gosh! What did you say?

Tolkein's Friend: Don't Fro-dough!

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
You mean a character designed to look like the people in the war this person was in???

I wasn't talking about the costume you can barely see, I was talking about the framing of the shot, making Tolkien look like a superhuman action hero about to face off with Doomsday. This is a Biopic. I'd expect the WW1 portion to look more like "They Shall Not Grow Old" and not like Batman V Superman or the cover art for "Badass Male Power Fantasy 235"

nine-tips-to-survive-battlefield-1.jpg

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't talking about the costume you can barely see, I was talking about the framing of the shot, making Tolkien look like a superhuman action hero about to face off with Doomsday. This is a Biopic, not Call of Duty. I'd expect the WW1 portion to look more like "They Shall Not Grow Old" and not like Batman V Superman.
It's definitely going for more of a connection with the LOTR franchise.

I...like it? But I like all sorts of cheesy things. We know its definitely not going to be framed in a realistic way in any case.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't talking about the costume you can barely see, I was talking about the framing of the shot, making Tolkien look like a superhuman action hero about to face off with Doomsday. This is a Biopic. I'd expect the WW1 portion to look more like "They Shall Not Grow Old" and not like Batman V Superman or the cover art for "Badass Male Power Fantasy 235"

nine-tips-to-survive-battlefield-1.jpg
That isn't a superhero, that's a person facing death on a battlefield. That's what people without superpowers do. When you recount your fleeting mortality, you don't remember the discussions at a table. It's the explosions, gas, gunfire, and trenches.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
That isn't a superhero, that's a person facing death on a battlefield. That's what people without superpowers do. When you recount your fleeting mortality, you don't remember the discussions at a table. It's the explosions, gas, gunfire, and trenches.

Alright, I'm unsure how to respond because that post sounds a lot like you actually think that Battlefield 1 is what actual war looks/is like. Really do check out They Shall Not Grow Old, fittingly it's directed by Peter Jackson!

Sorry for the derail but...sheesh.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
His harrowing recovery from a deadly infection proves to be inspirational.

Doctor White: "I am not Doctor Gray, whom you met earlier. I am Doctor White. You have no fever now, and I release you from my charge and from the hospital. Mr. Tolkien, your staph is broken."

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017

Tolkien: I'm trying to come up with a name for a dashing Elven archer. Anyway, you were saying?

Buddy: It's Arthur. He simply hasn't been the same since he was hit by that mortar and had to get both shins amputated. He's -

Tolkien: - By jove man, I've got it!

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Biopics are consistently the worst kind of movies being made. I hate almost all of them.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Alright, I'm unsure how to respond because that post sounds a lot like you actually think that Battlefield 1 is what actual war looks/is like. Really do check out They Shall Not Grow Old, fittingly it's directed by Peter Jackson!

Sorry for the derail but...sheesh.

...2:05 and 2:15 look an awfully lot like what you're trying to describe isn't realistic. Flames, explosions, troops in the foreground. Furthermore, that's a restoration of real footage where cameramen where filming. This movie is depicting the traumatic elements witnessed by a soldier first hand through his subjective viewpoint. It's a movie about the author of some of the most grandiose fantasy written, affected by gruesome trench warfare he witnessed.