• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
The front piece artwork in high res:

FhEjeroXoAM_iIZ.jpg:orig

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
So they are making a mini helm of something they cut from the movie????

www.wetanz.com

ROHIRRIM HELM OF ARWEN™

Among the threads of story that almost made it to the screen was a version of the screenplay of The Lord of the Rings: the Two Towers in which Arwen of Rivendell fought at the battle of Helm’s Deep. Costumes were made and props built, including a helm of

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
So they are making a mini helm of something they cut from the movie????

www.wetanz.com

ROHIRRIM HELM OF ARWEN™

Among the threads of story that almost made it to the screen was a version of the screenplay of The Lord of the Rings: the Two Towers in which Arwen of Rivendell fought at the battle of Helm’s Deep. Costumes were made and props built, including a helm of
Next up, a Tom Bombadil statue.

The helm looks good though. I can see it selling out quickly.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I just learned that Tolkien changed things in The Hobbit when he knew that its the Predecessor to The Lord of the Rings and I am curious what things these were

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I just learned that Tolkien changed things in The Hobbit when he knew that its the Predecessor to The Lord of the Rings and I am curious what things these were

Most of the changes were made to the Riddles in the Dark chapter of The Hobbit, where Bilbo encounters Gollum and attains the One Ring. Originally it was just a magic ring with no larger significance to the world. Also, Gollum was willing to give to Bilbo the ring if he won their game of riddles. In the end Gollum is actually upset that he couldn't give Bilbo the ring hat he won because it was "missing". Afterwards, Gollum and Bilbo part ways amicably.

After retroactively making this "magic ring" into the One Ring while writing LOTR, the idea that Gollum would ever willingly give it up seemed wildly inconsistent and made zero sense. So he went back and rewrote portions of the chapter so Gollum was much more sinister, and simply agrees to help Bilbo out of the cave if he wins, and loses his mind when the Ring goes missing.

Last edited:

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
Primarily, the changes were the ring going from a mere magic ring, to the One Ring of Sauron and Gollum's relationship to the ring. In the first edition Gollum was far less attached to the ring and willing to give it up. The Riddles in the Dark chapter is the one with the most changes between edition.

Gandalf was introduced as a little old man, rather than an old man with a staff. Hobbits were described differently with more contemporary descriptions. Geographically, the first edition had references to real countries and locations, rather than feeling like a story set in Middle-earth. Other things, like football been mentioned further cemented this as a standalone story rather than a tale from Middle-earth.

There are many other little differences throughout that differentiate the 1937 edition to the revised second edition of 1951.

misery mired

Apr 2, 2022
neat! i knew he translated beowulf but had no clue about these. i'm almost done with all the legendarium writings (sans history of middle earth), so i'll keep this in mind for down the road. the cover art alone looks slick enough to get me interested despite knowing nothing about the content itself, hah

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So this is pretty cool. Up until now, the Hobbiton set in NZ only allowed people to see exteriors of the Hobbit holes; you weren't able to actually go inside any of them (the Bag End interior was a studio set). But next year they'll actually be creating the full interior of two Hobbit holes for tourists to visit. John Howe has been involved in designing it too!

www.hobbitontours.com

Venture Beyond The Door

Major development plans set to get underway from April 2023 will see the fit out of a fully themed Hobbit Hole interior that will become a part of the Hobbiton Movie Set tourism experience from December 2023.

The project will see the hillside of the current Bagshot Row shared by three existing Hobbit Hole facades excavated and transformed into a series of themed rooms, cosy enough for a family of Hobbits. The concept designs feature two almost identical hobbit hole interior experiences built side by side so visitors will be led through one of two entry and exit doors to allow for a more intimate experience inside the Hobbit Hole. Each interior will feature an entry hall, two bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen and dining area, an equipped pantry and a parlour complete with a crackling fireplace to provide guests with a fully immersive experience.

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
So this is pretty cool. Up until now, the Hobbiton set in NZ only allowed people to see exteriors of the Hobbit holes; you weren't able to actually go inside any of them (the Bag End interior was a studio set). But next year they'll actually be creating the full interior of two Hobbit holes for tourists to visit. John Howe has been involved in designing it too!

www.hobbitontours.com

Venture Beyond The Door

Another good reason to visit to New Zealand.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017

www.hobbitontours.com

Venture Beyond The Door

Nice. A reason to go back. I went before the Hobbit was filmed and Hobbiton was in ruins (obv not designed to be permanent at the time), and it was still cool.

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
New covers for Beren and Luthien and The Fall of Gondolin.

81UgqDJkK4L.jpg

81nH6pilzuL.jpg

blackwells.co.uk

Beren and Lúthien

Painstakingly restored from Tolkien's manuscripts and presented for the first time as a continuous and standalone story, the epic tale of Beren and Lúthien will
blackwells.co.uk

The Fall of Gondolin

In the Tale of The Fall of Gondolin are two of the greatest powers in the world. There is Morgoth of the uttermost evil, unseen in this story but ruling over a

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The changes in the Hobbit work so well thematically.

Bilbo wrote a lie about the ring in the same way smeagol lied about it being his birthday present. Justifying their possession of the ring.

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
The changes in the Hobbit work so well thematically.

Bilbo wrote a lie about the ring in the same way smeagol lied about it being his birthday present. Justifying their possession of the ring.
It's interesting how Gollum's led to his corruption and ruin, whereas with Bilbo it eventually led to the defeat of Sauron and Bilbo been afforded the privilege of travelling to the West.

The One Ring's effects are proportional to the character traits of the individual indeed.

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The newly released illustrated edition of The Hobbit looks so beautiful, definitely picking it up.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvCICLBMJkg&t=14s

We're also getting a new video game set in the Shire, "Tales From the Shire", courtesy of Weta and Private Division (creators of Kerbal Space program):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8X3psFrQd4

I love that teaser, and I'm really surious what exactly this game will be. Based on the hints in the teaser, my guess would be something like Stardew Valley, Animal Crossing, or possibly the Sims. I'm totally down for either, as a Hobbit gardening game of sorts has been a dream of mine for years XD

Weta's involvement in particular gets me really excited.

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
The newly released illustrated edition of The Hobbit looks so beautiful, definitely picking it up.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvCICLBMJkg&t=14s

We're also getting a new video game set in the Shire, "Tales From the Shire", courtesy of Weta and Private Division (creators of Kerbal Space program):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8X3psFrQd4

I love that teaser, and I'm really surious what exactly this game will be. Based on the hints in the teaser, my guess would be something like Stardew Valley, Animal Crossing, or possibly the Sims. I'm totally down for either, as a Hobbit gardening game of sorts has been a dream of mine for years XD

Weta's involvement in particular gets me really excited.

That is a beautiful edition of The Hobbit indeed.

Looks like the gardeners and farmers of Tolkien's legendarium will finally get their day in the sun. Certainly looks like a relaxing game that you can escape into and forget the worries of the world.

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
815zzs8PxqL._SL1500_.jpg

First in a series of hardback boxed sets celebrating the literary achievement of Christopher Tolkien, featuring double-sided dustjackets. Set 1 contains special editions of THE SILMARILLION and UNFINISHED TALES reproducing the first edition text, together with the two volumes of THE BOOK OF LOST TALES.

The Silmarillion
is an account of the Elder Days, of the First Age of Tolkien's World. It is the ancient drama to which the characters in The Lord of the Rings look back, and in whose events some of them, such as Elrond and Galadriel, took part. The tales of The Silmarillion are set in an age when Morgoth, the first Dark Lord, dwelt in Middle-Earth, and the High Elves made war upon him for the recovery of the Silmarils, the jewels containing the pure light of Valinor.

Unfinished Tales is a collection of narratives ranging in time from the Elder Days of Middle-earth and the rise of Númenor in the Second Age to the end of the War of the Ring, and provides those who have read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings with a whole collection of background and new stories from the twentieth century's most acclaimed popular author.

The Book of Lost Tales stands at the beginning of the entire conception of Middle-earth and Valinor for the Tales were the first form of the myths and legends that came to be called The Silmarillion. Embedded in English legend and English association, they are set in the narrative frame of a great westward voyage over the Ocean by a mariner named Eriol to the lonely Isle where the Elves dwelt; from them he learned their true history, the Lost Tales of Elfinesse.

In the two volumes of the Tales are found the earliest accounts of Gods and Elves, Dwarves, Balrogs and Orcs; of the Silmarils and the Two Trees of Valinor; of the geography and cosmology of Tolkien's invented world.

Published together for the first time, these four books collect the beginning of Christopher Tolkien's forty-year career devoted to presenting his father J.R.R. Tolkien's writings on Middle-earth, a unique accomplishment that celebrates the greatest invented world in all of fantasy literature.

What to expect from the other boxsets:

Boxed set #2:

Release Date UK : TBC (HarperCollins)
Release Date US : TBC (William Morrow)
ISBN TBC

Contents:

The Lays of Beleriand
The Shaping of Middle-earth
The Lost Road and Other Writings

Boxed set #3:

ISBN TBC

Contents:

The Return of the Shadow
The Treason of Isengard
The War of the Ring
Sauron Defeated

Boxed set #4:

ISBN TBC

Contents:

Morgoth's Ring
The War of the Jewels
The Peoples of Middle-earth
Index

Pretty cool.

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
The Book of Lost Tales Parts I and II get new covers:

x500_69e01502-1f6f-42fc-bbaf-9a30ce3f7f60.jpg
x500_f0cb69c7-2bde-4e7b-8413-67d23962e33b.jpg

harpercollins.co.uk

The Book of Lost Tales 1 (The History of Middle-earth, Book 1)

The first of a two-book set that contains the early myths and legends which led to the writing of Tolkien’s epic tale of war, The Silmarillion. The Book of Lost Tales stands at the beginning of the entire conception of Middle-earth and Valinor for the Tales were the first form of the myths and lege
harpercollins.co.uk

The Book of Lost Tales 2 (The History of Middle-earth, Book 2)

The second of a two-book set that contains the early myths and legends which led to the writing of Tolkien’s epic tale of war, The Silmarillion. This second part of The Book of Lost Tales includes the tale of Beren and Lúthien, Túrin and the Dragon, and the only full narratives of the Necklace of t