• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Well now.. this is quite the package.

Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth (Collector's Edition)

web_pages_for_collector_s_edition_print2_by_edmonddantes9285-dcckerq.jpg

web_pages_for_collector_s_edition_print1_by_edmonddantes9285-dcckerw.jpg

web_pages_for_collector_s_edition_print3_by_edmonddantes9285-dcckerk.jpg

web_pages_for_collector_s_edition_print4_by_edmonddantes9285-dcckerd.jpg

web_pages_for_collector_s_edition_print5_by_edmonddantes9285-dccker3.jpg

https://www.bodleianshop.co.uk/collectors-edition.html

Price: £295
Delivery: UK: £20 EU: £35 Rest of the world: £40
tenor.gif

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Okay they're just trying to make me go broke at this point.

God help me when all of the merchandise for the Amazon show is released.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Okay they're just trying to make me go broke at this point.

God help me when all of the merchandise for the Amazon show is released.
I haven't really considered that, but yes, the merchandising for the show will be something to behold and with the Estate and HarperCollins involved, well, one can imagine lots of tie-in books.

This seems to be the place for this, so...

I got this a bit ago to reward myself for making a human:

aRBHnNr.jpg

Tonight's the first chance I've had to crack it open, but just having it makes me feel warm inside. I'm a massive Tolkien fan, and I enjoy boring people with Middle Earth tidbits whenever the movies are playing. I imagine this will give me even more ammo.

I think I need that Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth Collector's Edition too now...

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017

aRBHnNr.jpg

Tonight's the first chance I've had to crack it open, but just having it makes me feel warm inside. I'm a massive Tolkien fan, and I enjoy boring people with Middle Earth tidbits whenever the movies are playing. I imagine this will give me even more ammo.

I think I need that Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth Collector's Edition too now...
This is the perfect place to do so and congratulations on becoming a parent.

Dipping in and out of the proto-mythos in the Histories and getting an idea of Tolkien's thought process is always a joy.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Dantès said something nice the last time I made a big lore post so I'm back to inflict something even worse (5700 words including notes) on anyone foolish enough to click.

Who is a Númenórean?

(It's mostly about the political implications of that question and the issue of narrative bias. Thrilling, I know, but Queen Berúthiel and the Blue Wizards make guest appearances, for what that's worth.)

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Dantès said something nice the last time I made a big lore post so I'm back to inflict something even worse (5700 words including notes) on anyone foolish enough to click.

Who is a Númenórean?

(It's mostly about the political implications of that question and the issue of narrative bias. Thrilling, I know, but Queen Berúthiel and the Blue Wizards make guest appearances, for what that's worth.)
This is a wonderful piece of work Jacob. Well written, thoroughly researched and elucidating on some very important, but often overlooked aspects of the mythos.

If you find yourself in the UK at some point in the future, do consider submitting and presenting your work at a Tolkien Society Oxonmoot.

I'll certainly be keeping an eye on your tumblr, as should everyone in this community.

https://nolondil.tumblr.com/

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

aRBHnNr.jpg

That is one gorgeous set.

The Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth exhibition opens tomorrow. I've put up a thread with some info:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/how-j-r-r-tolkien-created-middle-earth.45929/

Man I wish I could attend these sorts of events. Seeing Tolkien's art in-person is on my bucket-list.

Who is a Númenórean?

I'm about half-way through this and it's great stuff as usual Jacob. The politics and social aspects of Middle-earth are probably some of the more under-appreciated facets of the world.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Thank you so much, guys; that really means a lot to hear. My involvement with Tolkien fandom over the years has primarily been through message boards but attending Oxonmoot would, I'm sure, be a really cool experience. Hopefully I'll make it to England one day, at least; there are a bunch of Tolkien sites I would love to get to visit in person.

I was a political science major as an undergraduate and the internal history of the Secondary World has always been one of my main research interests within Tolkien studies, so it's always fun to blend the two. Plus it's nice to be able to shine a little more light on a neglected area of the field. :)

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Some info about the project from an interview with Jennifer Salke

Salke inherited a number of projects in the works, none bigger than a forthcoming series adaptation of J. R. R. Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings," the subject of a massive deal last year that Bezos involved himself personally in. According to Salke, that deal only officially closed last month. But Amazon has been meeting with writers. Salke herself spent three hours with Tolkien's grandson Simon Tolkien, and the next step is for representatives of the Tolkien estate to meet with writers.

"It's a partnership," she said of Amazon's deal with the estate. "They have some lines in the play on this on strategy and on vision. The great news about that is that they're actually really thoughtful and smart, as you would expect."

The Tolkien deal covers most, but not all of the material connected to the author's Middle Earth saga. Salke said that it is still too early to say what shape, exactly, the series will take. But, she added, "It's not a remaking of the movies, and it's not a whole new thing. It's something in between. It's not, 'Oh, it's "Lord of the Rings" but you don't recognize anything in it,' but it's not totally familiar to you either. So it's original."

I think we might be in New Zealand. I don't know, but we're going to have to go somewhere interesting that could provide those locations in a really authentic way, because we want it to look incredible. There's no shortage of ambition for the project. We'll go where we need to go to make it happen.

The Peter Jackson conversations, right now we're right in the middle of them. It's like, how much do you want to be involved, how little? I know there's been some discussion, and he's even said some things, but as far as I'm aware, the latest is that we're just in a conversation with him about how much or how little he would be involved.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/jennifer-salke-lord-of-the-rings-amazon-1202840237/

https://deadline.com/2018/06/amazon...ings-series-transparent-future-qa-1202407283/

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I was asked by someone I know IRL (not a Tolkien reader) to draw a chart explaining the relationships between the various Edainic peoples referred to in my essay so I took a stab at it and thought I'd share the result here. Apologies for my terrible handwriting.

4dnxDUR.png

A few notes:
- The "indigenous Eriadorians" were most likely a mix of proto-Beorians and proto-Marachians but to the best of my memory they were of primarily Beorian descent.
- The Men of Bree should probably be listed on the same level as the Dunlendings rather than as a descendant people but by that point I was running out of space to write in.
- The Drúedain are not listed but they lived alongside the Folk of Haleth in Beleriand and later in Númenor, in addition to populations that never left the regions of Middle-earth that later became Gondor and Rohan.
- The mixed "Umbarian aristocracy" label is somewhat speculative but I outlined most of my reasoning for this in the above-linked essay.

Major sources for this include The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and the chapter "Of Dwarves and Men" from The Peoples of Middle-earth.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I was asked by someone I know IRL (not a Tolkien reader) to draw a chart explaining the relationships between the various Edainic peoples referred to in my essay so I took a stab at it and thought I'd share the result here. Apologies for my terrible handwriting.

4dnxDUR.png

A few notes:
- The "indigenous Eriadorians" were most likely a mix of proto-Beorians and proto-Marachians but to the best of my memory they were of primarily Beorian descent.
- The Men of Bree should probably be listed on the same level as the Dunlendings rather than as a descendant people but by that point I was running out of space to write in.
- The Drúedain are not listed but they lived alongside the Folk of Haleth in Beleriand and later in Númenor, in addition to populations that never left the regions of Middle-earth that later became Gondor and Rohan.
- The mixed "Umbarian aristocracy" label is somewhat speculative but I outlined most of my reasoning for this in the above-linked essay.

Major sources for this include The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and the chapter "Of Dwarves and Men" from The Peoples of Middle-earth.
The depth of Tolkien's mythos never ceases to amaze me. That Tolkien fans/scholars are able to speculate about and create such genealogies is just wonderful. Well done my friend.

Plus, your writing is perfect fine, certainly not 'doctor's handwriting'.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Found a product listing for an upcoming Three Great Tales boxset that suggests The Fall of Gondolin will be Christopher Tolkien's actual final work.

Just in time for holiday gift-giving, The Great Tales of Middle-earth is a beautiful boxed set of the final novels of Middle-earth: Children of Húrin, Beren and Lúthien, and The Fall of Gondolin, packaged together for the first time. Completing Christopher Tolkien's lifelong achievement as the editor and curator of his father J.R.R. Tolkien's manuscripts, The Great Tales features handsome color plates and maps by famed illustrator Alan Lee.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 26, 2017

Who is a Númenórean?

That was an interesting read even for someone just mildly involved in the deeper lore.

I'm coming at this material from the perspective of someone who grew up with the MERP rulebooks, so it's a little bewildering to separate the actual canon lore with the stuff that Iron Crown came up with. They did their homework obviously, but that was built on studies available in the early 80's. The Kin-strife was covered as campaign materials, for example.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
That was an interesting read even for someone just mildly involved in the deeper lore.

I'm coming at this material from the perspective of someone who grew up with the MERP rulebooks, so it's a little bewildering to separate the actual canon lore with the stuff that Iron Crown came up with. They did their homework obviously, but that was built on studies available in the early 80's. The Kin-strife was covered as campaign materials, for example.

Thanks man. :) The Tolkien role-playing and fanfiction communities both have a lot of people doing really good book-based research and writing and there are some subfields that I think they've covered better than academic Tolkien studies has (though there's some overlap between all these groups). One does have to be careful at times to distinguish between material gleaned from the books and stuff that was invented for the purposes of games or fic, but when it comes to "meta" essays, at least, I think that authors are generally pretty conscientious about making such distinctions clear.

The publication of The History of Middle-earth, especially its last few volumes, definitely up-ended a lot of old debates though, yeah. I know some people who still get touchy about the identity of Glorfindel and the texts on that topic found in The Peoples of Middle-earth, but as someone who was two years old when that book was published I never had the opportunity to really engage in that debate. :P

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks man. :) The Tolkien role-playing and fanfiction communities both have a lot of people doing really good book-based research and writing and there are some subfields that I think they've covered better than academic Tolkien studies has (though there's some overlap between all these groups). One does have to be careful at times to distinguish between material gleaned from the books and stuff that was invented for the purposes of games or fic, but when it comes to "meta" essays, at least, I think that authors are generally pretty conscientious about making such distinctions clear.

The publication of The History of Middle-earth, especially its last few volumes, definitely up-ended a lot of old debates though, yeah. I know some people who still get touchy about the identity of Glorfindel and the texts on that topic found in The Peoples of Middle-earth, but as someone who was two years old when that book was published I never had the opportunity to really engage in that debate. :P

I also found it interesting that you mentioned the letter where Tolkien stated that there was some resentment towards the Numenoreans that weren't just down to "black people are evil" like people tend to complain about with Tolkien. For all the "ubermensch" qualities of the Numenoreans, they did pretty much subjugate the "lesser" peoples for hundreds or thousands of years. Someone who lives twice as long is obviously more likely to be wise and strong, but also more likely to be arrogant about it. Even if Sauron obviously pushed them, the West kind of had it coming.

Man, I'd love to see some actual fourth age lore, if Aragorn actually succeeded in bringing peace. I guess I'll list that along "anything far east of Rhun" as things that will never be officially fleshed out.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Some third-hand info about the Amazon project.

Credit to White Hand on the WETA collector site and via MoreMorgoth on The OneRing.Net forum:

"I spoke in depth with Richard Taylor today at SDCC. He said that there has been absolutely zero contact from Amazon regarding the Tv series and he does not know what is happening with it any more than we do."

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Some third-hand info about the Amazon project.

Credit to White Hand on the WETA collector site and via MoreMorgoth on The OneRing.Net forum:

"I spoke in depth with Richard Taylor today at SDCC. He said that there has been absolutely zero contact from Amazon regarding the Tv series and he does not know what is happening with it any more than we do."

Well that's a bummer if true, I guess those rumors about Weta digging out old props and sets from their storage weren't legit.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Well that's a bummer if true, I guess those rumors about Weta digging out old props and sets from their storage weren't legit.
It could mean that the project just isn't very far into production yet. Collaborating with WETA certainly makes the most sense, unless Amazon have other ideas and want to go in a different direction in terms of aesthetics/design.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Old news, but certainly worth sharing. Esteemed Tolkien scholar has authored a book on Vikings.

Laughing Shall I Die: Lives and Deaths of the Great Vikings

In this robust new account of the Vikings, Tom Shippey explores their mindset, and in particular their fascination with scenes of heroic death. Laughing Shall I Die considers Viking psychology by weighing the evidence of the sagas against the accounts of the Vikings' victims. The book recounts many of the great bravura scenes of Old Norse literature, including the Fall of the House of the Skjoldungs, the clash between the two great longships Ironbeard and Long Serpent, and the death of Thormod the skald.

The most exciting book on Vikings for a generation, Laughing Shall I Die presents them for what they were: not peaceful explorers and traders, but bloodthirsty warriors and marauders.
https://www.amazon.com/Laughing-Shall-Die-Deaths-Vikings/dp/1780239092i

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
They had done well, undoubtedly; the TV people practically high-fived when they finally came to Gandalf's arrival by ship at the end of season five or six, and these are people who pride themselves on their poker face.

TrjiXut.gif

I've seen a lot of people claim to have connections with Tolkien movie/TV productions over the years and while I obviously can't know for sure, this is one of the less believable stories to me. We know Amazon's made a five season commitment; the idea that their executives were literally unable to contain their glee at a proposal in which one of the most recognizable characters in the franchise doesn't appear until possibly six seasons in is ... highly questionable, IMO.

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
TrjiXut.gif

I've seen a lot of people claim to have connections with Tolkien movie/TV productions over the years and while I obviously can't know for sure, this is one of the less believable stories to me. We know Amazon's made a five season commitment; the idea that their executives were literally unable to contain their glee at a proposal in which one of the most recognizable characters in the franchise doesn't appear until possibly six seasons in is ... highly questionable, IMO.

Yyyyyyeah, that description seems really suspect.

Empire is teasing something

Get the hype train started!

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Looks like it's a retrospective on the two Jackson trilogies.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/201...sics-return-to-middle-earth-magazine-special/

TOR.n received an exclusive announcement today from Empire -the worlds biggest movie magazine- that they will be publishing a special edition on The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies, due out next week! Per Empire: "It's a comprehensive look at all six films using both our archive on-set material and new features. It also features some of the reunions we've made happen over the years".

This will be a print-only edition, and not available online.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
George R.R. Martin on the Lord of the Rings.

A little excerpt:

"And then Gandalf dies! I can't explain the impact that had on me at 13. You can't kill Gandalf. I mean, Conan didn't die in the Conan books, you know? Tolkien just broke that rule, and I'll love him forever for it. Because the minute you kill Gandalf, the suspense of everything that follows is a thousand times greater, because now anybody could die. Of course, that's had a profound effect on my own willingness to kill characters at the drop of a hat."

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
An Amazon LOTR project rumour concerning a return to New Zealand:

https://thegww.com/amazons-lord-of-the-rings-series-is-expected-to-return-to-new-zealand

Certainly makes sense to return to New Zealand.

Yep, definitely makes sense. Thanks to Jackson, the NZ film industry has experience in working on large-scale projects, plus there's just the fact that New Zealand's incredibly varied landscape has become synonymous with Middle-earth.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
How The Fall of Gondolin came together

"I think working on these books gives [Christopher] a new lease on life," says illustrator Alan Lee, who has been working on new Tolkien books and Peter Jackson's film adaptations alike for decades now. "He threw himself straight into Fall of Gondolin. We didn't actually know about it until this time last year there was a potential other one. I'm sure he'll be happy to have those books in his hand. This particular journey is completed."

https://ew.com/books/2018/08/27/fall-of-gondolin-jrr-tolkien

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
How The Fall of Gondolin came together

"I think working on these books gives [Christopher] a new lease on life," says illustrator Alan Lee, who has been working on new Tolkien books and Peter Jackson's film adaptations alike for decades now. "He threw himself straight into Fall of Gondolin. We didn't actually know about it until this time last year there was a potential other one. I'm sure he'll be happy to have those books in his hand. This particular journey is completed."

https://ew.com/books/2018/08/27/fall-of-gondolin-jrr-tolkien

Do we know if The Fall of Gondolin is the last of Christopher's editing/commentaries on his father's works? Given that he's 93 years old I can't imagine he's got much left in him.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if The Fall of Gondolin is the last of Christopher's editing/commentaries on his father's works? Given that he's 93 years old I can't imagine he's got much left in him.
After his comments in Beren and Luthien, I was ready to accept that it was the end, but the manner in which he tackled The Fall of Gondolin gives me some hope that there might be more to come.