• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot to make a post about this, but last November I visited Cape Town, South Africa for my sister's wedding (she's been living there for a few years). While I was there I was determined to find a copy of LOTR translated into Afrikaans, though I had no idea if a translation actually existed. It took some searching through multiple bookstores, but luckily I finally did!

CYX3fil.jpg

That's Fellowship and The Two Towers, according to the manager at the shop where I found TTT, The Return of the King is still in the process of being translated. Apparently there is an Afrikaans translation of The Hobbit, but none of the shops had it unfortunately. Oh well, I'm considering this a win :)

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I completely forgot to make a post about this, but last November I visited Cape Town, South Africa for my sister's wedding (she's been living there for a few years). While I was there I was determined to find a copy of LOTR translated into Afrikaans, though I had no idea if a translation actually existed. It took some searching through multiple bookstores, but luckily I finally did!

CYX3fil.jpg

That's Fellowship and The Two Towers, according to the manager at the shop where I found TTT, The Return of the King is still in the process of being translated. Apparently there is an Afrikaans translation of The Hobbit, but none of the shops had it unfortunately. Oh well, I'm considering this a win :)
That's a lovely find. I can image the poems been the most difficult to translate to Afrikaans.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I can see an illustrated version of Unfinished Tales coming out in October as well - wonder if it will be in series with these...

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
(I decided to change my avatar again, missed having Robin Hood. But it's from a painting and not related to Errol Flynn, so I feel better about it)

I'm really curious of this COVID-19 nightmare will affect the production of Amazon's LOTR show.

Looks like a nice little package:

x298.jpg

The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings Boxed Set by J. R. R. Tolkien - | HarperCollins

Boxed gift set of Tolkien’s classic masterpieces, fully illustrated throughout in watercolour by the acclaimed and award-winning artist, Alan Lee, Conceptu...

What a beautiful set. Hopefully it'll come to the US.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
(I decided to change my avatar again, missed having Robin Hood. But it's from a painting and not related to Errol Flynn, so I feel better about it)

I'm really curious of this COVID-19 nightmare will affect the production of Amazon's LOTR show.

What a beautiful set. Hopefully it'll come to the US.
Production has been shut down for the forseeable future. It's the right decision considering the situation around the world.

www.nzherald.co.nz

Coronavirus: Amazon's Lord of the Rings production shut down

Covid-19 outbreak hits the $1b shoot, which involves about 800 cast and crew.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Really is lovely artwork.

Speaking of Maedhros, here's Nazanin Boniadi doing some homework for the LOTR TV show.

wvifjj2556r41_by_edmonddantes9285_dduciez-pre.jpg

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
After over a year of buying them one-by-one, because these suckers are $30 a piece, my Epic Mini-Fig vinyl figure collection of the Fellowship is now complete :D

uAeVzCo.jpg

The quality of the sculpt work on the faces depends on the figure. The newer releases - Bilbo, Merry and Pippin - look awesome. Especially Compared to Frodo, who was one of the first figures they released in the line. He looks like a haunted animatronic from the It's a Small World ride at Disneyland. I'm kinda hoping they update his sculpt at some point to match the quality of the other hobbits. Sam also kinda suffers from a case of dead-eyes.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
After over a year of buying them one-by-one, because these suckers are $30 a piece, my Epic Mini-Fig vinyl figure collection of the Fellowship is now complete :D

uAeVzCo.jpg

The quality of the sculpt work on the faces depends on the figure. The newer releases - Bilbo, Merry and Pippin - look awesome. Especially Compared to Frodo, who was one of the first figures they released in the line. He looks like a haunted animatronic from the It's a Small World ride at Disneyland. I'm kinda hoping they update his sculpt at some point to match the quality of the other hobbits. Sam also kinda suffers from a case of dead-eyes.
Nine companions. So be it. You shall be the fellowship of the ring... plus a suave and scary looking Bilbo.

That's a lovely looking collection Loxley. Next up, the villains. :)

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Those illustrations certainly are...something o.O It's kinda nuts just how many different interpretations there are of Tolkien's characters.

Nine companions. So be it. You shall be the fellowship of the ring... plus a suave and scary looking Bilbo.

That's a lovely looking collection Loxley. Next up, the villains. :)

Ha, yep. The Witch King, Gollum, Balrog, and Saruman are next on my list.

On a side note, good grief, I swear I learn something new and interesting about these movies every year:

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I've been spending a good amount of corona quarantine time in Middle Earth. I was recently given a lifetime VIP subscription account to the now 13 year old Lord of the Rings Online game and I've been making good use of it. The geography is obviously quite truncated for usability, but it's still pretty cool coming across all sorts of familiar landmarks. Weathertop towers over the zone it's in, Rivendell is pretty stunning, and I even found myself doing a sort of "visions of the past" type dungeon in Goblin Town and found Gollum's underground lake island.

One of the favorite things I've found so far is this painting on the wall not far from Gollum's island:

unknown.png

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I've been spending a good amount of corona quarantine time in Middle Earth. I was recently given a lifetime VIP subscription account to the now 13 year old Lord of the Rings Online game and I've been making good use of it. The geography is obviously quite truncated for usability, but it's still pretty cool coming across all sorts of familiar landmarks. Weathertop towers over the zone it's in, Rivendell is pretty stunning, and I even found myself doing a sort of "visions of the past" type dungeon in Goblin Town and found Gollum's underground lake island.

One of the favorite things I've found so far is this painting on the wall not far from Gollum's island:

unknown.png
Gollum as the Dark Lord, nice.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
medium.com

Where are all the idyllic Lord of the Rings games?

How game designers are missing the point with all these grimdark Lord of the Rings adaptations

Very good article from our own, aidan

Give me a farming and friendship sim set in The Shire. Give me a 4X game where I get to trade iron with the dwarves in the Blue Mountains and cotton with the traders of Dol Amroth. Give me a walking sim set in Lorien. Give me a Tapper clone where I get to sling beer at The Prancing Pony (avoiding Bill Ferny, of course.) Give me a rhythm game set during a Rivendell poetry jam session. Give me a point-and-click adventure game where I have to utilize the unique abilities of 13 dwarves and a hobbit with a magic ring to escape the Elven dungeons in Mirkwood.

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
How about one of those lawyer games set in the shire. Let me dive into hobbit legal statutes

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Andy Serkis is doing a live read-through of The Hobbit for charity today:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, this whole quarantine thing has me just kinda farting around one of my old external hard drives and I found some of the banners I created back in 2014 for our (ultimately abandoned) Silmarillion read-through.

Dfrtnql.jpg

qaYgR5h.jpg

kctHfXA.jpg

FYtpouJ.jpg

2TgkLJt.jpg

z7HQ4GD.jpg

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Josh Gad hosted a Zoom LOTR cast reunion and will be posting it his YouTube channel this Sunday!

Dom Monaghan posted a screenshot with the whole crew:

BcCRNXL.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
New book by John Garth:

9780691196947.jpg

This book takes you to the places that inspired J. R. R. Tolkien to create his fictional locations in The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and other classic works. Written by renowned Tolkien expert John Garth, The Worlds of J. R. R. Tolkien features a wealth of breathtaking illustrations, including Tolkien's own drawings, contributions from other artists, rare archival images, and spectacular color photos of contemporary locations across Britain and beyond, from the battlefields of World War I to Africa.

Garth identifies the locales that served as the basis for Hobbiton, the elven valley of Rivendell, the Glittering Caves of Helm's Deep, and many other settings in Middle-earth, from mountains and forests to rivers, lakes, and shorelands. He reveals the rich interplay between Tolkien's personal travels, his wide reading, and his deep scholarship as an Oxford don. Garth draws on his profound knowledge of Tolkien's life and work to shed light on the extraordinary processes of invention behind Tolkien's works of fantasy. He also debunks popular misconceptions about the inspirations for Middle-earth and puts forward strong new claims of his own.

An illustrated journey into the life and imagination of one of the world's best-loved authors, The Worlds of J. R. R. Tolkien provides a unique exploration of the relationship between the real and the fantastical and is an essential companion for anyone who wants to follow in Tolkien's footsteps.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I haven't read this yet myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about it from friends and acquaintances who have. John Garth tends to have really accessible prose for someone working at such a high level of Tolkien studies, so hopefully this will be successful. :)

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Oh shit.

For those who don't know, Carl Hostetter has for decades been involved in the editing and publication (through the periodicals Vinyar Tengwar and Parma Eldalamberon) of Tolkien material that didn't make it into the History of Middle-earth series. Most of this material is primarily about Tolkien's languages, but as with various texts found in HoMe, it frequently shades over into the history, philosophy, etc of Arda.

Apparently this page was accidentally leaked on Houghton Mifflin's website, though it's since been taken down and it doesn't like anyone saved it in the Wayback Machine or Archive.today. Thanks for posting the screencap, Edmond Dantès!

This is pretty huge, especially for me as a Númenor fan. :) Now to settle down for the ten month wait...

ETA: Looking through the same catalogue posted in the TCG comments, there's apparently also going to be an illustrated edition of Unfinished Tales to mark the book's 40th anniversary this October, featuring illustrations by Alan Lee, John Howe, and Ted Nasmith.

Last edited:

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
hey all, a while back maybe early on this thread (though i went through the first 3 pages) or on the old forum Edmond Dantès or someone else linked to someones artwork that was like paintings of Lord of the Rings locations. Does anyone remember this? If so can you link me to their work.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
hey all, a while back maybe early on this thread (though i went through the first 3 pages) or on the old forum Edmond Dantès or someone else linked to someones artwork that was like paintings of Lord of the Rings locations. Does anyone remember this? If so can you link me to their work.
Was it this?

www.resetera.com

TolkienERA |OT| Renewed shall be the blade that was broken

Some Tolkien art by Raffaela C (AronjaArt) which is available to buy as prints. https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/AronjaArt?ref=shop_sugg

If so, she still sells her art on Esty.

www.etsy.com

AronjaArtShop - Etsy UK

Shop Fantasy / Landscape Paintings and Prints by AronjaArtShop located in Salzburg, Austria. Rave reviews! Average review rating is 4.8 or higher

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Was it this?

www.resetera.com

TolkienERA |OT| Renewed shall be the blade that was broken

Some Tolkien art by Raffaela C (AronjaArt) which is available to buy as prints. https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/AronjaArt?ref=shop_sugg

If so, she still sells her art on Esty.

www.etsy.com

AronjaArtShop - Etsy UK

Shop Fantasy / Landscape Paintings and Prints by AronjaArtShop located in Salzburg, Austria. Rave reviews! Average review rating is 4.8 or higher
yes! you're the man.

we're building out our home theater and need sound treatments and i mentioned to my wife we could get some of these printed and put sound proofing behind them and she loved that idea.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
yes! you're the man.

we're building out our home theater and need sound treatments and i mentioned to my wife we could get some of these printed and put sound proofing behind them and she loved that idea.
You're welcome. The art's gorgeous. I'm sure your home theater set-up is going to be amazing when finished and a perfect way to watch the 4K edition of the trilogy whenever it comes out.