• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Dantes is back! All is well.

As for Shadow of Mordor, it's definitely a worst case scenario. Even overlooking WB:s horrible business practices, I don't see the appeal of random eloquent Cockney orcs and the overall grimdark wraith bullshit going on. If they're just going to do fanfic stories, why not create a setting where other peoples can be recruited and the orcs are just enemies?

It's like someone watched the TTT scenes with the uruk-hai and said "I want a game franchise with just that".

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The worst case scenario going forward film-wise is a tie-in with the Monolith videogames and expanding Middle-earth I'm that direction.

I agree, the Middle-earth games - while fun to play - are just so out there story-wise and feature so much ridiculous fan-fiction that to turn those into films would sully the reputation of Tolkien adaptions even more than the Hobbit films did. They've got some decent blue-prints to work from in the appendices, so hopefully if/when they start making new films they'll just stick to the text as much as they can.

Oh! I mentioned this on GAF when it was first announced earlier this year, but this month Weta will be releasing Middle-earth from Script to Screen: Building the World of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit:

IEA92YK.jpg

sGKrL6s.jpg

For the first time ever, the epic, in-depth story of the creation of one of the most famous fantasy worlds ever imagined--an illustrious compendium that reveals the breathtaking craftsmanship, artistry, and technology behind the magical Middle-earth of the blockbuster film franchises, The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy and The Hobbit Trilogy, directed by Peter Jackson.

They said it couldn't be done, but in an effort spanning a decade and undertaken in a distant corner of the world, a team of artists and creative visionaries laboured to bring the unfilmable to the silver screen. Under the direction of Sir Peter Jackson, their extraordinary efforts to adapt J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit generated almost 24 hours of cinematic wonder, and transported audiences to a world of astonishing beauty and power.

Richly illustrated with thousands of film frames, concept art and behind-the-scenes imagery, many previously unseen, Middle-earth: From Script to Screen follows in the footsteps of the Fellowship of the Ring and the Company of Thorin Oakenshield, visiting the realms and landscapes of Middle-earth and uncovering their secrets. Accompanying this stunning gallery, cast and crew reflect upon their experiences, share brand-new stories and insights into how the wildernesses and soundstages of New Zealand were transformed into a magical world of hobbits, Dwarves and Elves, resulting in one of the most spectacular achievements in cinematic history.

With foreword by Sir Peter Jackson and additional writing by K.M. Rice; illustrated with final film imagery, behind-the-scenes pictures and conceptual artwork, including places not seen in the final films, this monumental compilation offers unique and far-reaching insights into the creation of the world we know and love as Middle-earth.

Really looking forward to this - especially since Alan Lee created some original artwork for it.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
Have to sub to this thread for the eventual time I actually can finish The Silmarillion.

Great to see Dantes back. Even as a lurker I loved reading your posts.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see this thread and returning faces.

Personally I kind of hope they leave well enough alone on the film front, until the inevitable desire for remakes boils over in a couple of decades. I'm actually fine with video games being explicitly non-canon adventures in Tolkien's world though. Going off the deep end with sexy shelob and whatever is a mess, but it's much easier to discard and ignore those kinds of narrative missteps in a medium where narrative itself isn't the primary concern.

Amroth

Oct 27, 2017
Oh! I mentioned this on GAF when it was first announced earlier this year, but this month Weta will be releasing Middle-earth from Script to Screen: Building the World of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit:

Thanks for posting about this. I saw this the last time you posted about it, but I'd forgotten all about it. It's going on my wishlist for Christmas (though I really want the one from the Weta shop with the Hobbiton replica signs, now that I think about it).

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to get some high-end collectible at some point, but I don't know exactly what. My friend who worked at Weta bought me a nice art print of the arrival to Edoras and I probably would prefer something related to Rohan.

Namiks

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seen it mentioned already, but thinking about it, a television show based Tolkien's works could be amazing.

It's a shame we ended up with The Hobbit films instead of a show with a lot of effort put into its lore and (non-CG) aesthetics.

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seen it mentioned already, but thinking about it, a television show based Tolkien's works could be amazing.

It's a shame we ended up with The Hobbit films instead of a show with a lot of effort put into its lore and (non-CG) aesthetics.

A TV miniseries based on The Tale of Beren and Lúthien or The Children of Húrin could definitely work, I think. They'd be expensive as hell to produce, but it would only be for one series. Of course, whomever wants to make it would have to try and convince the Tolkien estate to go for it first, which would probably be quite a challenge.

Ainaurdur

Oct 25, 2017
A young Aragorn film or maybe a film about the Battle of Fornost could both be possible.

Yes, I could see WB execs eyeing The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen, using it as a basis for the young Aragorn film and expanding upon various things, especially Aragorn's time as Thorongil.

A TV miniseries based on The Tale of Beren and Lúthien or The Children of Húrin could definitely work, I think. They'd be expensive as hell to produce, but it would only be for one series. Of course, whomever wants to make it would have to try and convince the Tolkien estate to go for it first, which would probably be quite a challenge.

What if a TV series based on a younger Aragorn, and other Rangers of the North, include elements scattered across Middle Earth that the movies thus far had neglected to include, wood woses, barrow wights, appearances by characters like Elrond, Arwen, Glorfindel, Galadriel, Gandalf, King Thengel, Bill Ferny, Barliman Butterbur, Tom Bombadil, Goldberry... of course some would depend on how large the span of time covered by the show.
Yes, some things would have to be filled in and created to flesh it out, and that brings great risk as we saw with parts of The Hobbit trilogy that not all of us appreciated as much as the canon elements. I certainly wouldn't want it going quite as far as the Shadow of Mordor/War games have in the fanfic direction. But I think it could be nice if done carefully and built out well.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
What if a TV series based on a younger Aragorn, and other Rangers of the North, include elements scattered across Middle Earth that the movies thus far had neglected to include, wood woses, barrow wights, appearances by characters like Elrond, Arwen, Glorfindel, Galadriel, Gandalf, King Thengel, Bill Ferny, Barliman Butterbur, Tom Bombadil, Goldberry... of course some would depend on how large the span of time covered by the show.
Yes, some things would have to be filled in and created to flesh it out, and that brings great risk as we saw with parts of The Hobbit trilogy that not all of us appreciated as much as the canon elements. I certainly wouldn't want it going quite as far as the Shadow of Mordor/War games have in the fanfic direction. But I think it could be nice if done carefully and built out well.
A good idea and it could work quite well with a talented scriptwriter and showrunner at the helm. Budgetary constraints may be the biggest issue with such an attempt, although Game of Thrones and The Last Kingdom have shown that this may not be such an issue as it has been in the past.

Another recent Tolkien book release is The Middle-earth Treasury:

"Deluxe boxed gift set of pocket edition hardbacks featuring J.R.R. Tolkien's most popular works, which together tell the tale of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins and of the War of the Ring.
When they were first published, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings became instant classics. Treasured by readers young and old, these works of sweeping fantasy, steeped in unrivalled magic and otherworldliness have sold more than 150 million copies around the world.

This new boxed set, published to mark the 80th anniversary of the publication of The Hobbit, offers readers a new opportunity to discover Tolkien's remarkable world of Middle-earth and to follow the complete story of Bilbo Baggins and the Hobbits' part in the epic quest for the Ring beginning with Bilbo's fateful visit from Gandalf and culminating in the dramatic climax between Frodo and Gollum atop Mount Doom and Bilbo's departure to the Grey Havens."

http://www.harpercollins.ca/9780008...treasury-the-hobbit-and-the-lord-of-the-rings

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I need another version of these books anymore. Unless they some day make a huge book with all four parts bound in red leather...

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I need another version of these books anymore. Unless they some day make a huge book with all four parts bound in red leather...
A Red Book of Westmarch edition would be most welcome. Something akin to this: http://www.indyprops.com/pp-rb.htm, with the full text of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit included.
Be honest...you were trapped in the Château d'If werent you?
The following quote from The Count is rather pertinent to where I was and how I was feeling:

"He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness. We must have felt what it is to die, Morrel, that we may appreciate the enjoyments of living."

But like I said earlier, much better now.

Oct 27, 2017

I've got zero interest in more LOTR live action.

Honestly, even though it came out more recently, I would be much more interested in someone taking another stab at the Hobbit and trying to do it right this time.

The following quote from The Count is rather pertinent to where I was and how I was feeling:

"He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness. We must have felt what it is to die, Morrel, that we may appreciate the enjoyments of living."

But like I said earlier, much better now.

Well, I'm glad you're back. Maybe you should have joined as Sinbad the Sailor then :)

Fathead

Oct 31, 2017
So glad to have a Tolkien thread again.

Still haven't found the right two trees print. :(

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
A warm hello, my fellow Tolkien enthusiasts.

I see Edmond has returned to us now, at the turning of the tide. (I could not resist)

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
What is the best illustrated version of the Hobbit and trilogy?

Bonus points for coziness.

The Alan Lee-illustrated 1992 edition, published to mark the centenary of Tolkien's birth, is for my money the best illustrated edition of The Lord of the Rings. Those illustrations were also included in the 60th anniversary edition of 2014, along with the fully corrected text that originally appeared in the 50th anniversary edition, but the overall packaging of the 60th ann. ed. (especially the translucent slipcase) is kinda tacky IMO.

Lee did an illustrated edition of The Hobbit as well but I'm not familiar with it. I'm somewhat partial to Tolkien's original ink illustrations, though they're pretty barebones compared to Lee's paintings (or Nasmith's for The Silmarillion, which are also excellent). The Annotated Hobbit, edited by Douglas A. Anderson, includes a number of illustrations IIRC but that might not be quite what you're looking for.

EDIT: I should add the that LOTR 60th ann. ed. I'm referring to is the one-volume edition. There was also a box set of all three volumes plus The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion which utilized Tolkien's original cover art, but AFAIK did not include additional illustrations.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
The Alan Lee-illustrated 1992 edition, published to mark the centenary of Tolkien's birth, is for my money the best illustrated edition of The Lord of the Rings. Those illustrations were also included in the 60th anniversary edition of 2014, along with the fully corrected text that originally appeared in the 50th anniversary edition, but the overall packaging of the 60th ann. ed. (especially the translucent slipcase) is kinda tacky IMO.

Lee did an illustrated edition of The Hobbit as well but I'm not familiar with it. I'm somewhat partial to Tolkien's original ink illustrations, though they're pretty barebones compared to Lee's paintings (or Nasmith's for The Silmarillion, which are also excellent). The Annotated Hobbit, edited by Douglas A. Anderson, includes a number of illustrations IIRC but that might not be quite what you're looking for.

EDIT: I should add the that LOTR 60th ann. ed. I'm referring to is the one-volume edition. There was also a box set of all three volumes plus The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion which utilized Tolkien's original cover art, but AFAIK did not include additional illustrations.

Solid recommendations. I do have the Annotated Hobbit (a "in case of fire, grab first" kind of purchase), and I love all the different illustrations from the multiple language editions.

And you can't go wrong with Alan Lee! I know I need one version of his at least and I'll try and find the 1992 edition, unless the newer is more affordable.

Jacob's on-point with the Alan Lee recommendations. I would also recommend this illustrated edition of The Hobbit with artwork by Jemima Catlin:

pZAYwd9.jpg

Catlin's artwork is much more like a traditional children's book. It provides a nice contrast to Lee's work.

Wow that actually makes me think of a lighter Edward Gorey.

Which also reminds me that I wish we could have gotten the Frazetta LOTR.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Jacob's on-point with the Alan Lee recommendations. I would also recommend this illustrated edition of The Hobbit with artwork by Jemima Catlin:

pZAYwd9.jpg

Catlin's artwork is much more like a traditional children's book. It provides a nice contrast to Lee's work.

Good suggestion. I only flipped through Ms. Catlin's edition once or twice (I used to work in a bookstore and we stocked it), but I've heard good things about it from people who have copies.

Solid recommendations. I do have the Annotated Hobbit (a "in case of fire, grab first" kind of purchase), and I love all the different illustrations from the multiple language editions.

And you can't go wrong with Alan Lee! I know I need one version of his at least and I'll try and find the 1992 edition, unless the newer is more affordable.

I poked around on Amazon for a couple minutes and they have a one-volume hardcover version of the 1992 edition marked down to less than $50, which is cheaper than I've ever seen it before (not that I look regularly or anything). I've always been tempted to get a copy of my own, but the 50th Anniversary Edition (special edition with the leather cover, gold leaf, and slipcase) cost enough on its own, and I mostly stick to trade paperbacks for everyday reading/reference copies, since those can get a good deal of wear and tear.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0395595118/?tag=era0f0-20

Last edited:

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hi folks, have read every post and looking forward to learning more about Tolkien and his works. Thanks to Loxley and Dantes I learnt so much.

Also and I think here is the right place to post, I need to advise you all of this fantastic piece of fan work. It's a full narration of the LOTR by a gentleman called Phil Dragash. Its wonderful. Not only does he adopt different character voices he "used" sound effects and music from the movies to enhance the listening. The level of detail is amazing. You can hear the hobbits walking through fallen leaves as they set off from Hobbiton. Birds twittering and glasses jangle in the Prancing Pony. The hair on the back of my neck prickled when we got to Moria and the Balrog turned up. It's a real masterpiece and should be on every fans download and listen list.

I have listened through several times and love it. It helps when you have a particularly boring day in the office!

Enjoy

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cjjdiknzeieol,6jmo2c5q9vbll,jdmyib22aeqpm

Oh, I forgot to mention not only did he narate the lot, he also did original artwork to support each chapter. Some beautiful work.

Corrupt

Oct 31, 2017
Hi folks, have read every post and looking forward to learning more about Tolkien and his works. Thanks to Loxley and Dantes I learnt so much.

Also and I think here is the right place to post, I need to advise you all of this fantastic piece of fan work. It's a full narration of the LOTR by a gentleman called Phil Dragash. Its wonderful. Not only does he adopt different character voices he "used" sound effects and music from the movies to enhance the listening. The level of detail is amazing. You can hear the hobbits walking through fallen leaves as they set off from Hobbiton. Birds twittering and glasses jangle in the Prancing Pony. The hair on the back of my neck prickled when we got to Moria and the Balrog turned up. It's a real masterpiece and should be on every fans download and listen list.

I have listened through several times and love it. It helps when you have a particularly boring day in the office!

Enjoy

Oh, I forgot to mention not only did he narate the lot, he also did original artwork to support each chapter. Some beautiful work.
Ha, I came to mention I had just started listening to this, only to find this post waiting for me, good timing.

I'm in the middle of other books currently, and I was getting the itch to re-read LotR but didn't have the time, so when this was brought to my attention a while ago I was intrigued. I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm enjoying it so far, the audio effects and music give it a great atmosphere and keeps it lively, I agree.

Also, I'd like to echo everyone else in saying I'm very pleased you're active again, Edmond Dantes. Your lore posts on GAF led me to read the LotR books, along with The Silmarillion, so I'm glad to see you and your avatar showing up here in threads again lol.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, I picked up a Swedish translation of the collected book in 2002 and it's the one with the Alan Lee art, just a later printing. I also found an older print in a book shop, from 1971, which is my only English edition when I need it for reference. My own original version was a collection of six books with the three main books, Silmarillion and two large compendiums probably based on the History of Middle-earth books.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017

Enjoy

This is wonderful. His passion for Middle-earth really shines through. The more accomplished adaptations and interpretations of Tolkien's works the better.
Ha, I came to mention I had just started listening to this, only to find this post waiting for me, good timing.

I'm in the middle of other books currently, and I was getting the itch to re-read LotR but didn't have the time, so when this was brought to my attention a while ago I was intrigued. I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm enjoying it so far, the audio effects and music give it a great atmosphere and keeps it lively, I agree.

Also, I'd like to echo everyone else in saying I'm very pleased you're active again, Edmond Dantes. Your lore posts on GAF led me to read the LotR books, along with The Silmarillion, so I'm glad to see you and your avatar showing up here in threads again lol.
Thank you. It warms my heart to know that I've inspired a few people to delve into Tolkien's famous and not so famous works.

Scottify

Oct 25, 2017
I shared this photo of Tolkien in his greenhouse in another Tolkien thread and I wanted to share it here again. I really enjoy this photo, for me it really just shows a lot of how I envisioned him. Looking over plants, a pipe in hand, at one with nature. Much how I would expect a hobbit to behave.

Edit: Removed picture as it is not actually Tolkien

Last edited:

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I shared this photo of Tolkien in his greenhouse in another Tolkien thread and I wanted to share it here again. I really enjoy this photo, for me it really just shows a lot of how I envisioned him. Looking over plants, a pipe in hand, at one with nature. Much how I would expect a hobbit to behave.
tumblr_m00zgghtLw1r6gmk3o1_500.jpg
That's one of my favorurite photos of Tolkien. As you say, it really captures the essence of the man. He remarked that he was very much like a hobbit. He also likened himself to Faramir and Beren.

"I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late (when possible). I love Wales (what is left of it, when mines, and the even more ghastly sea-side resons, have done their worst), and especially the Welsh language. But I have not in fact been in W. for a long time (except for crossing it on the way to Ireland). I go frequently to Ireland (Eire: Southern Ireland) being fond of it and of (most of) its people; but the Irish language I find wholly unattractive. I hope that is enough to go on with."
Letters #213

"As far as any character is "like me" it is Faramir – except that I lack what all my characters possess (let the psychoanalysts note!) Courage), since without thought, in a "blurb" I wrote for The Hobbit, I spoke of the time between the Elder Days and the Dominion of Men. Out of that came the "missing link": The "Downfall of Numenor", releasing some hidden "complex". For when Faramir speaks of his private vision of the Great Wave, he speaks for me. That vision and dream has been ever with me – and has been inherited (as I only discovered recently) by one of my children." - Letters #180

"[In 1909] I met the Lúthien Tinúviel of my own personal 'romance' with her long dark hair, fair face and starry eyes, and beautiful voice. And in 1934 she was still with me, and her beautiful children. But now she has gone before Beren, leaving him indeed one-handed, but he has no power to move the inexorable Mandos, and there is no Dor Gyrth i chuinar, the Land of the Dead that Live, in this Fallen Kingdom of Arda, where the servants of Morgoth are worshipped..." Letters #332

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
The greenhouse photo is a lovely one and it certainly fits with the impression of Tolkien I get from the Letters and Carpenter's Biography (as the quotes in Edmond's post demonstrate nicely), but unfortunately this particular picture is misattributed and not actually Tolkien (h/t to The Tolkienist).

Last edited:

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
The greenhouse photo is a lovely one and it certainly fits with the impression of Tolkien I get from the Letters and Carpenter's Biography (as the quotes in Edmond's post demonstrate nicely), but unfortunately this particular picture is misattributed and not actually Tolkien (h/t to The Tolkienist).
That is indeed a shame, but thankfully we have a plethora of photos of Tolkien in his pomp and elder years.

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_m00zgghtLw1r6gmk3o1_500.jpg

I knew there was something up with this photo. The man in the picture always never looked quite like Tolkien to me.

Bombadil

Oct 25, 2017
Near the Withywindle river

Enjoy

I wish this was available as an actual audiobook file, where you could place bookmarks and what-not like in Audible. I'm currently listening to Robert Inglis's narration, and while it's good, the sudden shifts in his tone or the deepness of his voice when reading a character's lines can often make it seems like he switched characters, but then you realize though he started a sentence with the roughness of Boromir's voice before jumping up to the higher, merrier voice he gives Elves like Legolas and Glorfindel, he was speaking as Aragorn all along.

Scottify

Oct 25, 2017
Well dang, my apologies. It so fit in with my image of him that I didn't even think twice. But I'm glad we now know.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Well dang, my apologies. It so fit in with my image of him that I didn't even think twice. But I'm glad we now know.

No worries. I had the same thought process when I first saw it; wasn't until later that I thought about it more, but even then I wasn't sure until I saw someone had done the detective work.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I wish this was available as an actual audiobook file, where you could place bookmarks and what-not like in Audible. I'm currently listening to Robert Inglis's narration, and while it's good, the sudden shifts in his tone or the deepness of his voice when reading a character's lines can often make it seems like he switched characters, but then you realize though he started a sentence with the roughness of Boromir's voice before jumping up to the higher, merrier voice he gives Elves like Legolas and Glorfindel, he was speaking as Aragorn all along.

Everybody grew up with Ingles and have fond memories of listening to this on cassette. I agree his voices can be a bit confusing, but after a few listenes you get used to it. For me however I am totally converted to Phil's work.

Also for those of you who are interested here is the excellent BBC version which is available on soundcloud. I can pretty much repeat word for word this version I have listened to it hundreds of times. Mostly commuting or at work these days, but it was on constant repeat growing up when it was time for bed. Good times

https://m.soundcloud.com/inkmore/sets/lord-of-the-rings-radio

Corrupt

Oct 31, 2017
Regarding The Hobbit, this fellow: http://hobbithunter.nl/product-category/hobbits-i-have/, has quite the collection. A very good resource for anyone wanting to see many of the various worldwide publications of The Hobbit.
Some really nice artwork, this is why I wish Kindles gave you the option of alternating the cover for your books, I'd like to be able to toggle between some of these on the fly.

One other thing I noticed on there..
Azerbaijan-1-2.jpg

This is probably why dwarves aren't often depicted wearing red and white, I thought Bilbo was adventuring with Santa Claus for a moment.

Last edited:

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna repost that Melkor fan art here because it's awesome and comes pretty close to matching Tolkien's "mountain" description of him.

ac867b2e135eafc15a275f50ff368765-d8jvolk.jpg

Bashful Trey

Oct 27, 2017
Houston TX
If you were going to see a single Middle-Earth story fleshed out into a film or mini-series, which story would you have adapted?

Besides the ones already made.