• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, definitely makes sense. Thanks to Jackson, the NZ film industry has experience in working on large-scale projects, plus there's just the fact that New Zealand's incredibly varied landscape has become synonymous with Middle-earth.

Yes, but unfortunately to the detriment of local actors, if you watch Lindsay Ellis' series on the Hobbit productions.

I really want it to stay there though.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Regal Cinemas in the US is running all-day LOTR EE marathons at select locations this week, though they're showing the films out of order some of the days.

https://www.regmovies.com/promotions/lord-of-the-rings-marathon

(Un)fortunately the Regal ten minutes away from my house is not one of the participating locations, though I'm not sure if I'd be up for this anyway. I did a single day EE marathon (at home) back in 2016 and while I'm glad I can say I had the experience, I expect that next time I watch the trilogy it will be the way I used to regularly, which is over the course of a weekend, one film per night Friday to Sunday.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
https://wayneandchristina.wordpress.com/2018/09/08/tolkien-notes-17/

'Tolkien and the Visual Image'

We have been invited to give an illustrated public lecture on 'Tolkien and the Visual Image' at the Morgan Library and Museum, in connection with 'Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth' when it travels to New York from the Bodleian. We will be speaking in the evening on 31 January 2019, shortly after the exhibition opens on 25 January. Further details and ticket ordering will be available later this year through the Morgan Library website.

That'll be like a week and a half into the semester so I dunno how workable a New York trip would be, but man is it tempting to get to see Hammond & Scull speak.

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

This was a really fun read, I got a good chuckle from Lee dropping out of art school "because it was full of beatniks" XD

https://wayneandchristina.wordpress.com/2018/09/08/tolkien-notes-17/

That'll be like a week and a half into the semester so I dunno how workable a New York trip would be, but man is it tempting to get to see Hammond & Scull speak.

Man, if I still lived in Philadelphia I'd be there in a heartbeat. Alas, flying out from the upper midwest is more of a hassle.

Last edited:

Bombadil

Oct 25, 2017
Near the Withywindle river
Finally got my deluxe edition of The Fall of Gondolin yesterday. Just wish I had the shelf space for it (along with the deluxe editions of Beren and Luthien and The History of Middle-earth) to fit it next to my other Tolkien books.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got my deluxe edition of The Fall of Gondolin yesterday. Just wish I had the shelf space for it (along with the deluxe editions of Beren and Luthien and The History of Middle-earth) to fit it next to my other Tolkien books.
That's quite the collection you're amassing Tom. The deluxe editions really do add something to the experience of reading a Tolkien book.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
The Middle-earth map sweatshirt I ordered finally arrived today! Someone posted a picture of theirs on the Tolkien Society's FB group and it turns out there's a small business in China that makes them (undoubtedly with a license) and you can order them to be shipped internationally. I erred on the small size when ordering it but it was only $13 bucks with free shipping (dunno how sustainable that business model is) so not too bad.

zmhnlE9h.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
The Middle-earth map sweatshirt I ordered finally arrived today! Someone posted a picture of theirs on the Tolkien Society's FB group and it turns out there's a small business in China that makes them (undoubtedly with a license) and you can order them to be shipped internationally. I erred on the small size when ordering it but it was only $13 bucks with free shipping (dunno how sustainable that business model is) so not too bad.

zmhnlE9h.jpg
That's some impressive printing.

Speaking of Tolkien related art, some images from John Howe's new book: A Middle-earth Traveller.

81SqNAn6eGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71DF%2BB4YyLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71wvIpAcDtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

51L0IbXrJ%2BL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Last edited:

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK

zmhnlE9h.jpg

Cool t shirt. Could be fun to have tucked away.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see some more art from John Howe on the Silmarillion.

Particularly the battle sequences.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Don't know if anyone was waiting on a price drop for the Fall of Gondolin Deluxe Edition but I just ordered it from A Great Read for £35.92 with the £3 off code for subscribing to their newsletter. Not used them before but they have a good TrustAdvisor score and allow PayPal payment.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if anyone was waiting on a price drop for the Fall of Gondolin Deluxe Edition but I just ordered it from A Great Read for £35.92 with the £3 off code for subscribing to their newsletter. Not used them before but they have a good TrustAdvisor score and allow PayPal payment.
That's a bargain considering the RRP.

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My John Howe book should be arriving tomorrow, can't wait to dive into it.

On another note, a friend of mine who's big into war gaming (Warhammer 40k and the like) has somehow managed to suck me into that whole world simply because he mentioned that Games Workshop makes a Lord of the Rings game as well. Plus they just came out with their first revised rulebook for the game since 2005 and a new scenario for Pelennor Fields:

gTBQI5C.jpg

God help me, I've become one of...those people. I promised myself that my table-top nerdiness wouldn't go beyond D&D, but I've failed. Such is the power of anything branded with Middle-earth, I'm too weak.

Oct 27, 2017
My John Howe book should be arriving tomorrow, can't wait to dive into it.

On another note, a friend of mine who's big into war gaming (Warhammer 40k and the like) has somehow managed to suck me into that whole world simply because he mentioned that Games Workshop makes a Lord of the Rings game as well. Plus they just came out with their first revised rulebook for the game since 2005 and a new scenario for Pelennor Fields:

gTBQI5C.jpg

God help me, I've become one of...those people. I promised myself that my table-top nerdiness wouldn't go beyond D&D, but I've failed. Such is the power of anything branded with Middle-earth, I'm too weak.

I grew up with my older brother (who got me into LotR) playing this tabletop game. He collected everything and he'd let me play against him sometimes

He still has hundreds and hundreds of models from every faction in a cupboard at his house and we occasionally use them for D&D

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Peter Jackson's quite excited for Amazon's Middle-earth project:

"I'm kind of looking forward to it. I was a guy who didn't get to see the Lord of the Rings like everybody else because I had to make it, so I'm looking forward to seeing somebody else's take on the Tolkien world."

https://geektyrant.com/news/peter-j...ited-for-amazons-the-lord-of-the-rings-series

I'm still really curious to see if this series makes a complete break from Jackson's films and creates its own continuity. It's sounding more and more like it will be its own thing.

I was at a Barnes & Noble yesterday and I saw that there's a new re-issue of The Lord of the Rings in the US with these covers:

bePEQRV.jpg
7eyJPYZ.jpg
s9KOSiV.jpg

I nearly bought all of them for my collection since they're pretty cheap Mass Market Paperback editions, but I already own so many copies of LOTR that I figured I could wait a bit longer. Especially since I just picked up the John Howe book.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still really curious to see if this series makes a complete break from Jackson's films and creates its own continuity. It's sounding more and more like it will be its own thing.

I was at a Barnes & Noble yesterday and I saw that there's a new re-issue of The Lord of the Rings in the US with these covers:

bePEQRV.jpg
7eyJPYZ.jpg
s9KOSiV.jpg

I nearly bought all of them for my collection since they're pretty cheap Mass Market Paperback editions, but I already own so many copies of LOTR that I figured I could wait a bit longer. Especially since I just picked up the John Howe book.
I still think the series will borrow heavily from the trilogy in terms of style. A clean break might prove to be too much of a departure from the live action Middle-earth many have grown up and are familiar with.

Those covers are very nice indeed.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Man, slightly drunk, but isn't the Rohirrim Charge at Pelennor just incredible? I'd go as far to say it's the most selfless act in the trilogy. They know they cannot win yet they do it anyway. Incredible.

Fathead

Oct 31, 2017
I have to admit the arrival of the Rohirrim is my favorite moment of the films. It's better than my imagination.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still think the series will borrow heavily from the trilogy in terms of style. A clean break might prove to be too much of a departure from the live action Middle-earth many have grown up and are familiar with.

Those covers are very nice indeed.
Seeing how it is being set between The Hobbit and FOTR it would be weird to be a clean break since it isn't stepping on the toes of the two trilogies.

Oct 26, 2017
Ride of the Rohirrim is the ultimate in cinematic excellence. From the moment the horn sounds, the cavalry crest the hill with the sun behind them, to the best pre-battle speech of all time, to the charge. The orcs firing off their arrows, then realizing there's no amount of wood gonna stop that charge, then Jackson having you practically on the ground as the vanguard hits the weakening wall, panning back, panning back to show you how deeply into the flank they strike.

It's perfection.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Man, slightly drunk, but isn't the Rohirrim Charge at Pelennor just incredible? I'd go as far to say it's the most selfless act in the trilogy. They know they cannot win yet they do it anyway. Incredible.
It is a wonderful scence and Bernard Hill's delivery and performance completely upstages Viggo Mortensen's at the Black Gate.
Seeing how it is being set between The Hobbit and FOTR it would be weird to be a clean break since it isn't stepping on the toes of the two trilogies.
Indeed. But a change of style might be something imposed upon the writers by the Tolkien Estate. We won't know for sure until we start seeing production leaks and offical promo material.

Fathead

Oct 31, 2017
It is a wonderful scence and Bernard Hill's delivery and performance completely upstages Viggo Mortensen's at the Black Gate.

It's true that Hill's performance is leaps and bounds better in this scene than Mortensen's equivalent. I think in general it's obvious that Peter Jackson had a strong soft spot for the Rohirrim, and that this scene is the strongest example. It also doesn't hurt that Bernard gets the lines straight from Tolkien, inspired by an Norse verse.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
It's true that Hill's performance is leaps and bounds better in this scene than Mortensen's equivalent. I think in general it's obvious that Peter Jackson had a strong soft spot for the Rohirrim, and that this scene is the strongest example. It also doesn't hurt that Bernard gets the lines straight from Tolkien, inspired by an Norse verse.
Indeed. Although, to be fair to Viggo, the speech used in the film is the inferior version and not the one used in the ROTK trailers. A decision that baffles me to this day.

For US folk:

https://youtu.be/rwmICQxP6-A

A preview clip of The Great American Read episode on Tolkien.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Indeed. Although, to be fair to Viggo, the speech used in the film is the inferior version and not the one used in the ROTK trailers. A decision that baffles me to this day.

For US folk:

https://youtu.be/rwmICQxP6-A

A preview clip of The Great American Read episode on Tolkien.

Damn, I hadn't even heard of that. Still a couple days of voting left so I made sure to vote for LOTR and a few other favs.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
UzdXxHo.gif

I still get chills the instant I hear those horns. Everything about the whole sequence is just beautifully done.

Same here. It's always the highlight of the movie whenever I watch the third film.
After he knocks Gandalf down, breaks his staff raises his sword, makes it flammable and hisses "You have failed, the world of men will fall" Then boom an orchestra of horns starts blowing so loudly it echoes the whole city. And then you see the arrival of the Rohirrim slowly appearing at the top of the hill. . Such an incredible crafted scene that even after watching it dozen upon dozen of times it still manages to give me goosebumps.

Forth Earlingas!

Also this scene transendes any cinema experience I've had. I saw this film on premiere evening in the Colosseum which is the largest cinema in Norway. The whole night was packed with the most hardcore LOTR fans, many dressed up as Tolkien characters. You had red carpet as you entered the cinema entertained by actors in costumes. This scene is what I remember the most fondly and as it happened the tension and hype building up in the theater was so overwhelming it had my heart beating so hard I was practically shaking. People were crying, crowds were cheering, I was literally at the edge of my seat with excitement. I doubt I will ever have a movie experience similar ever again… well unless they get the rights for Silmarillon and re-creates War of Wrath.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Same here. It's always the highlight of the movie whenever I watch the third film.
After he knocks Gandalf down, breaks his staff raises his sword, makes it flammable and hisses "You have failed, the world of men will fall" Then boom an orchestra of horns starts blowing so loudly it echoes the whole city. And then you see the arrival of the Rohirrim slowly appearing at the top of the hill. . Such an incredible crafted scene that even after watching it dozen upon dozen of times it still manages to give me goosebumps.

Forth Earlingas!

If I have one little nit-pick about the scene, it's that Théoden's dialogue can be a bit hard to understand since he's yelling it at the top of his lungs. When I first saw the film, I hadn't yet read the book - so when he yells "Death!" - I legit thought he was just screaming "DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" to get everyone hyped about the charge XD It wasn't until I got to that part in the book that I realized 1) They were actually shouting "Death!", and 2) That line in general, "Death! Ride, ride to ruin and the world's ending!" was actually Eomer's when he discovers Théoden and Eowyn dying.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
If I have one little nit-pick about the scene, it's that Théoden's dialogue can be a bit hard to understand since he's yelling it at the top of his lungs. When I first saw the film, I hadn't yet read the book - so when he yells "Death!" - I legit thought he was just screaming "DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" to get everyone hyped about the charge XD It wasn't until I got to that part in the book that I realized 1) They were actually shouting "Death!", and 2) That line in general, "Death! Ride, ride to ruin and the world's ending!" was actually Eomer's when he discovers Théoden and Eowyn dying.

Never noticed that, but this is why I always watch movies with English subtitles :)

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
After five months of voting, LOTR came in fifth in PBS' "The Great American Read", the final results of which were announced yesterday.

1. "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee
2. "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon (series)
3. "Harry Potter" by J.K. Rowling (series)
4. "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen
5. "The Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien (series)
6. "Gone With the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell
7. "Charlotte's Web" by E.B. White
8. "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott
9. "The Chronicles of Narnia" by C.S. Lewis (series)
10. "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte

https://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/results/

Oct 26, 2017
After five months of voting, LOTR came in fifth in PBS' "The Great American Read", the final results of which were announced yesterday.

Looks like quite a few of the great "American" reads weren't written by Americans lol

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017

A good, sensible list, with nothing too controversial included.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Looks like quite a few of the great "American" reads weren't written by Americans lol

The poll was to determine Americans' favorite novel, not the greatest novel written by an American. Half of the authors in the top ten are English, yes, but I don't think it's terribly surprising since they're all very famous around the world. I'm sure it helps that there are a lot of Anglophiles in this country, though. :P

I'm not surprised Outlander made the list but I would not have guessed it'd be number two. I suppose the TV series couldn't've hurt, though it was already very popular beforehand, of course.

Last edited:

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I think i might agree Harry Potter > Lord of the Rings

Its just much more fun to adults and children