• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Confirmation of the start of filming in New Zealand I would think.

This is supposedly the second unit stuff, correct? Actual principle photography doesn't begin until next year if those rumors from a couple months ago were true.

Also, I completely missed this quote from Tom Shippey, but apparently the Tolkien Estate has veto power on the show, to make sure they don't stray too far from the source material:

Tolkien purists can breathe a sigh of relief, as Amazon's deal for the rights to the Lord of the Rings series reportedly include quite a few rules regarding the show's faithfulness to the source material.

Speaking to the German Tolkien Society, Tolkien scholar and series supervisor Tom Shippey indicated that the Tolkien estate has veto power over any content in the series that doesn't correspond with the author's vision for the saga.

"The Tolkien estate will insist that the main shape of the Second Age is not altered," said Shippey. "Sauron invades Eriador, is forced back by a Númenorean expedition, returns to Númenor. There, he corrupts the Númenoreans and seduces them to break the ban of the Valar. All this, the course of history, must remain the same."

Shippey also confirmed that the Third Age of Middle-earth — in which The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are set — is off-limits for the series, suggesting that there won't be any hobbits to be found in the show.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
This is supposedly the second unit stuff, correct? Actual principle photography doesn't begin until next year if those rumors from a couple months ago were true.

Also, I completely missed this quote from Tom Shippey, but apparently the Tolkien Estate has veto power on the show, to make sure they don't stray too far from the source material:
Officially confirmed now to start filming in the next few months. Pre-production has started according to this too:

This warrants a new thread in the main board I think.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
Posted back on page 14 ;) But yeah, you can tell just how deeply personal it was for him seeing his father's art being recreated in such a beautiful way.
One thing i don't understand about Tolkien is that he hated allegory but wrote this in a personal letter

" "The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision. That is why I have not put in, or have cut out, practically all references to anything like 'religion', to cults or practices, in the imaginary world. For the religious element is absorbed into the story and the symbolism." "

Oct 26, 2017
One thing i don't understand about Tolkien is that he hated allegory but wrote this in a personal letter

" "The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision. That is why I have not put in, or have cut out, practically all references to anything like 'religion', to cults or practices, in the imaginary world. For the religious element is absorbed into the story and the symbolism." "

He meant that things in his work do not represent specific real world things. There can still be themes and symbolism.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
I know it's good to keep expectations in check, but it still feels surreal to me we're getting a TV show about the Second Age.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's good to keep expectations in check, but it still feels surreal to me we're getting a TV show about the Second Age.
Yeah, never thought I'd see it happen a few years ago when the Estate was at its most protective. Things have changed fast though, and even a Silmarillion adaptation seems entirely possible down the line.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, never thought I'd see it happen a few years ago when the Estate was at its most protective. Things have changed fast though, and even a Silmarillion adaptation seems entirely possible down the line.

I wonder if the woefully mismanaged Hobbit films freaked them out a bit for a while. Wouldn't blame them.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the three of them in Dublin a number of years ago. Absolutely amazing. The smaller theatre showing of the Fellowship was by far the best. TT and Return were brilliant but they were in an arena and the music lost some of it's oomph. Overall though, an incredible experience!
Nice!

I saw ROTK at the cinema on its release and that is still one of the two greatest cinema experiences I've had along with Lawrence of Arabia in 4K. I did the trilogy marathon last year at the Prince Charles cinema in London which drained me because the seating there is pretty abysmal.

A live orchestra/film combination is something I've yet to do with LOTR so this upcoming performance at the RAH is a must for me.

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Hey gang! So...normally this wouldn't really be worth posting about, but since this is the community I'm the most connected with on Era by a country mile, I figure it'd be worth mentioning.

After 10 years with the same avatar (minus a brief period that only lasted for a couple months on the old forums) I've decided to permanently change it. This was my old avatar that most (if not all) of you know me by:

TZ2zFBm.jpg

The reason for the change after all this time is pretty straight-forward. To be blunt, Errol Flynn was a monstrous, rapist piece of shit who repeatedly engaged in sexual relationships with underage girls and I no longer want his face associated with my name on this forum (or any). Up until recently, thanks to some hardcore mental-blockage, I've been able to separate the art from the artist because I hadn't been exposed to the worst of the allegations against him. I love the Robin Hood mythos and The Adventures of Robin Hood was one of my favorite movies as a kid, but ever since I found out what a horrible person Flynn really was a few years back I've been wrestling with my continued use of this avatar. So I basically just tried not to think about it. To the point where I actually kind of forgot about it.

What really pushed me over the edge now was recently reading Flynn's autobiography - "My Wicked, Wicked, Ways" in which he gleefully details all of his insane, disgusting escapades. It turns out he was way, way worse than I'd known. Flynn was a straight-up pedophile. So it goes without saying that I've reached the point where I can't in good-conscience keep using the avatar anymore. It actively grosses me out to even look at it.

So! After mulling over a bunch of different options (a different Robin Hood? Maybe Glorfindel or something else related to the Middle-earth?) I finally decided on a replacement, one of these two:

GW91vW5.jpg
W9VJLGO.jpg

They're both photos of one of my favorite sculptures, Dying Achilles. I'm a huge fan of Greek mythology and have always been drawn to the story of Achilles - particularly the bisexual interpretation of his character, given that I'm bi myself. I went with the one on the left just as a default but I like both, so if any of you have a preference feel free to help ol' Loxley pick a new avatar.

Loxley, by the way, will still be my name, that ain't changing :)

I saw the three of them in Dublin a number of years ago. Absolutely amazing. The smaller theatre showing of the Fellowship was by far the best. TT and Return were brilliant but they were in an arena and the music lost some of it's oomph. Overall though, an incredible experience!

Man I'm jealous. It's my dream to one day see the trilogy with a live orchestra.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Hey gang! So...normally this wouldn't really be worth posting about, but since this is the community I'm the most connected with on Era by a country mile, I figure it'd be worth mentioning.

After 10 years with the same avatar (minus a brief period that only lasted for a couple months on the old forums) I've decided to permanently change it. This was my old avatar that most (if not all) of you know me by:

TZ2zFBm.jpg

The reason for the change after all this time is pretty straight-forward. To be blunt, Errol Flynn was a monstrous, rapist piece of shit who repeatedly engaged in sexual relationships with underage girls and I no longer want his face associated with my name on this forum (or any). Up until recently, thanks to some hardcore mental-blockage, I've been able to separate the art from the artist because I hadn't been exposed to the worst of the allegations against him. I love the Robin Hood mythos and The Adventures of Robin Hood was one of my favorite movies as a kid, but ever since I found out what a horrible person Flynn really was a few years back I've been wrestling with my continued use of this avatar. So I basically just tried not to think about it. To the point where I actually kind of forgot about it.

What really pushed me over the edge now was recently reading Flynn's autobiography - "My Wicked, Wicked, Ways" in which he gleefully details all of his insane, disgusting escapades. It turns out he was way, way worse than I'd known. Flynn was a straight-up pedophile. So it goes without saying that I've reached the point where I can't in good-conscience keep using the avatar anymore. It actively grosses me out to even look at it.

So! After mulling over a bunch of different options (a different Robin Hood? Maybe Glorfindel or something else related to the Middle-earth?) I finally decided on a replacement, one of these two:

GW91vW5.jpg
W9VJLGO.jpg

They're both photos of one of my favorite sculptures, Dying Achilles. I'm a huge fan of Greek mythology and have always been drawn to the story of Achilles - particularly the bisexual interpretation of his character, given that I'm bi myself. I went with the one on the left just as a default but I like both, so if any of you have a preference feel free to help ol' Loxley pick a new avatar.

Loxley, by the way, will still be my name, that ain't changing :)

Man I'm jealous. It's my dream to one day see the trilogy with a live orchestra.
Didn't know that about Errol Flynn :/

Thank you for the explanation and info. I'd go with the avatar choice you went with. A little less busy and more recognizable.

Speaking of Achilles, have you read The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller? If not, I think you'd really enjoy it. It's one of my favourite interpretations of The Iliad and Achilles/Patroclus' relationship.

This edition from Bloomsbury Modern Classics is lovely.

9781408891384.jpg

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know that about Errol Flynn :/

Thank you for the explanation and info. I'd go with the avatar choice you went with. A little less busy and more recognizable.

Speaking of Achilles, have you read The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller? If not, I think you'd really enjoy it. It's one of my favourite interpretations of The Iliad and Achilles/Patroclus' relationship.

This edition from Bloomsbury Modern Classics is lovely.

9781408891384.jpg

I haven't read it yet but I've heard it's great! I have a trip to South Africa coming up in November and have been looking for things to read on the (god help me) 25 hours worth of flights it'll take me to get there. I'll definitely be picking this up :)

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I didn't know that about Errol Flynn either... Makes sense why you want a change, though I'm sure it must feel kinda weird after 10 years with the same avatar. It's only in recent years that I've switched from being a serial avatar changer to settling on something that I've come to identify with my online presence to a greater extent. I have to add my voice to the chorus that I like the option you picked. It looks good!

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Joseph Mawle has been cast as a villain:

_joseph_mawle_-_getty_-_h_2019_.jpg

Sauron or someone else, like one of the Nine? The Hollywood Reporter says "main villain" but that's the kind of detail that could easily get mixed up in a leak and they might have a red herring as the villain before Sauron's reveal anyway.
He doesn't strike me as a Sauron/Annatar, more a Witch-king before becoming a wraith. Or he could be a completely new character created by the writers to serve as an early antagonist before Sauron comes to the fore in the latter seasons.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Oren -> Soren -> Sauron

Wake up sheeple.

I assume/hope it's a placeholder name.

Also, I notice that THR states production is slated to begin in 2020. We heard previously that Amazon was contractually obligated to begin production within two years of getting the rights, which would have made the deadline next month, but it was pretty clear they weren't going to make that. Since the Tolkien Estate is reportedly in consistent communication with Amazon, I assume they asked for and received an extension to the deadline. Presumably it's in the Estate's interest for the project not to be rushed, especially if my theory that Amazon scrapped their original plan and started over from scratch with the Second Age is true.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Since Twitch has Watch Parties now, I wonder if we can somehow do a stream for ERA where we watch the LOTR show together when it comes out

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Today is Christopher Tolkien's 95th birthday. Thank you Christopher for everything you've done with your father's legacy.

It's worth posting this video of him seeing the Aubusson Tisse Tolkien project again.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
Well, with Morfydd Clark as Galadriel we have our first canonically named character cast:

morfydd-clark-1.jpg

Galadriel would make a lot of sense as the main character for a variety of reasond - she's complex with some skeletons in her closet, a major player who does interesting things, a female, and familiar to movie watchers. If it were up to me I would have a different generation of Numenor each season (perhaps slowing down toward the end) and have the elves and Sauron as the stable throughline grounding the whole story.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Well, with Morfydd Clark as Galadriel we have our first canonically named character cast:

morfydd-clark-1.jpg

Galadriel would make a lot of sense as the main character for a variety of reasond - she's complex with some skeletons in her closet, a major player who does interesting things, a female, and familiar to movie watchers. If it were up to me I would have a different generation of Numenor each season (perhaps slowing down toward the end) and have the elves and Sauron as the stable throughline grounding the whole story.
Good casting and I like your idea of Galadriel been the protagonist throughout the 5 seasons with the human characters coming and going.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Hard to exaggerate the impact he had on both Tolkien studies and popular appreciation of his father's works. RIP after a long and well-lived life.

OP
OP
Loxley

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Talk about the end of an era. I guess this does likely mean that The Fall of Gondolin was the last posthumous Tolkien release we'll ever receive :( We were really lucky that Christopher dedicated so much of his life to continuing to flesh out his father's world.

Imagine not having The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales or the Histories. That's just, like, weird to think about.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
We should be very thankful we got someone of Christopher's integrity and restraint to steward his father's legacy. When you look at how Brian Herbert handled Dune by partnering with Kevin J Anderson to write thirteen prequel/sequel/interquel novels (so far!) "based on how his father's notes" which have never been released, we see how poorly it could have gone.

Last edited: