• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
I played last night for two hours with no performance issues, now today it has crashed four times, the game takes forever to load up, and it is stuttering like crazy. Really disappointing.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
3rd crash today. I'm trying to give DX12 a chance but fuck it isn't cooperating. Dictator , did you notice any graphical difference between DX11 / DX12? Or is it just about performance?
Also noticed a small but noticeable bug that basically disables 100% of the DoF effects (character blurred while in aiming instance, background DoF when aiming, menu background, etc) after 30 minutes to 1 hour of gameplay. It grinds my gears because I love the effect. Restarting the game fixes it for some time then it happens again.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
My OC 1080ti causes crashes with a +55 to clock speed. But at +50 to clock speed it's fine.
Still have the skills bug where they cooldown moments after using them which is annoying. Tried just a few hours ago on PC.

Phionoxx

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Ran into my first crash to desktop today. Playing a side mission and popped out of cover to aim and it kicked me back to windows. Hopefully still ironing out the kinks. I could switch back to DX11 I suppose as an option.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Putting resolution scale to 85% and sharpening to 8 is such a good FPS boost when playing at 1440p. Worth checking out, image just looks slightly softer which can be tweaked by the sharpening setting.

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
I caved and bought the standard edition, despite my better judgement. I don't need money do I guys?

I'm running a 2600X paired with a Vega 64, driving a 3400x1400 freesync ultra wide. What's my best bet settings wise at the moment? Obviously DX12 will run better, but is it crashing as bad as people are saying? I don't have to have it above 60fps all of the time. I've found that I don't even mind FPS in the region of 30-50 (with a controller), as long as the frame times are smooth. AC Odyssey taught me that.

What are opinions on controller vs mouse/keyboard? In open world games I like to take my time exploring, often just walking and taking in the sights. Can you walk with keyboard? Or can you only jog/run?

I hope that everyone is having fun!

Edit. I've got bugger all space left on my SSD. Is it going to run noticeably worse if I install it on a mechanical drive?

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I caved and bought the standard edition, despite my better judgement. I don't need money do I guys?

I'm running a 2600X paired with a Vega 64, driving a 3400x1400 freesync ultra wide. What's my best bet settings wise at the moment? Obviously DX12 will run better, but is it crashing as bad as people are saying? I don't have to have it above 60fps all of the time. I've found that I don't even mind FPS in the region of 30-50 (with a controller), as long as the frame times are smooth. AC Odyssey taught me that.

What are opinions on controller vs mouse/keyboard? In open world games I like to take my time exploring, often just walking and taking in the sights. Can you walk with keyboard? Or can you only jog/run?

Edit. I've got bugger all space left on my SSD. Is it going to run noticeably worse if I install it on a mechanical drive?

How can frame times be smooth if the frame rate is never locked?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Volumetric fog, resolution scaling (drop it to 85%), shadow quality, spot shadows, and object detail. Definitely install it on a SSD.

Might want to look at this too:

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
Volumetric fog, resolution scaling (drop it to 85%), shadow quality, spot shadows, and object detail. Definitely install it on a SSD.

Might want to look at this too:

Cheers! I've just played two hours on ultra with resolution scale at 85%. I can barely tell the difference in contrast to 100%. There's still a small amount of stutter so I'll try out your suggestions tomorrow.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway of moving this from mechanical HD to SSD easily ?

Just copy and paste. Then delete the installation in Uplay. After that, click on locate files (or something along those lines) under the download button and direct it to the files on your SSD. It's worked for me in the past. Assuming it's the same now.

blaisedial

Oct 25, 2017
Turning off all uplay elements, including fps counter, seems to have fixed my crashing problems. Was able to play for several hours last night without crashing at all. Previously was getting several crashes per session.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
When I boot the game in fullscreen, I get a black screen. I can hear audio, and interact with menus, but it's just black. Even when I disable all overlays, and delete the cfg files in My Games. The game works fine windowed, but I can't get it to work full screen. Any help?

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
I learnt the other day that TAA doesn't play with Sli and as many games use TAA (like Division 2) Sli is somewhat being made redundant. Far Cry New Dawn supports it as do a fair few others and there may be some alternative that can work but it's kind of a shame to not see it here, partly, if not wholly, due to TAA.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia's HRTF shadows looked much better in the first one, thanks AMD.
The funny part in this is that while the game can look ugly sometimes when maxed out it's running at essentially the same performance as TD1 does - maxed out too, with all NV features enabled. Feels a bit of a step back graphically for sure.

puzzles

Oct 27, 2017

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
sigh... crash crash crash. always at the worst time too

one more go and i'm done for the weekend

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I've only had one crash (when changing a setting in the graphics menu) in my 17 hours with the game despite always using overlay software, but I've also mostly played in DX11. This is with Afterburner 4.6.0 (beta 9) and RTSS 7.2.0.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Posting on behalf of a mate who Im playing with

At least 3x now he has randomly lost all ability to shoot or change weapon (but movement is fine). It seems to resolve itself after a few mins....but as you could imagine this random bug can wipe our groupif it happens at the wrong time for him.

I have played 20hrs now and haven't experienced it once

I know this isn't related to a performance issue, but I didnt want to post it in the OT as majority of ppl in there are on console. Anyone else come across this ?

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game is stable for me but my wife cannot stay in-game for the life of her. She played about 2 hours, then crash after crash, it would go to window mode and then drop to desktop (GTX 1070 on latest GameReady driver). Any suggestions or are we stuck waiting for a Ubi patch? My Radeon VII, my son's RX 480, and my daughter's RXT 2070 were all stable.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Game is stable for me but my wife cannot stay in-game for the life of her. She played about 2 hours, then crash after crash, it would go to window mode and then drop to desktop (GTX 1070 on latest GameReady driver). Any suggestions or are we stuck waiting for a Ubi patch? My Radeon VII, my son's RX 480, and my daughter's RXT 2070 were all stable.
I dunno why but your whole family having rigs with different cards is amazingly hilarious and cool.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
updated the nvidia driver and had no more crashes for the day. i feel derpy i didn't do it before but been awhile since i bought a big PC game at launch

though causation may not be correlation here

Last edited:

rare

Oct 25, 2017
Try doing a clean installation of the latest drivers.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

DX11 mode
Disable Uplay overlay
Disable any overclocks
Disable all other overlays (e.g. RTSS)
Close background process

If it still happens, monitor your system with a program like Afterburner and check what's happening at the moment the game crashes, see if there was some sort of spike or abnormality.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Except for the skill disappearing bug (I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with the game on my end), there has been no gameplay issues or crashes on my part on a 2080 Ti and 9900k.

However, the game does not like my headphones (plugged simply into my 3.5mm speaker port). It's as if the proverbial 'center' channel is missing. Yes, my headphones are set up as a proper 2-speaker configuration within Windows. I can fix it a little by enabling spatial sound like Windows Sonic for Headphones, but then an unnatural echo effect is introduced that's no good. No other game sounds like this on my headphones - I'll have to figure out what is up with this issue.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
When I boot the game in fullscreen, I get a black screen. I can hear audio, and interact with menus, but it's just black. Even when I disable all overlays, and delete the cfg files in My Games. The game works fine windowed, but I can't get it to work full screen. Any help?
I got this when tweaking settings in Nvidia control panels. I reset to default settings and used the generic "performance" option. Fixed the black screen issue.