• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
This Nvidea driver increase is that for DX12 modes only?
TD2 and Metro both crash a lot in DX12 so I have to run DX11 without RT and lower fps which is annoying. Up to now only BFV plays nice with RT in my 2060.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Nvidias claims are compared to the launch driver for each respective game. So if you upgrade drivers more often the improvement will be smaller.

Edit - nevermind they have edited the article and changed the numbers

I think these gains only apply to turing

Last edited:

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bumping the thread, latest Nvidia driver 436.48 seems to fix the DX12 crashes.

Standard : http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/436.48/436.48-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe
DCH : http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/436.48/436.48-desktop-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe
Release notes : http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/436.48/436.48-win10-win8-win7-release-notes.pdf

Fixed Issues in this Release
[UBOAT]: The game crashes due to memory allocation issues when launching Sandbox mode from the main menu. [2694301]
[Tom Clancyʹs The Division II]: The game may crash when played in DirectX 12 mode. [200406322]
[Vulkan-based games]: Error message appears in the game when invoking GeForce Experience Freestyle or Ansel using the hot keys. [200549987]
[Tradesmen OS3DE]: Some objects are missing in the game. [2691363]
[Cinema4D]: Brushes produce a ghosting effect. [2633267]

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now AMD needs to fix it :/

I don't think AMD had any issues, though? My VII didn't crash at all.

Oh wow, finally! Might revisit this game with the wife, she couldn't really play, at all.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought the game in the sale, what settings should I be using on my 2080 for 1440p 60fps and is dx12 still broken?

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Got this when it was on sale for $3 and I couldn't be more frustrated with the stuttering. I've long since settled for even a smooth 30fps, but no matter the settings there is a constant and unpredictable stuttering in this game.

I've tried FPS limiters in game and external, I've tried DX11 and 12, every kind of vsync imaginable, I've slammed the settings to low, I've done the registry edit for high priority CPU - nothing. Even though frames say they're locked to 30, the camera sputters and chokes any time it moves.

hardware is a 4790/1070ti, so I've got not problems making compromises here, but you'd expect running it at 1080p, even with resolution scaling to 85%, wouldn't result in this choppy nightmare.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Got this when it was on sale for $3 and I couldn't be more frustrated with the stuttering. I've long since settled for even a smooth 30fps, but no matter the settings there is a constant and unpredictable stuttering in this game.

I've tried FPS limiters in game and external, I've tried DX11 and 12, every kind of vsync imaginable, I've slammed the settings to low, I've done the registry edit for high priority CPU - nothing. Even though frames say they're locked to 30, the camera sputters and chokes any time it moves.

hardware is a 4790/1070ti, so I've got not problems making compromises here, but you'd expect running it at 1080p, even with resolution scaling to 85%, wouldn't result in this choppy nightmare.

Thats odd. I ran this game on a 4790k/1080 @ 1080p which is not a million miles away from your spec and never had this. Is your Ram profile on XMP in the bios? Are you on an SSD or mechanical?

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Thats odd. I ran this game on a 4790k/1080 @ 1080p which is not a million miles away from your spec and never had this. Is your Ram profile on XMP in the bios? Are you on an SSD or mechanical?

Not sure about the RAM, but I actually switched the game from an old HDD to an SSD and noticed no improvements. I was worried it was my CPU, but it's never over more than 30-40% in the benchmark. I'll check my bios today.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about the RAM, but I actually switched the game from an old HDD to an SSD and noticed no improvements. I was worried it was my CPU, but it's never over more than 30-40% in the benchmark. I'll check my bios today.

Do you happen to have the extended view distance and volumetric fog set to max? Pretty much anything with volumetric in the name will tank performance especially in ubisoft games.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Do you happen to have the extended view distance and volumetric fog set to max? Pretty much anything with volumetric in the name will tank performance especially in ubisoft games.

Last I ran the bench, I had fog at medium and view distance at 2. After I check the RAM, I'll put them on low and 0 respectively.

That's the weird thing though is that my performance seems stable - I've enabled the FPS overlay and rarely see it drop below 30. Usually in other games, a simple framerate limiter helps, but not this time.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Last I ran the bench, I had fog at medium and view distance at 2. After I check the RAM, I'll put them on low and 0 respectively.

That's the weird thing though is that my performance seems stable - I've enabled the FPS overlay and rarely see it drop below 30. Usually in other games, a simple framerate limiter helps, but not this time.
I assume one of those limiters is RTSS? Based on the gfx settings I mentioned it with the levels you have them set at it should not be causing you a problem. I assume you are not thermal throttling. DX11 is definitely your best bet for the API. Also the benchmark and the game are two different things. Could you try to repair or verify the launcher in your launcher? It probably wont make a difference but its just another thing off the checklist.

Is it jut this game that you experience this with?

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I assume one of those limiters is RTSS? Based on the gfx settings I mentioned it with the levels you have them set at it should not be causing you a problem. I assume you are not thermal throttling. DX11 is definitely your best bet for the API. Also the benchmark and the game are two different things. Could you try to repair or verify the launcher in your launcher? It probably wont make a difference but its just another thing off the checklist.

Is it jut this game that you experience this with?

RTSS was actually causing a blackscreen issue, so I've only successfully used either the in game limiter or the Nvidia Control Panel limiter. Even in game, I keep the fps counter on and haven't noticed it dipping when stuttering occurs.

This is the only game that stutters like this, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. I'll definitely do the repair too.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
RTSS was actually causing a blackscreen issue, so I've only successfully used either the in game limiter or the Nvidia Control Panel limiter. Even in game, I keep the fps counter on and haven't noticed it dipping when stuttering occurs.

This is the only game that stutters like this, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. I'll definitely do the repair too.
Thats odd. The nvidia should be fine though. I am not sure what else to suggest.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
PeterVenkman
Stupid suggestions maybe but have you tried on gamepad? IIRC I had something weird in one of the betas pre-release where my mouse caused stutters and there were some different theories about polling rates etc but gamepad felt totally fine.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually playing on gamepad, interestingly enough. Though I did stumble onto similar threads and tried cranking up/down mouse smoothing in a desperate attempt.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
PeterVenkman
Stupid suggestions maybe but have you tried on gamepad? IIRC I had something weird in one of the betas pre-release where my mouse caused stutters and there were some different theories about polling rates etc but gamepad felt totally fine.
The polling rate thing causing stutters is real I've had more than one friend with this issue. Dropping the polling rate fixes it