• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
The game doesn't support dynamic res like Fc5 right? It's locked to a specific res in the scaler?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Is there anything I can do to prevent Dx12 from randomly crashing? It's starting to get really frustrating, especially when it crashes in the middle of a mission. Dx11 doesn't seem to crash but it's performance is awful on my end with all the stuttering and hard freezes. Is the Dx12 issue happening because I choose to play with settings maxed out? Is it because my 3570k or 1080Ti is overclocked (despite the overclock working just fine for every other game I have. Even benchmarks)?

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything I can do to prevent Dx12 from randomly crashing? It's starting to get really frustrating, especially when it crashes in the middle of a mission. Dx11 doesn't seem to crash but it's performance is awful on my end with all the stuttering and hard freezes. Is the Dx12 issue happening because I choose to play with settings maxed out? Is it because my 3570k or 1080Ti is overclocked (despite the overclock working just fine for every other game I have. Even benchmarks)?

I've tested just about every "fix" out there for it and it's just random at this point. I was able to play for a few hours the other day without issue and suddenly the next time I boot up it's crashing non stop.

I have a 1080ti as well, and fortunately for me Dx11 runs fine.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

I have probably already posted enough about DX12 at this point but honestly I do not think there is anything we can do about it until Massive decide it needs to be investigated / fixed.

It is a long standing issue with the Snowdrop engine back from Div 1 and I do not think there is anything we can do other than to maybe prolong the duration between crashes using workarounds which have been posted in this thread

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I have probably already posted enough about DX12 at this point but honestly I do not think there is anything we can do about it until Massive decide it needs to be investigated / fixed.

It is a long standing issue with the Snowdrop engine back from Div 1 and I do not think there is anything we can do other than to maybe prolong the duration between crashes using workarounds which have been posted in this thread
DX12 crashing was never that bad in Div 1.

When it first came out the crashing issue was a problem but a couple patches in they had it for the most part fixed up. I was playing Div 1 for a couple days before Div 2 dropped and experienced no crashes at all.

It's less of a Snowdrop problem and more of a game problem.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's less of a Snowdrop problem and more of a game problem.

You could say Div 2 is running on Snowdrop 1.5 (or maybe even Snowdrop 2) with all the graphical improvements in the sequel...so whatever fixes they implemented in Div 1 may be incompatible with Div 2.

FWIW I also played a fair bit of Div 1 leading up to the release of Div 2 and experienced just as many crashes under DX12 still...so it looks like its a YMMV scenario there.

bargeparty

Oct 30, 2017
There must be some common denominator for dx12 crashes. I've had about zero, even during lengthy sessions.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems to be primarily affecting NVIDIA users, especially 10-series ones? It's very random, too, like other users said. My wife played for hours then another day, constant crashes. DX11 is slower but no crashes so far.

bargeparty

Oct 30, 2017
It seems to be primarily affecting NVIDIA users, especially 10-series ones? It's very random, too, like other users said. My wife played for hours then another day, constant crashes. DX11 is slower but no crashes so far.

Well i have a gtx 1070, so it can't just be that. Maybe windows 10 versions? Wouldn't be the first time it's screwed up something. I've been running on an older version for ages, i think 1709.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
So I tried playing in DX1, lowering some settings to somewhat help with the bad performance. The game crashed again after about an hour, again in the middle of a mission :(. This DX11/12 thing is interesting though. When it hard freezes for a second, it usually recovers again in DX11. In DX12, when this happens, it means the game is about to crash. The game still crashed eventually in DX11

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
When it hard freezes for a second, it usually recovers again in DX11. In DX12, when this happens, it means the game is about to crash. The game still crashed eventually in DX11

I noticed the exact same thing with the 1s pause...I still get it in DX11 from time to time, but like you say it doesn't crash to desktop like it does when it happens in DX12. Although for me under DX11 I get zero crashes to desktop.

I'm on a gtx1080 but seeing as though bargeparty has a 1070 with no crashes, it doesn't appear to be a NVIDIA issue. My windows version is Win10 x64 v.1709

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
My apologies if this has been mentioned, I only recently started playing and haven't been following this thread. I'm trying to play this on a 4K television but all of the text in the game is very small and very hard to read. There is a UI option for larger text but it doesn't seem to adjust the text for everything, only things in the HUD itself.

Is this a known issue? Are there any workarounds or has the dev acknowledged this? I don't think I can play this until there is a fix.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I switched to DX12 and performance has been miles better. Even the crashing has lessened!

But it still does crash.

):

Also kinda sad that i can't have YouTube open on my other monitor while I play this lol

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed today that Discord was being complete shit and I thought it was my friends' faults, but it turns out if Division 2 is the focus, they sound like shit, and if another window is the focus, even if the game's on another monitor, Discord sounds great.

The fuck?

It's like the game eats ALL my resources. No wonder YouTube runs like shit on another monitor. \:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed today that Discord was being complete shit and I thought it was my friends' faults, but it turns out if Division 2 is the focus, they sound like shit, and if another window is the focus, even if the game's on another monitor, Discord sounds great.

The fuck?

It's like the game eats ALL my resources. No wonder YouTube runs like shit on another monitor. \:
yeah the game eats the cpu, par for the course with ubisoft games

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017

The fuck?

Funnily enough my friends and I ended up moving back to mumble because of this issue with discord. If you're playing a game which is rough on the CPU like The Division 2 is, audio from discord can be choppy and cuts out randomly. Since I'm pushing my luck with an old CPU until later this year discord was practically unusable while we were playing it. I could barely understand what they were saying. It's not exclusive to The Division 2 either, I noticed it with Anthem and AC Odyssey too, two other games which are very very cpu hungry.

If your cpu has a lot of cores/threads you could try going to the affinity section of task manager and unticking one of them in the division to free up some cpu for discord to use(note: anti cheat may block this too). Otherwise the only other option is capping the framerate like the other poster suggested. Either way you're going to be affecting performance of the game though. :/

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I tried setting the FPS cap to 30 (wowee) and still no improvement there.

Friends I think I hate this fucking game!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I should buy a new CPU. But that means buying a new motherboard, I'm pretty sure. UGH.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I tried setting the FPS cap to 30 (wowee) and still no improvement there.

Friends I think I hate this fucking game!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I should buy a new CPU. But that means buying a new motherboard, I'm pretty sure. UGH.
You should just try and convince your friends to use something other than discord for voice chat tbh.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
You should just try and convince your friends to use something other than discord for voice chat tbh.
None of us are gonna pay for a server for anything else. Discord is really good. I'm not gonna blame Discord for Division 2 stealing every resource available.

Anyway I bought a new CPU. Soooo we'll see what happens when it shows up. I'll die. Been wanting to upgrade anyway, was just gonna hold off a little bit longer, but hey whatever.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
None of us are gonna pay for a server for anything else. Discord is really good. I'm not gonna blame Discord for Division 2 stealing every resource available.

Anyway I bought a new CPU. Soooo we'll see what happens when it shows up. I'll die. Been wanting to upgrade anyway, was just gonna hold off a little bit longer, but hey whatever.
I mean you don't have to pay for a server for a lot of things lol. There's loads of options. But ok.

I blame discord because it shouldn't do that. A voice chat program should have a low enough footprint and a high enough priority on the CPU that this doesn't happen. Other programs manage to do fine in this scenario.

Frankly its not like a game taking up all your CPU is a rare situation anyway.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Frankly, i don't what's working with this game. Sometimes DX12 is better, sometimes DX11 is. It crashes with both in similar ways and all the fixes tried don't really work.
It's very messy.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone elses audio cutting out a lot?

Also direct 12 seems to use the same amount of CPU for me so seems pointless. Blergh.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you don't have to pay for a server for a lot of things lol. There's loads of options. But ok.

I blame discord because it shouldn't do that. A voice chat program should have a low enough footprint and a high enough priority on the CPU that this doesn't happen. Other programs manage to do fine in this scenario.

Frankly its not like a game taking up all your CPU is a rare situation anyway.
Youtube shouldn't do that either. And yet...

Division 2 sucks up far more resources than it needs to. I have an old CPU, but I've played games at better-looking settings with much better performance. I turned Division 2 all the way to the lowest settings, everywhere I could, and it still had this problem.

This is absolutely not Discord's problem lol

Speaking of CPU priority:
Can anything be done about it? I tried setting the CPU priority to low, but it doesn't loet me. Apparently the anti cheat stuff disallows it. NICE!!!
Wonder who's at fault there? Division 2's anti-cheat software, or Discord?

This game is a fuckin' technical mess for a lot of people, if the internet is anything to go by, and these are problems that existed in Division 1 as well.

This post comes off like I'm dying on a hill defending Discord, but really, I'm just shocked anyone would defend a PC game in 2019 having this effect on other software.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Youtube shouldn't do that either. And yet...

Division 2 sucks up far more resources than it needs to. I have an old CPU, but I've played games at better-looking settings with much better performance. I turned Division 2 all the way to the lowest settings, everywhere I could, and it still had this problem.

This is absolutely not Discord's problem lol

Speaking of CPU priority:

Wonder who's at fault there? Division 2's anti-cheat software, or Discord?

This game is a fuckin' technical mess for a lot of people, if the internet is anything to go by, and these are problems that existed in Division 1 as well.

This post comes off like I'm dying on a hill defending Discord, but really, I'm just shocked anyone would defend a PC game in 2019 having this effect on other software.
Trust me I'm not defending the division 2. It runs mediocre on my CPU, most of the time it runs below 60FPS with the game randomly stuttering and has occasional other audio issues on it's own. Nor am I defending Anthem(I can't even fucking play Anthem lol) or AC Odyssey which also cause the same symptoms with discord.

I'm just saying that i disagree that discord isn't at fault too. It's a program that is made to work along side games and yet it just can't in some scenarios, where as other software manages to do voice chat fine under the same situation, such as Mumble which I swapped to, or Xbox Live chat like the other poster mentioned above.

Comparing it to watching youtube is rather silly because first of all you're watching that through a browser(chrome incidentally is another computer hog, so no shocker if that was the one you were using), so the browser determines how the audio is processed and second of all browsers don't expect you to be running games at the same time as using them, unlike discord. Hell, browsers playing media have their own issues anyway on Nvidia unrelated(not sure about amd) due to the 144hz monitor with 60hz second monitor bug. I often get stutters if I try that, so I end up using the Youtube app or Twitch app on my tv instead.

As for complaining about the anti cheat, well you can spin that another way too, did you know the other solution would be to turn the priority of discord up to High? Except you can't do that either because of the way discord spawns processes. It works for about a minute or two before it swaps back to normal priority and the audio has issues again.
Anyone elses audio cutting out a lot?

Also direct 12 seems to use the same amount of CPU for me so seems pointless. Blergh.
I get the same issues with audio.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Trust me I'm not defending the division 2. It runs mediocre on my CPU, most of the time it runs below 60FPS with the game randomly stuttering and has occasional other audio issues on it's own. Nor am I defending Anthem(I can't even fucking play Anthem lol) or AC Odyssey which also cause the same symptoms with discord.

I'm just saying that i disagree that discord isn't at fault too. It's a program that is made to work along side games and yet it just can't in some scenarios, where as other software manages to do voice chat fine under the same situation, such as Mumble which I swapped to, or Xbox Live chat like the other poster mentioned above.

Comparing it to watching youtube is rather silly because first of all you're watching that through a browser(chrome incidentally is another computer hog, so no shocker if that was the one you were using), so the browser determines how the audio is processed and second of all browsers don't expect you to be running games at the same time as using them, unlike discord. Hell, browsers playing media have their own issues anyway on Nvidia unrelated(not sure about amd) due to the 144hz monitor with 60hz second monitor bug. I often get stutters if I try that, so I end up using the Youtube app or Twitch app on my tv instead.

As for complaining about the anti cheat, well you can spin that another way too, did you know the other solution would be to turn the priority of discord up to High? Except you can't do that either because of the way discord spawns processes. It works for about a minute or two before it swaps back to normal priority and the audio has issues again.

I get the same issues with audio.
I play all sorts of PC games and this is literally the only time I've ever had trouble with Discord. Or watching YouTube (I tried three different browsers out of curiosity and desperation) on another monitor. Or any other wide variety of things.

Nevermind the abundance of other technical issues I have with the game! Rampant crashing. Environments loading so slow I can't even play with my friends because I don't have the stairs physics object to climb up and follow them in a goddamn online game. Network lag that prevents me from moving past an invisible wall until after half a minute some friendly NPCs patrolling the middle of the street finally pop in.

Discord might have its own problems, but... In this case? If the game is the unique variable while I'm experiencing the issue, I'm not going to blame the app that's always worked.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I play all sorts of PC games and this is literally the only time I've ever had trouble with Discord. Or watching YouTube (I tried three different browsers out of curiosity and desperation) on another monitor. Or any other wide variety of things.

Nevermind the abundance of other technical issues I have with the game! Rampant crashing. Environments loading so slow I can't even play with my friends because I don't have the stairs physics object to climb up and follow them in a goddamn online game. Network lag that prevents me from moving past an invisible wall until after half a minute some friendly NPCs patrolling the middle of the street finally pop in.

Discord might have its own problems, but... In this case? If the game is the unique variable while I'm experiencing the issue, I'm not going to blame the app that's always worked.
I mean sure you wouldn't at first, but you're basically defending discord in light of me pointing out this issue affects more games than just the division 2 and other voice chat applications are fine with the division. That's what's baffling to me. By all means complain about how mediocre The Division 2 runs, go ahead, I agree. That doesn't suddenly absolve discord of any blame too.

They're both at fault, but you seem to be dying on this hill defending Discord when there's not really any good reason to. I like discord, I still use it a lot, but I think it's implementation of voice chat has it's issues. Thus my friends and I have moved back to Mumble for voice chat and haven't had any voice chat issues with The Division 2, Anthem or AC Odyssey since.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Even with gsync it was stuttery as shit, so I've locked it to 40. Might up it to 45.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I mean sure you wouldn't at first, but you're basically defending discord in light of me pointing out this issue affects more games than just the division 2 and other voice chat applications are fine with the division. That's what's baffling to me. By all means complain about how mediocre The Division 2 runs, go ahead, I agree. That doesn't suddenly absolve discord of any blame too.

They're both at fault, but you seem to be dying on this hill defending Discord when there's not really any good reason to. I like discord, I still use it a lot, but I think it's implementation of voice chat has it's issues. Thus my friends and I have moved back to Mumble for voice chat and haven't had any voice chat issues with The Division 2, Anthem or AC Odyssey since.
Shrug.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
I couldn't understand why my game had micro stutter all-of-a-sudden. I then realised it had started in windowed fullscreen not fullscreen for some reason. The game has a tendency of altering your settings which is bloody annoying.
As for crashes, yeah I've had a few in DX12 but the performance is too good to change. I've read there may be a memory leak in the game. I know that after several hours (if I haven't crashed) I will start getting random fps drops and hitching.
I'm trying to see if reducing extra detail streaming to 0 has any effect on crashes as I has read of someone saying it fixed it for them.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I'm on a GTX1070 i have those 1 second lags, where my GPU frequency drops down etc, but the game does not crash.
I now changed back to DX11. Will that help me? Or will i still encounter the lags and the difference between DX11 and DX12 is just the potential of crashes and framerate?

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
so ive been seeing something weird that i only experience in this game. once in a while ill hear one of my hdds spin up (d2 is NOT installed to this drive btw) and ill completely lose control of my character for the 5 or so seconds it takes for that hdd to spin up. game continues to run, its just that my inputs arent registered.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I had to just accept it and turn down to DX11. I lose 10fps, but the improvements to stability are through the roof.

Also completely removed all my hitching and stuttering. Game is almost perfectly smooth now. I hope this gets addressed somehow in future.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
So i put the newest driver in and it's absolutely destroyed the game. I was getting 80+fps. Now it flounders horribly between 33fps and 65fps. Utterly broke. My game settings are the same and there's nothing in the NCP that I altered. Don't install driver 419.67.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So apparently the stutters and DX12 crashes are related to EasyAntiCheat? Setting EAC's so 1 thread/ 1 core only after the game starts is a solution to a lot of people on the official TD2 Reddit.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I had to just accept it and turn down to DX11. I lose 10fps, but the improvements to stability are through the roof.

Also completely removed all my hitching and stuttering. Game is almost perfectly smooth now. I hope this gets addressed somehow in future.
Same for me. Hope the next patch fixes that. I'm often sub 60 fps on 1440p custom ultra. 75 is what I aim for and possible on DX12

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
So for some reason changing the driver made the game use Sli even though I've been using it before and Afterburner never shows the game in Sli. Not only that but when I re-installed 419.35 it still had Sli in the OSD. Weird. Maybe 419.67 works but it did something funky to my Sli properties.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
Is this for sure a RAM issue? I mean the recommended settings by Ubisoft say 8GB of RAM for 1080p/60.

I'm running the high preset and I'm averaging 60-70fps, but I'm getting terrible stuttering too.

i5 3570k @ 4.2Ghz
RX 570 8GB @ 1385/2025 (upped to 1400/2025)
8GB DDR3 1600
So the stutters I was getting in DX12 mode were definitely due to a lack of RAM. I just upgraded to 16GB and the stutters are completely gone in DX12 mode. And I'm fortunately able to play without any crashing. Game runs so much better in DX12 mode.

Checked MSI Afterburner after about an hour of playtime and the game used over 10GB of RAM.

I didn't get any stuttering in DX11 mode, so DX12 mode must use considerably more system RAM.

Idan27081

Jan 1, 2019
Today I tried all the "solutions" for DX12 CTDs and my game crashed 5 seconds before I completed a mission!
Back to DX11 then...Hoping for a fix soon.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Small advice, make sure your vmemory (pager file) is set to the right hard drive. I had stuttes and my HDD went crazy after playing division 2 for a bit. The game is installed on my SSD after some googling i found my problem. Windows wasnt using my SSD it was using a HDD for virtual memory. I changed it in my advanced settings, swapping the pager file should also do the trick. Stutters are gone since. Hope this will help somebody

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I was getting freeses every so often and the game having to catch up for a moment but I was having a spotless 3 hour session yesterday, it's really inconsistent and hard to pin down what's causing it.

The fuck?

This issue drove me and my friend nuts as well, we tried everything.

pointing nvidia processing to the GPU instead of CPU, messing with the in-game VOIP settings, changing the windows audio device settings, reinstalled my game on a different SSD, starting discord in admin mode, disabling all overlay's both uplay and discord etc. Nothing worked and discord would just not let our conversation through, sometime we cut out, have robo voices or something nothing could get through. It was so annoying, we had to switch to Skype for the Division, skype has a humming but at least we can talk.

Last edited:

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I was getting freeses every so often and the game having to catch up for a moment but I was having a spotless 3 hour session yesterday, it's really inconsistent and hard to pin down what's causing it.

That says to me that it must be something that's server-side. I had a flawless session the other night, locked 60fps in 1080p for about 2 hours. Jumped on later the same day and it was hitching, frame rates were jumping between 40 and high 50s, freezes and crashes. Nothing had changed in my setup at all...

Running a Ryzen 7 1700 @3.9, RTX 2060 and 16GB RAM.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Small advice, make sure your vmemory (pager file) is set to the right hard drive. I had stuttes and my HDD went crazy after playing division 2 for a bit. The game is installed on my SSD after some googling i found my problem. Windows wasnt using my SSD it was using a HDD for virtual memory. I changed it in my advanced settings, swapping the pager file should also do the trick. Stutters are gone since. Hope this will help somebody

I also have it installed on SSD and am experiencing stutters! Will try this! Thank you!