• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

TwitLonger — When you talk too much for Twitter

TwitLonger is the easy way to post more than 140 characters to Twitter

Ive kept the rest of the details out of the headline if people wish to wait for the actual stream to see them, but its all listed down below:

Setting:
Experience the story of Basim, a cunning street thief seeking answers and justice as he navigates the bustling streets of ninth-century Baghdad. Through a mysterious, ancient organization known as the Hidden Ones, he will become a deadly Master Assassin and change his fate in ways he never could have imagined

Features:
- Experience a modern take on the iconic features and gameplay that have defined a franchise for 15 years.
- Parkour seamlessly through the city and stealthily take down targets with more visceral assassinations than ever before.
- Explore an incredibly dense and vibrant city whose inhabitants react to your every move, and uncover the secrets of four unique districts as you venture through the Golden Age of Baghdad.

Cross Generation release with a free upgrade:
If you already own the PS4™ version of this game, you can get the PS5™ digital version at no extra cost and you do not need to purchase this product. Owners of a PS4™ disc copy must insert it into the PS5™ every time they want to download or play the PS5™ digital version. PS4™ game disc owners who buy the PS5™ Digital Edition disc-free console will not be able to get the PS5™ version at no extra cost.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Bring it back

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is this the game that started life as Valhalla DLC?

If so it makes sense that it would be cross gen

At least that means 60fps is guaranteed

Also love a free upgrade

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Is this the game that started life as Valhalla DLC?

If so it makes sense that it would be cross gen

At least that means 60fps is guaranteed

Also love a free upgrade
Yep, exactly why cross-gen shouldn't be a surprise. It's the Valhalla engine, so why not? The game will have started off with a lot of asset re-use from Valhalla no doubt, and a lot of the new assets created while this was intended as DLC will have been targeted to Valhalla's detail level.

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Bring it back

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Sadly I dont think it'll be close to Unity, it is still a game initially made to be a DLC, so it most likely still relies on the same technologies and some animations of Valhalla.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Honestly, I'm putting a lot of hope in this week's Ubisoft Forward, there's a high chance they'll show exactly what I want to see.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sadly I dont think it'll be close to Unity, it is still a game initially made to be a DLC, so it most likely still relies on the same technologies and some animations of Valhalla.
*inhales some copium* it's still the same engine as Unity (there are videos on YT of early concepts of Origins with Unity's HUD and Arno as the PC) so it probably wouldn't be very hard for them to re-implement the Unity parkour mechanics.

I don't expect this to be good, though I'd love to be surprised. The description sounds interesting (nothing I want more than an AC without the RPG mechanics, they were okay-ish in AC2-Black Flag since they were essentially just gating mechanisms for later-game enemies) but I don't trust modern Ubisoft to wow me like they used to.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
I can't believe we're still seeing cross gen titles 3 years after the console launch.

It's ridiculous.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Cross Gen….boooo. A dense city was my second biggest want…. So that'sa plus. Tired of all that nothingness between areas.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
*inhales some copium* it's still the same engine as Unity (there are videos on YT of early concepts of Origins with Unity's HUD and Arno as the PC) so it probably wouldn't be very hard for them to re-implement the Unity parkour mechanics.
I think it would still be a considerable amount of work, but it's not like Assassin's Creed are low effort rush jobs. I hope they wanted and have reimplemented the brilliant climibing mechanics of Unity. The fact that they emphasise the parcours and the large city, I have some hope.

I can't believe we're still seeing cross gen titles 3 years after the console launch.

It's ridiculous.
I have no next gen console and no money for it either, so I welcome this. It is also not comparable to the junk they released on old consoles last time (thinking e.g. of Middle Earth...)

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
they arent bringing back unitys input laggy parkour

they can still make it better though, its not like they forgot how to do it, its just that when you have games that are mostly scenery, it wasnt exactly required

Oct 30, 2017
My most and properly only AC game I'm excited for.

It's ridiculous.
lol what?

It will be two years this November and by the time the game released two years and few months.

This has always been the case for all the previews generations for many games.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I am incredibly interested in a SMALLER, non-RPG take on AC.

Will definitely be following this one.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
My most and properly only AC game I'm excited for.

lol what?

It will be two years this November and by the time the game released two years and few months.

This has always been the case for all the previews generations for many games.

In the same franchise, Unity was PS4/One only and launched around a year after console launch. They should have done the same this time, even more when Valhalla was cross gen.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Fucking cross gen, again...

star-trek-facepalm.gif

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the same franchise, Unity was PS4/One only and launched around a year after console launch. They should have done the same this time, even more when Valhalla was cross gen.

Why would they? Ubisoft has been doing whatever they can to milk every last ounce of money out of their games in the recent years. No reason for them to release a current-gen exclusive game where the world's economy is in deep shit, inflation everywhere, and in many places you still can't just buy a next-gen console because everything is sold out.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
Did anyone seriously expect Ubisoft of all companies to say goodbye to all of those last gen sales yet?

SUPER curious if this is gonna have parkour on par with the older titles or the RPGs. I mean, it would assume it has to be the old style based on everything else we know about the game. Guess we'll see soon. Pretty excited.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Sounds amazing, finally we're going back to a big city with parkour-focused traversal. YES

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Agree with the sentiment on cross-gen. Hope it's good, but its Valhalla origins don't fill me with hope.

Definitely curious about Infinity's Red (Japan) and Neo/Hexe

Last edited:

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed by cross gen, but the "back to basics" of the series sounds very good to me. Finally excited to see a new AC, after years of note caring (since Syndicate).

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
It hasn't even been two years yet and this started as Valhalla DLC, so it completely makes sense for it to be crossgen.

It will be more than 2 years, probably around 2.5 when the game releases..

What's the point of next gen consoles if there's no next gen games?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

You can play the game at higher fidelity and framerate, otherwise not possible on last gen.

But, if that isnt enough, then why buy a console BEFORE exclusive games are out?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

There are next gen games.

You're also ignoring the fact that this was originally meant to be DLC for the previous game and you're not taking into consideration the huge impact that COVID and supply chain issues had on the launch of this gen.

This gen will be around for a while. You'll be seeing many more current gen only games coming.

It's fine. Really.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
It's the most ambitious AC game Ubisoft has ever done. At least they tried then. They're trying nothing now.
I'd say Origins was more ambitious, but OK 🤷‍♂️

Point was, though, that Unity was a rushed technical mess. We'll get next-gen only AC games, they'll just be longer.

Valhalla was crossgen and already looked really nice. With this being smaller scale, it could look better.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
Cross gen is disappointing, but expected to be fair
Description sounds good, but I don't trust modern day Ubisoft capable of creating something as good as unity

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Music to my ears. I can't wait to dive into another sprawling city, which is alongside parkour and infiltration what makes AC games great imo. I hope they nail it.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know this and it bums me out. Hoping the other games will be more suited to what I'm looking for but I'm open to this swaying me. I just want AC more focused again.

Maroon Cat

Jul 9, 2022
Unity's parkour was a treat to look at but it's something I would never want to play with again. It was unwieldy, over-animated, and delayed.

I would settle for some semblance to the classic parkour mechanics. It was simple and automated, but it hit a decent balance between satisfying kinetic climbing and prioritizing functionality and player-options over spectacles. Wall-ejects, for example, was something players could comfortably input during a wall-run. But after Revelations we had to input-buffer them (diminishing their point) and pre-calculate too many situations. In the modern games, we only have drop-ejects which don't offer any height elevation or distance -- often time prioritizing lower platforms than nearby ledges 3-5 meters away at our height.

youtu.be

If Parkour in Assassin's Creed Mirage isn't this Good I'm not Buying It

Alternative title: I will not be buying AC Mirage lol

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Thing is I wouldn't mind the rpg mechanics still in place if they were implemented well but never have been. The loot was useless and there was a lot of grindiness involved to upgrade materials for weapons and armor in Valhalla. Also it was too easy to get powerful very quickly even on normal. I shouldn't have to scale the difficulty based on level.
The combat in general was also very repetitive and a lot of useless abilities that used your charge meter where you were just better off hacking and slashing as it was quicker.
It had the Horizon FW problem of the healing potions being a band aid to a combat system where you could get attacked from all directions.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I am. And the first step is release a Valhalla DLC as a stand alone cross gen game. That's not what I was expecting for a new AC game in 2023.

It's being released as a standalone game because the scope became larger.

But it would make no logical sense at all to cancel the last gen version at that point. The game was never going to become something that can only be done on current gen consoles, no matter what.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Really using Unity isn't a positive here lol
GS0Zrd2.gif

The bugs we numerous, it became a joke and ubisoft issued an apology along with a major update to try and fix the broken mess.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Cross gen was expected given that this started off as a Valhalla DLC. Probably would not have had enough time to retool the game to have it take advantage of the hardware.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, sounds more and more like a skip to me. Hope the other things rumoured at this AC Showcase are a lot more interesting

Oct 28, 2017
I am excited by the prospect of a more traditional AC game. I loved Origins, liked Odyssey and thought Valhalla was super boring.