• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
One of the titles is Jedi Fallen 2, and it will be revealed at Star Wars Celebration in May 2022 and with another trailer at E3 2022 or an EA summer showcase.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Massive L RE: Battlefront 3

Both titles were a total blast after a year of updates… a 3rd game that got it right at launch would have been amazing.

Cool about more SP though I guess, game for whatever after Fallen Order

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds like a polite way of saying Lucasfilm/Disney was not receptive and may have give them an unreasonable rate. Given the recent branching out of Star wars games away from EA exclusivity, I don't think it was a matter of costs alone. a business decision was made by Disney.

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for the 2030 reboot titled simply "Battlefront" and then the 2033 sequel "Battlefront 2" which won't be confusing at all.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
EA should have kept BF2 going. It became a really fun game by the end. Still pissed that they killed it before the devs got to add Ahsoka.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Sad panda. Battlefront 2 turned into something special.

Hopefully Battlefront 3 will happen at some point.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
I am surprised Disney is so loose with the Star Wars franchise. Maybe what they mean by 2 projects in development at EA is they are still in proof of concept.

From what I remember, there was an article published stating many Star Wars projects are in development. If I had to guess, Disney is casting a wide net here.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Big sad :( Despite content issues at launch I really loved Battlefront 1, and grew to love battlefront 2 after updates. Was excited to have BF3 be a great game from launch

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Battlefront 3 is cursed I guess. It's a shame. I wonder what DICE is doing 5 years from now or if they are just folded into something else.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I gotta be honest, do we NEED a Battlefront 3?

Battlefront 2 looks and runs amazing and has insane amount of content

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Could this mean that BF3 will be made in house or with another company?

Doesn't seem crazy

Unless Chapek is veering hard from Iger's policy, big doubt. Iger wanted nothing to do with in-house development and wanted to purely license. Chapek is an even bigger penny pincher so I doubt he reverses course.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When Star Wars Episode 10 comes out, a new Battlefront will emerge to launch with it.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think 2 was very good, so no love lost. Give me that scrapped version that had battles leading into space or whatever it was

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I imagine they don't currently see the need for a new Battlefront since outside licensing costs, there isn't much more they could add with what has been incorporated into BF2.

BF3 feels like something you'd save for when the new movie comes out so you can draw from that.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All I want is Battlefront with land to space combat :(

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Battlefront 3 would've been a banger with the stuff that was learned from 2 and how 2 ended up being great by the end, seeing 3 start off like that would've been awesome

Who knows if it would've actually kept on the same path or not, but I wanted to see what came of it

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
So where did most of DICE go? Because that's where I'll follow.

I thought I read a studio was created for some game... but I don't think they all went there.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
I mean it makes sense that they are thinking about the next Battlefield, but maybe spend a bit more time finishing 2042 first

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
That's a shame. I didn't play the first Battlefront from Dice, but I loved 2 and thought it was up there with the original games.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I love Battlefront and I would've been pretty excited if a third game was happening, but it feels like Star Wars is in a weird spot with some of its popularity waning a bit from movies. So I can understand EA not wanting to greenlight it right now. Not to mention DICE seems to be struggling between Battlefront 2, BFV, and 2042. It's probably for the best. Maybe try again when the next SW movies are on the way. Plus the prospect of more single player SW games is more exciting anyways.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Bummer but makes sense. Why put Dice to work on a Battlefront game when Battlefield sells more, they have complete creative freedom, and they don't have to pay licensing?

Does have me curious if the Battlefront license/IP is up for grabs in general then. Would be comic if another publisher picked it up; give it to Massive at Ubisoft, or The Coalition.

Last edited:

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Battlefront 2 was a solid balance/bug patch away from being truly amazing. I hate that further updates died for 2042, especially with how that game has launched :/.

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
Shame that Battlefront 2 had to die for 2042, looks like we will never get a true Battlefront 3

Skid 4

Jan 18, 2018
I feel like Battlefront 3 will happen still. I'm glad it's not happening yet, better chance of it being Next Gen only.

Oct 29, 2017
I gotta be honest, do we NEED a Battlefront 3?

Battlefront 2 looks and runs amazing and has insane amount of content
Yes, we do. It has some jank here and there, some weapons and classes badly need balancing, and the multiplayer is littered with hackers nowadays.

If they're not gonna give it a last hurrah with a big patch, Battlefront 3 is needed.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I find most incredible about this is how opposed to SP games EA was back then and now they have like 3 of them on the pipeline and chose to pass on a MP only title!

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Sad to hear it. Battlefront II wound up being a really good shooter, lots of fun to play. I would've loved to see what they could have done with a third game that took what they learned from the first two games and refined it.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Is paying the license for Battlefront 3 more expensive than 2 more single player games? Or I guess EA are waiting to see how the games do before deciding if they want to do more games.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
What I find most incredible about this is how opposed to SP games EA was back then and now they have like 3 of them on the pipeline and chose to pass on a MP only title!
It kills me that Visceral was axed and we missed out on Ragtag (which sounded great) because of their BS single player is dead stance only to reverse course 2 years later.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017

It was probably inevitable.

Publishers were like, "Holy SHIT, live service online games are *where it's at* for printing insane amounts of money..."
::major publishers all pivot to making GaaS online games
"Oh wait... people can only play like one of these at a time, and the rest of them all bomb"
Then that combined with outcry of people asking for more SP games and decrying the absolute deluge of GaaS stuff.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Really no need for a BF3, but I wish we had a couple of more updates to BF2.

Is BF2 still very active? Like would I have any trouble finding players for all the modes?

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are seeing the Lemons here, instead of the good that comes from this news:

This is one less excuse for 2143 to not be made - It can't be cannibalizing Battlefront's "Sci Fi Battlefield" slot if Battlefront isn't a thing anymore.

...Though unfortunately the current state of DICE and/or the "Gamechangers" at EA Design-By-Committee'ing their output leaves it up in the air of if a 2143 would be any good.

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Is paying the license for Battlefront 3 more expensive than 2 more single player games? Or I guess EA are waiting to see how the games do before deciding if they want to do more games.
The license was too much for Battlefront 3 but not two single player games?
One of the two Single Player games is most likely Fallen Order 2, which started development just after Fallen Order 1 shipped 2 years ago, and the other could've been greenlit at any point as well, so costs might've changed and/or EA changed their minds on how much is worth to pay for the license.