• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR

Depending on the details of the agreement, it may be that Call Of Duty games can arrive early/only on Sony services (as happened with MW 1 and 2 Remstered and Black Ops 3 and 4 on PS Plus)

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Aren't these typically just for marketing and previously DLC? Don't see how that would prevent the games from being on GamePass

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Yea his math is off lol
No it's not. He's saying nothing will change until at least 2025's COD. Unless they plan to release two CODs in 2024 one with Sony marketing deal and one without?

2026 is used in case COD really does become a bi-annual franchise, Microsoft won't have full control of it until 2025 or 2026. However, I suspect Microsoft will push for a new COD in 2025 to get the day one action started.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Hope this deal doesn't prevent the games from hitting Gamepass til 2025 / 2026, if so MS should pay the money to back out of the deal.

I mean I assume all the previous titles will hit which will be a boon in itself. But even if that means you can't do that years newest title till the deal is done, that's fine because MS would still be making bank from the CoD titles regardless

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I assume all the previous titles will hit which will be a boon in itself. But even if that means you can't do that years newest title till the deal is done, that's fine because MS would still be making bank from the CoD titles regardless
MS will defintely find a way to get all those CoD games on GP sooner rather than later and as you said either way they make money off the IP.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
No it's not. He's saying nothing will change until at least 2025's COD. Unless they plan to release two CODs in 2024 one with Sony marketing deal and one without?

2026 is used in case COD really does become a bi-annual franchise, Microsoft won't have full control of it until 2025 or 2026. However, I suspect Microsoft will push for a new COD in 2025 to get the day one action started.
Its the next 3 games

So MW2 and Warzone 2 this year and whatever they drop next year. Cause they are dropping a game next year

So 2024 is when Microsoft will have it. Not 2025/2026

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Its the next 3 games

So MW2 and Warzone 2 this year and whatever they drop next year. Cause they are dropping a game next year

So 2024 is when Microsoft will have it. Not 2025/2026
www.bloomberg.com

Activision to Delay Next Yearā€™s Planned Call of Duty Game

Activision Blizzard Inc. will delay a Call of Duty game that had been planned for next year, the first time the franchise will be without an annual mainline release in nearly two decades, according to people familiar with the plan.

Warzone 2 is also reported to come out next year, not this year.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - Youā€™re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
No way the deal prevents legacy COD games from coming to Game Pass right?

2024 would be 10 years since Microsoft last had COD marketing. A whole decade of PlayStation branding, more than Xbox had before

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
No way the deal prevents legacy COD games from coming to Game Pass right?

2024 would be 10 years since Microsoft last had COD marketing. A whole decade of PlayStation branding, more than Xbox had before
Doubt it for legacy COD games. If it's anything like the Capcom deal, Sony just has right of first refusal for one year. But who knows, maybe these multi-game deals are more extensive and the right last multiple years.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is am very sure MS will honour the Sony marketing agreement with CoD. Unless Sony specifically said something about no gamepass, i don't see why MS won't do something. Let Sony plaster new CoD all over the place.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
www.bloomberg.com

Activision Blizzard Inc. will delay a Call of Duty game that had been planned for next year, the first time the franchise will be without an annual mainline release in nearly two decades, according to people familiar with the plan.

I still think they release something alongside Warzone 2 next year. Even if its a remaster of a old COD.

OP
OP
nolifebr

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
www.bloomberg.com

MWII - 2022
WZII - 2023
Treyarch - 2024

Which means that Microsoft could do whatever they want with new games only when the marketing for the 2025 game begins.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
time to unsubscribe from Game Pass so that Phil Spencer learns a lesson.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS will undoubtedly get these games on Gamepass once the deal is closed. They can still honour the marketing deal (exclusive association of a brand to a console) and launch day 1 on GP. The marketing wording is boilerplate wording used on most contracts (Zhuge confirmed) which I doubt Sony would take action on if MS went ahead.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
MS will undoubtedly get these games on Gamepass once the deal is closed. They can still honour the marketing deal (exclusive association of a brand to a console) and launch day 1 on GP. The marketing wording is boilerplate wording used on most contracts (Zhuge confirmed) which I doubt Sony would take action on if MS went ahead.
No company will ever pay 10s of millions of dollars for marketing just for the game to launch on a competing service before theirs.

Maybe if Microsoft agrees to launch it on PS+ day one as well?

Liquid

Banned
Sep 13, 2021
Doubt it for legacy COD games. If it's anything like the Capcom deal, Sony just has right of first refusal for one year. But who knows, maybe these multi-game deals are more extensive and the right last multiple years.
I assume the CoD deal is way more strict than the RE8 one, considering it's multiyear deal and not game by game case. Shouldn't affect legacy CoD tho, but it's not like many people play them.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't these typically just for marketing and previously DLC? Don't see how that would prevent the games from being on GamePass

Absolutely nobody here knows what these contracts entail outside of very broad generalities, but people will surely chime in to tell us what the specifics of the contracts are what these companies can and cannot do.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Absolutely nobody here knows what these contracts entail outside of very broad generalities, but people will surely chime in to tell us what the specifics of the contracts are what these companies can and cannot do.
I need to see the fine print line that Sony wrote up 6 years ago that very clearly says "NO GAMEPASS"

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
We've seen examples and have had industry experts comment on those examples saying they're standard practice.

I'd gladly eat my hat if somehow this marketing deal, that Sony spent probably hundreds of millions on, allowed Activision to turn around and grab a Game Pass bag especially without giving Sony the right of first refusal.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
For the next 3-4 years.

Interesting.

Yup, every single time, lol.

Yeah, think I said that like five months ago.
As always, one of the few I sit up and pay attention to when they chime in on topics.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
The MS deal isn't closing any time soon anyway, so this probably doesn't concern MS too much imo.