• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
playstation-5-fd-1920x1080-1.jpg

The PlayStation 5 is set to get a unique overhaul in the middle of FY 2023, with the new console launching around September 2023, say sources.

Sources familiar with Sony's plans have shared details under the condition of anonymity outlining the next iteration of the PlayStation 5. It's been suggested that this new console will completely replace the A, B, and C chassis that have been in production since the console's launch.

The console, currently named the D chassis PlayStation 5, will have almost identical hardware to the existing consoles already on the market.

The most surprising new feature of the new this new PS5 though, is that the console will have a detachable disk drive. The detachable disc drive will be connected to the PlayStation 5 using an extra USB-C port on the back of the console.

It's understood that this new PlayStation 5 console will be sold on its own, or, in a bundle with the detachable disc drive. It's also understood that the disc drives can also be purchased separately, so, if it gets busted, there's no need to buy an entirely new console.

Sources have implied that although the new detachable disc drive is portable, it will not ruin the aesthetics of the console and will attach to it without looking external, presumably meaning the new PlayStation 5 will look similar to the existing model.

insider-gaming.com

Sony to Launch New PlayStation 5 With a Detachable Disc Drive, Sources Suggest - Insider Gaming

The new PlayStation 5 will have a new detaching dics drive that can be bought separately from the console, sources suggest.

Last edited:

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
butwhy.jpg

Edit: Surely this just means they're producing a disc drive for digi owners that anyone can use and not a specific disc-add on console only?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is good. I wish the Series S had that. Unfortunate that it will look the same. I was hoping it'd get a blockier, modular appearance. Maybe you could stack the drive on top. But lol I guess not.

It's a good idea though, particularly because the current production split between the DE and regular seems extraneous - produce one SKU and bundle in or sell separately an external disc drive. Make only one production line and It could also cut costs - hopefully for the consumer!

Last edited:

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
This sounds great!

I don't really use discs anymore, but it's nice to have the option to use them if I decide I want to. Bonus points if I can use it as an external 4K BD-rom drive for my desktop and laptop.

nicoreese

Jan 18, 2018
Makes sense. So every PS5 is going to be digital, making it just one SKU. If you want, you can the drive separately or in a bundle.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I have the feeling this is the first step towards the PS6 being digital-only by default and eventually the phasing out of physical media

Oct 27, 2017
But why? When would you need to detach your disc drive? And it sounds like you can only use it for this specific model, not for the existing ones (ie. the digital only model) so...what's the point?

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
This could be how disc based consoles are sold going forward? Like I could see this being the standard for next gen

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Man, I called this. We're going to get detachable drives next generation for people who want to play their PS4/PS5 games but the console itself won't support PS6 physical games.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Y'know, I'd assumed that Xbox would be first to release a console with a disc drive add-on, although in that case it would be for maintaining backwards compatability. This looks like easing people into a strictly digital only PS6.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
This is good. I wish the Series S had that. Unfortunate that it will look the same. I was hoping it'd get a blockier, modular appearance. Maybe you could stack the drive on top. But lol I guess not.
I've often wondered why this isn't a thing for the s, but I suppose it is a lack of USB ports or something?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
That's pretty neat. It gives digital-only owners an option should they ever need it, and allows physical buyers to just replace the drive if it ever breaks.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
My PS5 disc drive sounds like it's gonna die last few months. It's my only 4K BD player, so fearing that.

Wish PS5 was like this from the start so could just replace the disc drive. I wonder if the disc drives in PS5 have a higher rate of failure than normal if they're doing this.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
Being able to easily replace a faulty disc-drive on a console seems pretty useful. I say: go for it

Terranigma

Oct 27, 2017
So basically like the Xbox 360 HD-DVD addon from back then. ( of course with the added benefit this will play game discs)

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, a modular PS5 that can utilise a PS3 drive/hardware accessory!?

That would be lovely. Do it for PS1 and PS2 as well.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
But why? When would you need to detach your disc drive? And it sounds like you can only use it for this specific model, not for the existing ones (ie. the digital only model) so...what's the point?

This will streamline production. Instead of producing two different PS5s, they can just produce one and then you can add on the optical drive if you need it. I don't like the direction it's heading in, but it makes total sense why they would do this.

Jul 1, 2020
I would hope that the detachable disc drive is compatible with the existing PS5 Digital console. I'd probably buy one for the extra flexability.