• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
www.ign.com

Tom Holland Says Uncharted Has a Solution to the Video Game Movie Problem - IGN

Tom Holland says Uncharted has a solution to the video game movie problem.

"I think what Uncharted offers that most video games films don't is that it's an origin story to the games," Holland told IGN. "So if you played the games, you haven't seen what's going to happen in the film. And if you haven't played the games, you're going to enjoy the film because it's information that everyone else is getting at the same time. But I'm super excited to make that movie and it's been a long time coming."

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I have read like 4 or 5 different drafts of this throughout the years, and unless it's a super recent thing, they absolutely do not lol.

They've had like a dozen (pretty good) writers work on it, and you can really feel it.

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
can't have the video game movie problem if the video game movie never gets made

source.gif

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sigh

Make Sly Cartoon, Jak Cartoon, Gravity Rush anime, Siren netflix series, Twisted Metal and Resistance series instead...

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
who played Uncharted and thought....u know what. I need a 15 yr old baby faced british kid to play Nathan Drake

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
has the dude played Uncharted 3 or 4
I thought we got a lot of origin in Uncharted 4?
There's like two games that already explicitly cover an origin point
I must have imagined those origin story bits in the game.
Where is he saying there's no origin story beats in the games?
I must be reading something wrong lol.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Why would someone make a movie based on a video game Indiana Jones knockoff instead of just using Indiana Jones as a template to make their knockoff?

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
When is this movie planing to come out ? At this pace, Tom will end up playing Sully instead of Nate.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
I mean, considering what the games are about it's not hard to connect the dots.

While I agree , a story with a focus on an unexperienced Nate learning from Sully could work well if done right and would be different then the usually Nate in his prime while Sully's in his " I'm too old for this shit" era.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
The movie is going to link the Uncharted universe to TLoU universe somehow. Main baddy opens the macguffin and releases the spores. That'll put butts in seats.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
So is Holland playing a teenage or pre-teen boy? Then the sequel we'll get another actor for a grown man?

Puddington

Nov 2, 2017
The video game movie problem is that they're adaptations of video games that ripped off movies. So the movies end up being rip offs of rip offs.

I'd feel a lot more confident if he had said that they're gonna rip off the (good) Indy movies.

Last edited:

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The only "problem" video game movies have, is adhering to the wrong parts of the games.

People just want to see a swashbuckling adventure tale with Nathan Drake and Sully, and the basic outlines of what those characters are like. They don't want to see an adaptation of anything from the games. They don't wan't a "first person" camera section, like the DOOM movie had.

It's really not that difficult. Take the setting, the broad strokes of the characters, and tell an original story. You can even toss out or rearrange "canonical" events from the games if you want - people won't care if the movie is ultimately good.

In the case of Uncharted it's even more ridiculous, because Drake is basically just Indiana Jones. The film template already exists.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Oh yes because 3 and 4 give you all of Nates past with Sully. While 3 shows us their introduction we have very little story on what these guys did for years together.
If the movie is anything like the games, there's gonna be more epic retcons like with Uncharted 4. Yay! Drake had a secret sister, and his great grandfather had a vault filled with lost treasures.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
If the movie is anything like the games, there's gonna be more epic retcons like with Uncharted 4. Yay! Drake had a secret sister, and his great grandfather had a vault filled with lost treasures.

Is there a good youtube video that explains all these retcons because I must have been blind to them all. I never once felt like anything revealed in 1-3 about nates past was even enough to form anything more then he was an orphan and he was a bit obsessed with Francis Drake.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
His turn at Spiderman was such a breath of fresh air because it WASN'T the hackneyed origin story we have seen 100 times, it just dropped us in the middle of his life and we understood within a minute the backstory. I really, really hope we don't get the Nathan Drake origin story but instead maybe he means we see a small flashback but most of the movie is a Nathan Drake adventure.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
The "video game movie problem" is just going to continue being one of those self-perpetuating narratives no matter how many competent adaptations are made. Probably because "we finally made a good video game movie!" is still the easiest, most knee-jerky way of marketing those movies.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a good youtube video that explains all these retcons because I must have been blind to them all. I never once felt like anything revealed in 1-3 about nates past was even enough to form anything more then he was an orphan and he was a bit obsessed with Francis Drake.
Play Uncharted 4, if you haven't already. That's the main culprit.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Play Uncharted 4, if you haven't already. That's the main culprit.

I have . I know that his brother was never mentioned before but theres nothing in 1-3 that really contradicts him having a brother either. He thought he was dead and that's good enough for me.
I know the mom was supposedly sick but I didn't see anything in 4 that goes against that either. I honestly dont remember why him and his brother where even in an orphanage.