• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
No it's not. AAA games that emulate film get much more attention than games like Nier or Undertale. And this is down to game design as well, as in, game design that seeks to make it fee like you're playing an interactive film. Ofc, market interest trends have changed but the point still stands when Red Dead and GTA are making half a billion at release.

"Attention" as in what? If you mean from the critics, then it's easily disproven, especially this year given the acclaim Disco Elysium got. If you mean from the public / sales, then you would be comparing Witcher 3, The Last of Us and Red Dead Redemption with Marvel films and the whole "film stories are better than videogames" immediately falls apart.

Your argument is "videogames are compared to films because the best selling videogames emulate film". Nevertheless that this is a leap in logic that makes absolutely no sense, then by this very argument films should be compared to comics.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Video game movies generally suck because they're almost always trying to please "gamers" and regular movie viewers, as if they cannot be one in the same

Pretty true. But that also reveals in a way how to make a good one.

Basically every good to great film is made utilizing a good to great director with a strong vision. So that's the starting point. Get somebody like Ryan Coogler.

Next, don't try to adapt the Uncharted IP wholesale. Tell a tight story of a core group of characters having a great adventure with solid stakes. This is basically how the Mission Impossible films keep constantly being entertaining hits.

Finally, make sure you get a nice cast of fun folks, again, like the MI (or Fast/Furious if you prefer) franchises.

Give it a good DP, you don't have to get Deakins necessarily, but someone with a real eye for setting a scene.

Don't try to make it 85 minutes lol.

And of course : proper budget and minimal studio interference. Once the trigger is pulled, the project needs to get from A to Z without being second guessed or light rebooted/rewritten during production. No shoehorned in stuff from the foreign market studio suits, no 'heres this pop star that should be a minor character' stunts. Just a plain old good film. If you can please the same group that loves the MIs and/or the FnFs, that's a pretty decent template.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So we're pretending I didn't write anything after that sentence and specifically addressed sales.

Okay.
Marvel movies aren't the only films that make money and historically films have better writing than games, all three of which near you namedropped near constantly create scenarios that involve you killing people and not much else. Film, is a much more complicated medium that tackles a metric fuckton more stories then on a scene by scene basis than,

protagonist kills groups of people again

I don't know if video games are so ingrained into your personality that the idea that films, a medium that has been around a lot longer and doesn't have to constantly say,

due to the audience being more accepting of things other than that compared to the vast majority gaming community, shareholders, etc. that you feel insulted by the implication that game writing is at the vast majority of times inferior than the mediums it emulates. But, it is what is is.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Marvel movies aren't the only films that make money and historically films have better writing than games, all three of which near you namedropped near constantly create scenarios that involve you killing people and not much else. Film, is a much more complicated medium that tackles a metric fuckton more stories then on a scene by scene basis than,

I don't know if video games are so ingrained into your personality that the idea that films, a medium that has been around a lot longer and doesn't have to constantly say,

due to the audience being more accepting of things other than that compared to the vast majority gaming community, shareholders, etc. that you feel insulted by the implication that game writing is at the vast majority of times inferior than the mediums it emulates. But, it is what is is.

Wow. I'm used to you usual, constant bad faith tactics when replying to others so I wasn't particularly surprised when you cropped out the one convenient thing you wanted to pick apart and ignored the part where I actually replied to you; I really shouldn't be surprised that you pivoted to non-sequitur ad-hominems after that, but still, that was quick.

I guess it's long overdue that I put you on ignore so you can armchair psychoanalyze (or rather, considering your 23 thousand posts in a videogame forum and obsession with Star Wars of all things, project insecurities into) someone else.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Can anyone who's read any of the previous leaked drafts give a brief synopsis about the plot of the movie? Can't find anything online.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. I'm used to you usual, constant bad faith tactics when replying to others so I wasn't particularly surprised when you cropped out the one convenient thing you wanted to pick apart and ignored the part where I actually replied to you; I really shouldn't be surprised that you pivoted to non-sequitur ad-hominems after that, but still, that was quick.

I guess it's long overdue that I put you on ignore so you can armchair psychoanalyze (or rather, considering your 23 thousand posts in a videogame forum and obsession with Star Wars of all things, project insecurities into) someone else.
K

I suppose

"You're right Uncharted 3 wasn't written very well and a medium that has existed long before video games and broke out into it's own. With video games lagging in the writing department behind partly due to video games emulating film but with a metric fuckton more reasons for the protagonist to shoot people during an entire generation. Admittedly the brother twist in Uncharted 4 was contrived and ALWAYS contrived even when he was originally the villain not played by troy baker seemingly obligatorily" can be said more simply but 🤷‍♂️

P.S. you have more than ten thousand posts. Pot meet kettle if you're gonna try to shame someone for *checks notes* participating in a forum. 😂 Next time defend your point instead of attempting to attack the person kthx. 👍

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Videogame movie problem? There's been some great videogame movies.

Mortal Kombat, Prince of Persia, Ace Attorney Anime, are all some great examples.

The only videogame movie problem I can perceive is to ensure Uwe Boll isn't directing.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Making an entertaining Uncharted movie shouldn't be that hard, honestly. The game is already basically Indiana Jones with more killing. They'll fuck it up though. Mark Wahlberg as Sully already makes me sad.

Apr 21, 2018
The solution to the Uncharted problem is getting an older main actor

This. Seriously.

Sometimes I feel like I'm in crazy town because I'm the only who finds Tom Holland a blasphemous miscast.

Why on earth would they take a beloved character and make the first movie about his youth?

Making an entertaining Uncharted movie shouldn't be that hard, honestly. The game is already basically Indiana Jones with more killing. They'll fuck it up though. Mark Wahlberg as Sully already makes me sad.

.....you've gotta be kidding me.

Apr 21, 2018
I don't know if it's officially official but a few weeks ago the reports made it seem like it was happening.

It is just beyond me why they would adapt something, especially something as risky as a video game adaptation, then completely change the era and age of the characters.

I suppose it would have to take place in the 70s if it's Drake and Sully in the past?

...I just don't understand.