• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I keep getting Twitter push notifications that feature Tom Morello. After the announcement of the Rage tour entitled assholes aka customers have come at him from all sorts of directions and he has gracefully replied to a lot of them. Hats off to you, Tom. You don't have to engage them but you are.

twitter.com

Tom Morello on Twitter

“I’ll sort them out https://t.co/eWBmjq8bBe”

data west

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really entitled to think the ridiculous ticket prices of a protest band who made their name off playing to an impassioned working class are outrageous

OP
OP
Dali

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
It's not really entitled to think the ridiculous ticket prices of a protest band who made their name off playing to an impassioned working class are outrageous
I don't go to concerts so I wouldn't know but reading some responses, the base price is $150 or less (I think $125.00 is the real base) is less than a lot of other concerts. Tom replied to someone saying the same thing posting a screenshot of their receipt for like a $700.00 ticket pointing out it clearly says "charity ticket." Anything above the base price is going to charity.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Was $125. Paid almost double that to see the Misfits at the same venue (and I got better seats for RATM). Just the unfortunate reality of seeing popular bands. At least Rage raised some money for charity.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

$125 isn't really a ridiculous ticket price considering it isnt just Rage but also RTJ co-headlining the tour.

They have no control over what scalpers charge.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
How are people complaining about $1XX for a popular band? That is completely standard and even on the cheap end, depending on where the seats are.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
If someone bought the tickets they would be a customer, if not they are entitled to complain about the prices, that's just how it works. It is not an unreasonable opinion. It smacks people more given the "for the people" ethos they think Rage has, and maybe RTJ to an extent, they expect people on the left to be more considerate of economically disadvantaged people. To one of those people it could feel like they are going to play some protest jams to a bunch of wealthy or well-enough off people and not the people most effected by the things they sing about.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
i'd say it has something to do with their politics.
I get that, but that is standard going rate for a remotely popular band in the 21st century. Do people expect the tickets to be $5 or something? $135 or whatever is NOT an expensive ticket in 2020.

And lets be real here, most of their fans would be in their 30's-50's by now - they aren't playing to a bunch of pissed off teens and 20-somethings anymore.

OP
OP
Dali

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
If someone bought the tickets they would be a customer, if not they are entitled to complain about the prices, that's just how it works. It is not an unreasonable opinion. It smacks people more given the "for the people" ethos they think Rage has, and maybe RTJ to an extent, they expect people on the left to be more considerate of economically disadvantaged people. To one of those people it could feel like they are going to play some protest jams to a bunch of wealthy or well-enough off people.
I guess you didn't buy the tickets? Regardless this thread isn't about the price but how a superstar is responding to needy assholes when he really doesn't need to. The product is sold. He's willingly putting himself into a customer service position.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I guess you didn't buy the tickets? Regardless this thread isn't about the price but how a superstar is responding to needy assholes when he really doesn't need to. The product is sold. He's willingly putting himself into a customer service position.
Nope, can't afford them. I'm lucky enough to have seen both anyways so not a huge deal for me. And yeah, it's good that he's taking his personal time to get involved, I agree.

Also there are at least some funny memes coming out of the situation

EQxz-bfUwAAVGIr

EQxJqHYW4AcXSxI

Last edited:

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
i paid $90 dollars for floor seat radiohead tickets and thought that was super overpriced considering i paid $35 to see them in 2003 lol
Huh, maybe I just see more expensive concerts then. Low to mid $100 is what I usually expect to pay for nose bleed seats. lol

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Pearl Jam is town next month and the only tickets left are the charity ones and they are going for $1450. Not complaining.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Pearl Jam is town next month and the only tickets left are the charity ones and they are going for $1450. Not complaining.
Don't get me started on Pearl Jam. I got in queue online to buy the tickets for San Diego the second it opened, and shit was all sold out except for some bleacher seats behind the fucking stage. I looked up the resale price, and they were like $2k.

Last edited:

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
How are people complaining about $1XX for a popular band? That is completely standard and even on the cheap end, depending on where the seats are.

I gladly payed the $125 to see them as I've payed a LOT more to see other artists. However I have also payed a lot less for popular bands. Just this week a bought 2 tickets for the Deftones / Gojira show and played less than the ONE ticket for RATM. I know event wise, they're a much bigger band. But they claim to be a band for the people and $125 isn't exactly raging against the machine.

OP
OP
Dali

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, can't afford them. I'm lucky enough to have seen both anyways so not a huge deal for me. And yeah, it's good that he's taking his personal time to get involved, I agree.

Also there are at least some funny memes coming out of the situation

EQxz-bfUwAAVGIr

EQxJqHYW4AcXSxI
I'm not sure where the humor is, but I'll take your word that it's funny.

swoon

Oct 25, 2017
they were never that band, i saw them in 93 at lolla and then in 96 headline that same venue and it was way more money than any other show i went to that year, combined probably.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
$1xx is more than I've paid for almost any show I've ever been to... but I'm not typically seeing one of the biggest bands in the world of the last 30 years, so

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think $125 is unreasonable for this show but I do feel like getting close to $200 is a bit much. It really all comes down to how much you like the bands because for some it's worth it. A lot of the time it's who is promoting the ticket sales that drives the price like if it's Ticketmaster they are the scummiest bunch of garbage that promotes scalping with ridiculous fees but most of the time if the venue is selling the tickets it's usually pretty reasonable. I'm glad they are trying to slow scalpers because fuck those guys. I would like to go to the Vancouver show here but it is a bit pricey or rather more than I'm willing to pay (170.00 + fees) for the PNE venue.

$1xx is more than I've paid for almost any show I've ever been to... but I'm not typically seeing one of the biggest bands in the world of the last 30 years, so
Same for me and I go to 1-3 concerts a month. I would say the most expensive ticket I purchased recently was Elton John and that ran me about $168.00 for a decent seat, I just got 3 tickets to the Strokes for about 165.00 for all 3 and before that Weezer and Pixies which I paid about $180 for 3 tickets to that as well. Most of the time though other smaller bands run about $26-$55 a piece.

Quatermain

Oct 29, 2017
I was prepared to pay $170 in Vancouver... for floor. I really wish they didn't make all the seats the same price. Did they do that at the other venues?

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
I was prepared to pay $170 in Vancouver... for floor. I really wish they didn't make all the seats the same price. Did they do that at the other venues?
170 is a lot for that price I'd expect to be pretty close it would suck to pay that and get a seat further back. Vancouver show regular tickets are sold out anyways only platinum charity seats are left.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dali

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think $125 is unreasonable for this show but I do feel like getting close to $200 is a bit much. It really all comes down to how much you like the bands because for some it's worth it. A lot of the time it's who is promoting the ticket sales that drives the price like if it's Ticketmaster they are the scummiest bunch of garbage that promotes scalping with ridiculous fees but most of the time if the venue is selling the tickets it's usually pretty reasonable. I'm glad they are trying to slow scalpers because fuck those guys. I would like to go to the Vancouver show here but it is a bit pricey or rather more than I'm willing to pay (170.00 + fees) for the PNE venue.

Same for me and I go to 1-3 concerts a month. I would say the most expensive ticket I purchased recently was Elton John and that ran me about $168.00 for a decent seat, I just got 3 tickets to the Strokes for about 165.00 for all 3 and before that Weezer and Pixies which I paid about $180 for 3 tickets to that as well. Most of the time though other smaller bands run about $26-$55 a piece.
I think they all tour well. Rage has been broken up for a while now, so a reunion tour might come at a premium.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I always thought U2 and Bruce Springsteen did it right, when they play 360 in stadiums or arena, the behind the stage seats are $30-$50, and the most expensive seats $300+ are all for charity. They give a really good spectrum of choice and when I've seen them in those seats haven't scrimped on the experience there. Hell, on U2's 360 tour I'd argue the best seats were behind the stage.

Last edited:

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Is it just that these guys have been gone for long enough that an entire generation all of a sudden discovers the irony of a Marxist band making money as professional musicians?

People have been pointing this out for decades.

These guys are multiplatnum selling artists.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Is it just that these guys have been gone for long enough that an entire generation all of a sudden discovers the irony of a Marxist band making money as professional musicians?

People have been pointing this out for decades.

These guys are multiplatnum selling artists.

The irony is less on them, more the way the system is set up though. It always seemed like a weird critique to me; one of the problem's is that if you're a fan or not, we are all tied into capitalism. Like even on the ground activists would like to take a vacay on a beach, etc

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the truth is the price of all shows increased considerably in the last 10 years, and the price is not decided by the artists usualy

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Considering that the tickets were impossible to get at their current price, what effect do you think lower prices would have had? We still can't go, less money is raised, and scalpers make more profit.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017

Eh that seems a bit excessive....

I had front row loge seats to see Paul McCartney, that was $75.

I've had seats 5 rows from the stage for The Pixies and Weezer together for $45.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
I go to around 50 shows a year, 100 bucks for some nostalgia tour sounds insane

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
The prices aren't ridiculous compared to pop acts, dinosaur rock bands and popular rappers. Basically the people you'd expect to want to maximize profits.
But I've been to much cheaper arena shows than what they're charging, and RATM not being on the low end contradicts a lot of their whole ideology.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The irony is less on them, more the way the system is set up though. It always seemed like a weird critique to me; one of the problem's is that if you're a fan or not, we are all tied into capitalism. Like even on the ground activists would like to take a vacay on a beach, etc

Right. Rage has always stated that they use the workings of the system to create a platform to promote their message. Hell, personally I can attest that being exposed to their music at a young age is the main reason I'm a leftist today.

And a lot of people are overlooking that this isn't just a rage tour, but also Run The Jewels, another large artist.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
So people who have no concept of how much it costs to actually do a stadium/arena tour are bitching because the band needs to make money AND pay staff and expenses?

Some people are beyond entitled and just have zero grasp of reality.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'm paying €60 for The Hella Mega Tour with Green Day, Weezer and Fall Out Boy. $125 is higher up in the range of things, but still, certainly in an acceptable range.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I think any band charging more than $50 a ticket is a sham and they should be ashamed of themselves for being so greedy. I dont care of they are donating money from ticket prices to charity. People should not be priced out of seeing musicians that they love. Its especally egregious when it comes to artists who talk about tearing down the establishment.

While I'm on my soapbox tickets should be sold with your name printed on them and should not be allowed to be resold under any circumstances. Present your ID and ticket at the door to get it. There would have to be rules in place to allow for minors to attend as they likely don't have IDs.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I'd be fine with that and I appreciate the whole scalper shaming, even if Ticketmaster is just as bad.

I paid $800-something to see Black Sabbath, a few rows from center stage. I think that's the most I've ever paid. Took a look at Rolling Stones during their presale and almost threw up

OP
OP
Dali

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Right. Rage has always stated that they use the workings of the system to create a platform to promote their message. Hell, personally I can attest that being exposed to their music at a young age is the main reason I'm a leftist today.

And a lot of people are overlooking that this isn't just a rage tour, but also Run The Jewels, another large artist.
I don't think people are overlooking it. This is a rage reunion though which is much bigger news than a rtj concert. It's basically a welcome back Zack tour. He had a feature on a run the jewels song but I don't think he's performed live with rage in years. Also Rtj last album was basically free/crowdfunded to those not aware.

youtu.be

Run The Jewels - Close Your Eyes (And Count To F**k) feat. Zack de la Rocha (Official Video)

Download/Stream "Run The Jewels 2": https://RunTheJewels.lnk.to/RTJ2IDBuy RTJ2 vinyl: https://shop.massappeal.com"When Run The Jewels sent me this track, I k...

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Some people are beyond entitled and just have zero grasp of reality.
"This show is too expensive, a lot of people will be priced out of going" is entitlement I guess, what a controversial opinion?

I saw the Rolling Stones, one of the most important rock bands of all time, for less than what Rage is charging. Another poster mentioned seeing Macca for less. It is a perfectly legitimate opinion to think it's a high price.