• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Tom Waits is 69 today.

Oct 27, 2017
legend

one of the most under-appreciated GREATS in our time.
most people aren't going to see his genius until he's gone, and that's sad.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I've been waiting for years for him to go back on tour so I can see him live at least once in my life but he apparently just stopped and decided to focus on studio works and cinema. Less stressful, I guess.

Zabo

Oct 30, 2017
I can't stand his voice. It's so fake and fabricated. Liked him in Ballad of Buster Scruggs though.
I have kind a love/hate thing with his voice. Some times it works and others it doesn't. Blood Money was one of those albums where it felt he was really hamming it up and I just couldn't get into the album (Good man is hard to find is still cool song). But many times his voice work well with the lyrical content.

and end of the day, I am big Marc Ribbot fan and usually he comes with Tom, so I take 'em both.

Oct 27, 2017
I have kind a love/hate thing with his voice. Some times it works and others it doesn't. Blood Money was one of those albums where it felt he was really hamming it up and I just couldn't get into the album (Good man is hard to find is still cool song). But many times his voice work well with the lyrical content.

and end of the day, I am big Marc Ribbot fan and usually he comes with Tom, so I take 'em both.
His voice is awesome in Bone Machine though.

Zabo

Oct 30, 2017
His voice is awesome in Bone Machine though.
Yeah, love the album and his voice isn't bad but sometimes it just feels fake. Like he is really trying to imitate some of the blues greats and it kinda backfires. But overaal, I enjoy Tom and his growling.

Oct 27, 2017

Hey man, you are fucking awesome. Most people don't know him. He's my guitar hero.

May 29, 2018
Yeah, love the album and his voice isn't bad but sometimes it just feels fake. Like he is really trying to imitate some of the blues greats and it kinda backfires. But overaal, I enjoy Tom and his growling.
His entire persona is fake to a certain degree.

Oct 30, 2017
I used to find him really ehhhh.
Then I listened to Glitter and Doom. I really fucking love that live album.
I seen him on the Dublin leg of this tour, the fact that they didn't include the version of Hoist That Rag that they played on this tour on the live album is a travesty!

Props to a great musician. I'd love to see him live before he's gone, but he's focused on himself these past decades for good reason. Now I need to finish listening through my Waits backlog.

Also, his acting role in Buster Scruggs impressed me.

Oct 27, 2017
The piano has been drinkin', not meeeeeeee:

Need a new album soon, Tom (waits for no man!)
I was a big fan of Bad As Me.

Oct 27, 2017
I adore Tom Waits. An absolutely fantastic artist. I'll also happily echo the love for Marc Ribot from a few posts up. Such a weird and wonderful guitar player.

Oct 25, 2017
Happy Birthday Tom Waits! This thread has an alarming lack of music

Here's Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis

Here's That Feel a duet with Keith Richards