• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Historically Sony is a hardware company and Microsoft a software one. I'd say the opposite.

I am looking at 2019, and who makes what right now. MS is all up ins on making computers, sony is I think completely out at this point. Sony MFG is gigantic, but its all about capturing capacity (look up what apple does in this regard for a huge eye opener into part of their success)

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I am looking at 2019, and who makes what right now. MS is all up ins on making computers, sony is I think completely out at this point. Sony MFG is gigantic, but its all about capturing capacity (look up what apple does in this regard for a huge eye opener into part of their success)
Sony makes and sells more PlayStations than MS sells hardware.

They both know how to build things, no one has some sort of meaningful advantage.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Dev kits using off the shelf parts.

I would be a little surprised about that at this point in time even allowing for them doing things later than Sony (leaving aside any additional time Sony might have got with any delay).

Would you agree with me in thinking the PS5 dev kit we see now is currently APU-based if not completely final clocks/specs, i.e equivalent to the January 2013 PS4 dev kit leaked by VGLeaks?

Oct 27, 2017

You talked about computer like products, let me remind you that Sony is still selling a lot of TV's (that all have a custom CPU/GPU and RAM), a shit ton of PS4's, a few smartphones, even their cameras could be considered as "computer-like products".

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
You talked about computer like products, let me remind you that Sony is still selling a lot of TV's (that all have a custom CPU/GPU and RAM), a shit ton of PS4's, a few smartphones, even their cameras could be considered as "computer-like products".

you can probably throw audio equipment like their receivers in with that too.
Sony makes a crap ton of hardware. Microsoft does a lot of great things, but to imply there's any meaningful advantage in making electronic hardware over Sony is crazy.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
highly doubt it. Its less than a year from launch. People have them.

Devs not having kits means that MS is very very behind.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Man I just realized that next gen console wars thread was doing a pretty good job at containing the toxicity. Hadn't really had to see anything about it until now.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
isn't it kind of late to not have hardware finalized for 2020?

edit: saw the post just above me. Hmm.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
In the end, the hardware arms race benefits us. Doesn't matter who "wins". It's the fact both are playing. None of this low end PC due to Kinect in the box bullshit.

Oct 25, 2017
Next year will be glorious :)
giphy.gif

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
MS devkits with final silicon have traditionally before shipped out around 6 months before launch. MS is not late by their usual time table.
However, I don't think this supports the theory that current developer conjecture about power delta is inaccurate.

I'm sure kits aren't final, but I don't think it's a logical conclusion to assukt Microsoft is playing a 4D game of chess looking to catch Sony with their pants down by purposefully funneling unfinished underpowered hardware.

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
Why are folk talking about hardware when it's pretty obvious, from multiple posts, he's talking about dev tools & software. Something that will continue to be optimised throughout the gen.

This just seems to be the same old regurgitated stuff about MS being a software company. As if Sony being in the console business for 25 plus years doesn't give them equal, if not better, experience with the subject at hand.

Last edited:

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I'm sold on this with Ybarra chipping in. He's not been a Xbox fanboy since leaving the company considering he went @ Phil after Phil's VR comments. If he's finding the discussions humorous, that means they've done a good job keeping their cards close.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
These Tweets, if aimed at replies in this thread, are pretty unfair IMO. That isn't what is being suggested is it?

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
I wonder who I should believe in this one. ERA or insiders close to Microsoft and ex-MS employees, that one will be hard.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Sony makes and sells more PlayStations than MS sells hardware.

They both know how to build things, no one has some sort of meaningful advantage.

Microsoft has sold multiple generations of the Surface Pro, Surface Book, Surface Laptop and the Surface Studio.

All the 'more PlayStations' you cite are just two designs. The base PS4 and the PS4 Pro. Exactly the same console hardware variety as Microsoft.

There may be something else to your point, but on face value, I don't understand this comparison you've just made.

I love console wars.

It's terrible stuff.

Feb 10, 2018
You can't really extrapolate to much from what Mike Ybarra said.
Well, if the twitter conversation was accurate I doubt he would be laughing at it.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Power wasn't the reason the PS4 won early this gen. Sony just came out swinging with the games, PS4s power was just a minor by product.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Overall, from what we've heard, Sony is further along with sending out dev kits, etc.

And next gen the console power should be very close. It'll come down to games and services. Do you like Sony's studios, PSVR, features, etc.? Do you like Microsoft's studios, Game Pass, cross save, etc.?

It's why E3 will be fun next year. We should see plenty of games. Great time to be a gamer.

What would a Blizzard VP know about Scarlett specs.

He worked with Microsoft for 20 years, and had a prominent position in the Xbox division. He only left recently. Dude probably knows more about Scarlett than Tom Warren, Insiders, etc.
These Tweets, if aimed at replies in this thread, are pretty unfair IMO. That isn't what is being suggested is it?

A few folks are, but the majority are laughing at the fact that "Microsoft wants to surprise Sony". Thats... quite the statement to make.