• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
there it is, interesting.
so is prosperio really the code name for the PS5? like orbis was for the PS4? i kinda assumed it was for a specific devkit and not for the whole product actually.
Yup Prospero has been known for months.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. Two are still related though. Premium console translates into better APUs on their server racks. Unless they've changed their server hardware approach.

I was agreeing with you. I just meant that even if they weren't related, Microsoft already made clear that the console experience was the premium experience out of the two - due to limitations behind streaming.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Info as regarding actual specs being uncertain or "hidden" or do you simply mean bad communication from MS (because behind schedule)?
Microsoft is not late, it is in the right times, rather Sony is ahead, perhaps because its console was planned for 2019.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
A devkit doesn't matter. These companies get secrets from the manufacturer and the other parties involved through contracts.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Not sure if the "trying to surprise Sony" part is quite right -- common sense would suggest that, like with the Xbox One, Microsoft is just running behind schedule and will launch pretty hot -- but I've talked to a few third-party developers who said they were frustrated by the lack of info on Scarlett, especially compared to Prospero.

Well, there it is. I'm assuming this means for the early beginning portion of the next generation, most of the games will be more so optimized for PS5 over the next Xbox because of the scheduling being behind and what not.

Oct 27, 2017
Either this is a joke post, or you're from a realm where the Surface line doesn't exist.

I said historically. Sony has been making hardware for over 70 years, in an extremely wide range of products, they invented multiple formats and new genre of products.

Microsoft has been making hardware for less than 10 years if you exclude Xbox (Surface is < 7 years old).

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
they won because of these reasons in this order of importance:
price
PR screw up by MS
forcing bundled kinect

power.
The power narrative took over once they stopped bundling Kinect. There was a slew of stories about resolution differences at the release of every major multiplat during 2014-15.

Deleted member 30005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I wonder if MS shifting from the 2 Sku (one budget, one pro) thing to 1 sku cost them some time.

Microsoft posted senior job positions for their next-gen console in late November last year, including qualified candidates to work on their storage solution, and their chief SoC architect for Project Scorpio and Project Scarlett left Xbox and joined Intel earlier in 2019.

Intel hires away chief architect for Xbox One, Scorpio, and Scarlett John Sell

Sell spent 14 years at Microsoft and will be using his knowledge of SoCs design for the company's rather secure gaming hardware on top of his career experience at AMD, 3DO, and Apple, but now applying them at Intel.

It is not clear how Sell's departure will affect Microsoft's roadmap for its release of Project Scarlett, if at all, but for Intel, the move is largely a positive...

I don't feel this is some deliberate strategy to fool the competition. Sometimes affairs don't go according to plan.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not sure if the "trying to surprise Sony" part is quite right -- common sense would suggest that, like with the Xbox One, Microsoft is just running behind schedule and will launch pretty hot -- but I've talked to a few third-party developers who said they were frustrated by the lack of info on Scarlett, especially compared to Prospero.
Hmm, are you sure it's not just because 10,000 Microsoft engineers are trying to figure out how to put a gpu in a power brick?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
MS keeping their cards close to their chest. This is exciting.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Then u r new here . No one was allowed to say ps5 is anywhere close to power of anaconda in this very site until e3 when Reiner and few others messed up all we had heard till that date .

Apparently, Spencer confirmed at X019 that representative devkits were just being shipped.
How does that jive with the myriad of 'insiders' popping up to make claims about the relative power difference as early as four or five months ago? Claims that have been cited repeatedly as gospel?

Well, there it is. I'm assuming this means for the early beginning portion of the next generation, most of the games will be more so optimized for PS5 over the next Xbox because of the scheduling being behind and what not.

At least for the heavy hitters, I wouldn't necessarily assume this.

The likes of Warner Bros, Ubisoft, Activision, Namco, Square, EA et al will most certainly get their kits in time.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If hardly anyone has them what kind of software does Microsoft expect to launch next year?

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That "surprising sony" comment makes no sense. If true (which I doubt) they're just going to force developers to use PS5 as the main console and port over to scarlett, just like with PS4.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt MS thinks (or much cares) that they are gonna 'surprise Sony'..lol..but I bet their hardware isn't final yet and no that's not a bad thing. I'm not sure why everyone thinks final hardware must be decided on already for a console launching a year from now.

IIRC from some devs on here (and GAF) in previous threads said ~6-8 months lead time was the rough 'cutoff' for final spec depending on how many systems they really want for launch day.

Also with the new systems resembling PC architecture now more than ever and scalability being a thing it makes perfect sense that developers shouldnt have much trouble using the systems' estimated spec on a PC early on and 'last minute' changes/upgrades can be made to the hardware..that seems pretty reasonable.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wich is weird with the news we got today.
U really believe Ubisoft doesn't have at the minimum target spec of Scarlett for the new assassin creed they r launching November 2020 ? Come on man.They might not have the final dev kits but they sure as hell have the target specs and some form of dev kits.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing weird about it. There are 3rd party devs with devkits for both consoles, sony just handed more out.
The title says "hardly anyone has it" so i think its mainy first party devs? And Jason says third party devs are frustrated with "lack of info"
So not sure how devs can say accurate what is more powerful. Or they do have all info on paper. No idea.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Keeping their cards close to their chest is exciting. It'll make the reveal that much more interesting.

i'm sorry but I disagree. I don't see how "Microsoft keeps their cards close to their chest" when in the last few recent years, their E3 Conference has been leaked one to three days prior to their conference. On top of this, how is being behind schedule exciting lol, I don't understand? If anyone keeps their cards close to their chest it's Playstation, a majority of these years we barely know anything for the E3 Conferences and State of Plays etc. Sure, IX never gets leaked but most of IX is just a huge Gamepass advertisement. Along with that, Nintendo's stuff gets leaked too lol. Some insiders ruin these directs or E3s for Nintendo by leaking things prior to them, so that happens to Nintendo just like it happens to Microsoft. In the same fashion, we see it with Ubisoft and their AC leaks prior to announcements from Merch getting leaked etc (even though at this rate, it feels like they do it on purpose lmao.) So, really, if anyone keeps their cards close to their chest.. it's Playstation?

I'm not even trying to console war or anything, I'm just trying to make the case that keeping cards close to their chest would imply barely anything ever gets leaked from that side of the party. We've seen it happen to so many people, not saying Playstation has never dealt with leaks before (never forget the best E3 ever), but it happens more so to other companies in the Gaming Industry than them from what I've seen lol.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt MS thinks (or much cares) that they are gonna 'surprise Sony'..lol..but I bet their hardware isn't final yet and no that's not a bad thing. I'm not sure why everyone thinks final hardware must be decided on already for a console launching a year from now.

IIRC from some devs on here (and GAF) in previous threads said ~6-8 months lead time was the rough 'cutoff' for final spec depending on how many systems they really want for launch day.

Also with the new systems resembling PC architecture now more than ever and scalability being a thing it makes perfect sense that developers shouldnt have much trouble using the systems' estimated spec on a PC early on and 'last minute' changes/upgrades can be made to the hardware..that seems pretty reasonable.
The hardware is pretty much final. APU silicon is set in stone at this point. You are not that flexible on things to change.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the way more reasonable explanation.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The hardware is pretty much final. APU silicon is set in stone at this point. You are not that flexible on things to change.
People think amd is standing on the side for Sony and ms to change their mind and their order till one month from the launch so they can start their apu creation and testing before mass production starts within a week