• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I would think that getting these out less than a year before launch isn't a good idea right? Or am I crazy about that?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Doubt.
They 100% have the APU designed for a while and its not like you can change a ton in performance after that is settled

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I've wondered if devs are using Scorpio dev kits as a stop-gap for early development while they wait on MS to send out Scarlett dev kits.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Hmmmm, this could go either way. I do like that they are trying to build the best box that they can, but don't let it be at the cost of giving one of the best game companies an edge in potentially launching behind them. That's insane to think about.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
It could mean a lot of things than just what is said here but noway to know.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Considering all their games are also on PC, they could be running a straight up equivalent PC spec for devkits.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I know Xboxs are glorified PCs now, but having a near final box still cuts out a lot of uncertainty due to variability. the OS is windows-based but not straight up windows after all
I don't know about that, ms is now publishing more games on pc, I could see the OS be near-identical this time around

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
The idea that Sony wouldn't find out what's in the Scarlett dev kit (and vice versa) is humorous. Sony and Microsoft will have far too many contacts within developers and hardware manufacturers to keep secrets from each other.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
"surprise Sony"... seriously?

Does it really work like that? I'd think that the earlier a dev has a dev kit for new hardware in their hands, the better chance at good, high-quality games on launch

you are going to "hide" the dev kit from devs just so Sony doesn't learn about its innards??

dunno,

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
The idea that Sony wouldn't find out what's in the Scarlett dev kit (and vice versa) is humorous. Sony and Microsoft will have far too many contacts within developers and hardware manufacturers.

I mean yeah, I don't know who's sitting around thinking both sides of these companies are sitting there completely blind about what's going on each other's end. They both have to know something or at least have an idea as to how powerful each other's consoles are lol

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought these dev kits were virtually identical with Sony having a better processor or something? Was that just a rumor I read or am I off the rocker?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about that, ms is now publishing more games on pc, I could see the OS be near-identical this time around
GameCore.
" New operating system coming to the Xbox One, seen it mentioned along with GameOS (responsible for running XDK/non-uwp games), a commit message to Microsoft's GitHub also mentioned that GameCore is using new kernel graphics APIs. "

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Aren't they both buying from AMD? If so then they've both got a potential list of sources all the way from their APU vendor right through to developers and industry analysts via which this "surprise" information could leak. Aside from adding extra RAM like Sony did previously I doubt there's much either party could surprise the other with, especially at the $400-500 range they'll be aiming for.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
"surprise Sony"... seriously?

Does it really work like that? I'd think that the earlier a dev has a dev kit for new hardware in their hands, the better chance at good, high-quality games on launch

you are going to "hide" the dev kit from devs just so Sony doesn't learn about its innards??

dunno,
"Microsoft wants to surprise Sony this time" ? Uh

Yeah, I don't buy this one either lol. I really don't think Microsoft is sitting there right now thinking "Okay so if Playstation has a meeting and they announce their specs we can go with build B instead of A!" like what? There's way too many legal things like patents and other documents that probably need to be finalized a year or two prior to finalizing the build before them announcing it and mass producing it. Or, I could simply just not know shit (which in case correct me) but that's what I would assume happens towards consoles being finalized before mass production lol

Oct 27, 2017
The idea that Sony wouldn't find out what's in the Scarlett dev kit (and vice versa) is humorous. Sony and Microsoft will have far too many contacts within developers and hardware manufacturers to keep secrets from each other.
You should read the old next gen speculation threads OT 04/05 if I remember rightly. They were chock full of people (some already in this thread claiming that it is not possible) claiming that sony were enganged in 4D chess with microsoft in regards to power etc..

I tend to agree with you in all honesty

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
"Microsoft wants to surprise Sony this time"

That... this entire supposed timeframe is not how software engineering, OS engineering, or APU engineering works.

And more importantly, MS is simply no longer in the "console sales marketshare matters" business. Their entire business model does not surround needing a marketshare advantage. And even if it were, MS' biggest issues have never been power - they've had the more powerful hardware on shelves for 2 years now and it hasn't made a difference in their sales trajectory.

Projecting fanboy console wars onto how businesses operate leads to leaps in logic that makes guys like this entirely dismiss-able.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I thought these dev kits were virtually identical with Sony having a better processor or something? Was that just a rumor I read or am I off the rocker?

Rumor was PS5's devkit had a better SDK that allowed devs to use it more efficiently/squeeze out more power. Idk if they'll be updating devkits until later on.

MS' sdk should get updated too.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Maybe the surprise will be MS buying Sony and renaming their next console to the Poo and Weestation 5, and then their console will be called THE GLORIOUS XBOX. Generation won.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't really see what suprises ms can pull out o their hat this late. We already know the apu, that it's using gddr6 ram and a ssd.

In contrast we know from sony which cpu the apu is based on and that the ssd is not a normal ssd. We know less about the ps5 than scarlet.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yeah, I don't buy this one either lol. I really don't think Microsoft is sitting there right now thinking "Okay so if Playstation has a meeting and they announce their specs we can go with build B instead of A!" like what? There's way too many legal things like patents and other documents that probably need to be finalized a year or two prior to finalizing the build before them announcing it and mass producing it. Or, I could simply just not know shit (which in case correct me) but that's what I would assume happens towards consoles being finalized before mass production lol
surprise surprise, Halo Infinite and Gears 6 will be 60fps and native 4k, the secret's out.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
I would think that getting these out less than a year before launch isn't a good idea right? Or am I crazy about that?
Well as long as they don't have any proprietary secret sauce tech it wouldn't be much of a problem. Especially if the components are going to get a spec bump, worst case scenario is that the devs wont utilize the hardware to it's fullest potential.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Doubt.
They 100% have the APU designed for a while and its not like you can change a ton in performance after that is settled
It's almost for certain these devkits don't feature the final APU. MS might not even have a bootable chip yet (based on the Scorpio timeline).

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Swap and around the companies, post that in the next gen speculation thread, and it would sound perfectly plausible, already happening even.

Well last time sony did exactly that.

And this time around we know more about scarlet than the ps5. MS can't one up sony with a few more mhz or more ram. That's not enough.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It's almost for certain these devkits don't feature the final APU. MS might not even have a bootable chip yet (based on the Scorpio timeline).
That is not what i am saying.
MS must have internally settled on the design by at the worst case early this year (more likely last year), because they also need to perform many tests to measure performance, issues etc. And also leave enough time to manufacture enough consoles by late 2020

ABrokenToy

Nov 19, 2017
Hey! Cool if true. We'll see. Being an unbiased system warrior is the best. I feel sorry for people who pledge allegiance to one company.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
next xbox coming after ps5, but more powerful. Microsoft isn't primarily concerned about launching first or selling the most consoles. They are are in the services game now.