• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Power wasn't the reason the PS4 won early this gen. Sony just came out swinging with the games, PS4s power was just a minor by product.
Price was the main factor. PS4 didn't actually have that great of an exclusive lineup in its first half. Arguably Xbox had the better exclusives initially but obviously Xbox's exclusive output dried out while Sony improved greatly starting in 2016.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Looks like Sony flinched and tipped their hand very early with the "V" PS5 form factor. MS keeping powder dry for a forthcoming 'reverse Pearl Harbor' counter-ambush. Very interesting first skirmish.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Next year will be glorious :)
giphy.gif
Yep. Just the basic specs that have been released sound fantastic. A *REAL* CPU! A *REAL* solid state storage system! So much to fight about!

Oct 25, 2017
Power wasn't the reason the PS4 won early this gen. Sony just came out swinging with the games, PS4s power was just a minor by product.
Price was the main factor. PS4 didn't actually have that great of an exclusive lineup in its first half. Arguably Xbox had the better exclusives initially but obviously Xbox's exclusive output dried out while Sony improved greatly starting in 2016.
I think it was a combination of several factors. There were too many things going on at one time to say it was just one particular thing.

Power
Price
Brand
Marketing
Etc...

All those played a part in it and while they each have varying weights, they all added to what happened in 2013 and beyond.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So this could mean PS5 games are ahead compared to the xbox scarlett games? I'm talking about third party games.

Nah, it just means that sony delivered more devkits to 3rd party devs. Games will look and run pretty much the same on both consoles if the rumors are true.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
That's rewriting history. PS4's lineup was pretty miserable until Bloodborne hit. XBO had a better launch day lineup than PS4. But it was $100 more expensive, for a much less powerful console, with a Kinect nobody wanted, and a terrible narrative surrounding it since the initial TVTVTV and DRM unveiling.

But yeah, Sony didn't come out swinging with the big guns until a couple of years in to PS4's life.

Nov 11, 2017
I tend to think people overrate price a bit when it comes to consoles. while it is important if Sony or ms has power /games/correct message they can sell. I don't think price is a huge factor on why ps4 sold the way it did. The package it offered is why it sold well

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tend to think people overrate price a bit when it comes to consoles. while it is important if Sony or ms has power /games/correct message they can sell. I don't think price is a huge factor on why ps4 sold the way it did. The package it offered is why it sold well
The main things were price and power because they had it at a less price and more powerful. They had some great games but it helped they had the advantage as well.

Nov 11, 2017
The main things were price and power because they had it at a less price and more powerful. They had some great games but it helped they had the advantage as well.
Yes it offered the better product at a cheaper price, having a cheaper price isn't going to necessarily help you sell. It was more powerful and cheaper.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
It's clear what's going on. Phil Spencer is the tiger crouched in tall grass, ready to pounce on his prey just when the timing is right. He already said that Xbox won't get caught out on specs or pricing this time around, and that's exactly what's happening here. He's waiting for Sony to play their hand with the PS5, since they'll be holding their reveal event first. Once all the messaging is out there - the hardware specs and features, the controller, the launch games and price - all Phil has to do is 1up the PS5 in every aspect behind the scenes and then present the next Xbox to the world shortly afterwards. It'll be a colossal rig that's literally better than the PS5 in every conceivable way, and all because Phil was smart enough to strike with extreme precision. It's a genius masterplan.

Jason Schreier comments

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if the "trying to surprise Sony" part is quite right -- common sense would suggest that, like with the Xbox One, Microsoft is just running behind schedule and will launch pretty hot -- but I've talked to a few third-party developers who said they were frustrated by the lack of info on Scarlett, especially compared to Prospero.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i do t believe it, why is MS so preoccupied with power when they can just stream better looking games?

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
It comes down to strategy and priorities. More powerful hardware won't be due to witchcraft. They can still go with tiers of high and medium hardware. Can delay launch. Can take bigger losses. Can have different configurations ready to go. These consoles are using the same architecture and the power and evolution of tools can make maximizing that power more accessible in a shorter period of time.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
How powerfull are next gen consoles supossed to be compared to a top of the line pc from today? I just built one with an i9 , 32gb RAM and an RTX 2080 super. I'd like to know if it will match next gen consoles in power

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
How powerfull are next gen consoles supossed to be compared to a top of the line pc from today? I just built one with an i9 , 32gb RAM and an RTX 2080 super. I'd like to know if it will match next gen consoles in power
Definitely not as powerful as the best of the best PC hardware, but you'll be hard pressed to find any PC game optimized for your specific setup.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Not sure if the "trying to surprise Sony" part is quite right -- common sense would suggest that, like with the Xbox One, Microsoft is just running behind schedule and will launch pretty hot -- but I've talked to a few third-party developers who said they were frustrated by the lack of info on Scarlett, especially compared to Prospero.

Xbox Scarlett more powerful confirmed 😎🤝

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
i do t believe it, why is MS so preoccupied with power when they can just stream better looking games?
You do realize that the two are related, right? Another reason it's important for Scarlett to be right. The APUs will be sitting in Azure racks and that's what the high end versions of streaming games will be running off of in the future.

Oct 27, 2017

There it is.

Thanks for that clarification.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
You do realize that the two are related, right? Another reason it's important for Scarlett to be right. The APUs will be sitting in Azure racks and that's what the high end versions of streaming games will be running off of in the future.

Microsoft also made clear that the Xbox consoles are going to be the premium experience, not streaming.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017

Interesting 🤔

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
there it is, interesting.
so is prosperio really the code name for the PS5? like orbis was for the PS4? i kinda assumed it was for a specific devkit and not for the whole product actually.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if MS shifting from the 2 Sku (one budget, one pro) thing to 1 sku cost them some time.

I would guess whatever the new target spec became after that, it wasnt just the more powerful sku. They would have had to spec it down a little to hit a more reasonable price.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Phil mentioned at X019 that they'd literally just started shipping Scarlett dev kits so perhaps we'll start seeing some info trickling out soon.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, nothing has changed.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
Just saying the obvious here, but it all will come down to how much money the companies are willing to lose on each unit sold at launch. Going by the size of their pockets, that's where the only big objective advantage MS has over Sony is, definitely not on the engineering side of things against a massive hardware designer and maker like Sony. If Xbox somehow got a blank check from Nadella, well, we all know what's gonna happen.

Dec 8, 2018

Info as regarding actual specs being uncertain or "hidden" or do you simply mean bad communication from MS (because behind schedule)?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Microsoft has sold multiple generations of the Surface Pro, Surface Book, Surface Laptop and the Surface Studio.

All the 'more PlayStations' you cite are just two designs. The base PS4 and the PS4 Pro. Exactly the same console hardware variety as Microsoft.

There may be something else to your point, but on face value, I don't understand this comparison you've just made.

It's terrible stuff.
The point is, both Sony and MS make tons of PC-related hardware. No one has a meaningful advantage here.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Jason do you know why they r behind Sony ? Is there any particular reason?