• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 10, 2018
I wouldn't read into it too much. All I said was 'getting their games running' whether that would take the form of backward compatible patches or new purchases, I don't have any idea.

The only thing I was trying to say was that whether it's Scarlet or the PS5, third parties aren't that invested in development for those platforms, at this stage. In that sense, it doesn't matter all that much if Microsoft deliver their dev kits a little late.
Gotcha.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well, that's a shame. Xbox must be doomed. Good thing every developer on the planet has an Intellivision Amico dev kit already. Otherwise I would be "worried" here. /s

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they had a contingency plan in case PS4 sales dropped off a cliff in 2019 but looking at how well they sold last year, I'm sure all plans of launching in 2019 died with the record breaking sales they had towards the end of 2018.

He left out the part where Klee said that change in 2017 .
Still don't get why it matter at this point in time.
It's already been 2 plus years since they were looking at 2019 as a time frame.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
This is ridiculous if true. The xbox1 has so little on it that not having a strong outing at launch for the sequel to gain exclusives and ports is suicidal.

They needed a complete turnaround with this. Not a repeat of last launch. Least they haven't openly mocked their market, changed specs near launch to piss off devs they'd landed or announced always online no physical this time.

Course the spec thing may be a thing if no dev kits are out.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
The Console war never ends, lol

Great times, the excitement around new console launches will never get old to me. I think a bit of fandom is a positive for the industry.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
This really makes sense and might explain why Microsoft would be behind Sony in the delivery of their kits. It was reported that the reason for the delay from 2019 so that Sony would have more mature software for 2020. I think both will launch strong but PS5 will have a more refined design.

Navi was initially targeting this year too, wasn't it? Plus a lot of key PS4 titles were delayed, like Days Gone to this year and The Last of Us 2 to next year. If they'd both launched on their initial release dates the PS4 would have had almost nothing for next year.

I could be wrong on some of that, but that's what I remember off the top of my head.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
The funny thing is what if someone was and dropped accurate details? Nobody would ever know cuz it's all over the place in these threads.

The funniest thing is that this "lively" discussion about the Scarlett dev kit situation and insider legitimacy all started with a random Tweet of a picture of 2 PS5 dev kits. On a Saturday to boot.

It has certainly been entertaining.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
This mess of a thread was worth reading just to watch Jason double back to curb stomp team 2019 & confirm it was never anything more than idea.

giphy.gif

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The funniest thing is that this "lively" discussion about the Scarlett dev kit situation and insider legitimacy all started with a random Tweet of a picture of 2 PS5 dev kits. On a Saturday to boot.

It has certainly been entertaining.

Its not the first time it happens. It certainly won't be the last. I expect similar behaviour the day PS5 is officially unveiled.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
This mess of a thread was worth reading just to watch Jason double back to curb stomp team 2019 & confirm it was never anything more than idea.

giphy.gif

Jason says 2019 was probably never on the table.
Klee says it was but adding/improving BC in 2017 delayed it.
Matt says 2019 was the plan all along but plans change. Doubts BC being the reason for delay.

Your Gif sums the above up perfectly for us plebs not in the know/with contacts.

Also I was never ashamed of being a team 2019 member. I wore the badge with pride!

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do hope they get out soon. I dont want an e3 of next gen games being shown that will look nothing like the target consoles are capable of (looking at you watchdogs and deep down)

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
He said it wasn't a thing in 2018 when he started covering next gen. Others said it was a thing but was squashed in 2017 and then others chimed in to corroborate. If what I wrote is accurate, there's no overlap there.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I misread your post and have a new reply. There's no need to be rude and condescending. We are just talking videogames here not astrophysics. I fully understand how these things work I have a science and tech background myself.
Your first reply about it all was to laugh at everyone. Hence me bringing that same
Type of unnecessary condescending tone.
<3

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Matt says 2019 was the plan all along but plans change. Doubts BC being the reason for delay.
He said it wasn't a thing in 2018 when he started covering next gen. Others said it was a thing but was squashed in 2017 and then others chimed in to corroborate. If what I wrote is accurate, there's no overlap there.
The way I look at it. They were all told at some point by one party or another that 2019 was considered. Because we don't know which level their source sits at, it's plausible they each learned it at varying times and degrees. As 2019 was an idea, that means there were processes and plans at a minimum thought out to be able to get there. But it at the end of the day it was 2020 that was clearly the one with the big red circle around it on the white board, and when they actually started finalizing things this was what was happening.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This worry me, if 3rd parties are going to make ports of current gen games instead if doing enhanced BC patches.
I'm not buying the same game twice.
I thought about this too. I guess they factor in those that didn't have a PS4 or XBO this gen. Many only buy 1 of those consoles.

It would look odd to do only BC enhanced for one and next gen version for the other. So I think there will be next gen versions of this gen games.

So next gen, give ppl that get the next gen platform they didn't get this gen something. And not just those from this gen.

Think about how many are PC or Nintendo only users. A next gen version for them might go over better vs. an enhanced current gen version.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I haven't really caught any of the terrible hot takes. Is it worth working my way through this thread to find users to ignore?

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Shows how little some people know about console launches. Of course full specs are not set even now. Heck even Sony changed their memory shortly before launch of the PS4
Adding a few more memory slots is a very easy engineering challenge that can be done late in the game. Anything gpu or cpu related on the other hand, is locked by now for sure, except for maybe final clockspeeds.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Your Gif sums the above up perfectly for us plebs not in the know/with contacts.

Also I was never ashamed of being a team 2019 member. I wore the badge with pride!
Shrug.

I heard the 2019 target in early 2017 and before. After that I stopped hearing it, and I think even posted that I didn't know the release in early 2018.

Various plans are made, shit changes, ideas get miscommunicated or misunderstood. I was gonna say that's business, but really that's just life.

Last edited:

freshVeggie

Oct 25, 2017
Man, feels like the days of unique hardware specs have closed for good after PS4/X1.
Still remember fondly how different console versions of games could be in the past.
Looks like PS5/X2 will have have even more neglibile differences than already. Guess devs are happy at least.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
This worry me, if 3rd parties are going to make ports of current gen games instead if doing enhanced BC patches.
I'm not buying the same game twice.
The beauty is, you don't have to.

I think only a handful of publishers will have the audacity to only port games to a backwards compatible machine, rather than patch them. Rockstar will probably be the first.

Feb 10, 2018
The beauty is, you don't have to.

I think only a handful of publishers will have the audacity to port games to a backwards compatible machine, rather than patch them. Rockstar will probably be the first.

The only way I would pay for another version of a next gen game is if it was like a full remake E. G GTA5 made with next gen lightning, polycount etc

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all leave me and my fellow Team2019 team mates alone dammit!!!!

There were dozens of us.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
...?

I'l quote myself from yesterday:

Not everyone is pathetic enough to have some sort of agenda, sometimes information is just information.

Have you heard anything that sums up that they expect to launch really close to each other? or is there a chance that one goes earlier before the other?

It would be interesting if MS ended up being a couple of months after Sony, maybe the perfect reason why MS us looking like they are behind?

Imagine if sony launches in september or something.

Digital Foundry compares load times fairly regularly.

I remember them doing it, but I feel I haven't seen it being as popular as last gen.

Oct 31, 2017
Your first reply about it all was to laugh at everyone. Hence me bringing that same
Type of unnecessary condescending tone.
<3
You really need to chill, it's not that serious. "Laughing at #Team2019" isn't a good reason for you to come into the thread trying to insult me, grow up. It's a videogame forum and videogames are about having fun and having a laugh. I really don't know why this is such serious business for you. The energy you're coming into this thread with is really unnecessary. What I said was done in a playful jab sort of way but you're coming at me like I insulted your intelligence and kicked your dog. Chill, I'm not taking any of this seriously hence the emote and neither should you.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
You really need to chill, it's not that serious. "Laughing at #Team2019" isn't a good reason for you to come into the thread and trying to insult me, grow up. It's a videogame forum and videogames are about having fun and having a laugh. I really don't know why this is such serious business for you. The energy you're coming into this thread with is really unnecessary. What I said was done in a playful jab sort of way but you're coming at me like I insulted your intelligence and kicked your dog. Chill, I'm not taking any of this seriously hence the emotes and neither should you.
Lmao k I'm being serious. Got it

Oct 29, 2017
I can't understand what's wrong with ppl . These consoles are generic PCs. Having a up to date dev kit doesn't mean anything . Ppl on this forum shouldn't be this way lol

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I find this thread funny because the fact of the matter is every single insider only has information that has been told to them by a certain source that only has information at a certain period of time. Most on this forum clearly don't understand how fast info and decisions change (literally from one meeting to the next) and so you have all these discussions on out of date information. Devkits aren't ever "final"... They are updated throughout the lifetime of a console generation.

So you find info from one source that could be true or false, and the same for others. No one person has all the info unless you are within the company. Some people have more accurate info than others depending on the source and WHEN they get info.

But the fanboying and clear console warring in the thread (just underhanded to not receive warns or bans) is amusing.

ABrokenToy

Nov 19, 2017
Imagine if the roles were reversed and the tweet said Sony holding back dev kits to surprise MS... the responses would be in FULL AGREEMENT with it.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I find this thread funny because the fact of the matter is every single insider only has information that has been told to them by a certain source that only has information at a certain period of time. Most on this forum clearly don't understand how fast info and decisions change (literally from one meeting to the next) and so you have all these discussions on out of date information. Devkits aren't ever "final"... They are updated throughout the lifetime of a console generation.

So you find info from one source that could be true or false, and the same for others. No one person has all the info unless you are within the company. Some people have more accurate info than others depending on the source and WHEN they get info.

But the fanboying and clear console warring in the thread (just underhanded to not receive warns or bans) is amusing.
🐐👏

Oct 28, 2017
A little behind, massively behind. None of that matters if MS doesn't have the exclusive quality output to match the competition.

They can survive having weaker hardware or launching slightly later. They cannot survive having worse exclusive content than Sony and Nintendo. Not again. This information is nothing to worry about, in my mind, but all eyes should be on their studios and how they compete against the best in the industry moving forward.