• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
tenor.gif

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah, seeing a lot of "He's not a fanboy. It's his job to be biased."
Uh, okay. We call that being a fanboy. And a fanboy who amongst other things claims MS is gonna "Surprise Sony" or that the dev kit has "Secret Sauce" or "If you don't care about exclusives(like most people don't) buy an Xbox" Like, he's your version of our Tobias Bjarneby, except our version at least had the decency to move on.
Tom Warren is not a gaming journalist what are you even talking about he covers and unfolds everything Microsoft from cloud to surface. What do you mean by "your version of our Tobias Bjarneby" are you part of some community or something?

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Microsoft has a lot of other stuff to think about than who gets dev kits, how about some damn games? Pay 343 a fortune to whore out Halo may give them a year or two advantage over SONY.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Microsoft has a lot of other stuff to think about than who gets dev kits, how about some damn games? Pay 343 a fortune to whore out Halo may give them a year or two advantage over SONY.
Those 15 studios are their answer to your question, and I'd imagine they're not done. Phil Spencer already said they plan to have a 1st party release every 3-4 months.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah, seeing a lot of "He's not a fanboy. It's his job to be biased."
Uh, okay. We call that being a fanboy. And a fanboy who amongst other things claims MS is gonna "Surprise Sony" or that the dev kit has "Secret Sauce" or "If you don't care about exclusives(like most people don't) buy an Xbox" Like, he's your version of our Tobias Bjarneby, except our version at least had the decency to move on.
Having a bias isn't what makes you a fanboy.
A fanboy is someone who refuses to think their company/console/whatever can do anything wrong. They also usually refuse to play anything on other consoles.
A good example is someone I saw on twitter recently going "This better not happen" to someone asking if Persona 5 will come to Xbox.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I wonder why a senior editor at The Verge who covers Microsoft posts so much MS news on Twitter.

Ahh see I didn't know that and I'm guessing I'm not alone on that. His comment of 'MS wants to surprise Sony this time' makes more sense knowing that, or maybe why he said such a thing anyway.

Having a bias isn't what makes you a fanboy.

I totally agree, but if I see something being reported/speculated by someone who is known to have a bias towards a certain brand or topic, I'll usually ignore them for the most part for obvious reasons.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
Honestly, everybody pretty much knows what the specs will be. It doesn't really matter if you have a devkit or not.
Would it be fair to say that everyone knows "ballpark specs" or "minimum specs?" As with PS4 it changed from 4GB to 8GB ram and x1 from 1.2TF to 1.31TF.
I'd bet that either company could technically increase clocks for additional TF if their thermals and power permits, something that I highly doubt any developer would be given info on as it's irrelevant.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Microsoft keeping exact details from Sony is a good idea, considering Sony's game plan is usually to attack their competitor on anything they can. We just saw the example with VR last week, but Sega's price point, XB1's DRM, even 8GB GDDR5, are all things Microsoft could avoid by not nailing down things like Xbox uses PCIE gen 5 for it's SSD, like Sony's SSD Reram tech.

Insisting that this is some childish playground feud where both companies are blind to what the other is doing is such a GAF/Era thing. Both companies most likely know what the other is doing and have both decided on their own roadmap to success.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Insisting that this is some childish playground feud where both companies are blind to what the other is doing is such a GAF/Era thing. Both companies most likely know what the other is doing and have both decided on their own roadmap to success.
Yeah, they likely know even smaller details about each other's system at this point. And the plan was set in motion years ago. If they're suddenly changing things to make the console more powerful they will miss the 2020 launch. Which is what I'm hoping tbh. MS aren't good at rushing things. For example, putting XB1 hardware in xCloud in 2019 is the weirdest thing ever, I barely wanted to use that console even at the launch because it was so sub-par to the competition. Why would I want to use it now?? Meanwhile, Xbox One X launched later but is one of the best consoles ever created from a hardware standpoint. So, just take your time MS.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Some
People
Have
Them

Give
Us
The
Details

How would you classify 2013 "this is how you share games" video? How about the comments that were made about how extatic they were when MS announced 499? I'm not saying MS is doing any of that here but if you think the industry is above that I've got some news for you. There are billions riding on the line.

Bro what are you even talking about here?

Last edited:

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Then why would developers be confused about Xbox hardware details? If a developer with an NDA doesn't know enough, why would you think Sony does? Also, we've seen this happen 6 years ago when developers only knew 4GB of GDDR5 memory was going to be in the PS4, and were told when everyone else was, about there being 8GB.

Developers in Japan didn't know that the Nintendo Switch would have 4GB of RAM until the summer before it launched, and they didn't know that the price was going to be $299.

Microsoft stole the Cell processor's main core and Sony didn't find out about it until a few months before launch of the Xbox 360.

Publishers, Sony and Microsoft were behind the DRM issues that Xbox introduced, but when Microsoft's DRM stuff blew up, Sony quickly dropped it 6 months before launch. There is stuff Sony and Microsoft know, but there is stuff that they don't as well.

EDIT: Microsoft should be giving more information shortly, it will be too late to change anything next year, so everything will be nailed down and known before Spring probably.

Last edited:

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the Harker post is also a hint as to who has them, but I don't want to take the time to figure it out. Maybe the first letter of each line corresponds to the first letter of the 1st party studios that have them. Dunno. Or I'm just full of shit.

Jun 23, 2019
Then why would developers be confused about Xbox hardware details? If a developer with an NDA doesn't know enough, why would you think Sony does? Also, we've seen this happen 6 years ago when developers only knew 4GB of GDDR5 memory was going to be in the PS4, and were told when everyone else was, about there being 8GB.

Developers in Japan didn't know that the Nintendo Switch would have 4GB of RAM until the summer before it launched, and they didn't know that the price was going to be $299.

Microsoft stole the Cell processor's main core and Sony didn't find out about it until a few months before launch of the Xbox 360.

Publishers, Sony and Microsoft were behind the DRM issues that Xbox introduced, but when Microsoft's DRM stuff blew up, Sony quickly dropped it 6 months before launch. There is stuff Sony and Microsoft know, but there is stuff that they don't as well.

EDIT: Microsoft should be giving more information shortly, it will be too late to change anything next year, so everything will be nailed down and known before Spring probably.

Did you really just try to sneak in that Sony had MS's online only DRM bullshit even though it's been disproved multiple times over? Lol

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

The problem is that "developers" is a catch all term used to describe 1000's of people across the world.
Journalists will have contacts , but it is still quite possible that the people who are in the position where they do know what is going on, are fewer, more senior and more afraid of what a breach of NDA in 2019 might look like.

I kind of get the impression that people think that when the new dev kits arrive at a huge AAA studio, they have some kind of grand unveiling in a staff meeting where they unbox it it, read through the development manual and tell everyone the specs. Even if it literally makes zero difference to your role in the development.
I very much doubt it happens.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people in the industry really really wanted the DRM thing to work out, and to be able reclaim the profits game stop was making from it's effective rental business.

Some of those people convinced themselves that idle conversations about feasibility were actual viable plans, and did not manage to put themselves in the position of the consumer.

Those people had a very bad time last time around, and now, as many of us predicted, it's almost entirely moot.