• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
While we can all agree that Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Marvel's Spider-Man are two different games, there's always a chance that the fanbases intersect. By how much is up for debate. Considering the high—some might say extreme—anticipation for a new game starring the comic book web-slinger, one might suspect Eidos and Square Enix are worried. SOTTR launches on September 14th, just a week after the PS4 exclusive hits the market. Thus, when asked how they felt about competition, Eidos Monreal's lead writer and game director responded:

"This has been a great year for games," Murray told COGconnected.

"Yea, exactly that. I'm not worried about Spider-Man," Bisson said. "I have friends working on it, so I'm very happy for them too, and I think, you were saying it, it's a great year. And for me, Spider-Man and Shadow of the Tomb Raider can co-exist. It's a different experience. One's way more about movement, the city and things, and this one is way more about exploring and finding things that make life special."

"Only one game has Lara Croft," Murray finished.

http://cogconnected.com/2018/08/tomb-raider-game-director-talks-new-camera-responds-spider-man/

What y'all think? Will the games bump heads or do their own thing? What is the hype for Tomb Raider looking like?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Well, if you have a PC or Xbone and not a PS4, there is no Spider-Man :). However, I suspect to PlayStation audience Tomb Raider is not going to be something anyone will pay attention till quite a bit later.

Oct 27, 2017
He's right, they do offer quite different experiences and while I had some initial reservations this is looking to be a pretty good title. They're both going to do quite well this season I think.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
oh wow, I totally didn't know the release was that soon.

I was already putting Kiwami 2 after Spider Man, and Dragon Quest XI.
Spyro, Life Is Strange 2, are The World Ends With You are also coming out right after.
Dang, the calendar is really packed.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like this is the kinda talk they made around the time of ROTTR and Fallout 4 and we know how that went :/

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Competition is nice even though both games are different. I still believe Spider-Man will perform better due to the extreme hype. Tomb Raider will do good, multi platform so no worries.

Oct 25, 2017
The bigger SE mistake is DQ11 literally days before Spidey.

Yeah, don't put it in August or anything. Put your PS4 exclusive right there, before one of the biggest PS4 exclusives of the year.

Thats some great fucking timing.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not worried about Spider-Man either. Shadow of the Tomb Raider on the other hand, I have plenty of worries quality wise and sales potential wise. The cynic in me thinks TR will go on hiatus after Shadow's release.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
They're different, but a lot of people only have so much money. When that Fall rush of games hits, you have to make a choice.

I'm super concerned about Soul Calibur 6 even though it's completely opposite BF5, CoD and RDR2. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is in a similar bind with DQ11 and Spider-Man.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Spider-Man is going to be the one harming it, October is. A Spring launch would help a couple of games coming this fall.

Apr 24, 2018
I'm either going to buy this at launch...or not pick this up for months until it hits $20 or less. I really can't decide. Even if I get it right away, I won't play it for a while, as Yakuza Kiwami II, Dragon Quest 11, and Valkyria Chronicles IV are all higher priority.

The $10 reward cert at BB + steelbook are tempting...

Glad to see the director has faith in his product, though!

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, don't put it in August or anything. Put your PS4 exclusive right there, before one of the biggest PS4 exclusives of the year.

I really don't understand why July and August are so quiet. Big movies are out so why not big games?

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
As great as TR 2013 and Rise were.. I won't be able to get to Shadow until December at the earliest. :/

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Spiderman is not so much of a juggernaut that it is going to eat up everyone's lunch. That's just wishful thinking. They're not even the same type of games

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's brave but really Spider-Man is only on the PS4 anyway so I doubt it will hurt too much.

Personally, I am only going to get Spider-Man at launch though. Shadow of the Tomb Raider can wait until a price drop. I loved the 2013 reboot and liked Rise, but no way am I getting that while I'll still be occupied with Spidey.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be worried about Spider-Man, it's a niche, while Tomb Raider has not only more mainstream appeal, but a wider selection of consoles.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
It is a great year and I'm actually really happy the two games launch close to each other. I've paid them off months ago so I'm just looking forward to sitting back and relaxing with two of my most anticipated games of this year.

I hope Tomb Raider does well and exceeds internal expectations.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I don't agree this has been a great year for games but it has been a good year for Sony.
Next year will be much better

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I forgot this was coming up so quick! He is right to some extent. PC and xbox owners dont care about spidey plus they are very different games. Will effect ps4 sales a bit at launch though I think but not by a lot.

I'll pick it up eventually. Spider-Man, dragon quest 11 and RDR2 are going to come first though.

Apr 24, 2018
I really don't understand why July and August are so quiet. Big movies are out so why not big games?
I feel like Octopath filled this gap nicely for a lot of people and really took advantage of the lull of other major releases, even though it isn't a "big" game, per se. I was very happy with when it launched, personally.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The fact that he's speaking about it speaks volumes.

It reads like he was responding to a question about it, rather than making an off-the-cuff statement. The article only mentions the director being asked about competition, not if specific games were mentioned. So it's hard to tell, but that's my take on it.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Video game wise . . . yeah it is.
8KTtscB.jpg

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I"m probably more hyped for Marvel's Spider-Man than anyone on this forum and yeah I don't think they should be that worried
Tomb Raider is a multiplat, Spidey is an exclusive
I wouldn't be worried about Spider-Man, it's a niche, while Tomb Raider has not only more mainstream appeal, but a wider selection of consoles.
Yeah...no

Last edited:

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Not sure I can afford Spider-Man at launch, hoping to, but if I can't then I'll be grabbing Yakuza 0 instead, health got in the way of it last year.

Tomb Raider will be fine, Spidey might hurt it a little but there's no dumb timed exclusivity shenanigans to hinder it this time.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I could certainly see Spidey causing some to delay buying Tomb Raider for a bit, so hopefully it's good so that word of mouth can keep things positive toward it until that time, probably later in the month.
I'm getting both, but then again I'm buying a ton in September lol.

This. Man, August would have been perfect even with their Octopath being this month too. I'd love to be playing it right now before the onslaught of games.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds that I have to preorder Spiderman soon. I want that theme.

Oct 25, 2017
I can only speak personally, if I didn't have Spider-Man coming out I would be picking up Tomb Raider at a certainty the week later unless there was something glaringly wrong with it. As it stands right now, I may pick it up down the road. I don't know if anyone else feels the same, but that's how it's made me approach the 2 being within a week of each other.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Yup. I ask this every year.

My biggest example is Titanfall 2. It would've KILLED in July or August. Got dusted in the fall.

EDIT: More on topic, I have a Tomb Raider pre-order in on X1X, but I only have PS3, so there's that. But I have to say he's right as far as I go. Lara is a day one every time. Spidey is my favorite super hero and I love Insomniac, but I'd still probably Black Friday or Target's inevitable fall "Buy 2 get one free" it. Love me some Lara Croft.

Status
Not open for further replies.