• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018

Combining the best elements of action-adventure games with platform games and puzzle-solving, Tomb Raider (1996) provided gamers with a unique cinematic 3-D universe, leading-edge graphics, and a female protagonist who remains an iconic figure in gaming. Largely thanks to the character of Lara Croft, and Angelina Jolie's theatrical portrayal of her in a blockbuster movie, Tomb Raider enjoys a widespread appeal among gamers and non-gamers alike, and currently heads a franchise that has sold more than 63 million units worldwide. "The Guinness World Records cites Lara Croft as the 'most recognized female video game character' of all time," says Curator Shannon Symonds. "The character is not without controversy for her early status as a sex symbol, but she's evolved with the franchise to become the epitome of a strong female hero."

http://www.museumofplay.org/press/r...ld-video-game-hall-of-fame-inductees-revealed

Congrats to CD and SE.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Tomb Raider enters along with the other finalists Final Fantasy VII, John Madden Football, and Spacewar! All of the games inducted in the past 4 years can be found on the museum's web page. It was a lot of fun getting to help out on the WVGHoF this year :)

eC5SVQd.jpg

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats!

Not sure what she's recognized for at this point though? Seems like they've left most of the iconic Lara behind.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best female protagonist in any game ever imo, she popularised the "female protagonist" in video games, which is still a thing people want in games to this day. Having said that, without her early days of all that girl power and sex symbol she wouldn't have pathed ways for future protagonists.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome news. Hopefully with the next reboot they return to classic Lara along with a more fantastical world (and dinosaurs).

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just so it's noted, the selection criteria is:
  • Icon-status: the game is widely recognized and remembered.
  • Longevity: the game is more than a passing fad and has enjoyed popularity over time.
  • Geographical reach: the game meets the above criteria across international boundaries.
  • Influence: The game has exerted significant influence on the design and development of other games, on other forms of entertainment, or on popular culture and society in general. A game may be inducted on the basis of this criterion without necessarily having met all of the first three.]
Feel free to nominate games for next year!

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The best female protagonist in any game ever imo, she popularised the "female protagonist" in video games, which is still a thing people want in games to this day. Having said that, without her early days of all that girl power and sex symbol she wouldn't have pathed ways for future protagonists.
So true, the current Lara Croft wouldn't even have made a tiny bump in the history of gaming.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
So true, the current Lara Croft wouldn't even have made a tiny bump in the history of gaming.

But it's not just the "current" Lara that's being inducted. It's Lara Croft spanning from back to the original 90s games. The character Lara Croft has been around a long time now, current or classic, it's still Lara Croft. Stop shitting on her and her achievement.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Assuming anybody saying congratulations to "CD" are referring to Core as that looks like the first game alone is being inducted.

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
We got great videos from the team at Crystal Dynamics, along with a video from EA with NFL players like Tom Brady, and a video from Yoshinori Kitase, the director of FF7 and its remake.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm among those who've really appreciated (most of) the design changes in the current Tomb Raider games, but there's something to be said that I was able to go back and play Tomb Raider Underworld (which was recieved critically among the classic games) and still adore it for completely different reasons. This is a cool series, and I'm glad it's made so much progress growing past its more pandery roots.

Nov 15, 2017
I was checking the website and i'm kinda confused about something. The website lists certain games in a franchise ala Pokemon Red and Green as opposed to the franchise itself. So is it that only those games (listed) are the ones in the Hall of Fame or is it the franchise in general? And is it that only the first game in the franchise that can be inducted?

Congrats Tomb Raider, well deserved.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love the thank you vid shows new Lara and dead center is the climbing pick.

Thanks Old Lara for being awesome.

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I was checking the website and i'm kinda confused about something. The website lists certain games in a franchise ala Pokemon Red and Green as opposed to the franchise itself. So is it that only those games (listed) are the ones in the Hall of Fame or is it the franchise in general? And is it that only the first game in the franchise that can be inducted?

Congrats Tomb Raider, well deserved.

Individual games.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
The list of inductees could really use a RTS, maybe Command & Conquer or Starcraft for next year? Sim City? Populous?

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that official tweet is a bit misleading since it's only the first game that's been inducted, not the franchise as a whole but I'm assuming they worded it that way on purpose. In any case, it's well-deserved. Core's original Tomb Raider games were incredible and it's a real shame that there's nothing quite like them around anymore.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Fond memories of the old ones, exploring caves was always creepy when bats and tigers came jumping out of nowhere.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Core Design's masterpiece.

The original is still so engaging to play to this day. St. Francis Folly is one of the best levels in a ps1 game.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deserved, I have fond memories of TR2, my personal GOAT in the series.

bob smith

Nov 1, 2017
i remember buying that at lunch and they had the patch for i believe it was riva video cards and voodoo.

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
But it's not just the "current" Lara that's being inducted. It's Lara Croft spanning from back to the original 90s games. The character Lara Croft has been around a long time now, current or classic, it's still Lara Croft. Stop shitting on her and her achievement.
Uhh...that was his point I believe. Old Lara did all the heavy lifting (deserves all the credit) for the award.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
It didn't have Spacewar!? How do you miss having Spacewar! in a video game Hall of Fame? I mean other than Tennis for Two, it's about as early as you get in video games.

Ah well, that error is corrected now.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I replied to this: "Having said that, without her early days of all that girl power and sex symbol she wouldn't have pathed ways for future protagonists."
I know all about her achievements, love the serie, I just highly doubt that the current Lara Croft would've made her into such an icon...

X05

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Ms Croft, totally deserved.

Just so it's noted, the selection criteria is:
  • Icon-status: the game is widely recognized and remembered.
  • Longevity: the game is more than a passing fad and has enjoyed popularity over time.
  • Geographical reach: the game meets the above criteria across international boundaries.
  • Influence: The game has exerted significant influence on the design and development of other games, on other forms of entertainment, or on popular culture and society in general. A game may be inducted on the basis of this criterion without necessarily having met all of the first three.]
Feel free to nominate games for next year!
Are you sure on the 3rd point?
Madden and Oregon Trail don't really fit into that criteria.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. I still remember playing through the Saturn version at launch. Even though it was a bit rough, I was still impressed at the time.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that official tweet is a bit misleading since it's only the first game that's been inducted, not the franchise as a whole but I'm assuming they worded it that way on purpose. In any case, it's well-deserved. Core's original Tomb Raider games were incredible and it's a real shame that there's nothing quite like them around anymore.

This came up in a recent thread, in case folks are interested in some of the development history that led to some of the most distinctive qualities of those original Core Design games.

Also unfortunate that folks still fixate on the original character's admittedly crass sexualization to dismiss the original games/character entirely, but that's a long story (discussed a bit elsewhere: one / two).

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
wait... 63M for every game in the series, or for the first game TR1??

if it's for every different TR game, that doesn't seem right? Because didn't GTA5 just by itself sell 80M?

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wait... 63M for every game in the series, or for the first game TR1??

if it's for every different TR game, that doesn't seem right? Because didn't GTA5 just by itself sell 80M?
I think it's for the whole franchise. You have to remember that the market for video games was considerably smaller in the 90s (which is when Tomb Raider had its heyday) than it is today so a hugely successful game back then would've sold a significantly lower number of units than a hugely successful game today. This is also why, for example, the 2013 reboot game has reportedly sold more than the 1996 original in absolute sales numbers even though its marketshare is way smaller.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's for the whole franchise. You have to remember that the market for video games was considerably smaller in the 90s (which is when Tomb Raider had its heyday) than it is today so a hugely successful game back then would've sold a significantly lower number of units than a hugely successful game today. This is also why, for example, the 2013 reboot game has reportedly sold more than the 1996 original in absolute sales numbers even though its marketshare is way smaller.
It's franchise sales. This is a hall of fame for IP, not for individual entries.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's franchise sales. This is a hall of fame for IP, not for individual entries.
From what I understand, only the original game from 1996 was inducted into the hall of fame. The franchise sales were only brought into it by the official Twitter account in an attempt to somehow include the current Tomb Raider games in the conversation even though they've got nothing to do with it, really.