Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TR1

TR2

Core Design said:
Realtech VR have confirmed that Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider II and Tomb Raider III are planned for Steam for free and will require the purchase of the DOS version being sold on Steam (like ZDoom playing Doom games). Also the PC version will support OpenVR and features a new 3D engine for the 3 games.

They are currently working on the Tomb Raider III PC port and they will provide a trailer of it next month (currently scheduled for the 1st of April). They still need the greenlight for mobile version.

Core Design said:
More details about these remasters:
  • These are the PC ports of the recently released Android/iOS versions.
  • The engine was reconstructed for the latest OpenGL. A better looking post process (like better ambient occlusion, shadow), Windows 7 and Windows UWP (with potentially Xbox One version through Windows Store) is already made (and can be seen in the second video).
  • The post effect can be disabled (menus are not shown here), you can even switch to the legacy texture packs. Also the added effects you see in the first video were exaggerated on purpose for this build.
  • These unreleased versions properly supports Xbox 360/One game controllers, and also bug fixes from the original versions, and includes the Unfinished Business & The Golden Mask DLC packs.
In short, remasters of 1, 2 and 3 coming to Steam. 3 is coming at a later date.
Based off the mobile version, is running under OpenGL, has post processing such as AO, anisotropic filtering, 60 FPS (not locked to 30), controller support, expansions included, and more.

Source: Core Design
Realtech VR YT
Realtech VR Twitter

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow that is really impressive. I can't believe they are releasing it for free for those who already own them on Steam.

It will still be tank controls, I assume?

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Cool that they did this, even better that they're free to all owners of the game.

Mad props to the people behind these remasters, the mobile ports look ready good.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LMAO
Just watched the first video and while the controls are indeed bad (just as I remembered), the dude is also just horrible. As if he deliberately wants to sway any potential newcomer from playing this masterpiece. :D

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
LMAO
Just watched the first video and while the controls are indeed bad (just as I remembered), the dude is also just horrible. As if he deliberately wants to sway any potential newcomer from playing this masterpiece. :D

haha yeah, pretty funny videos to use. but it looks nice, for a free remaster.

Deleted member 932

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They could only do 30 fps with the source code? Reverse engineered OpenLara runs at 60 fps and is of course open source. Squeenix should be less greedy a give the source to the community.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Shame that they're not updating the controls. That's what prevents me from playing the older games, not the graphics. I've wanted to for a long time and I own them on Steam (so I'll get these for free, which is cool) but I just can't deal with the controls. I know the faithful swear by them due to the grid-based nature of the game, but I just can't.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Cool! coincidently i own all 3 Tomb raider games aside from the 2013 one which is a reboot, so it doesn't count. Looking forward to this.

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shame that they're not updating the controls. That's what prevents me from playing the older games, not the graphics. I've wanted to for a long time and I own them on Steam (so I'll get these for free, which is cool) but I just can't deal with the controls. I know the faithful swear by them due to the grid-based nature of the game, but I just can't.

You could play Tomb Raider Anniversary at least, that's a kinda modern take on the first game. Probably sacrilege in this this thread though.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is really cool.

I was gonna play through the series last year but after finishing the first one got stuck getting 2 to a playable state. I really hope this lets me play it without the hassle.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Wow really? That's awesome to hear! I've been waiting to replay them but ran into some annoying issues on the Steam versions.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Played through the first 3 on Steam between late last year and early this year, if I knew these remasters were gonna happen, I would have waited. :|

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
You could play Tomb Raider Anniversary at least, that's a kinda modern take on the first game. Probably sacrilege in this this thread though.
Oh yeah, definitely. But there's no remake of 2 or 3. Tho I recall a fan remake in the works that looked insane, but with it being a fan remake you know what that means...

EDIT: Just looked it up. Looks like it's just of 2 and that they released a demo last year and that's all there's going to be. Dev says "no full game for now." Welp.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I wonder what world scale they've decided on for the VR support. I'd like Lara and the tombs to feel miniature myself.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Thats pretty rad, i still these games have a lot to offer and standout even today.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. I played through TR1 fairly recently but this will tempt me to play through 2 as well.

Oct 27, 2017
This is awesome.
I played through TR1 on PC last year (or the year before, time flies) but it was a real hassle to get controllers working properly.
So just native 360/XBO controller support is a very welcome addition.
Plus widescreen.

Looking forward to finally playing through the levels in TR2 and 3 that I missed thanks to being a Saturn owner.

EDIT: Wait, doesn't SquareEnix have to sign off on this stuff?

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit this is the best news! Tomb Raider is still my favorite ever, and I played through it recently with the keyboard. It would be dope to have the precision of a PlayStation D-pad for the jumps, like the original releases. I also tried the mobile paired with a Hori pad, and it felt good!

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
They where so fucking cheap a few days ago, but I didn't nabbed them because I wanted on GOG. :|

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK MEEEEEEEEEEE

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty neat! RealtechVR was the developer behind the iOS & Android ports of TR1 and TR2:
http://raidingtheglobe.com/news/a-tomb-raider-1-pc-remaster-might-happen
April 2017... Realtech VR (developer of the classic Tomb Raider 1's iOS and Android ports) just announced they'd love to release a PC version of their HD-textured, graphically upgraded, and audio-fixed TR1...
http://www.well-rendered.com/2015/05/lara-in-my-pocket-tomb-raider-on.html
...Tomb Raider on Android apparently supports a gamepad, and although the reviews I've read on the suggest this is implemented well, I didn't try it out… Yes, I said "fantastic". Tomb Raider really does look great especially if, like me, you last played it on the PlayStation... There are some really lovely textures that look like actual photographs, and overall the game is bright and sharp. Of course the models are blocky compared to just about anything else on the Android, but the game is so well-designed that you quickly stop noticing and become immersed in its world… If you're still not sure whether you want to play Tomb Raider on a 4-inch screen, you should be aware that it includes the Unfinished Business levels, which, as far as I'm aware, never made it to PlayStation. That means that for many long-term fans such as myself, this will be the first opportunity to play them...

https://twitter.com/realtech_VR/status/969654332068126721
Yes we have it. We will provide a trailer next month of the PC version of TR3. We still need the greenlight for mobile version [of TR3].

The release of their work on the iOS/Android platforms (as the official versions of TR1 and TR2) obviously required the green light from Square Enix, but in this case (the Steam release), it looks like they're still currently planning to release their work as a mod for the Steam version:

Trekkie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that I remember being excited to play the very first Tomb Raider when it originally came out makes me feel old

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
Yhea about that... no thanks.

And the good old Tomb Raiders, Core Design, play best with a keyboard. But its nice to have options.

Vlaphor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
Looks like I own them both on Steam and GOG, so I'm looking forward to this. Also, I'm kind of curious about the OpenVR implementation.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Looks OK at best but can't say no to free. Glad I picked these up from the Humble bundle ages ago.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Game looks strange, the bloom lighting, and Lara has a strange glow on her.

I agree with this. The bloom lighting looks kinda weird.

Its not just 'look ok'. They are fixing numerous issues on the current Steam version, along with improvements under the hood to make the game perform better. no DOSBox, re-adding the extra contents, higher res display, OPENGL 4.5, Windows 7 and UWP support etc

It's not particularly hard to get the original games running at 1080p or higher with a 16:9 aspect ratio...

BY2iuyE.jpg

It's nice that they are making this much more accessible to people who don;t want to do their own modding.

Considering that the version they are porting to PC is using OpenGL, I would like to see them release a Linux port (and OSX, I guess) of all three titles as well.

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
I read "remasters" and was caught off-guard of a minute. So is this just an engine remaster in order to make the games play nice with modern hardware and APIs?

Visually it doesn't look any different to me, though I haven't played the original TR games for quite a while.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with this. The bloom lighting looks kinda weird.

It's not particularly hard to get the original games running at 1080p or higher with a 16:9 aspect ratio...

BY2iuyE.jpg

It's nice that they are making this much more accessible to people who don;t want to do their own modding.

Considering that the version they are porting to PC is using OpenGL, I would like to see them release a Linux port (and OSX, I guess) of all three titles as well.

Bloom is configurable.

Big change is 60fps instead of 30fps of originals.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
So how exactly is VR supposed to work with the original Tomb Raiders? Are they being converting to first-person, or are you supposed to play as a floating head third-person?