NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Hi Era,

so after a long struggle to finally start Tomb Raider III, after finishing almost all of the old Core Design games, I recently started it, and just reached Antartica. And now I know why it took me so long to finally start it, lol.

I'm playing the Japanese release on Playstation 1, was interesting that Enix was the publisher for this game in Japan, back in the day.
And I'm honest, I'm using a 100 % walkthrough video on YouTube, because holy shit, the whole level structure is just crazy, and I mean that in a bad way...I would certainly be stuck a lot of times, especially in Aldwych, Madubu Gorge or even the beginning of India, if I haven't used a video guide.

A lot of traps are also not really visible or you know of them if you're already died by them.
The part in Area 51, where you start the nuke was some fun stuff, in the moment where it started I didn't know that you had to leave the room quickly through the door which opened, used a save crystal and yeah, basically when I did reload the save, I was always toast, lol. So I had to restart the level.

The secrets, are well secrets, but some placements are really ridicolous, also the item placement of ammunition or medkits.
And reading that All Hollows was cut, because the level was just to difficult to incorporate it in a normal playthrough is crazy.
As often mentioned, Core Design really was creating TR III for TR veterans and less for new people who wanted to try this game.

I must imagine this game took ages without a proper walkthrough.
So Era, how was your first experience with Tomb Raider III?

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
Brutal game, but I adored it for the most part barring some London bits. You're spot-on about it being made for TR vets haha.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
Coming off Tomb Raider II, which I really enjoyed, I hated this with a passion at the time. Sneaking around Area 51 with a laser sighted MP5,, you know, classic Tomb Raider stuff. Put me off the brand for years, and I loved the first two.

Oct 30, 2017
Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider II were very reasonable and enjoyable games, the levels design were simply brilliant and manageable.

Then comes the mother confusing of all that was Tomb Raider III… till this day I don't understand what happened while designing the levels of this game, it's like Core Design expected the players to read their minds :/

Especially the London levels… oh my fucking universe they are the biggest headache of them all !!!!

The only TR game from the classic that I hate to replay, which is a shame because the atmosphere is top notch.

TCB

Oct 19, 2019
I remember marathoning all the games on PC years ago, and one thing that I noticed after beating III was that I used like 4 times the amount of saves as the previous 2 games.

I have no idea how people beat it on PS with the save crystals. If you did, you deserve a medal.

OP
OP
NovumVeritas

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
It's my favourite Tomb Raider game and I've completed it multiple times without using a guide.

I wish modern games could have this kind of epic scale, labyrinthine level design.
Wow, this is amazing, how long did it took you?
You've found all secrets without a guide as well?

The labyrinthine design in this one is very confusing, but in general I like this kind of stuff as well.

Lamine

Nov 28, 2023
One of the hardest games ever made
I have no fucking idea how I finished it back in the day with no guides

Oct 27, 2017
You're playing the PSOne version with the broken gamma and save crystals? Why do you hate yourself so much? XD

Tomb Raider 3 is an amazing game in many ways but yeah, this is most certainly aimed at the fans who completed the first two games.

I joked in the main OT that TR3 is pretty much what happens when you design every single level as if it was the Temple of Xian in TR2.

It's my favourite Tomb Raider game and I've completed it multiple times without using a guide.

I wish modern games could have this kind of epic scale, labyrinthine level design.
I have completed 3 multiple times too and can mostly complete it without a guide nowadays but even after multiple playthroughs, Aldwych and Lud's can still catch me out and get me scratching my head.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
Not bad, that's awesome :)
Even with a guide it took me one hour completing Area 51, probably would've taken me longer without any help.
I've been playing the games since they originally came out. 3 came out when I was 7 years old lol. So I have a bit of experience, it wasn't until my 20s that I was able to finish the games.

would be a significantly better game if London wasn't there :(
My favourite area of my Tomb Raider game lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh that's why the fucking water parts were so dark, lol.
The Japanese version has health crystals, I think you can save all the time via the Japanese release.
Yeah, the PSOne version had the gamma set too low (I read a few years back but that it was a mistake), hence why it's so stupidly dark everywhere, making flares pretty essential. Wasn't as big an issue on PC, where the gamma was adjustable.

OP
OP
NovumVeritas

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I've been playing the games since they originally came out. 3 came out when I was 7 years old lol. So I have a bit of experience, it wasn't until my 20s that I was able to finish the games.
Damn, that's some dedication :)
I see, but still, completing TR 3 without a guide, I've would've probably finished in a month, lol.

Yeah, the PSOne version had the gamma set too low (I read a few years back but that it was a mistake), hence why it's so stupidly dark everywhere, making flares pretty essential. Wasn't as big an issue on PC, where the gamma was adjustable.
Makes totally sense, made Lud's Gate fucking bad, gamma wise, the flares duration was also lowered, it was way higher in TR II as well.
I should probably retry TR 3 with the remastered version, if I recovered from my PS 1 play, lol.

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
I went through a TR1-6 replay marathon last month and i actually came away appreciating TR3 a lot more than before. yea the game's full of bullshit, but its nice thats its still challenging for me instead of a breezy trip down memory lane like the other 4. i like it almost feels like an old-school dungeon crawler at times

and out of the first 5, i still like TR3's look best with the colored lighting before they updated the lighting and smoothed out the models for TR4

OP, i would definitely recommend playing TR3's The Lost Artifact expansion after, it has some of the best levels in the whole series and it's not filled with BS like TR3. Only thing is, there's no PS1 version, somebody was working on converting it but it never got finished. Only way to play it now is remaster or OG PC version

OP
OP
NovumVeritas

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
OP, i would definitely recommend playing TR3's The Lost Artifact expansion after, it has some of the best levels in the whole series and it's not filled with BS like TR3. Only thing is, there's no PS1 version, somebody was working on converting it but it never got finished. Only way to play it now is remaster or OG PC version
Thanks for the recommendation, also read good things about the TR 3 expansion.
I've the TR Remastered collection on PS5, I will certainly give it a look, after I've completed TR 3.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
My girlfriend got jealous during my playthrough because I was always talking about some stella girl.

Good stuff.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I hate everything about TR3. Or to be more precise, this is what I hate about it:

Slopes
Spikes
Slopes with spikes
Barbed wire
Corners
Fire
Water
Cold water
Water currents
Waterfalls
Buggies
Canoes
Inflatable boats
Minecarts
Going too fast on minecarts
Going too slow on minecarts
Going up a ramp on minecarts
Going down a ramp on minecarts
Turning on minecarts
Whatever the fuck this is
Diver propulsion vehicles
Gravity
Poisoned darts
Snakes
Ledges
Deserts
Jungles
Forests
Cranes
Snow
Trees
Plants
Fooliage in general
Quicksand
Bolders
BOLDERS
FUCKING BOLDERS
Drilling machinery
Anything that swings, turns, spins, rotates or makes any kind of pendular movement
Falling objects (ie the celling)
Doors
Levers
Switches
Power generators
Crates
Maps
Light
Dark
Lasers
Fixed machine gun turrets
Rockets (rocket exhaust plumes to be precise)
Alien induced genetically modified monstrosities
Crows
Vultures
Wasps
The sound of wasps
Wasps' stings
Triangles

Oct 27, 2017
My favourite area of my Tomb Raider game lol.
Yeah, even though it's hard and full of bullshit, I do love the London levels too. They are dripping in atmosphere.

Actually, this was one of the very few areas where I wasn't super happy with the graphic updates in the Remastered Collection. I largely loved what they did across all the games, but Thames Wharf doesn't look right at all. It had a very dark, atmospheric vibe in the original and I loved the really striking highlights, but they really brightened it up and changed the colour palette and it loses something in the process.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I hate everything about TR3. Or to be more precise, this is what I hate about it:

Slopes
Spikes
Slopes with spikes
Barbed wire
Corners
Fire
Water
Cold water
Water currents
Waterfalls
Buggies
Canoes
Inflatable boats
Minecarts
Going too fast on minecarts
Going too slow on minecarts
Going up a ramp on minecarts
Going down a ramp on minecarts
Turning on minecarts
Whatever the fuck this is
Diver propulsion vehicles
Gravity
Poisoned darts
Snakes
Ledges
Deserts
Jungles
Forests
Cranes
Snow
Trees
Plants
Fooliage in general
Quicksand
Bolders
BOLDERS
FUCKING BOLDERS
Drilling machinery
Anything that swings, turns, spins, rotates or makes any kind of pendular movement
Falling objects (ie the celling)
Doors
Levers
Switches
Power generators
Crates
Maps
Light
Dark
Lasers
Fixed machine gun turrets
Rockets (rocket exhaust plumes to be precise)
Alien induced genetically modified monstrosities
Crows
Vultures
Wasps
The sound of wasps
Wasps' stings
Triangles

LMFAOOOOOO post of the year.

OP
OP
NovumVeritas

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
So, I've completed it today and the last levels were some crazy stuff, lol.
At least now I can say, I've finally beaten TR III as well.
Got all secrets, so I've completed All Hollows, still odd they cut that out.
The reason why they cut that out is sure interesting, because other levels in the TR III main campaign are sometimes way harder, than All Hollows was.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
I remember thinking Area 51 was a cool level but they really should've made it so human enemies take less shots to kill. Those guys can eat and eat and eat lead.