• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

More than a year after Alicia Vikander debuted as Lara Croft in 2018's Tomb Raider, MGM and Warner Bros. are looking to jumpstart a sequel.

MGM tapped Amy Jump, who adapted High-Rise for actor Tom Hiddleston and co-wrote Free Fire with Ben Wheatley, to start development on Tomb Raider 2, EW has learned.

Plot details are still under wraps at this point, but given that the first film, written by Geneva Robertson-Dworet and Alastair Siddons, was rooted so heavily in the prequel video game trilogy, fans can probably come up with a few guesses.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/12/tomb-raider-2-alicia-vikander-amy-jump/

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I love how the point of the reboot games is that there really ARE magical monsters and queens and witches and stuff, and the 2018 movie was just like "nah, lol, its just a virus, fuck outta here with your bullshit".

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Alicia was GREAT. Many issues with the direction of the movie but replace the director and we're good. We need Alicia as an action star. She was lean, ripped and believable.

Reminder: It grossed as much as the first Angelina one.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
How about no?

You can already see the stack of money being burned. Its going to be a even less relevant and do a lot worse.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Absolutely terrible film, but Vikander is a solid Lara.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind them skipping Rise (phenomenal game, but the story is a bit too B-movie to work here) and taking a second shot at Shadow's story. Feel like if they took another pass at the concept, it could work.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thrilled about this. And I've been waiting a long time for a formal announcement.

This is one of the few sequels I wanted from recent films. Just need me a Power Rangers sequel with the same cast too.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the few sequels I wanted from recent films. Just need me a Power Rangers sequel with the same cast too.
They're working on a second movie, but I'm not sure about the cast. Really hope they don't wait so long that the cast ages out of their roles.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
There will never be a good Tomb Raider movie made while I'm alive. Why are these movies making money?

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I wouldn't mind them skipping Rise (phenomenal game, but the story is a bit too B-movie to work here) and taking a second shot at Shadow's story. Feel like if they took another pass at the concept, it could work.

That might not be a bad shout. Runs out on her first proper adventure of her own doing and completely fucks it for the locals.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't bad at all. I'd watch another.

Just need less of those forced grunts when jumping. Less gamey basically.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Fantastic news, the first is the best video game movie of all time and a genuinely fun action film in its own right. Hope they go for the R rating this time though.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
The first one was very poor - it basically omitted everything rich and alluring about Yayoi period Japan that was present in the game, and had little to do with Japanese culture. Maybe this one could be better with the new writer involved, but I'm not counting on it. The Jolie films are probably as good as it will get - and those were highly influential to the games.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
It was not the worst movie I have ever seen but it was incredibly forgettable. I'll give it another shot if the trailers look decent.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
It was fucking dull. Take the remake game and strip out any of the interesting stuff. Watch the trailer instead.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, did not expect that.

I found it boring and missed the charm that old movie Lara had. The actress did a fine job though.

Hopefully they remember that Lara does interact with supernatural stuff and offering up a scientific explanation of what she finds is not a good option.

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i guess the first did okay enough on video, maybe the WW #s weren't awful either?

i could see why they'd march on with it as a franchise but i would've thought it was dead as a doornail

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Unpopular opinion : Angelina Jolie's tomb raider was another level compared to the mediocre new one .

Oct 27, 2017
53Tjbkz.gif