• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Plus some other countries I think.

I just downloaded it and played a few levels.

Here's some gameplay(not my video):

I've beat the first world and played about 1/2 the second one. Looks like at the moment there's 7 worlds with 20-50 screens in each. So far very little in the way of puzzles. There was like 1 puzzle per 10 screens in what I've played so far and completing the puzzle in time gave you one of the many currencies the game has.

j5kUM76l.png
OhGCI0Fl.png
qeM8Kznl.png

5KUpo4Ml.png
REwPAA2l.png
p85lPHTl.png

LlC0yNnl.png
Cl29ZvMl.png
cHluBwjl.png

It's got every single mobile game mechanic in it.

-Tickets to play which take time to generate(or you can pay to bypass)
-Ads to bypass time restrictions, to give you a second try(only one life per run otherwise), or to get some free currancy
-Multiple currencies
-loot boxes
-daily log in bonuses

You name it, it has it.

Gameplay wise, there's a single virtual analog stick. Laura auto aims and only shoots when motionless. Always shoots at the closest enemy(or two enemies if you are rockin her dual pistols) You can get passive abilities like dropping bombs where you stand so you can lure enemies into them and whatnot.

First boss kicked my ass and it took a bit of leveling before I could beat it. Weird thing was, the boss was different the second time I got to it and was way easier. Second time I got to the first boss it had attacks that were easier to see coming and dodge. First time around I was just eating every attack without knowing how to avoid them. Maybe that was done on purpose to teach you about runs and upgrading.

Don't have an opinion on how fun the gameplay is yet. I do want to play more of it though.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
And people were worried about TR after the Marvel and Perfect Dark news.
The IP is well and alive, nothing to be worried about.

I've been playing it for the last few days on Android in Sweden. Weird. I got it as an ad on Instagram and thought it was out officially.

But the game does get boring and monotonous fast. And some of the later bosses are absolutely insane to kill. I got way further in Archero in the same time and had more fun.

I'm eager to try out the Archero clone of Doom but haven't heard about that in a while.

OP
OP
krae_man

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
looks very much like Archero

youtu.be

Archero - Gameplay Trailer (iOS)

Gameplay Trailers Playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGtZwVE-T07vFhQZ753ADK2IYrAPQPSLT⭐️Channel Membership - https://www.youtube.com/@TapGamep...

Wow, it sure does. They don't seem to have the same devs behind it best I can tell.Will devs sell their template for others to put skins on it on mobile? I don't know how that works.

Jun 24, 2021
I remember when for a hot minute mobile gaming on smart devices looked like it could replace the DS and PSP. But then it turned into whatever this shit is that I see in every mobile game ever, and I remember why I stopped gaming on those devices 10 years ago.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Every time she makes that jump I think she's not going to make it lol

Looks like it could get old fast to be honest. Not much in the way of variety in that video at least. Was nice to hear the main theme again though.

OP
OP
krae_man

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Played for a little bit today. It's fun enough for me to keep at it. There's lots of grinding to level up your stuff before you can make a serious run at the stages as you progress. It's a more than just learning the rooms. Even after you lean the rooms you might not be strong enough to realistically keep going sometimes.

Or maybe I just have to git gud.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Wow, it sure does. They don't seem to have the same devs behind it best I can tell.Will devs sell their template for others to put skins on it on mobile? I don't know how that works.

Fun fact about mobile gaming: companies often make "fake" games released under random names to test mechanics before making the same games with established IPs.

Not saying that's the case here, but it wouldn't surprise me.

OP
OP
krae_man

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing it for the last few days on Android in Sweden. Weird. I got it as an ad on Instagram and thought it was out officially.

But the game does get boring and monotonous fast. And some of the later bosses are absolutely insane to kill. I got way further in Archero in the same time and had more fun.

I'm eager to try out the Archero clone of Doom but haven't heard about that in a while.

The bosses are all over the place. There are some bosses that are easy as pie to kill without taking damage. There's a couple that have attacks and patterns that are easy to recognize so it's doable to beat with minimal damage. Others are just bullshit unless you get really favorable level up upgrades. I've hit a wall in world 5. It seems to be a boss rush level(and possibly was at one point the last stage before updates) and it is just insane. You are fighting old bosses that are more powerful than ever and you fight them screen 1 so you have jack shit for upgrades. And it's luck of the draw what order you get the bosses in. Some are manageable with a crappy pea shooter, the others are impossible without being well specced.

It's not helping that I haven't got a ring drop yet so having an empty gear slot is not helping. Nor is not finding any of the relic pieces yet that aid with boss battles. I did find the third whale piece today so that is slow going.

Finished the weekly challenge today and the box had a rare mask but the game gave me an epic one when I unlocked that ability so that didn't help much either.

The bosses are all over the place. There are some bosses that are easy as pie to kill without taking damage. There's a couple that have attacks and patterns that are easy to recognize so it's doable to beat with minimal damage. Others are just bullshit unless you get really favorable level up upgrades. I've hit a wall in world 5. It seems to be a boss rush level(and possibly was at one point the last stage before updates) and it is just insane. You are fighting old bosses that are more powerful than ever and you fight them screen 1 so you have jack shit for upgrades. And it's luck of the draw what order you get the bosses in. Some are manageable with a crappy pea shooter, the others are impossible without being well specced.

It's not helping that I haven't got a ring drop yet so having an empty gear slot is not helping. Nor is not finding any of the relic pieces yet that aid with boss battles. I did find the third whale piece today so that is slow going.

Finished the weekly challenge today and the box had a rare mask but the game gave me an epic one when I unlocked that ability so that didn't help much either.

Yeah. agree with you on the first paragraph completely. I stopped playing the game completely. I got way further in archero because it was at least fair and consistent with scaling difficulty to upgrades.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I had very low expectations for this, but still it's worse than I thought. And this is the only release Square Enix has for this year, which is the franchise's 25th anniversary. Their complete mismanagement of this IP is absurdly baffling.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
After the amazing Lara Croft Go this looks pretty lame.

Run of the mill mobile fodder

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the art style of the game.

Straight up, if they remade the classic TR games with that exact visual style I would not even complain. And I mean 1:1 remakes - tank controls and everything. That would not work with realistic visuals I don't think but with a cartoon style like this I think it would be just fine.

OP
OP
krae_man

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
I've had to grind that 4th world for a few days. Managed to find all the relic pieces including the ones that specifically aid in boss battles so I can actually make a run at the 5th world now.

There's a loot box that cost 300 gems that has a chance at a epic gear item(items go common, uncommon, rare, epic). But you can buy a 10 pack for 2800 gems and you get one guaranteed epic. I want to try and get to 2800 gems without paying a penny. I'm 1/2 way there right now.

OP
OP
krae_man

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Well, couple of things happened today.

1st, I completed the last world. I had a really lucky leveling up build and beat the last world without even reviving when my previous best was floor 19 with a revive(it has 50 floors). Leech is so OP. It gives you 3% HP for every kill. All those floors with 10+ easy enemies and a few hard enemies gave me free 30% HP and the bosses that respawned minions were easy HP during boss battles. That was a perfect run.

2nd, I'm 10 gems away from my goal of being able to buy that 10 pack of loot boxes without spending a penny.

There's still a few things to do so to speak. There's a bomber jacket I haven't unlocked yet. The daily log in bonus 6 days from now will unlock that. It also has some perks that unlock if you use it to clear specific stages.

I also still need to find 5 relic parts. They are a random spawn in puzzle rooms and I've found 10 of the 15 of them but I still have those last 5 to get.

Then it will be nothing until they add more content.

OP
OP
krae_man

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
The game updated over the weekend. It went from version 0.11 to 0.12.

They added a minute or so cutscene at the beginning of the game. Lara becomes invincible after defeating a boss so she can't die from a projectile fucking her up after the boss died while you were stuck in the "you leveled up, pick your next upgrade" screen which happened to me a couple times. Some other minor tweaks as well.

There are now scrolls you can buy with the premium gem currency to increase the drop rate of coins and shards prior to the start of a run.

There's also a book at the bottom corner of the UI that used to just say coming soon when you clicked it. Now it takes you to an events page. There are no events in it yet, just the ability to buy event tickets with the premium currency.