• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Tomb raider release date announcements are always spot on, no 2/3 years bullshit of teasers and trailers and more trailers with no release dates, tomb raider announces their games and they release soon, thats hiw every game should be, monster hunter did that and didnt suffer at all, quite the oposite.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
I wasn't thrilled with the direction they went in for Rise, but really liked '13. I hope they can find a happy medium between the two for this final installment (or just make the whole thing happy in general?).

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Hopefully finale of the origin trilogy means that the next game is set after some other part of the series. Like retcon the games to be a prequel series to the 2006 trilogy or something.

Brerlappin

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Less weaksauce combat and focus on boring story, more raiding tombs and stuff please.

Dec 6, 2017
US
It's fetishized with all the close ups and blood on the camera, but the same is true for a lot of games.

Not addressing you specifically with this post in general but I agree with you as well. However, and like I said, I don't think it was particularly on purpose, but the unfortunate voice acting in some of those scenes is what made it feel a bit creepy to me.

Edit: Just to clarify, that is nowhere near my biggest problem with that game or anything.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
DYP__88W0AEBHL9.jpg:large

prepare yourselves for the reveal thread folks
switch would be great

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to say no one should be expecting a reduction in level size from Rise as the larger hubs fit with the survival motif of the new TR. However, considering the change in developers who knows how it's shaping up. Wonder why Crystal isn't leading.

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Awesome news. Please bring back the death scenes from first game of this trilogy. Captured the essence of the old games.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Not addressing you specifically with this post in general but I agree with you as well. However, and like I said, I don't think it was particularly on purpose, but the unfortunate voice acting in some of those scenes is what made it feel a bit creepy to me.

bottom line for me? this kind of stuff had never been part of the tomb raider universe until this reboot. quite the contrary, actually. cd basically turned the dial from zero to ten on this element :) ...

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
13 > Rise of.

I'm incredibly upset with how they handled Sam's character in the sequel comic so if she's not in it they fucked up.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017

Edit: Just to clarify, that is nowhere near my biggest problem with that game or anything.
Oh no, I think it's more sexualized in this game, but I just didn't want to get into a debate. Because maybe it's just us, we see a woman getting impaled with a large metal pole while making moaning sounds and our minds just go to the gutter.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
jschreier Do you know if this is the last planned Tomb Raider game? It strikes me as implausible that Eidos Montreal can staff Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and another Tomb Raider given the ever rising demands of game development, and Crystal Dynamics already seems all in on Avengers.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like Rise of the Tomb Raider as much as I hoped, but if they were to incorporate some aspects of Blood Ties into Shadow of the Tomb Raider like the moody exploration and puzzle solving, it will likely be my favorite game in the series. Of course, I would also like for them to expand on the platforming and stealth/combat elements, but that should be a given. I assume they're doing another open hub world again, I just hope that it's not too generic setting like Siberia was. I found Yamatai intriguing with a ton of a mystique and character. Uncovering the mystery of the island, learning about Himiko and the Stormguard, and learning about the disturbing events that took place there made the exploration worth it. Siberia on the other hand was mostly forgettable, and I was never engaged with the setting.

If this stays consistent with the comic series, I'm guessing Lara will finally take down Trinity and find out who The Cardinal is. This could open the door for future, classic-style Tomb Raider adventures for Lara, unless by 'origin story' they mean the conclusion to her entire story. Also, they teased the dual pistols in Blood Ties (she takes Roth's pistols that she used to kill Mathias with in the first game), so we might get to use those again.

Last edited:

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to say no one should be expecting a reduction in level size from Rise as the larger hubs fit with the survival motif of the new TR. However, considering the change in developers who knows how it's shaping up. Wonder why Crystal isn't leading.
Crystal isn't because they are working on the Avengers game.

Dec 6, 2017
US
How was the platforming in ROTTR by the way compared to the first?

I'm allergic to the Uncharted auto-platforming crap and really would need to see a focus on challenging platforming return to the series for me to give another entry a shot after the initial reboot.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
it would be hilarious if the leak on the powerpoint presentation in a bus was true and this was The Fall of Tomb Raider or whatever it was called. Public transport strikes again

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Disagree with you here. They got rid of it in the second game, but the first game had some really sexualized death scenes. It made me so uncomfortable.
The violence in TR'13 was excessive but I didn't get something sexual from it. Some of it made me wince and that was the intent. I also remember people disliking Lara's panting but it never bothered me.

Crystal isn't because they are working on the Avengers game.
Interesting. They put a lot of care into TR so it's strange to see it handed off.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I still have to play the last one. Loved the first though. One of my favorites the year it came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.