• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very surprising comment:

Famitsu: We think there are a lot of fans who were surprised by the title announcement at the end of last year and the sudden release of early demo at the end of March. First of all, we were surprised that the name of this title is not Bravely Third but Bravely Default II, so how were the details on this development getting started?

Asano: Before I talk about the title name in more detail, first of all please allow me to apologise about Bravely Second. Despite receiving a lot of expectations for Bravely Second, we feel like there were parts that didn't live up to all fans' expectations. The introspection from Bravely Second has taken a deep, strong root in production for all titles being worked on by our team right now.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Second was way better than Default, though.

Well except for the music.

May 21, 2019
I hate to say it, but I'm starting to feel like Blackkite's translations aren't very good, like half the time the English barely makes sense. Like what is this?

"Fairy's Effect also made a very good start that it gave a pushing wind to us."

"We proceeded on developing Octopath Traveler with that introspection in our chests."

On topic: I'm surprised he apologized. I didn't think Bravely Second was that bad.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe SE should have given them more budget after the first game sold a million

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Doesnt make any sense - Bravely Second was great.
3DS was a afterthought for SE once the PS4 for released - with the budget they had for the game it probably was the best they could realize. Its still one of the better games on the system.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Feels refreshing for a devolper to so openly be on board to taking criticism and feedback.
I didn't think second was "awful" or anything but it was pretty forgettable.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bravely Second was still great. They did the best they could with what they were given.

Won't deny having Revo back is hype though.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
ooooh so there it is a sequel to bravely default..

my brother and i couldnt pinpoint why do we felt the name bravely default II was weird

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Have to believe it isn't Asano's fault that Second's budget appeared slashed compared to Default's, but this type of earnest sincerity with fans is why I love Team Asano.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Yeah I'm not getting what he's talking about--I thought Bravely Second was great.

The fact you didn't have to play the damn game five times to get the true ending made it better than its predecessor.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the candidness. I personally really didn't like Bravely Second, but a lot of that had to do with despising the soundtrack so much that I couldn't play with the sound on, which led to me just fizzling out on the game. That hasn't happened to me very often.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
maybe SE should have given them more budget after the first game sold a million

Big waste of potential. SE never believed in the game.
When the first one released in Japan, it had a load of shortages. Despite the hype in the West, they took their sweet time to localize it. They didn't even care to publish it. Despite that, it sold over a million units.

And yet, when they greenlit a sequel, they decided to give an even lower budget.

May 13, 2019
When the first one released in Japan, it had a load of shortages. Despite the hype in the West, they took their sweet time to localize it. They didn't even care to publish it. Despite that, it sold over a million units.

And yet, when they greenlit a sequel, they decided to give an even lower budget.
I recall reading that SE never planned to release the game worldwide and that Nintendo footed the bill.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was because they were doing Octopath Traveler (which I hope is next in line for a sequel).

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well, yeah, Second was much worse than Default I, I agree.

I can't agree. The only part where it's unequivocally worse is the music. They made great strides in the battle/jobs system, greatly reduced the repetitive elements of the plot, and made a generally good sequel all around.

It's just a shame they didn't have the budget at the time to avoid having to reuse the world map (and dungeons? don't quite remember).

I'm still not entirely convinced they'll leave the sequel hook at the end of Second hanging, but will have to wait and see on that front.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Asano has said in the past that it wouldn't have been localised at all if Nintendo didn't pick it up, so that's an understatement if anything.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Surprising comment but I can see where he's coming from. This honestly seems like a roundabout admittance that SE really screwed them over. Second was an improvement in some regards over the original but a big step back in terms of budget and the soundtrack, which made the first one such a memorable experience for me. I guess at least the soundtrack was out of their hands with Revo being busy iirc.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I recall reading that SE never planned to release the game worldwide and that Nintendo footed the bill.
Asano has said in the past that it wouldn't have been localised at all if Nintendo didn't pick it up, so that's an understatement if anything.

That was my understanding as well, but I prefered to be cautious on my statement. In any case, it just shows how little faith they had and how much they limited the potential of the serie.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
That was my understanding as well, but I prefered to be cautious on my statement. In any case, it just shows how little faith they had and how much they limited the potential of the serie.
They still do this stuff. Octopath Traveller was also heavily supply constrained in Japan (the only region SE was actually in charge of publishing). The fact it managed to do as well as it did is in no small part down to Nintendo marketing and shipping enough of the product.

Second had a noticeable improvement in gameplay. A lot of the new jobs were incredible. The problem is that pretty much everything else felt like a downgrade from Default. Especially the music. Ryo from Supercell is not a bad composer, but he could not follow up to Revo's work in the original game at all.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Usually Amazon.jp reviews are a pretty good analogue for Metacritic user scores in the rest of the world... but looking it up the Amazon.jp reviews aren't bad at all? I can only imagine this is an internal sentiment where they had expectations about how much people would like it, and maybe they feel like they strongly missed that bar? Not sure how to read this otherwise.

May 13, 2019
I wonder why. There's nothing (really) questionable in the game that would prevent a possible localization. Perhaps, as it was previously stated, SE didn't have any faith on the project and didn't want to spend more than the spare change they give to the developer.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the candidness. I personally really didn't like Bravely Second, but a lot of that had to do with despising the soundtrack so much that I couldn't play with the sound on, which led to me just fizzling out on the game. That hasn't happened to me very often.

but how are you a dragon quest fan then?

;)

Gardios

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I mean loved Second way more than Default so...

But hey, if he's in the apologizing mood can he also apologize for how trash the demo for Default 2 is? I've never played a demo that unsold me so hard on series I previously really enjoyed.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like if anything related to Bravely Default was deserving of an apology, it was the back half of BD1. An absolute slog, and it managed to transform one of what was becoming one of a friend's all-time favorite games into an utter trashfire in her eyes.

In that sense, it's no wonder that BD2 did worse. How many people did BD1 burn?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why. There's nothing (really) questionable in the game that would prevent a possible localization. Perhaps, as it was previously stated, SE didn't have any faith on the project and didn't want to spend more than the spare change they give to the developer.

That's 100% why. It's also why we only got DQVIIR and DQVIII3D right at the end of the 3DS' life, Nintendo had to do their job for them.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm still not even half-way through Bravely Default. I feel like I've been there forever....

Hopefully I'll be done when BD2 rolls around.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
That's such a weird thing to apologise for. Most people would say Second wasn't as good as Default, but very few would outright say it was bad or anything. I'd think it was well received overall.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Dang. Straight up apologizing for a game lacking quality. Could you imagine someone like Capcom apologizing for BoF6? Or DMC2, DMC4, DmC, RE6, RE3make, Umbrella Corps, MvC:I or Dead Rising 4? Or Konami for Vandal Hearts Flames of Judgment, the Suikoden spin-offs, Silent Hill HD Collection, Contra Rogue Corps or MGSurvive? Or even Square for FF13, FF15's canceled DLC, Xenogears' second half or Third Birthday? Japan does value apologies a lot, but it's not something you hear a lot from entertainment companies.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I like Second just as much as Default, but I understand why he is apologizing. The tone from Second was nothing like the one from Default, with the latter being a serious story with stakes and emotional turmoil. Second in comparison is like... a parody or something, just look at Ball Buster Magnolia or the MC obsessed with gravy. Very similar to the tone shift of FFX to X-2. Personally, I am fine with either and I thought both games executed their tone fairly well for what they were, but it definitely was a weird-ass direction to take.

I guess he could be talking about the music or the content reuse too, but I don't think that's worth apologizing.