• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
OXM-1.png

So a new issue of of OXM came out that has a meaty 9-10 page article on RE3. It actually has a lot of new details, so I thought I'd summarize them here.

HEADS-UP, some of these details are laced with spoilers, so if you want to go in as blind as possible, you probably shouldn't read this.

But here's some new RE3 details:
-It is confirmed Nemesis is the first monster in Resident Evil history to break the "Safe Room" rule. If he's chasing you, he can break into safe rooms.
UPDATE:
This was said in the magazine, but there's been a clarification made to GamesRadar that this was a misunderstanding and was not a safe room: https://www.gamesradar.com/dont-worry-resident-evil-3-safe-rooms-are-safe-confirm-capcom/

-The devs kinda' used Mr. X as a way to gather some feedback on Nemesis, though their goal all along was to make Nemesis a more terrifying and tense foe than Mr. X in nearly every way.
-There's some unexpected environmental pauses to be had in RE3... Like the classic red explosive barrel. Do you use it immediately on some zombies right now, or save it for later to be able to use it as a mighty blow against Nemesis?
-Nemesis the first time you drop him after a major story moment can drop rare items for you to pick up from wherever you down him at.
-The dodge mechanic has some context-sensitive actions Jill can do if you pull off a perfect dodge against specific types of attacks. One example is Jill does a unique animation if you perfect dodge one of Nemesis' tentacles.
-There are certain areas the game is kinder and will give excuse why Nemmy can't follow and give you a breather, but one of the main goals of the remake was to make him a rather consistent threat. Not always chasing you but the possibility he could chase you there stays true.
-They've designed Nemesis AI with actually not being relentless, if he's always chasing you that'd get tiring fast. His AI works to dynamically sorta' direction his moves, and give the player breathing room as well.
-Capcom have worked a lot on AI for this title in general, talking about making monsters react more to the environment and situations, and how they can work together, separately, etc. They even talk about how they've made the zombies behave differently whether they're alone or if there's several zombies around and they're in a group.
-Grave Digger is confirmed to be in the game. Hints there's some Tremors-inspired sequences with it, and you can shoot and toss grenades down its throat.
-Spiders are confirmed to be in the game! They have a tendency to scuttle all over the place, sometimes towards or away from you, or drop on you from the ceiling. (Also confirm Drain Deimos and Spiders are separate enemies in RE3 and behave differently.)
-Hunter Beta's are confirmed to be in the game as well.
-Say Raccoon City is a LOT bigger than it's been previously. They designed a lot of the city, it's not open world but they designed it so you can explore quite a few streets and even stores and buildings of the town, and have multiple paths through the city to take.
-Jill can unlock more pathways in the Subway System to new parts of the city as a form of fast travel. As you get further in the city, the Subway becomes kinda' your hub to connect all the different parts of town.
-There's a lot more side stuff you can do than RE2 or the original game, often times there's optional back-tracking the game gives you... You have a code to unlock a weapon tack in another part of town now, but do you want to trek through the city and risk facing enemies you left, or worse, Nemesis showing up while you do so? There's a lot of optional distractions, route planning and risk and reward going on here.
-Carlos is playable and has more playable sequences, but he doesn't have his own campaign. He also may show up as you go through the city as he's around looking for survivors as well. They put a lot of focus on making Carlos rough around the edges, but reliable and likable.
-Small thing, but they confirm in the sewers if you walk through grime or under a running pipe, the grime does stick to you for a bit before dissipating. Look how far video games have come!
-Sound design has been a big focus, fully supports surround sound systems and did a lot to make everything "sound" right with a city going into chaos.
-There's a slight hint that there may be a couple new monsters in RE3 that weren't in the original, but you'll have to wait to see.
-The team focused on having one consistent story rather than different ways events can go down. That said, they did a lot to make the story have more depth and stand-out. They say the story fleshes out Jill, Nemesis, and the UBSC a lot more than the original did. This is a classic story of Jill vs Nemesis, and both of them have history and reason to be struggling against one another that'll be more fully explored. Hint we'll dive a lot more into Jill's character, and Nemesis as a monster. They hope people will be really satisfied with what they've done and added to the story.
-Being asked of returning locations or stuff from RE2, it's answered that you may notice "a few things" when you go through the game. Hint also as this game takes place a day before and a day after RE2, you may also see some before and after things.
-The team hopes Resident Evil fans will be impressed with their reimagined Raccoon City. It's an iconic location for the series and they really wanted to get it right, and crammed a ton of attention to detail into the city they hope fans will appreciate.
-OXM say what they've played so far is "extraordinary", and if the rest of the game can keep up the quality of the 2-3 hours they played, it's going to become a classic Resident Evil game.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will you be able to cheat your way out of a Nemesis encounter by saving the game, quitting, and then re-loading? Will the game allow you to save if he is in the safe room?

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Dusk, thank god I have a desk at work, this was chub city. I'm sorry I ever doubted this game's existence in the first place. FOUR WEEKS KIDS

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Will you be able to cheat your way out of a Nemesis encounter by saving the game, quitting, and then re-loading? Will the game allow you to save if he is in the safe room?
The honest answer is: We don't know.

My guess is if Nemesis is in or outside the safe room, you can't save.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
OXM-1.png

So a new issue of of OXM came out that has a meaty 9-10 page article on RE3. It actually has a lot of new details, so I thought I'd summarize them here.

HEADS-UP, some of these details are laced with spoilers, so if you want to go in as blind as possible, you probably shouldn't read this.

But here's some new RE3 details:
-It is confirmed Nemesis is the first monster in Resident Evil history to break the "Safe Room" rule. If he's chasing you, he can break into safe rooms.
-The devs kinda' used Mr. X as a way to gather some feedback on Nemesis, though their goal all along was to make Nemesis a more terrifying and tense foe than Mr. X in nearly every way.
-There's some unexpected environmental pauses to be had in RE3... Like the classic red explosive barrel. Do you use it immediately on some zombies right now, or save it for later to be able to use it as a mighty blow against Nemesis?
-Nemesis the first time you drop him after a major story moment can drop rare items for you to pick up from wherever you down him at.
-The dodge mechanic has some context-sensitive actions Jill can do if you pull off a perfect dodge against specific types of attacks. One example is Jill does a unique animation if you perfect dodge one of Nemesis' tentacles.
-There are certain areas the game is kinder and will give excuse why Nemmy can't follow and give you a breather, but one of the main goals of the remake was to make him a rather consistent threat. Not always chasing you but the possibility he could chase you there stays true.
-They've designed Nemesis AI with actually not being relentless, if he's always chasing you that'd get tiring fast. His AI works to dynamically sorta' direction his moves, and give the player breathing room as well.
-Capcom have worked a lot on AI for this title in general, talking about making monsters react more to the environment and situations, and how they can work together, separately, etc. They even talk about how they've made the zombies behave differently whether they're alone or if there's several zombies around and they're in a group.
-Grave Digger is confirmed to be in the game. Hints there's some Tremors-inspired sequences with it, and you can shoot and toss grenades down its throat.
-Spiders are confirmed to be in the game! They have a tendency to scuttle all over the place, sometimes towards or away from you, or drop on you from the ceiling. (Also confirm Drain Deimos and Spiders are separate enemies in RE3 and behave differently.)
-Hunter Beta's are confirmed to be in the game as well.
-Say Raccoon City is a LOT bigger than it's been previously. They designed a lot of the city, it's not open world but they designed it so you can explore quite a few streets and even stores and buildings of the town, and have multiple paths through the city to take.
-Jill can unlock more pathways in the Subway System to new parts of the city as a form of fast travel. As you get further in the city, the Subway becomes kinda' your hub to connect all the different parts of town.
-There's a lot more side stuff you can do than RE2 or the original game, often times there's optional back-tracking the game gives you... You have a code to unlock a weapon tack in another part of town now, but do you want to trek through the city and risk facing enemies you left, or worse, Nemesis showing up while you do so? There's a lot of optional distractions, route planning and risk and reward going on here.
-Carlos is playable and has more playable sequences, but he doesn't have his own campaign. He also may show up as you go through the city as he's around looking for survivors as well. They put a lot of focus on making Carlos rough around the edges, but reliable and likable.
-Small thing, but they confirm in the sewers if you walk through grime or under a running pipe, the grime does stick to you for a bit before dissipating. Look how far video games have come!
-Sound design has been a big focus, fully supports surround sound systems and did a lot to make everything "sound" right with a city going into chaos.
-There's a slight hint that there may be a couple new monsters in RE3 that weren't in the original, but you'll have to wait to see.
-The team focused on having one consistent story rather than different ways events can go down. That said, they did a lot to make the story have more depth and stand-out. They say the story fleshes out Jill, Nemesis, and the UBSC a lot more than the original did. This is a classic story of Jill vs Nemesis, and both of them have history and reason to be struggling against one another that'll be more fully explored. Hint we'll dive a lot more into Jill's character, and Nemesis as a monster. They hope people will be really satisfied with what they've done and added to the story.
-Being asked of returning locations or stuff from RE2, it's answered that you may notice "a few things" when you go through the game. Hint also as this game takes place a day before and a day after RE2, you may also see some before and after things.
-The team hopes Resident Evil fans will be impressed with their reimagined Raccoon City. It's an iconic location for the series and they really wanted to get it right, and crammed a ton of attention to detail into the city they hope fans will appreciate.
-OXM say what they've played so far is "extraordinary", and if the rest of the game can keep up the quality of the 2-3 hours they played, it's going to become a classic Resident Evil game.
d00.gif

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
-It is confirmed Nemesis is the first monster in Resident Evil history to break the "Safe Room" rule. If he's chasing you, he can break into safe rooms. ''

Holy fuck. Capcom had balls to do it! lmao

Everything sounds brilliant!

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Sounds amazing, glad to hear the save room is no longer the last bastion of safety. It got kinda annoying to see people toy with Mr X by the safe areas.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Bummer (but not unexpected) that there's just the one version of the scenario, but that's basically par for the course with RE2Make and the way it mostly discarded the zapping system. It sounds like this game is going to do a lot to make it very replayable for speedrunners though. Sounds like it's going to be very fun.

Alak96

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spiders, Nemesis going into save rooms...this looks more perfect than REmake 2.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the game let you use the original RE3 soundtrack? Is it locked behind a pre-order bonus or special edition?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spiders, Drain Deimos, and Nemmy in safe rooms? Yes!

My first playthrough is going to be on hardcore mode. Fuck my shit up Capcom.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Everything sounds amaziiing! Can't wait to play it.

I really hope it's well received by critics and fans alike.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yes.

God damn spiders returning is perfect. I really like how they are also adding even more enemies.

Only thing I am not sure about is more story about Nemesis. I kind of like how mysterious he was in the original.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems fucking amazing. Much bigger scope than RE2 just reading that. Is this gonna be the re goat?

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not that great at RE games overall, well pre-RE4 games. Idea that safe rooms aren't safe is kind of a turn off. I can see that making me feel super uneasy enough to stop playing. It's a personal problem I admit.

Estro

Jul 17, 2019
Between spiders and the safe room thing I'm really starting to wonder if I can stomach this game. It's a bummer, because I loved RE2 Remake, but this might be too much for me.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Have never played the third game, but the Nemesis sounds even more annoying than Mr. X.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Nemesis better be able to smash the typewriter over your head.

It would be worth it just for the moment of realization about why you've been picking up spare typewriter parts before you get clocked.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
The first one is not a minor spoiler imo. It's a more important spoiler than all of the game's plot being spoiled combined...

I wish I could unlearn it now ;;

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all not ready for re engine giant spiders

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fuck yes.

God damn spiders returning is perfect. I really like how they are also adding even more enemies.

Only thing I am not sure about is more story about Nemesis. I kind of like how mysterious he was in the original.

I can't really see as mystery tbh. Just some random monster drop onto Jill just like any others. Same logic can be applied into anything.

BTW, As long as they don't make Nemesis Jill ex boyfriend or something like a movie, I'm cool with that.