• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

Tonight, Joel McHale makes a triumphant return to The Game Awards

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot honestly believe that there are people who had a problem with what Joel did at the VGX thing, lmao. That was literally the best that show deserved at that point. He made a mockery of it because that's what it already was of itself. Let's see what happens this time around.

Seriously considering not watching it now depending on how much time Joel is given. Guy is a total Dbag and seems to care nothing for games or gamers.
Considering the recent track record of gamers as a community, should anyone, honestly?

Oct 25, 2017
Providence / Boston
I don't follow him so I was always a little bemused how he went from hosting VGX to hosting the White House Correspondent's Dinner.
He had been hosting Talk Soup for years and was starting season 4 of Community (which was one of the most acclaimed comedies on TV for its first three seasons).

So it wasn't the VGX that boosted him to the White House Correspondent's Dinner. Haha.

Oct 28, 2017
He had been hosting Talk Soup for years and was starting season 4 of Community (which was one of the most acclaimed comedies on TV for its first three seasons).

So it wasn't the VGX that boosted him to the White House Correspondent's Dinner. Haha.
How awesome would it be if Dan Harmon was with him tonight?

Possibly one of the best award show moments ever:

Oct 31, 2017
The marketing event this is deserved the mockery Joe gave it. Those VGX were bad and this is a well produced version of the same marketing event mascarading as a “celebration”.

Anyway, yay.

Oct 25, 2017
For old times' sake can we have a super, super awkward interview between Angry Joe and Geoff Keighley again, too? Let's bring back all the cringe and see if we can't throw in some new curve balls as well. You know, make it some kind of masochistic challenge to sit through. Where is Spike TV? Maybe we can still get them involved as well.

Oct 29, 2017
Oof, not what I was expecting at all.

I loved Joel in Community, but hosting the game awards he came off so cringy and made the awards kind of feel like a joke thing that last time, I thought all these years later it had gotten so much better in terms of presentation and taking it more seriously. I hope he does better this time.

Mar 8, 2018
I thought this was created to distance itself from the terrible Video Game awards on Spike tv years ago. But this is slowly crawling back to that same level of unnecessary pandering to outsiders.
Oh come on now, you didn’t think that this was a legit awards show and not just an ad space for random things, celebrities that have nothing to do with games and trailers for upcoming games right?