• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
McHale tried his best to make that show as less shitty as possible. I still don't understand the people saying he was the reason the show was bad. He was not. The show was bad before if shit production and shit guests.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
celebrating the game industry and it's achievements which is what I think Geoff was going for.

I would buy this if the show wasn't hyped up around how many WORLD EXCLUSIVE ANNOUNCEMENTS @ #GAMEAWARDS it's gonna have. It comes across as an ad reel punctuated by awards.

Apr 21, 2018
I really disliked him at the show 5 years ago and I am disappointed to see him again.
Maybe I'm the odd one out but I really don't find him funny and his crass jerk comedy routine doesn't work for me.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I was on the fence about whether it was worth getting up in the early hours to watch this live, but after seeing that this asshat is making an appearance, after the complete cringefest disaster that was the last time...

Alarm. Set.

McDomination

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Oh come on now, you didn't think that this was a legit awards show and not just an ad space for random things, celebrities that have nothing to do with games and trailers for upcoming games right?

Exactly. If you're taking the Game Awards seriously in any regard, you're doing it wrong. Embrace the cheese, cringeyness, bad jokes, and just enjoy it!

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
McHale tried his best to make that show as less shitty as possible. I still don't understand the people saying he was the reason the show was bad. He was not. The show was bad before if shit production and shit guests.

Yeah. Lmao, it was so embarassing. I remember waiting like 15 minutes for some live performance while some dudes were trying to buy time for it.... and.... good lord:

(5:04 if time stamp doesn't work)

Not to mention the Cranky Kong announcement. If it wasn't for Joel, it'd have been a complete and utter trainwreck.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Geoff is super cool, I hope he doesn't try to make any comebacks and this award show works well for him, like last year

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
8fc.jpeg

What word is "sh&#^t" supposed to be? Context clues would make it "shit" but it has too many characters.

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
tbf Joel gave the VGX all the respect it deserved, which was none. He was the highlight of the show, and his refusal to lap up marketing and PR statements was refreshing.
Having said that, the show has come a long way since then afaik so I'm not expecting the same amount savagery

Toadofsky

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
Exactly. If you're taking the Game Awards seriously in any regard, you're doing it wrong. Embrace the cheese, cringeyness, bad jokes, and just enjoy it!

I guess it's just me but it looks like some here on Era are taking this thing seriously. I can only imagine the meltdown that's gonna happen here when/if Ninja ends up winning that "trending gamer" award or whatever it is. Even funnier some who keep wanting them to ditch it when it gets views for/from the nominated streamer's fans.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's just me but it looks like some here on Era are taking this thing seriously. I can only imagine the meltdown that's gonna happen here when/if Ninja ends up winning that "trending gamer" award or whatever it is. Even funnier some who keep wanting them to ditch it when it gets views for/from the nominated streamer's fans.

This is ResetEra. If there's something you don't see how people can take seriously, there is no doubt someone here who very much does.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I thought this was created to distance itself from the terrible Video Game awards on Spike tv years ago. But this is slowly crawling back to that same level of unnecessary pandering to outsiders.
Yeah. Definitely skipping this crap. Will check later to see what was announced

Toadofsky

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
Damn time flies. He was horrible last time. hope he is better

Hope this year is better than last year

Keep your expectations low bud. This is a giant ad space for products and upcoming games and pretending to care about the games thay cane out this year that will end up being forgotten for the next sequel in a year like Battlefield 20 and COD 45.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People genuinely skipping the show because of this? The fuck outta here, you never were going to watch anyway.

The guy was hilarious and rightly called Geoff out on all his shit last time around. Completely disrespected the buttkissing, marketing and championing of advertisements.

You guys should be thanking this guy for paving a way for a new and better format.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
Keep your expectations low bud. This is a giant ad space for products and upcoming games and pretending to care about the games thay cane out this year that will end up being forgotten for the next sequel in a year like Battlefield 20 and COD 45.
yeah i know but last year devs got the spot light and it was really cool. hope to see that again.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
yeah i know but last year devs got the spot light and it was really cool. hope to see that again.

I don't understand why some people are worried about this. The awards are still for the devs. The devs are still accepting them and giving speeches.

The only difference is more outside presenters replacing Geoff announcing every single award, as he did last year.

Oct 25, 2017
oh yes that huge marketing push that river raid needs

Celebrating people on the industry is not a bad thing. Seeing Mick Gordon perform live was a joy. Yeah, the awards are whatever, but so is your cynic attitude.

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the difference between those that want Joel and not on the show is like those that want to see a dance show to see a great performance. And those that watch it to see the main dancer trip, fall, break his neck, and die while chocking on his own blood.

I guess people find amusement on the oddest things.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
I don't understand why some people are worried about this. The awards are still for the devs. The devs are still accepting them and giving speeches.

The only difference is more outside presenters replacing Geoff announcing every single award, as he did last year.
I get you but this show already has so much world premiers and footage. The invited guest better take less time men

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Geoff seems like a pretty good sport and doesn't strike me as the type to burn bridges. VGX was super cringey but Joel presenting an award seems pretty harmless.

At worst he and Geoff will exchange some awkward scripted banter.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
My god. This thing is gonna be all kinds of levels of self aware. Get your adult diapers ready.

That VGX show was horrendous.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
YES, glad he'll be there. Some of the posts here smdh, taking ourselves too seriously are we now. Also how can some of you not look through the veneer of the show and see that it's a massive marketing hype machine? It's not even trying to be subtle ffs.

Oct 29, 2017
I'd be genuinely curious to see how Joel handles it this time. I'm sure he's aware about the public perception of the last time he had a run on this.

I guess my curiosity stems from the fact that Joel seemed very much upset or against the fact that the awards were very much an advertisement platform as opposed to an award show that celebrates the year in games. I think some would argue that this hasn't changed substantially much with the current game awards, but I do applaud Geoff because I strongly feel that he's done much to try to make each year better.