• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
People genuinely skipping the show because of this? The fuck outta here, you never were going to watch anyway.

The guy was hilarious and rightly called Geoff out on all his shit last time around. Completely disrespected the buttkissing, marketing and championing of advertisements.

You guys should be thanking this guy for paving a way for a new and better format.
Right, Joel McHale mocked THE VERY THINGS PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT on ResetEra, but those some people seem to hate Joel McHale for doing so.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Is Joel McHale a bad person or do people just not like him because they find him annoying? He always seemed pretty kind and genuine in interviews and stuff but I guess a lot of people do.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol that No Man's Sky interview bits from Joel:

"Just four people made this game?"
"Yeah..."
"Geez, you must have carpal tunnel"

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I like Joel, but he was insufferable during that VGX.

Between him, and the extremely likely metroid announcement, it's like Geoff Keighley is looking for some grand redemption for VGX 2013 lol

PunishedSoul

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Joel's always seemed really friendly and geniune, if a bit sarcastic, in everything I've ever seen him in out of character.

That's part of what made his fish-out-of-water confused-and-unimpressed persona so hilarious to me last time he hosted.
It was some really genuine unintentional comedy where nobody was really being malicious but it was hard to believe it at times.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
His best moment was his "holly crap" after he saw what the Loiter Squad was doing :D
But his "I'm here only because my wife woke me up, why did I decided to come here?" was cringy as hell

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Joel was the best, just making fun of it at every turn. It's exactly what the show needed.

Exactly mate. Great work not taking yourself and the show so seriously Geoff. It's gaming it should be fun. You deliver a serious show of high quality GK, let Joel loose to counter balance that.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
Joel was funny, mocked how corporate the whole thing was, and liked Donkey Kong TF. He's good in my book.

Deleted member 19782

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2CmcGLP.jpg

Perfection.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe it's been five years. It feels like only recently I was laughing at the last time he was on the show. His nega-enthusiasm killed me and 100% made that last show incredible.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I love Joel McHale's brand of snark and sarcasm. I don't think he did anything sacrilegious when he co hosted a few years ago. I just wish we could get the Soup back. The Netflix version didn't work very well

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Joel destroying Geoff is still one of my fondest gaming media memories.

He eviscerated the self-important pretentiousness of the industry and I loved every moment of it.

"How many layers are you wearing?"

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Joel McHale a bad person or do people just not like him because they find him annoying? He always seemed pretty kind and genuine in interviews and stuff but I guess a lot of people do.
He comes across as a genuine sweetheart in interviews and such. I think the people who are shitting on him are just taking their hobby way too seriously.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This post is embarrassing.

Why is it embarrassing?

Back in that era the game awards had a lot of "celebs" and other things that literally looked like they wanted to be anywhere else but there, they didn't seem to care about gaming or have any interest in it, it felt like an awards show that was trying really had to latch on to the hollywood culture/mainstream instead of trying to be a more serious awards show for gaming in general, it came off a bit cringy and played into the stereotype of gaming culture.

Over the years it's moved away from that and has built up more and more to move past those kinds of elements and toward a more serious and celebrated awards show a la the oscars/golden globes, which to me has been a good thing.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I've already muted the game awards. It's so self-aggrandizing and Geoff is so insincerely self-promoting. Joel was basically saying "They're just video games. Let's have fun. You're pontificating like Caesar marching on Rome."

This was perfectly captured in that moment where McHale asked him what his favourite was, and he couldn't even do that. "They're all great!" Like, have an opinion. Be human, not a personified billboard tiptoeing around everything.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This was perfectly captured in that moment where McHale asked him what his favourite was, and he couldn't even do that. "They're all great!" Like, have an opinion. Be human, not a personified billboard tiptoeing around everything.

Lol I'm sure part of him getting the contracts and everyone to work together on this event and events prior involves him being able to say and not say certain things. Joel isn't involved in any of that so of course he doesn't care.