• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like drinking alcohol?

• Yeah, baby. It's like water to me. I enjoy it.

Votes: 348 28.8%
  • Nah. It doesn't taste good.

Votes: 118 9.8%
  • I drink it on occasion. Like every now and then.

Votes: 468 38.7%
  • I ONLY drink it on special occasions

Votes: 124 10.3%
  • I ain't touching that

Votes: 150 12.4%

• Total voters

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Some of my friends have been trying to get me to out with them and have a few drinks. I've never had alcohol before so I was pretty hesitant to try it. Heck, I even avoided alcohol in high school and COLLEGE. But tonight, man… it actually happened.

They took me to this bar downtown and it was cool. We walked in and people seemed to be minding their own business and having a good time. But that didn't last long because some guys tried to "cat call" aka "hey baby" to some of my friends and they got shot down. They were like, "Nah, we're just here with Medi. It's his first time drinking. Isn't that sooo cute?" The guys would laugh and walk away. I just smiled and said there was a first time for everything. The bartender was a cool guy. He told us some jokes. It was fun seeing my friends debate with each other for what would be my first drink. They started naming all these funny sounding drinks and I couldn't stop laughing. Like why do alcoholic drinks sound so clichey and edgey like they came straight from a JRPG?

They finally decided on a mixture between Hennessy and something else. I took a sip and immediately gagged. Everybody laughed. I don't know what the hell that drink was but it tasted like cough medicine. It tasted horrible. I pushed the drink away in disgust. My friends said it would taste better if I kept drinking so I did… and it still tasted like trash.

The more I drank, the more I felt a sensation hit my head. Apparently, I got tipsy because I started being brutally honest with my friends on how I felt about stuff. They was like, "Ohhh so that's what kinda drinker you are…" They took a snapchat of me being tipsy. We ordered some pizza and that was prolly the best pizza I ever tasted in my life.

Overall, I had a great time but I don't know if I'm gonna be a guy who just loves his alcohol. It tastes so bitter and ugh, man. But if you like it, that's totally chill.

So how do ya'll feel about alcohol and what was your first time drinking it? Share!

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I only recently started to try different drinks. I'm 23 and it just does nothing for me.

Oct 25, 2017
So how do ya'll feel about alcohol and what was your first time drinking it? Share!
When you say that do mean literally the first time I drank alcohol or the first time I got drunk?
Cause the first time I drank alcohol was when I was 10 years old and took a sip of my father's wine during a vacation cause I thought it was water. So that's not very exciting (neither is the other possibility to be honest)

Nowadays I'm pretty much only into the hard stuff cause if I drink I usually drink to get drunk and not because I enjoy the taste. So whatever get's me there as fast as possible is fine by me.

tastes awful but alas a necessary evil for the buzz
Yep

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
The only alcoholic beverage I really enjoy is a mojito. The rest I would have no trouble not drinking at all.

Oct 29, 2017
Did you have any beer or anything else except for the drink your friends initially ordered?

There's a wide range of taste and varieties out there, experiment and find something you really like.

Glad you had a good time, OP. In the UK going to the pub is sort of the default leaving the house to meet friends so it blows my mind that you guys can't drink legally until 21, let alone till 24.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's thousands of different alcohols, gotta find the ones that are for you.
Always got a bottle of Martini bianco, baileys and frangelico at home for when I'm feeling like it.

Oct 30, 2017

That's quite 'old' to have your first drink, at least in my country.
Being tipsy or drunk makes you very honest, i have the same thing. I always start with things i really want, like a dog, and keep yapping about how loyal they are etc etc.

It doesn't have to be bitter, whisky is kind of a high barrier to be your first drink. If you want something sweeter, try Licor 43. I adore that stuff, tastes like dutch eggnog. Furthermore; port wine… dangerous stuff :D

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I drink way too much of it. I don't seem to be able to just take a glass or two.
It has always been that way with everything. I always like more. Going to have to quit. It's not a problem in any way, i don't turn into some of these assholes and i only drink in the evening but it's clearly a health hazard. So quitting might be the best idea. At least for a couple of months.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
There's no 'taste of alcohol'. Alcohol itself is mostly tasteless, it's the drink that has the taste and every single alcohol beverage tastes completely different. Some drinks I like, some I hate, some I can only drink in very specific mixes (for instance, I cannot handle vodka anymore, except when it's in a White Russian).

As a first timer, starting with something as strong Henessy is a bad idea though. You should've just started with a good beer or wine.

The first time I drunk alcohol was probably when I was 12 or 13, I remember my mom offering me a sip of something she was drinking. The first time I properly drunk alcohol was when I was 16, like most people did where I'm from (legal drinking age was 16 until it got bumped up to 18 a few years ago).

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's no 'taste of alcohol'. Alcohol itself is mostly tasteless,

Erm, alcohol is sweet. Take a whiff of ethanol sometime.

For OP.
If you want smooth going drinks that pack a punch, I suggest Khalua or Bayleys. Liqueurs are good all around. Wouldn't suggest Sambuca (because most people don't like licorice) and Golshlager (which is a sharp cinnamon flavour). Stay away from Jaegermeister though.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had my first beer, or rather some of it, when I was 13. Didn't like it back then. Now I love beer, especially craft beer, and a good scotch.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When I was a kid I didn't like alcohol, coffee, girls and smoking. Now I like the taste of all of them.

Last edited:

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
It's an acquired taste. It tastes bad at first but in time you'll find a drink that is less bad and has flavors you enjoy, then eventually you'll stop tasting the alcohol almost completely, unless you want to drink the harsh stuff exclusively. For me, I got into beer, wine, and gin and tonics. But I very rarely drink these days, maybe 2-3 times a year.

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Most spirits suck taste wise at least straight to me. That said I do like to drink a Red Wine (with food) or Cider.
Never liked the taste of beer either.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you enjoy being tipsy / drunk, but don't enjoy the taste of hard liquor, maybe try Cocktails / Longdrinks?

They're expensive, but they can be suuuuuper tasty.

I don't recall when i had my first "drink" - Nowadays, I drink like ... once a month. Mostly, only on special occasions. Like, having a single beer does nothing for me - there's drinks that taste better, you don't get tipsy and it's needlessly high on calories.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit - Ephesians 5:18

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Drank a lot in my younger years. Now I stick with wine only. Love the taste and the buzz, especially a nice glass of chardonnay during a warm day. That's something I really can enjoy haha. Try it OP, you might like it.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Strong alcohol, like the one you drank.

Also speaking of strong alcoholic drinks, recently I met some Austrian filmmakers/artists and they had some Polish drink (if you want to call it a drink) with them that was, I kid you not, 96% ethanol. You could only drip it, but one small drop was already more intense than most full drinks I've had. Eastern Europe has some crazy shit.

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

Also speaking of strong alcoholic drinks, recently I met some Austrian filmmakers/artists and they had some Polish drink (if you want to call it a drink) with them that was, I kid you not, 96% ethanol. You could only drip it, but one small drop was already more intense than most full drinks I've had. Eastern Europe has some crazy shit.

Hahahah ohmygod

Deleted member 9838

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I used to not drink but now I occasionally do to lighten the mood when socializing. Other than that I don't drink.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've tasted 95% alcohol vodka. It was horrible and I couldn't taste shit for 15 minutes, also throat was dry as fuck for a while.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I basically get drunk once a week, and have been doing so since i was 16, and i'm 31 now. Love it.

weed? Daily.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
34, tried about every possible types of alcohol avaliable because my dad worked in the wine industry and i'm spending a lot of time in metal festivals.

Still, absolutely NOTHING i tried tasted even vaguely acceptable.

How can people drink on a regular basis and for pleasure is completely beyond my understanding.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Start trying different craft beers in your area and find which ones you like. There's such a huge variety so there's bound to be something you like.

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

Distilled liquor, like whisky or rum or vodka. Usually somewhere in the 35-50% alcohol range

You really don't know anything at all about alcoholic drinks do you

Nope. lol you're prolly gonna laugh at me but I really don't know. Calling drinks "spirits" is super cool though. How the heck did that even begin???

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having a small buzz is nice, relaxing, a little fun. Being drunk is awful experience and I dont wish it on anyone.

I wish there was a way to calculate how much you need to drink to maintain a nice small buzz at all time.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Alcool is great if you drink responsibly and in moderation. I kind of envy you, you have a brand new world to discover lol.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
There's nothing wrong with not being enamored with alcohol. You might find yourself better off in the long run. If you just don't want it, don't let the culture force it upon you.