• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I actually really liked what Jordan Peterson had to say at one point, until about 2015. He did provide a lot of meaningful commentary about the way one should live and it really helped me.

Then 2016 hit and he got huge, so his political views came out. No more viewership from me.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Easiest 'cancellation' ever, man is a terrible actor. I'm watching Triple Frontier and even though it's not the most original film ever, it's still decent. All apart from Hunnam, oh my word is he bad

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
1) You really can't divorce Peterson's self-help views from his other views.
2) He's clearly deep enough he knows what the 'intellectual dark web' is
I mean, you can clearly divorce them, its actually is super easy to do. But even if you couldnt, people can have cognitive dissonace over far "simpler" matters than this. In any case, you may be right. Perhaps he is everything that Ben Shapiro is, everything that Peterson is. Im just super uncomfortable slapping all that on him based on that soundbyte. If this was a person I knew, it would be enough to raise concern and try to get him to elaborate and discuss this with him, but not enough to condemn him right of the bat. The evidence simply isnt there for me to do that.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most folks agree Peterson's basic self-help principles are sound---but also extremely basic and "no duh".

It's why people flock to him. In a weird way it reminds me of the MLP situation (weird comparison, I know) where lots of folks, some who probably ended up alt-right if I'm being honest, where they praised a kid's show for having "strong moral values" which were pretty obvious to well-adjusted folks.

So the majority of people turning to him likely have weak or non-existent social lives and are easily manipulated because he's basically a "cool dad" to them.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Took me like an hour to realise the title was a Pacific Rim reference

giphy.gif

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone actually read 12 rules for life, you'd know full well that all the ideas he parades on youtube are in there and meshed 100% with his self help.

Oct 25, 2017
I cant believe he is a different person and not channing tatum.

On topic, if he got
"Take your life seriously." Carry as much responsibility as possible. I think in his words he says, pick up the heaviest thing that you can and carry it. "

I find it hard to see how thats a negative for his life

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A man that I can't be told apart from the Vikings dude and Channing Tatum can not be cancelled.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
He was never really a thing for me to begin with and now he'll never be. Has this dude even had any recent box office success.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i dont know how to feel about this "all white actors look the same" joke.

i dont think you could make that joke about other races without getting tons of shit for it, an deservely so

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I actually liked him in stuff (King Arthur is a good movie), but yeah, sadly, it seems like he's a moron.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
i dont know how to feel about this "all white actors look the same" joke.

i dont think you could make that joke about other races without getting tons of shit for it, an deservely so

It's a joke on his acting capabilities, which is he has little to none and his only quality is looking like the prototypical white action hero guy figure.

No one would say this about, let's say, Tom Cruise, Chris Hemsworth, Leo Dicaprio, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, etc.

It's not "all white actors look the same", it's more like "this guy hasn't got anything going for him other than being white".

People joke about Channing Tatum, but at least Tatum is very funny and self aware.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a joke on his acting capabilities, which is he has little to none and his only quality is looking like the prototypical white action hero guy figure.

No one would say this about, let's say, Tom Cruise, Chris Hemsworth, Leo Dicaprio, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, etc.

It's not "all white actors look the same", it's more like "this guy hasn't got anything going for him other than being white".

People joke about Channing Tatum, but at least Tatum is very funny and self aware.

aaah, i was looking the joke from a incorrect angle then.

lol.

yeah all these dudes are very average actors.

i guess people throwing tatum in the names threw me off since he has an accomplished carreer

Oct 25, 2017
Coming soon: Christopher Plummer is... REPLACEMENT ACTOR-MAN! Is he a dramatic actor? A villain? A hip-hop artist? An action hero? A superhero?

ALL OF THE ABOVE!

OP
OP
Tabaxi

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I mean, you can clearly divorce them, it actually is super easy to do.

The issue is that Peterson's "self-help" is usually simple and perfunctory, and he purposely uses it as a gateway into his political beliefs. Often mixing and matching the two in his books and lectures. You can divorce the two, but you can't be familiar with one and not the other.

I mean, sure, it's entirely possible Hunnam listened to Peterson, picked-up the "clean up your bed" bits and jettisoned the rest. But how likely is that? Moreover, again, he specifically mentions the "intellectual dark web" – which is emphatically not about self-help and inherently political.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
For a second I thought it was Charlie Day. Then I realized oh right, it's the dumb one who tried to act like a "real biker" on a late night talk show. Predictable.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
He's not a great actor but theres far worse. He really hasn't had a real showcase acting role imo.

Oct 25, 2017
Man I like all the actors people are using this as an excuse to dunk on. I'm on the outside, am I the in the acting dark web?
---
seriously that what the fuck is wrong with him? It's 2019 you have to know as an actor whose done press before that talking about how you're you're all in on the international dark web is some shit maybe you don't offer in conversation. Given all the fucking sexism and racism.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
The thing is he is a horrible actor, and has no range at all. As much as I liked Sons of Anarchy, I watched it cause of Ron Perlman, and a few other side characters. The guy is the most monotone guy of all time.

Oh and don't watch Triple Frontier. It is bloody horrible, there's a total of three action scenes (or four), in the two hour movie. It tries to be Sicario but crashes and burns horribly.

Also Ben Affleck is so fat in the movie I laughed out loud.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Oh no not supremely talented actor Charlie Hunnam who definitely did not get by on his race, gender and attractiveness:(

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Oh no, not vanilla white guy #27!

Looks like all his roles will go to Jai Courtney! Or the dude from Avatar! Or Joel Kinnaman! Or Joel Edgerton! Or Jason Clarke!
Joel Edgerton is actually talented though. Even if you think his acting is mediocre he's a decent director.