• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, its badly done for new players. It was weird because it started like D1 and then just throws you into a semi open world with no cleasr direction or story driving it forward.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
It's awful. They play it like you are a newly created guardian that just woke up at whenever D2 is in its overall story and that all the other campaign happened already, without your involvement. The problem is that every character acts like you were there.

It's very confusing and ruins any form
of immersion or continuity.

I was going to say, that is awesome, but then I read the second part. Awww. :(

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While Shadowkeep has been pretty good from what I've played so far (not finished it yet), by all accounts, New Light seems to have been a huge miss.

They need to revisit how they introduce all of the old story content and campaigns, and weave them into one another naturally and properly. The setup right now sounds horrendous - I can't imagine how odd the whole Red War setup must feel for somebody starting out.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's awful. They play it like you are a newly created guardian that just woke up at whenever D2 is in its overall story and that all the other campaign happened already, without your involvement. The problem is that every character acts like you were there.

It's very confusing and ruins any form
of immersion or continuity.

Basically this... I installed the game on Steam yesterday after transferring from B.Net, but it's not welcoming or interesting at all for a new player. I wasn't interested in immediately buying Shadowkeep and doing the content/season pass treadmill, but it seems like that's all they want their players to do. I'm probably just going to delete the game and wait for the next entry at this point. I love how the shooting feels, but the structure is just all off for someone like me who is joining so late.

I like Destiny, but it's so dumb and non cohesive that I'm genuinely angered. Their bullshit excuse is that they want it to be a living, breathing world. In which things are just happening and you're a guardian present in it. But it absolutely falls flat in terms of execution and cohesion.

Yeah, they needed to design it that way from the outset like an MMORPG. Seems just really hacked together right now. Oh well, I know this game had a rough journey especially with the decoupling from Activision. Hopefully Destiny 3 is designed from the ground up to be a game like they are envisioning.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Bungie completely fucked this up. I transferred my old char (only did the main story at launch) to steam and am so lost. There isn't even a simple info graphic.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I have played this game a ton and even just recently did all the Solstice armor stuff and when I loaded it up I was kinda lost. I just had no idea what I was doing. I could figure it out of course but it was pretty overwhelming and I can't imagine what it is like for a new player.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
They really need to streamline the interface and especially the quest log. I have like 40 "quests" in my inventory and it's not even clear if some of them are actually quests or how to go about doing them.

Oct 26, 2017
I just ran to the first marker that initiated a quest and had no clue wtf was going on. Didn't help that both quests felt more like busywork than actually being fun. Maybe I'm overly harsh but the whole time I was playing I had no clue what the fuck the game was about or why I was on the mission I accepted. I try again next week when I have time, but so far I am more confused than fascinated.

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
Third post tells you, and further posts elaborate...

But to be clear:

Go to tower
Go to hanger
Go to Amanfa Holiday
Legacg quests are the old campaigns
Except Forsaken starts from the tangled shores or something?

How bizarre. I have spent an hour playing the intro quest thinking it was going to lead into the Forsaken but nope its hidden in the most obscure way

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I loaded the game and was completely lost... kind of gave up on the game after running around for a bit, it's not for me anyway, and I lost my story progress from before I think,

but yeah, they should improve this, it makes no sense.

Rox

Dec 13, 2017
I find this issue on all types of mmo style games.

Tried jumping into ESO and so much things thrown at you I didn't know where to even begin and found the same with destiny

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I find this issue on all types of mmo style games.

Tried jumping into ESO and so much things thrown at you I didn't know where to even begin and found the same with destiny
IIRC doesn't ESO let you go wherever you want, but also give you the main quest from the start? That's how I got to be a Werewolf a few hours in, awooo.

I never played it back when it was a sub MMO so maybe it changed since then though.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember having problems with ESO, it had a very clear starting zone and main quest afterwards
but I played it years ago, maybe they changed things

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, as someone that's played serveral pc gaas style games, and even vanilla d2, jumping into the game again was pretty confusing, although, I think I prefer it this way at my own pace rather than a shitty hand-holdy guide/quest-line that takes several hours. There's something to be said for discovering the world yourself that's way more fun.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I have no idea where to go on my character right now.

I did the Leviathan raid at launch and a bit of the Curse of Osiris stuff, but yeah... No idea what to do now.

Jan 10, 2018
I like the fact that the Vanguard (Bungie) assigned the least important character, a ship engineer down at the docks, to handle the most important mission content. Not even the Commander wants to bother with that crap anymore.

Aug 13, 2019
Oh. I did think it was kind of weird that the first story mission I get after the tutorial is to level up to 770 to get the next mission.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
I had the same issue. I played Destiny 2 near launch on XBONE as it came free with the console. Got bored around halfway though the story and forgot about it, about IO time. Imagine my surprise when I started it up on PC and was suddenly in Destiny 1 and on making it to the tower, the layout was changed. So I went to the EDZ and did some activities thinking the story would start when I did enough of them.

Gunship

Oct 28, 2017
Another lost player here. The game made me feel stupid. So confusing and opaque. Deleted.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
So I'm confused, does New Light take place during of right after D2 vanilla? It's funny how one of the Bungie videos talks about how they reworked the beginning of the game so players could "jump right into the action." Really all it did was confused me and I'm glad I'm not alone.

I load up the game and I'm very confused as to why there's a tower as I played up to the camp in the original release. Then they tell me to go on a strike and I end up in one that is in progress, then they have me go to earth where I immediately spawn into a ton of Fallen shooting me, then they tell me to talk to some guy at a church for whatever reason. Honestly, I wanted to give this another try, but it's very hard to understand wtf I'm doing.

Also, how the fuck does this game not have the equivalent of a party finder/clan finder built into the game?

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Destiny was never good at facilitating the telling of its own stories, and it's frankly baffling how little Bungie has learned after all these years. Hiding all the story campaign content for new players behind a relatively obscure NPC now with New Light is a new low, somehow.

But stuff like using items in your inventory to track quests, the way quest givers are handled, Destiny 1's complete lack of overarching narrative structure, etc. It's never been good at anything but the shooting and looting. Hopefully they'll use their newfound freedom to actually improve these things, but I also fear they've wasted their big launch and turned away a lot of potential players.

So I'm confused, does New Light take place during of right after D2 vanilla? It's funny how one of the Bungie videos talks about how they reworked the beginning of the game so players could "jump right into the action." Really all it did was confused me and I'm glad I'm not alone.

It's supposed to happen after the main story of Destiny 2 (Red War). The problem, of course, is that the Red War campaign is supposed to happen immediately after the events of Destiny 1, and supposes that your character was there to begin with. So if you didn't play Destiny 1,started a Destiny 2 character but never completed the story and now try to go back to it, it's going to be all jumbled. They tried to alleviate this by remaking the Destiny 1 tutorial as the new intro mission for entirely new characters, but situations like yours just aren't covered.

My pragmatic suggestion would be to make a new character (your first alt!) and do that tutorial mission. It explains ghosts and the tower and all the basic stuff. That doesn't excuse how bad the game is at onboarding people, though.

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 is a bizarre mess of a game.
It's half mmo and half traditional shooter but doesn't really satisfy either camp well.

I honestly don't know why Bungie decided to make the game this way. It's especially weird as it's the 2nd game and its still so messy.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Whilst the onboarding for new players has been atrocious,

There is an OT that provides a clear A----B steps for new lighters.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I beat he original campaign and wanted to play the DLC. Ran around for half an hour until I found the quest giver for the dlc. Like ...what the fuck Bungie

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sooo, I had Destiny 2 paid prior to the F2P version, I went to Bungie's site to transfer over my Destiny 2 paid character to the F2P Steam version once that site went live, I did not complete the paid main story campaign, is the F2P game version very confusing to paid players being onboarded to the F2P version available on Steam?

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sooo, I had Destiny 2 paid prior to the F2P version, I went to Bungie's site to transfer over my Destiny 2 paid character to the F2P Steam version once that site went live, I did not complete the paid main story campaign, is the F2P game version very confusing to paid players being onboarded to the F2P version available on Steam?

That's me. Basically, you suddenly have a bunch of 750 gear on your old character and start in a citadel area you may or may not have ever visited. Whatever you were doing before the switch to Steam basically no longer matters. You can now get old campaign missions in what seems to be a piece meal "replay" type of structure from some NPC in this new citadel area.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
They completely fucked up the new player experience. If their goal was to make new players be able to choose any content to play and jump with their friends into shadowkeep at the start, what they should have done is level scaling of all the content instead of bringing everyone to 750 to give a feeling of progression when doing the campaigns while still being able to do them in any order. They could have put an optional party sync feature like ffxiv and wow where your buddy's level is set to yours to keep the challenge too.
Why didn't they just you know, take Destiny 2, and make the vanilla experience as is f2p?

They wanted new players to be able to play with their destiny veterans friends. It's part of their new "a la carte" business model to be able to play the content you want. They fucked up the new player experience / guidance though.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They completely fucked up the new player experience. If their goal was to make new players be able to choose any content to play and jump with their friends into shadowkeep at the start, what they should have done is level scaling of all the content instead of bringing everyone to 750 to give a feeling of progression when doing the campaigns while still being able to do them in any order. They could have put an optional party sync feature like ffxiv and wow where your buddy's level is set to yours to keep the challenge too.

Yep... starting with 750 like this is a surefire way to make any of that campaign content feel rather meaningless.

I'm guessing they don't care and are more interested in getting everyone into the same endgame state so that they can sell them season passes.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's me. Basically, you suddenly have a bunch of 750 gear on your old character and start in a citadel area you may or may not have ever visited. Whatever you were doing before the switch to Steam basically no longer matters. You can now get old campaign missions in what seems to be a piece meal "replay" type of structure from some NPC in this new citadel area.

Huh?!?! WTF, FFS Bungie.....

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
In order to understand changes to the game, Bungie expects players to read their online weekly updates. So it's not just new players that get confused. For whatever reason Bungie doesn't feel like educating their players within the game about the game. This isn't new though. This is the same company that put all the lore on a website instead of in the game, so if you wanted to know what was going on, you had to leave.

But for new players, all you have to understand is that light level is meaningless. It's only used by Bungie to make gamers feel like they're progressing, when in fact you really are just grinding away at nothing. The game at light level 100 feels exactly like the game at light level 900. Light level is just a grinding mechanism and a means to lock end game content away.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, it's baffling. But if it's any solace, the campaigns are superfluous now and just give you story bits. The Red War campaign won't you exotics like it did when it launched. I don't know about Osiris, Warmind or Forsaken, but for sure the Red War is mainly for story and leveling that BATTLE PASS.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In order to understand changes to the game, Bungie expects players to read their online weekly updates. So it's not just new players that get confused. For whatever reason Bungie doesn't feel like educating their players within the game about the game. This isn't new though. This is the same company that put all the lore on a website instead of in the game, so if you wanted to know what was going on, you had to leave.

But for new players, all you have to understand is that light level is meaningless. It's only used by Bungie to make gamers feel like they're progressing, when in fact you really are just grinding away at nothing. The game at light level 100 feels exactly like the game at light level 900. Light level is just a grinding mechanism and a means to lock end game content away.

This is extremely counterintuitive to me.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, even as a returning player from D2 launch, I was pretty confused at the onboarding. Took a minute before I realized I had a quest to talk with the proper npc to revisit story content, but even then it's disjointed and difficult to even follow or understand how everything ties together. Teasing with the opening D1 mission and then jumping to the tower from mid D2 progression is wtf.

Most players likely won't even discover the quest tab easilly at all I imagine. Hell, I also did the Nightstrike Adept mission three times last night because the quest didnt complete. Had no idea I had to complete it by going to the achievements tab and accepting points for completion there. Never might have solved that without a google search, I thought something was broken with it.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I played through Forsaken with my friend who only bought it now and the campaign has been changed. No more adventures for the barons, instead you kill them one by one in story missions you click on on the map and get loaded into. They didn't even change the dialogue from Ghost so you will hear "6 barons dead!" after killing the first baron and so on.
He still loved it, but it was a very different experience compared to what I got.

ok I bought Forsaken after all the adoration and now I'm annoyed if I'm getting some truncated version that lacks much of the substance.