• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
so after i booted up today the lady in the hanger has a blue quest now

thats definitely new

so either they made it so that happens now after some of the complaints (server side? i didnt get a patch) or it just happens after 13ish hours and youve unlocked all the planets (not guessing this one tbh)

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Their mantra for New Light is "everyone starts at 750 and you don't need to play X hours of content before you can play with your friends in the new content".
They also said in one of their videos that they deliberately want to create a world that "moves forward" with events that "players who join later will have missed so you hear about it from the veterans who were there".
It's basically them trying to create a "living story" where you literally can miss out on things.

I played through Forsaken with my friend who only bought it now and the campaign has been changed. No more adventures for the barons, instead you kill them one by one in story missions you click on on the map and get loaded into. They didn't even change the dialogue from Ghost so you will hear "6 barons dead!" after killing the first baron and so on.
He still loved it, but it was a very different experience compared to what I got.
Wait, really? I played from launch all the way up to Forsaken, but haven't bought it yet, because my old crew quit playing. So I'll never really get to experience it now? Cayde is my favorite NPC. I wanna see this expansion.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Got friends to play Destiny 2 this weekend and can confirm they're turned off because they have no clue what to do.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Wait, really? I played from launch all the way up to Forsaken, but haven't bought it yet, because my old crew quit playing. So I'll never really get to experience it now? Cayde is my favorite NPC. I wanna see this expansion.
You get to experience it, just not 100% the same way we did at launch. You don't miss any content though.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so this is the brand-new player/character experience:

1. You finish the tutorial quest and end up in the tower.
2. As soon as you land in the tower you see this pop-up:

iOQ2PP.jpg

It shows you that the blue marker = the Destiny Icon that will guide you through the New Light quest line and introduce you to the various NPCs you will need to become acquainted with. It TELLS you to visit all the people with this marker.

3. Then you see the icon over Bansee-44
iOQAjm.jpg

4. Speaking to Banshee-44 and you see this:

iOQWqi.jpg

5. Next, you will see another primary icon that you have been told to follow, this time it's Zavala.

iOQiMo.jpg

6. After speaking with him, a few more appear on your map:

iOQjh9.jpg

At this point the game has literally told you that you will need to speak with all the NPCs with this icon.

And, when you visit Amanda, she literally tells you:

iOJUia.jpg

-

So, I do not get how any new players missed this unless they just didn't read the text and follow the on-screen instructions.

While the game 100% needs better onboarding for it's various systems, it literally spells out how to find the campaigns....

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017

iOQ2PP.jpg

It shows you that the blue marker = the Destiny Icon that will guide you through the New Light quest line and introduce you to the various NPCs you will need to become acquainted with. It TELLS you to visit all the people with this marker.

iOQAjm.jpg

iOQWqi.jpg

5. Next, you will see another primary icon that you have been told to follow, this time it's Zavala.

iOQiMo.jpg

iOQjh9.jpg

At this point the game has literally told you that you will need to speak with all the NPCs with this icon.

iOJUia.jpg

-

So, I do not get how any new players missed this unless they just didn't read the text and follow the on-screen instructions.

While the game 100% needs better onboarding for it's various systems, it literally spells out how to find the campaigns....

Have you never played WoW? Very few people read quest text. This is not good enough.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
-

People don't read. Every hand must be held. That's how it sadly is.
You can see in this very thread people who uninstalled the game in like an hour because they just couldn't understand for themselves how to engage with the game in any way.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah, they need a better introduction to the world

- Had no idea about campaigns, until i read it on the internet
- just throw me in and let me collect all these loot for what? Exactly? Enemies are scaling my level anyway, so i can stay level 750, right?
- Worlds are beautiful, but i had the feeling like i'm just doing different levels of a game, which are in no way connected and thus kinda lifeless
- i played all the single campaigns and now what? Just do events and collect more loot?

I wish with Destiny 3 they would connect the worlds more, let people do other things then just collect weapons/equips, like be a Blacksmith, have your own store, help rebuild the cities and so on.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Then that's entirely on them tbh. It literally spells out what to do.
You can see in this very thread people who uninstalled the game in like an hour because they just couldn't understand for themselves how to engage with the game in any way.

Yes i am sure a new player knows exactly what all of those icons really mean in Destiny. after playing for about 10 mins.

Good job. Those blue quest icons barely stand out in the sea of Icons in the tower and a new player is not going to think blue = quest.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yes i am sure a new player knows exactly what all of those icons really mean in Destiny. after playing for about 10 mins.

Good job.
It tells you in the pop up... it shows you a picture of the icon and tells you to vist the icons, lol.

I get the game being confusing overall, but this part is obvious.

Reading here and Reddit there's a lot of complaints about the new player experience being bad and confusing. Saying 'it's on them" does not fix the problem.
Read my post. It is 100% on them for not reading that obvious and clearly laid out questline to find the campaigns.

This has nothing to do with the fact the game should explain its other systems, it absolutely should. But THIS part?

Spelled out.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
You get to experience it, just not 100% the same way we did at launch. You don't miss any content though.
:C At least I don't miss any content. Still, I'm kind of pissed about that. I didn't even want to sleep on it, but my crew (who I have been playing Destiny with since the launch of Destiny 1) dropping out really took the wind out of my sails. We all even took off work on launch day of D2, we were so into it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
And yet there's endless questions on how to start and play the campaign and posts about having no idea that you needed to talk to Amanda. Clearly it's not working.
Yes, because players don't read the very clear instructions... which is baffling.

It's clearly not working, but I truly do not understand it.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

iOQ2PP.jpg

iOQAjm.jpg

iOQWqi.jpg

iOQiMo.jpg

iOQjh9.jpg

iOJUia.jpg

-

i just made a post talking about how that's different than what happened for most people over the last few days

they've changed it

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Oh weird. Do you just start in the Citadel with an new character? I thought that was an amazing way to end the first campaign, bummer now that's just the start.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Blaming the players because they are not reading does not fix the problem and leads to nowhere.
They are to blame for this though, if you click through text that literally guides you... you are to blame.

However, because people keep doing this they clearly need to make it so people cannot just click through.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Good job. Those blue quest icons barely stand out in the sea of Icons in the tower and a new player is not going to think blue = quest.
I am agreeing with you that the way it is done is not enough, precisely because just putting some text there and a small icon is not enough for the general player pop

Casker

Oct 25, 2017

It literally says the Destiny icon and it gives you an example right in the picture...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I am agreeing with you that the way it is done is not enough, precisely because just putting some text there and a small icon is not enough for the general player pop
I will never understand this... but you're right. People do no read instructions and this is true in all areas of life.

Frustrating, but I guess Bungie need to make a super hand-held system that cannot be skipped and forces you to check these NPCs somehow.

It literally says the Destiny icon and it gives you an example right in the picture...

I really don't get it... but it is happening.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
They are to blame for this though, if you click through text that literally guides you... you are to blame.

However, because people keep doing this they clearly need to make it so people cannot just click through.
It's not important who's fault it is, what's important is to recognize there is currently a new player experience problem and to find a better way to provide guidance. I don't know if this is the English term but in french that would be being in "solution-mode" instead of "blame-mode"

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
When did they change it?

I'm pretty sure I saw this when I created my new character day one on the new expac...
i don't know but that's not what happened to me

I just got the blue quest 10 mins ago after I booted it up today

so either it happens 13 hours in when you're doing the forge quests or it's new

i know it didnt have the blue before because I remember seeing the ship icon and going there myself because I wanted a new ship

also im still of the opinion that that's not good enough

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's not important who's fault it is, what's important is to recognize there is currently a new player experience problem and to find a better way to provide guidance. I don't know if this is the English term but in french that would be being in "solution-mode" instead of "blame-mode"
It is important, because it's part of the process of understanding so many people cannot follow very simple instruction and need more hand holding.

They are to blame though, it is probably laziness or impatience causing them to skip it. If you actually read the pop up, you cannot miss the directions.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

iOQ2PP.jpg

iOQAjm.jpg

iOQWqi.jpg

iOQiMo.jpg

iOQjh9.jpg

iOJUia.jpg

-

I got that first pop-up last night, but had little clue what it meant. It starts out by talking about vendors and gear and following icons. I had no interest in checking out vendors and wanted to play the next step in the story (which no longer existed in the game).

They probably could fix all this by having you pop out in front of Amanda and having her explain the situation of the world to you via a short cutscene. At least set the goddamn scene. I shouldn't have to come to a forum to realize that the world state is so different now and playing story missions for any content before this update is now relegated to a "replay" feature.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't know but that's not what happened to me

I just got the blue quest 10 mins ago after I booted it up today

so either it happens 13 hours in when you're doing the forge quests or it's new

i know it didnt have the blue before because I remember seeing the ship icon and going there myself because I wanted a new ship

also im still of the opinion that that's not good enough

It was with a new character or a returning one? My character completed vanilla campaign and definitely didn't marked Amanda.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I got that first pop-up last night, but had little clue what it meant. It starts out by talking about vendors and gear and following icons. I had no interest in checking out vendors and wanted to play the next step in the story (which no longer existed in the game).

They probably could fix all this by having you pop out in front of Amanda and having her explain the situation of the world to you via a short cutscene. At least set the goddamn scene. I shouldn't have to come to a forum to realize that the world state is so different now and playing story missions for any content before this update is now relegated to a "replay" feature.

The aboslute worst part is that you get besides the random drops and exp from doing those now. None of the gaunteeds items like graviton lance or sunshot are given anymore, they are relgated to pure RNG, so new players dont even get the basic exotics to pave the way into the game.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know what to say.. if you read that text it's really clear:

We recommend you follow this quest. Visit these icons....

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
It is important, because it's part of the process of understanding so many people cannot follow very simple instruction and need more hand holding.

They are to blame though, it is probably laziness or impatience causing them to skip it. If you actually read the pop up, you cannot miss the directions.
What I meant is that saying "we've put text boxes but the players are lazy and don't want to read, this is their fault thus their responsibility to fix that" is not helpful, it's being in "blame-mode" and not actually fixing anything. Being in solution mode is recognizing that your current solution has issues with how players interact and instead of just blaming the players, you design a solution around that.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What I meant is that saying "we've put text boxes but the players are lazy and don't want to read, this is their fault thus their responsibility to fix that" is not helpful, it's being in "blame-mode" and not actually fixing anything. Being in solution mode is recognizing that your current solution has issues with how players interact and instead of just blaming the players, you design a solution around that.
They need to design it better yes...

But the players skipping it ARE to blame, and I'm amazed so many players in a gaming community who have experience with games don't have the patience to follow simple, concise instructions like this.

I'm allowed to express my opinion here, and I do think those players are to blame. That doesn't mean I don't think it should be re-designed to compensate for all of this.

I'm not the person who needs to be thinking of a solution, I am commenting on the situation which I find a little baffling.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Destiny 1 did a better job of introducing new players to the game and how to play it. It didn't overload players with tons of new information. It was one quest after another. Learning new things each time about the game and the world.

Oct 25, 2017

iOQiMo.jpg
When I talked to this guy, I got an "Introduction: Strikes" quest telling me how to do a strike. Many players are going to be doing a strike at that point because they are given quest markers for it. I know I did!

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if you want people to understand your systems, properly gate them through each of them. They shouldn't throw you to Zaldana which some exposition talk you barely can make sense of it and several other NPC. The first thing they should do is mark Amanda and only Amanda, make them understand what is a main quest in the game, force them do one and the explain how do you progress throught the game, why do I care about strikes anyway? Explain that shit later, explain dailies challenges later, explain all that stuff those 4 different NPC says and the stuff they give you sequentially.

The rundown to all the different systems in the game is hapzardly done and that's not the players fault. There's several years of content, you should slowly introduce players to them. Trying to make new players to do content with veterans in the game after the first hour was clearly a mistake.

Then I got nothing.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's because it started out talking about vendors (describing the town) that I dismissed it as just a meaningless pop-up.
Well, you shouldn't have done that lol. If you ead it now surely you can see how it tells you to follow the quest, and that those are the icons you need to follow?

It is clearly not meaningless... if you read it.

When I talked to this guy, I got an "Introduction: Strikes" quest telling me how to do a strike. Many players are going to be doing a strike at that point because they are given quest markers for it. I know I did!
Before you spoke to him the game told you to check all NPCs with that icon.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basic reading is clearly difficult for the majority of the new players.

I feel like this isn't fair. Maybe if this were the first Destiny release in the franchise history, but a lot of people played the original game and even some of Destiny 2 before coming back with this release. We all came in with certain expectations of how the game might flow with a structured narrative and guided progression, but it's not made clear that those no longer apply at all.

Why would a pop up during the tutorial for the game be meaningless?

Because as someone who has played an online game with a hub/MMORPG, being popped into the main town and told about vendors does not scream "tutorial" to me.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this isn't fair. Maybe if this were the first Destiny release in the franchise history, but a lot of people played the original game and even some of Destiny 2 before coming back with this release. We all came in with certain expectations of how the game might flow with a structured narrative and guided progression, but it's not made clear that those no longer apply at all.
I think it is very fair to say anyone who didn't read that pop up properly is to blame for not being able to find the campaigns.

However, there are many other ways the game doesn't explain itself and needs to.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

iOQ2PP.jpg

iOQAjm.jpg

iOQWqi.jpg

iOQiMo.jpg

iOQjh9.jpg

iOJUia.jpg

-

The "guidance" is there, for sure, but non of it feels logical and cohesive. This is a pretty big design fail.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When Blizz gave it away for free last year I played for like 10 hours and dropped it because of how poorly matchmaking was. I couldn't figure out how to find people for the campaign. And there should have been plenty of people given it was just put out as free. There's no excuse, because I've never had trouble matchmaking with people, even with different levels in The Division 1/2 or Dying Light. Do people in Des2 just not do campaign missions once they reach end-game? Other games design themselves to incentivise people playing together more.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it is very fair to say anyone who didn't read that pop up properly is to blame for not being able to find the campaigns.

However, there are many other ways the game doesn't explain itself and needs to.

That's fine. I disagree that the player is "to blame" for not having read a fucking pop-up text box that is very easy to dismiss. It's not even that clear. "Talk to everyone with this icon" is all it tells you and the first guy you talk to gives you a gun and tries to send you on some random strike? How is that any indication that talking to further heads with quest icons will lead you to the main story?