• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
i don't know how you can say this with a straight face at this point of the thread
Because many people don't read the pops ups imo. They skim through or dismiss them. Same goes for the NPC text.

And I think that part of the design is the problem that needs solving.

I'm pretty sure if most people here read the text in those images they could work out what to do.

Last edited:

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What they should be trying to do is merging D1 with D2, then relaunching as just Destiny. Maybe retool some old raids so a solo player can run through and see who Crota, Skolas, Rasputin, etc are so when they pop up again they have some context for this shit.

As is I can see being totally lost as a new player, not only in terms of mechanics and gameplay loop, but in just saw story. Destiny has never had a great story but there are some really cool ideas sprinkled about and its overall lore is second to none.

Throwing a player straight from one Cosmodrome mission into the Red War and all the other crap, is just too much too soon.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I spent like half an hour doing 6 waves of Escalation Protocol on Mars.

Yay loot box as reward! I was happy.

Went to chest to get the loot but to open it you need a thing called Decrypted Cache Key.

I wasn't happy anymore. How the fuck I supposed to know that you need something like that to get the loot.

(*`へ´*)
Yeah, garbage like that was a result of the core audience clamoring for more things to grind for. It's just awful game design.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I tried and gave up a few times. Finally played with a friend who showed me around a bit. Made a huge difference. I agree Bungie needs to figure out a way to keep new players. Maybe an optional streamlined early game experience. There seems to be a great co-op game buried beneath it all. I'm pushing through so I can gain the full Destiny experience with 1 Raid before making a decision on how much Destiny is enough. At least the gunplay is very satisfying.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Be me, start game do opening mission, walk around talk to a bunch of people and quit to never return. Terrible first impression, too many games in my backlog to worry about looking up what to do.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Bungie fired Joe Staton. For whatever reason, they thought that his approach to the story and the world that he was building wasn't worth pursuing. Never mind that this was the same guy that did Halo.
Staten wasn't fired. I'm pretty sure he left after his "too campy" story was taken away from him and hastily retooled into whatever it was that shipped in Destiny 1.
It's funny how 2014's Bungie considered "that wizard came from the moon" to be too goofy for them since they ended up going Full Borderlands with Destiny 2.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't logged back in but looks like campaign turned into a mess. Did they even keep the farm??? That would be a bummer if that is gone as it had a unique flair to it.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I haven't logged back in but looks like campaign turned into a mess. Did they even keep the farm??? That would be a bummer if that is gone as it had a unique flair to it.
It's still there. The only meaningful thing they ever did with it was include it in the beta. Sucks that they don't double up on the mission vendors there so that we don't have to waste so much time running around the Tower.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I've put hundreds of hours into destiny 1 and was I ever so confused when I was redoing the first mission of destiny 1. Then I got dumped to the tower and I walked around. Eventually I got bored and went back to playing Bloodstained.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Add in Ashir Mir and Cayde getting fully Homer Simpsoned. The problem a lot of the time though is their dialogue plays out-of-order based on where an individual is in a strike and it all just mushes together into some really bad comedy word salad.
The whole thing sounds like a quip bomb went off sometime after The Taken King. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a bigger shift in tone between sequels.

Oct 25, 2017
The bottom line is that anything--and I mean *anything*--story-wise in Destiny has been a joke from the very beginning, i.e. the launch of Destiny.

The whole overall storyline, all the lore, the writing, the dialogue, the pacing: Everything.

Destiny 3 on next-gen needs to be a complete reboot or otherwise clean slate. Either start over completely or advance far enough into the future that every character and NPC who has ever existed thus far is nothing but a distant memory to the world of Destiny 3.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Didnt really follow the relaunch aside from transferring my character but I put a little time into the original campaign last year and i thought finishing it up on steam would be fun.

I figured itd be easy to pick up my progress instead i was dumped onto a map of the solar system with zero direction (other than to buy the new expansion, that was prominent lmao) and no idea what it was i should be doing or where to find what I was up to previously. Just clicked thru the planets and moons scanning through the quests and public events trying to find where to pick up the thread but never found it. Really baffling experience

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I just discovered you can mod gear and weapons......fuckkkkkkk

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
NONE of this stuff is explained, and this is where the game's real issues lie. Bansee-44 sells mods, but there is never any tutorial that tells you it can be done.
The onboarding of this game reminds of a Silicon Valley sales pitch. Nice, flashy, tons of money into the show, but you come out not knowing anything new other than they want your money

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The onboarding of this game reminds of a Silicon Valley sales pitch. Nice, flashy, tons of money into the show, but you come out not knowing anything new other than they want your money
I'm not sure it's quite so dramatic... but I fully agree it needs an overhaul.

There is one part that aligns with what you said in quite a cynical way... instead of putting the vault in the main menu, they put the store.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I downloaded it after having played at launch and falling off hard. I was absolutely clueless as to where to go next. Like Patrick Klepek, I find myself perplexed as to why I even give a shit about this game anymore...but I do. So now, just like him, I'm staring down the possibility of watching that 4-hour catch up video to learn anything about this story. Starting out the other night, I couldn't figure out where I go to get into a story mission. I just gave up.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
So should I always worry about picking up bounties from the vendors when going somewhere? Otherwise activities (kills...) don't get tracked towards stuff? Does that mean a;ways going back to tower before adventuring?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So should I always worry about picking up bounties from the vendors when going somewhere? Otherwise activities (kills...) don't get tracked towards stuff? Does that mean a;ways going back to tower before adventuring?
Like other MMO type games, you need to work towards your active quests and bounties.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Well that's not good to hear for someone interested in diving into the story first, but then again i didn't finish the dlc from the first one so.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 20 hours in and just discovered what masterworks are...

Also, you can alter your weapons apparently?

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
They also totally changed how the campaign structures work.
You just click story missions on the map and it loads you in. No more "run to marker on map and start mission".
They also removed all the campaign rewards, like exotics and such.

Bungie is basically moving away from any of the "legacy" stuff which is: D2 Vanilla, Curse of Osiris, Warmind and Forsaken
The story moved past them and they are now just old things they apparently don't really care about whether you do them or not and which you will never experience the same way that people who were there on launch did.

New Light is like a "soft reboot" basically.
Honestly, I feel this whole F2P thing is less about "growing the community" and more about them having a "reason" to put in more and more microtransactions to make money with and to legitimate the "buy a new season for 10$ every 2 months" thing.

Really? :( DAMN .. i have it downloaded and wanted to set some time soon to go passed vanilla d2 i finished long time ago...
soo its just whatever is on the big map and what the reward say you get? or do i need mats/currenty to buy what i want? or do strikes/raids?

lol how do i get my exotics!?

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Kills, activities, etc, will count towards triumphs automatically, without any bounties.
Bounties and quests, you have to have picked up the bounty/quest in order to earn progress towards completing it.

There are, at this point, a kajillion-bajillion daily bounties available and I, personally, don't stress myself out trying to complete every single thing every day, but it's generally worth picking up a handful at a time that are relevant to whatever activity you feel like doing (or that can be done in any activity/location).

Generally, you will find yourself doing some gameplay flow like
log in -> go to Tower, grab bounties you can do on any planet -> go to planet -> grab planet bounties -> complete the bounties you picked up -> return to tower to check postmaster, grab more bounties, shuffle gear around, etc.
or
log in -> go to tower, grab bounties for crucible/strikes/gambit/etc -> queue for crucible/strikes/gambit/etc -> complete bounties -> return to tower to check postmaster, grab more bounties, shuffle gear around, etc.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Kills, activities, etc, will count towards triumphs automatically, without any bounties.
Bounties and quests, you have to have picked up the bounty/quest in order to earn progress towards completing it.

There are, at this point, a kajillion-bajillion daily bounties available and I, personally, don't stress myself out trying to complete every single thing every day, but it's generally worth picking up a handful at a time that are relevant to whatever activity you feel like doing (or that can be done in any activity/location).

Generally, you will find yourself doing some gameplay flow like
log in -> go to Tower, grab bounties you can do on any planet -> go to planet -> grab planet bounties -> complete the bounties you picked up -> return to tower to check postmaster, grab more bounties, shuffle gear around, etc.
or
log in -> go to tower, grab bounties for crucible/strikes/gambit/etc -> queue for crucible/strikes/gambit/etc -> complete bounties -> return to tower to check postmaster, grab more bounties, shuffle gear around, etc.
Thanks. I guess I am used to other MMOs where many of the quest givers are closer to the action in nearby "towns" and "going to the big city" is a relatively rare event. Here there's maybe one or two NPCs on a planet near the action that I can tell. The slow tower loading and transition is very game breaking to the flow considering that's where most of the quest turn/in pickup happens.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Staten wasn't fired. I'm pretty sure he left after his "too campy" story was taken away from him and hastily retooled into whatever it was that shipped in Destiny 1.
It's funny how 2014's Bungie considered "that wizard came from the moon" to be too goofy for them since they ended up going Full Borderlands with Destiny 2.
I think I just miss the feeling of adventure and a universe full of potential stories and techno-organic horror that Destiny 1 evoked. I forget the name of the bosses and sub bosses now, but I would legit get excited and anxious the first time I fought that REALLY giant eyeball servitor thing in Destiny 1, or even the giant spider. I enjoyed the feeling of reaching areas where the enemies were too powerful and required me to level up to do damage. I always felt that the mode of Destiny was "Space cops or Space Knights", and when I read Staten's orginL plans about how the game would progess with wizards and such, it was exciting.
The game started to sour for me when bosses became what looked liked "named" normal enemies with weak patterns and swarms of assists enemies. Or, closed wave rooms like some poor man's horde mode.
Then Destiny dropped all pretense of a story. By the time the Taken King finished, I had no idea who was who, why these people were doing kamikaze runs and screaming, or who anything or anybody was!

The last time I enjoyed playing the game was when Bungie first introduced small team strikes that played out like mini raids utilizing mechanics not and approaches not typical in the moment to moment gameplay.
They slowed on that too.
Everytime I start Destiny 2, I start whatever the first few fetch quests are and just loose interest.
No idea why I keep trying to make myself like this game. I guess I just miss Halo.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I've written this out a few times, but this is what you should, imo, do as a brand new player:

Finish the tutorial mission.

Read the pop up that appears when you visit the tower. It will show you a Symbol (blue diamond with the Destiny logo), speak with EVERY NPC on the map in the tower that has this symbol before you do anything else. Read what they say carefully and look at what they offer.

-- The game does not explain its systems well, but you can extrapolate a lot of stuff if you really pay attention. Banshee-44, for instance, sells two mods per day: 1 weapon and 1 armour. Then if you check your weapons and armour you will see you can choose a mod for each. This is in no way making an excuse for the game's poor on-boarding, BUT it will help you a lot if you do this.

Play the old campaigns. An NPC called Amanda Holiday in the Hanger in the Tower has these. She is one of the NPCs mentioned above. If you play these campaigns, you will be caught up with current D2 story. It is not complex at all, standard light Vs Dark stuff, and you do not need to know D1 story to get where Destiny 2 is. It's very generic, but it will give context to all the story stuff you hear in strikes and end game activities.

Once you finish all the campaigns you own, you should move on to increasing your power level. You will do this by loot gained via play in ANY activity. Once you hit 900, you will notice yellow orb symbols appear next to some destinations in the main destination tab. These are called 'Challenges' and they will reward you with powerful gear that goes above 900.
--- See this image. This is what Gambit Prime, for exmaple, will show you when you hit PL900. The challenge will appear. This one requires you to complete 3 matches.

iOBikk.jpg

Challenges will reward items that are slightly above your power level, and each tier offers slightly more boost than the previous.

You need to complete these in order to level up further. You will also randomly find prime engrams which are legendary engrams that give powerful rewards that go above 900.

The activities you choose in step 4 depend on what content you own. With the base game and New Light (the F2P content) you will have access to a lot of quests. Some of these will reward an exotic weapon, some will further the story a little, It is up to you to choose which you want to work on. If you go to your Quests tab you will see two areas: Quests and Bounties.

Quests are your basic MMO style quest chains. Go to X area and kill Y, collect X amount of Y, play a harder variant of mission X, etc...

Bounties are daily or weekly single stage quests that reward you with materials and XP.

Learn which NPCs give what type of bounty, for example: Zavala in the tower hands out Strike bounties, Shaxx hands out Crucible bounties, Ada hands out Black Armory (forges) bounties, Drifter hands out Gambit bounties. You should always collect these, daily and weekly, before you engage in the activities they match. There are also NPCs on each planet who offer 3 dail bounties that reward that planet's resource and xp.

Most of these vendors will have items you can buy from them. To access these you need to unlock a certain amount of packages. To gain packages from each vendor you need to hand in the materials they take in exchange. A package will contain a legendary piece of gear from their specific loot pool. They also contain bonus items like shaders and weapon/armour mods.

Example: Shaxx's crucible bounties award XP and crucible tokens. Every 20 tokens gets you a package which contains a single weapon or piece of armour from the crucible loot pool.

So, this will be your standard gameplay loop after beating the campaigns and reaching PL 900:

- Complete activities that reward you with powerful gear.
- Work on any Quests you have that reward the weapons and gear you want.
- Try to overlap bounties, quests, and challenges so you can make efficient progress.

As you level up, more activities will become available to you like the harder levels of nightfalls and the raid. Your main goal in this game is to reach max PL (960) and chase gear to build load outs for end-game and general play.

That's the basic gameplay, but there is a lot of other stuff that you should understand that you will probably need to look up or ask about. The game does a poor job of explaining its systems overall, but f you have experience with RPGs and MMO type games it's not very complex. You will be able wo work it out fairly quickly once you stop feeling overwhelmed with the various systems.

Ok, that's a lot of stuff... why should I even bother to put all that effort in to learning?
Honestly? While Destiny's onboarding is frustrating and poorly explained, the game offers some of the absolute best co-op FPS gameplay available. To the point it absolutely stomps on the competition.

Not only is the minute to minute gameplay top tier, but there is a large variety of activities to choose from. End game in Destiny is amazing, and supports both solo and group play.

The game offers:

- Campaigns: single player curated FPS campaigns.
- Patrols: free-roam areas that have public events, lost sectors, hunts, chests and resources to farm, etc..
- Strikes: missions where you travel from A->B taking out enemies and making your way to a boss.
- Gambit/Bambit Prime: a PvEvP mode where two opposing teams battle out alongside each other to kill enemies, bank motes, and take down a boss.
- Reckoning: a 3 player activity tied to the Gambit modes that has 3 guardians crossing a bridge and entering another realm to kill a boss.
- Crucible: PvP with various modes. Clash, Control, Rumble. A competitive playlist with unique rewards attached, and now a solo comp queue!
- Nightfalls: hard mode variants of strikes with higher rewards.
- Menagerie: a 6 player activity with raid-lite mechanics that you set a "recipe" for a specific weapon you are rewarded with on completion.
- Forges: 3 player horde mode type that allows you to forge specific weapons.
- Pinnacle and Relic weapons: quest chains that reward you with a specific weapon
- Exotic quests: quest chains that reward you with an exotic weapon.
- Dreaming City is a more end-game focused patrol area that comes with Forsaken. It has unique activities like Blind Well (a public event style horde mode) and the Ascendant challenges (a weekly challenge that takes you to a unique area to complete a specific activity).
- Dungeons and unique exotic endgame missions: Shattered Throne, Zero Hour, Whisper of the Worm. Unique missions with unique loot. Zero Hour, for instance, gives yo u20 minutes to battle through encounters and find your way through a jump puzzle style challenge to take down the boss before you run out of time - this specific mission is the last stage of the Outbreak Perfected exotic pulse rifle.
- Raids: the pinnacle end-game activity. 6 guardians group to take down a sequence of challenges that reward with unique loot. Communication and team work is key, this is what you've been gearing up for!
-- and more!

There is a lot to chew on whether you're causally playing or gearing up for end game. The end-game is challenging and fun, some of it has matchmaking, some if it requires you to build a group yourself, but all of it is engaging and, imo, better than any other loot shooter/RPG type out there.

I play solo for the majority of my game time. I use matchmaking to play certain activities, and I solo some of the end-game content. I will group up via our community OT and discord for raids and some challenging missions. There is a lot for you whichever of these types of play you prefer.

The social aspects of this game are where it truly shines though. Playing end-game missions and dungeons with a group of 3, or Raiding with 5 other guardians is unlike any other type of raid type experience I've had. No other FPS/shooter game of this type does it quite as well.

Our community is friendly, helpful, and knowledgable. It supports people who play every day and people who only have an hour here and there. We have sherpas in our discord - guardians whose role it is to help new and old players alike, and if you ask for help we will try our best to accommodate you.

Destiny is a messy game. Destiny does a bad job of onboarding players. BUT Destiny also offers some of the most fun, memorable, and rewarding content available today.

Join us in the OT: https://www.resetera.com/threads/destiny-2-shadowkeep-ot-moons-haunted.143094/
PM Ruthless for an invite to the discord.

Last edited:

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I've written this out a few times, but this is what you should, imo, do as a brand new player:

Read the pop up that appears when you visit the tower. It will show you a Symbol (blue diamond with the Destiny logo), speak with EVERY NPC on the map in the tower that has this symbol before you do anything else. Read what they say carefully and look at what they offer.

-- The game does not explain its systems well, but you can extrapolate a lot of stuff if you really pay attention. Banshee-44, for instance, sells two mods per day: 1 weapon and 1 armour. Then if you check your weapons and armour you will see you can choose a mod for each. This is in no way making an excuse for the game's poor on-boarding, BUT it will help you a lot if you do this.

Play the old campaigns. An NPC called Amanda Holiday in the Hanger in the Tower has these. She is one of the NPCs mentioned above. If you play these campaigns, you will be caught up with current D2 story. It is not complex at all, standard light Vs Dark stuff, and you do not need to know D1 story to get where Destiny 2 is. It's very generic, but it will give context to all the story stuff you hear in strikes and end game activities.

Once you finish all the campaigns you own, you should move on to increasing your power level. You will do this by loot gained via play in ANY activity. Once you hit 900, you will notice yellow orb symbols appear next to some destinations in the main destination tab. These are called 'Challenges' and they will reward you with powerful gear that goes above 900.
--- See this image. This is what Gambit Prime, for exmaple, will show you when you hit PL900. The challenge will appear. This one requires you to complete 3 matches.

iOBikk.jpg

Challenges will reward items that are slightly above your power level, and each tier offers slightly more boost than the previous.

You need to complete these in order to level up further. You will also randomly find prime engrams which are legendary engrams that give powerful rewards that go above 900.

The activities you choose in step 4 depend on what content you own. With the base game and New Light (the F2P content) you will have access to a lot of quests. Some of these will reward an exotic weapon, some will further the story a little, It is up to you to choose which you want to work on. If you go to your Quests tab you will see two areas: Quests and Bounties.

Quests are your basic MMO style quest chains. Go to X area and kill Y, collect X amount of Y, play a harder variant of mission X, etc...

Bounties are daily or weekly single stage quests that reward you with materials and XP.

Learn which NPCs give what type of bounty, for example: Zavala in the tower hands out Strike bounties, Shaxx hands out Crucible bounties, Ada hands out Black Armory (forges) bounties, Drifter hands out Gambit bounties. You should always collect these, daily and weekly, before you engage in the activities they match. There are also NPCs on each planet who offer 3 dail bounties that reward that planet's resource and xp.

Most of these vendors will have items you can buy from them. To access these you need to unlock a certain amount of packages. To gain packages from each vendor you need to hand in the materials they take in exchange. A package will contain a legendary piece of gear from their specific loot pool. They also contain bonus items like shaders and weapon/armour mods.

Example: Shaxx's crucible bounties award XP and crucible tokens. Every 20 tokens gets you a package which contains a single weapon or piece of armour from the crucible loot pool.

So, this will be your standard gameplay loop after beating the campaigns and reaching PL 900:

- Try to overlap bounties, quests, and challenges so you can make efficient progress.

As you level up, more activities will become available to you like the harder levels of nightfalls and the raid. Your main goal in this game is to reach max PL (960) and chase gear to build load outs for end-game and general play.

That's the basic gameplay, but there is a lot of other stuff that you should understand that you will probably need to look up or ask about. The game does a poor job of explaining its systems overall, but f you have experience with RPGs and MMO type games it's not very complex. You will be able wo work it out fairly quickly once you stop feeling overwhelmed with the various systems.

Ok, that's a lot of stuff... why should I even bother to put all that effort in to learning?
Honestly? While Destiny's onboarding is frustrating and poorly explained, the game offers some of the absolute best co-op FPS gameplay available. To the point it absolutely stomps on the competition.

Not only is the minute to minute gameplay top tier, but there is a large variety of activities to choose from. End game in Destiny is amazing, and supports both solo and group play.

Nightfalls, dungeons, hard mode variants of strikes, unique exotic missions, raids. There is a lot to chew on if you're into gearing up for end game. Some of this has matchmaking, others require you to build a group yourself, but all of it is engaging and, imo, better than any other loot shooter/RPG type out there.

I play solo for the majority of my game time. I use matchmaking to play certain activities, and I solo some of the end-game content. I will group up via our community OT and discord for raids and some challenging missions. There is a lot for you whichever of these types of play you prefer.

The social aspects of this game are where it truly shines though. Playing end-game missions and dungeons with a group of 3, or Raiding with 5 other guardians is unlike any other type of raid type experience I've had. No other FPS/shooter game of this type does it quite as well.

Our community is friendly, helpful, and knowledgable. It supports people who play every day and people who only have an hour here and there. We have sherpas in our discord - guardians whose role it is to help new and old players alike, and if you ask for help we will try out best to accommodate you.

Destiny is a messy game. Destiny does a bad job of onboarding players. BUT Destiny also offers some of the most fun, memorable, and rewarding content available today.

Join us in the OT: https://www.resetera.com/threads/destiny-2-shadowkeep-ot-moons-haunted.143094/
Amazing post.

It's a shame the game is off-putting at first because the actual gameplay is fantastic. The gunplay is satisfying and as you say moment to moment it's such fun.

It's just the game kinds throws you in there and expects you to know what everything means. It makes the onboarding of Warframe seem like a breeze. You've sincerely done a better job at explaining Destiny than Destiny did.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
The slow tower loading and transition is very game breaking to the flow considering that's where most of the quest turn/in pickup happens.
Yeah, the tower load times are kind-of awful and have somewhat reached meme status among the community, lol.

But on the bright side, bounties are turned in/completed just from within the quest menu and quests complete/advance to the next step automatically, so on that front you only have to go back to the tower if a quest step specifically tells you to go back there and talk to someone, or to pick up new things.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing post.

It's a shame the game is off-putting at first because the actual gameplay is fantastic. The gunplay is satisfying and as you say moment to moment it's such fun.

It's just the game kinds throws you in there and expects you to know what everything means. It makes the onboarding of Warframe seem like a breeze. You've sincerely done a better job at explaining Destiny than Destiny did.
Cheers., I updated the last part with a basic overview of what the game offers in terms of gameplay too.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

iOBikk.jpg

The game offers:

- Patrols: free-roam areas that have public events, lost sectors, hunts, chests and resources to farm, etc..
- Strikes: missions where you travel from A->B taking out enemies and making your way to a boss.
- Gambit/Bambit Prime: a PvEvP mode where two opposing teams battle out alongside each other to kill enemies, bank motes, and take down a boss.
- Reckoning: a 3 player activity tied to the Gambit modes that has 3 guardians crossing a bridge and entering another realm to kill a boss.
- Crucible: PvP with various modes. Clash, Control, Rumble. A competitive playlist with unique rewards attached, and now a solo comp queue!
- Menagerie: a 6 player activity with raid-lite mechanics that you set a "recipe" for a specific weapon you are rewarded with on completion.
- Pinnacle and Relic weapons: quest chains that reward you with a specific weapon
- Dreaming City is a more end-game focused patrol area that comes with Forsaken. It has unique activities like Blind Well (a public event style horde mode) and the Ascendant challenges (a weekly challenge that takes you to a unique area to complete a specific activity).
- Dungeons and unique exotic endgame missions: Shattered Throne, Zero Hour, Whisper of the Worm. Unique missions with unique loot. Zero Hour, for instance, gives yo u20 minutes to battle through encounters and find your way through a jump puzzle style challenge to take down the boss before you run out of time - this specific mission is the last stage of the Outbreak Perfected exotic pulse rifle.
- Raids: the pinnacle end-game activity. 6 guardians group to take down a sequence of challenges that reward with unique loot. Communication and team work is key, this is what you've been gearing up for!
-- and more!

There is a lot to chew on whether you're causally playing or gearing up for end game. The end-game is challenging and fun, some of it has matchmaking, some if it requires you to build a group yourself, but all of it is engaging and, imo, better than any other loot shooter/RPG type out there.

Our community is friendly, helpful, and knowledgable. It supports people who play every day and people who only have an hour here and there. We have sherpas in our discord - guardians whose role it is to help new and old players alike, and if you ask for help we will try our best to accommodate you.

giphy.gif

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017

iOBikk.jpg

The game offers:

-- and more!

Thank you. I screenshot these steps so I can apply them later when I play.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So, is there a reason to do the campaigns if you don't care about the story? like unlocking areas, gear, etc... or campaigns are just for story purposes?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, is there a reason to do the campaigns if you don't care about the story? like unlocking areas, gear, etc... or campaigns are just for story purposes?

Just story. Feel free to skip. They ain't too interesting. Half of CoO and Warmind's story is in the strike playlist as strikes anyway.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I started for the first time last night and had no clue what the hell I was doing and still am not sure if I was doing the right quest. I managed to find some person in a tower of a church and got..... something? Some sort of quest. I have no clue if I was doing the "main" quest or what. And that was after warping to random locations on the map that I thought it was telling me to go to but not seeing any markers once I loaded in. I uninstalled it lol. I don't think Destiny is for me.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Once I got to the Citadel I followed the blue quest markers and read everything that came up on the screen.
I ended up on Earth helping a guy in a church.
I haven't done much more than that but it didn't seem too complicated to me.

Since then I've seen this guide that might help people

Just wanted to highlight this guide for anyone that missed it. As someone completely new to Destiny 2 it's a nice explanation of the basics and how to get started.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
So if I am 100% free to play and I have finished the main red army campaign, curse of Osiris, and warmind, then that's pretty much everything I get for free unless I can get people together and do an old raid?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So if I am 100% free to play and I have finished the main red army campaign, curse of Osiris, and warmind, then that's pretty much everything I get for free unless I can get people together and do an old raid?
New Light next with moon patrol and some other bits.

Are you feeling the need for more? If so, I would highly recommend Forsaken next.

You will get:
Forsaken Campaign
Tangled shore patrol
Dreaming City patrol with unique activities: Blind Well and Ascendent Challenges, and new loot pools.
And all the Y2 content for free as that pass is free now, and there is so much there: Gambit updates, black armoury forges, loads of exotic quests, raids, shattered throne, exotic quests with unique missions.... and more.

£30 so for all of this is a steal.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
New Light next with moon patrol and some other bits.

Are you feeling the need for more? If so, I would highly recommend Forsaken next.

You will get:
Forsaken Campaign
Tangled shore patrol
Dreaming City patrol with unique activities: Blind Well and Ascendent Challenges, and new loot pools.
And all the Y2 content for free as that pass is free now, and there is so much there: Gambit updates, black armoury forges, loads of exotic quests, raids, shattered throne, exotic quests with unique missions.... and more.

£30 so for all of this is a steal.
You do not need Forsaken to do Tangled Shore and Dreaming City patrol
You also don't need Forsaken for the forges or for Gambit.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who also plays Warframe, I'm am not sure how D2 was able to beat WF in how disjointed and hard to figure out they made the campaign for new comers. Glad I did all of that a year ago. Still miffed on why they want me to repeat all of it as the first time I logged in they were all on my to do list...