• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
Yep. I teamed up with my buddy to show him the ropes and we had no idea how to even start his game. I couldn't see what he was seeing, and he didn't know what to look for exactly. We eventually tried the heroic daily on Earth in hopes I'll just carry him to some better gear, and even that didn't give us anything after we finished it.

Now I know you gotta go to the hanger. Lol. They put it in a place that has nothing in it, with an NPC that you'll never talk to. Nice.

Edit: Now that you don't have to do the story, how does leveling work? Is it Light Level right out the gate? And what about the abilities that used to be tied to story progression? They just all unlocked from the start?

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I teamed up with my buddy to show him the ropes and we had no idea how to even start his game. I couldn't see what he was seeing, and he didn't know what to look for exactly. We eventually tried the heroic daily on Earth in hopes I'll just carry him to some better gear, and even that didn't give us anything after we finished it.

Now I know you gotta go to the hanger. Lol. They put it in a place that has nothing in it, with an NPC that you'll never talk to. Nice.

Edit: Now that you don't have to do the story, how does leveling work? Is it Light Level right out the gate? And what about the abilities that used to be tied to story progression? They just all unlocked from the start?
Everything is unlocked right away. Now you need to level two things:

Your power level via gear.
Your artefact via XP.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good youtube videos that shows what its like for a new player now? Like what the game looks like when you first start?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good youtube videos that shows what its like for a new player now? Like what the game looks like when you first start?
You playback slightly reworked version of the vmD1 tutorial mission, then you're put in the tower and told to speak with all the relevant NPCs and then expected the get on with it.

Some are finding it pretty confusing.

Yeah, I think I'm done. There's no reason whatsoever to touch the "legacy" campaigns and that was the main reason I was looking forward to the new release.
Sure it suxks they removed those, but you were only looking forward to the campaigns for the exotic items they removed?

You will still earn loot you can keep and level up to use in end game, and exotic drops rates and acquisition in general are very fair right now.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
No. I played through the Red War earlier this year and it was super meh, but at least I was rewarded with various exotics for doing so.

Now? Lemme just waste a dozen hours in a loot game for no reason at all.

those campaigns aren't part of the current loot progression. I don't get this complaint. If I play WoW and play through old content it doesn't give me new loot. Why would this?

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
Finally started playing last night. I got to the tower and went straight to Amanda. loaded up The Red War and have generally just been following that quest line.

It seems relatively straight forward just doing that, but it seems like I'm missing out on side-quests, in the form of bounties?
I haven't bothered with them yet because it looks like they cost glimmer to accept, which seems like the primary currency right now. Just seemed strange that I would have to pay to start a quest so I've left it for the moment as I only have like, 20k and didnt want to accidentally blow all my cash.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So I've started on PC and holy hell is this game hard to understand. They have what at first glance seems a decent tutorial but then it just drops you into the hub area with 50 map icons and says nothing to you essentially.

Quests work in strange ways, the maps are obtuse, the terminology used for tasks is confusing (e.g. I had to Google what calibrating a gun meant, turns out it just means using it!), there is next to no story imparted to the player after the intro, the main quest line consists of simply get better gear. Also holy bounties (repeatable quests) batman. Every activity has loads of them then there are pursuits and god knows what else. My quest log is a godamn mess and I havent a clue how to complete half of it.

On the other hand the combat is really fun and particularly satisfying when you get some weapons you like.

I'm really torn on it basically.